Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Insert some tired Game of Thrones joke here:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/emilia-clarke-joins-marvel-secret-180147944.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1384568092236214275

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
No no no no gently caress

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The twist in Secret Invasion is that the British are reinvading. Every single cast member except Sam Jackson is English.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

I hope you don’t mean the United States, because at worst we’ve been inconvenienced. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about other places, but I live in fly over chud country and I now have a short fuse.

Yep, places like Canada, Hong Kong and Hungary are more in line with examples of what would a post snap situation feel like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It still seems kind of weird to close out Phase 4 with a $200 million streaming-only TV show with so many huge actors instead of doing Secret Invasion as a movie.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Guess we should start laying markers on who is an alien in these shows. Sharon Carter is already a Kree infiltrator.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh shapeshifter stories loving suck

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mameluke posted:

The Animorphs Syndicated Television Series.

Checkmate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mameluke posted:

???

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Firebert posted:

No no no no gently caress

Did she kill your dog or something?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

shoulda said! "ugh stories about the paranoia of "Who Is A Shapeshifter" loving suck", i do like beast boy

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

stev posted:

Did she kill your dog or something?

She's a terrible actress lol

I'm going to laugh if they make her character a Skrull and then have to digitally re-add eyebrows to her because she can't emote without them

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Mameluke posted:

shoulda said! "ugh stories about the paranoia of "Who Is A Shapeshifter" loving suck", i do like beast boy

I mean, John Carpenter's The Thing is a movie masterpiece though

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mameluke posted:

Counter Point:

- The Thing
- Animorphs Season 2, Episode 20 "Face Off, Part 2" where Jake is knocked into the Yeerk pool.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
There was an Animorphs tv show?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Its Rinaldo posted:

It was more of an unprecedented serialized cinematic experience than a "TV show."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yeah in like 99-2001? It features Sean ashmore AKA Iceman

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah in like 99-2001? It features Sean ashmore AKA Iceman

All you had to say was "Iceman"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

TheTofuShop posted:

I remember watching Infinity War in a relatively filled theatre, but not packed, and after the credits were all done and I walked out, there was a pair of ladies who had come out just before me. One was sitting on a bench and asked her friend "are you okay?" The other was on her hands and knees weeping and she replied "No I'm not okay I just wanna diiiiieeeee" :smith:

Lol

When the snap happened and people started to dust. One guy started laughing and another guy yelled and told him to shut the gently caress up followed by another guy/or laughing guy telling him to fuckin relax its a movie

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lol

When the snap happened and people started to dust. One guy started laughing and another guy yelled and told him to shut the gently caress up followed by another guy/or laughing guy telling him to fuckin relax its a movie

When I went to see Endgame in theaters, I sat through like 20 minutes of adds and trailers and when the movie started, the camera panned across a giant dune of swirling sand and I was just like, "Jesus, gently caress, all the dusted people have left sand dunes!". But, then, nope, it was the trailer for the live action Aladdin. I was disappointed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mameluke posted:

I was gonna say "but Deep Space Nine!" but then I remembered that the writers invented a reason to not have to do shapeshifter stories with the shapeshifters anymore lmao

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Manimal on the MCU when?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Floppychop posted:

I generally avoid 3D movies at all costs, just because so many are of the style where it's just tacked on later (like you said). But the first movie I saw in 3D that made me think "this is cool" was TRON 2, it added depth to the screen without gratuitous pop-outs.

Pre-COVID I worked in a theater, and American audiences are almost universally crazy loud. I absolutely hate it, and I'm born and raised in the US.

I was just thinking why couldn't we watch 3d movies on the 3ds? That feels like a function the system was made for. Not even the Netflix app supported it from what I can remember.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

When I went to see Endgame in theaters, I sat through like 20 minutes of adds and trailers

It's gotten really bad. Now there's literal commercials, and longer than the 30 second ones you'd see on cable tv. Even worse is that it's not even poo poo like "go buy soda X and candy Y at the concession stand" it's straight up poo poo like cell phone ads. It's almost a 50/50 ratio of trailers to ads. Seeing trailers is expected and kind of part of movie theater culture, getting ads before seeing something you've paid for is not.

Pre-covid I was a manager at a theater, and I had to field so many loving complaints about it. Warning: don't ever work for a theater in the US

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, ads before trailers have been a thing as long as I can remember. It's roughly 30 minutes between the listed start time and the actual start time - which means most people mistime it and turn up 10 minutes late.

Putting ads in something you're already charging money for is reprehensible and should be a criminal offence but :capitalism:.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My local AMC theater has a "pre-show" with Maria Menounos that lasts about 25 minutes and starts 10 minutes before the "official" start time of the movie. Combined with trailers, a movie starting at 6 pm will actually end up starting around 6:25.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in Canada the ads play past the labelled start time of the movie pretty often. And we have the Cineplex ad-show hosted by some intern where they talk about George Clooney and mention some light tentpole trivia

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The twist in Secret Invasion is that the British are reinvading. Every single cast member except Sam Jackson is English.

Ben Mendelsohn is Australian.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Floppychop posted:

It's gotten really bad. Now there's literal commercials, and longer than the 30 second ones you'd see on cable tv. Even worse is that it's not even poo poo like "go buy soda X and candy Y at the concession stand" it's straight up poo poo like cell phone ads. It's almost a 50/50 ratio of trailers to ads. Seeing trailers is expected and kind of part of movie theater culture, getting ads before seeing something you've paid for is not.

Pre-covid I was a manager at a theater, and I had to field so many loving complaints about it. Warning: don't ever work for a theater in the US

I remember before the ad madness here in my country's Cinepolis there would be a radio show (if you came too early) so you would get to listen to some nice songs, then a few trailers, then "buy popcorn!!" and that was it. Edit: Sometimes if you were lucky they were no ads and the movie would start right away. That was so cool.

At certain moment they started to fill it with ads that were completely unrelated with the movie experience. The ones that I remember are the political ones, which sucked rear end (it was a terrible party), and the ones for a supermarket. Like the week's sales and such. The supermarket went as far as making small cooking videos. Literally 3-2 minute cooking youtube-styled videos. :gonk:

I just wanna see the trailers.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Movie: 120 minutes
Trailers: 20 minutes
Announcements: 5 minutes
“Pre-show” advertisements: 45 minutes

Someone good at programming please help me, my industry is dying

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Desperado Bones posted:

I remember before the ad madness here in my country's Cinepolis there would be a radio show (if you came too early) so you would get to listen to some nice songs, then a few trailers, then "buy popcorn!!" and that was it. Edit: Sometimes if you were lucky they were no ads and the movie would start right away. That was so cool.

At certain moment they started to fill it with ads that were completely unrelated with the movie experience. The ones that I remember are the political ones, which sucked rear end (it was a terrible party), and the ones for a supermarket. Like the week's sales and such. The supermarket went as far as making small cooking videos. Literally 3-2 minute cooking youtube-styled videos. :gonk:

I just wanna see the trailers.

Oh, yeah! "La Magia del Cine" where they played songs from movies with a trivia about each one. That was before the trailers and ads. That one was kinda cool.

About a month ago I went to see Godzilla vs. Kong in the theater, since the Covid risk was low at the time, and my mom and grandma finally got their shots, and felt a bit rushed to get there because I was running late, but then remembered the 20+ mins. of ads and relaxed again.

On a tangential note, if I was head-honcho of the theater chain I would hire Luis from Ant-Man to do quick recaps of movies to be shown before their sequels, just to cut down on the people asking "Hey, who's that?" when the movie starts.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Kal-L posted:

Oh, yeah! "La Magia del Cine" where they played songs from movies with a trivia about each one. That was before the trailers and ads. That one was kinda cool.

Yeah, it was sweet. Like, it wasn't intrusive or awful. Just some background noise for the ones that were in the room just TOO early. Good memories. And yeah, in 2019 (gently caress you covid) I would do the no worrying if the line for the popcorn was too long. Like, I have 20 minutes or more, and all seats are numbered so no one is gonna take mine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair posted:

Movie: 120 minutes
Trailers: 20 minutes
Announcements: 5 minutes
“Pre-show” advertisements: 45 minutes

Someone good at programming please help me, my industry is dying

Hate to tell you this, the ads are a symptom, not the cause. Y'know why a soda costs 9 bucks at the movies? Because they're more or less taking a loss on the movie itself. Selling ad space is a way to actually make money.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My local AMC theater has a "pre-show" with Maria Menounos that lasts about 25 minutes and starts 10 minutes before the "official" start time of the movie. Combined with trailers, a movie starting at 6 pm will actually end up starting around 6:25.

I'm so used to going to the movies and now can't that I get nostalgic whenever Maria Menounos shows up on the gas pump tv

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I just rewatched Thor 2. You know what? Not awful. Not nearly as awful as I remember. It had some good laughs and Darcy was in it, so that's cool. The villains had zero personality besides "light bad!", but it was otherwise a pretty watchable Marvel movie.

edit: also, I love how I tried to make a joke about how I thought the opening shot of Endgame was a desert of corpse dandruff and you guys latched onto the part about the the ads and trailers being too long. Never change, goons.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

edit: also, I love how I tried to make a joke about how I thought the opening shot of Endgame was a desert of corpse dandruff and you guys latched onto the part about the the ads and trailers being too long. Never change, goons.

I miss going to the movies. That's why. :sigh:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Staying on topic is for squares.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I just rewatched Thor 2. You know what? Not awful. Not nearly as awful as I remember.

It's hard to write off any MCU film as entirely awful. Even my personal least favorite MCU films (Thor 2, Age of Ultron, Captain Marvel) are at worst "forgettable", not "bad", and still have scenes that are genuinely good. It's just often the case that the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s not called “Something Topical”