Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pierson posted:

God drat Titanfall 2 is still so loving good.

If they released a DLC of more single player story I'd buy 10 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've started doing more overt Titanfall references in the Apex Legends lore stuff recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they're steadily gearing up for TF3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk9VD2nPuw

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Man I'd love Titanfall 3 but I don't think it'll happen. At least, not while Respawn is owned by EA. Apex may be large enough that they could break free.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

I wish I liked Yoku's Island Express but the metroidvania part was too strong. It sucks to backtrack when every screen requires you to nail a pinball shot.

I hear you. I got "stuck" in the game without knowing what I had to unlock/where to go next. This happens often with me as I rarely read the text/instructions in games, which is a me problem. Anyway, I did eventually finish Yoku's, and though I got very frustrated, I'd still recommend the game, as it's great overall.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pierson posted:

God drat Titanfall 2 is still so loving good.

I seem to have bought it during a sale last year.. guess I should get around to trying its campaign sometime.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Easily one of my favorite single-player FPS campaigns, if not my favorite. My only real complaint is that it's short. Like Leal said, I'd pay for a lot of DLC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Codeacious posted:

Man I'd love Titanfall 3 but I don't think it'll happen. At least, not while Respawn is owned by EA. Apex may be large enough that they could break free.

EA says Respawn are allowed to go back to Titanfall whenever they want, for whatever that's worth

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-is-putting-the-future-of-its-franchises-including-titanfall-into-its-studios-hands

Respawn said they weren't working on TF3 late last year though so if it happens it won't be for a while

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ambaire posted:

I seem to have bought it during a sale last year.. guess I should get around to trying its campaign sometime.

It’s extremely good. It makes full use of the mechanics that make the game unique and has surprisingly powerful emotional beats for a 5-hour campaign about a soldier and his giant robot

It is extremely short but I’d almost put that in the pro column, it’s like a British comedy, it tells the story it wants to tell and then ends before it gets tedious

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s extremely good. It makes full use of the mechanics that make the game unique and has surprisingly powerful emotional beats for a 5-hour campaign about a soldier and his giant robot

It is extremely short but I’d almost put that in the pro column, it’s like a British comedy, it tells the story it wants to tell and then ends before it gets tedious

You mean a giant robot and its sometimes-pilot :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Desperados 3 and its season pass are 50% off. If somebody wanted to play the best iteration of the Commandos formula to date now's the time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

a couple dozen sickass guns, and the hands that carry them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Accurate

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
There are a number of games I enjoy that are either in EA, or are games that release content packs regularly. Currently in order to see if any of these games have updated I go to their community hub and check their news tab. Is there anyway to get alerts, notifications or emails from certain games when they have a content update (not just news)?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

repiv posted:

EA says Respawn are allowed to go back to Titanfall whenever they want, for whatever that's worth

Just like EA said it was Respawn's choice to release Titanfall 2 between Battlefield and CoD.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I have nothing against apex, I’m glad it’s fans enjoy it so much, I just think the two games have a contrasting styles so I hope if we ever get a TF3 it doesn’t pull too much from apex.

That said, I still play tf2 multiplayer and have had a few other goons playing the past week. I’m always looking for more folks to play with no matter their skill level. I’m on the marvelous pro elite gamers discord, where we have a tf2 channel.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I have nothing against apex, I’m glad it’s fans enjoy it so much, I just think the two games have a contrasting styles so I hope if we ever get a TF3 it doesn’t pull too much from apex.

That said, I still play tf2 multiplayer and have had a few other goons playing the past week. I’m always looking for more folks to play with no matter their skill level. I’m on the marvelous pro elite gamers discord, where we have a tf2 channel.

Read the entire goddamn post, I know you're talking about Titanfall and I get to the end of it and my brain still goes "Wait what does Team Fortress 2... ah goddamnit." :negative:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My internet went down so I couldnt play my single player yet 'always online' game so gave Portal Reloaded a try.
Its basically more Portal with an extra portal.
Maps have been interesting so far and it took a little to fully grasp the new designs, but over all its pretty fun.
If you liked Portal that is.

Havent seen any Portal 2 layers yet, not sure if those exist.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, they added a pretty substantial new mode to Vermintide 2 with a free new update today that is kind of a roguelike mode where you go through expeditions that are levels in succession while gathering upgrades and new gear with currency you find on dead bodies and around the levels. Each level has randomized modifiers with some "cursed" levels with crazy modifiers like no pickups but enemies drop orbs on death that pinata ammo and health when you pop them. Shrines in game let you buy a new random weapon, upgrade weapon, get a new random boon, etc.

You have an FTL rear end roguelike rear end map that the team gets to vote on which level they want to go to next

There's shops that let you buy modifiers for yourself or the team. A lot of modifiers in this mode are new and you can make some truly OP poo poo by the end of an expedition

We finished on Veteran and it took maybe 90 minutes, but with practice I could see it taking less time to finish since you don't have to look for tomes or anything. We got 3 good chests at the end plus a shitload of XP, so when looking at it from a loot gained per time spent perspective it was honestly not too bad in the end. Really though we had a ton of fun with this. The mechanics in this game are great but replaying the same levels, even when you have all the DLCs, still gets tedious. They clearly put a lot of effort into this update and it shows, I'm sure people who leave reviews for this game are going to say it's stupid and bad and a waste of time but this poo poo rules.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 21, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

drat, they added a pretty substantial new mode to Vermintide 2... you don't have to look for tomes or anything.

loving sold. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

loving sold. Easily my least favorite part of the game.
Definitely. That was a major turnoff for me. Everyone wants 4 tomes every time for better loot and it's obnoxious busywork collecting them every single game. They should have just translated tomes into a difficulty adjustment you select before starting the level.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I liked my time with Vermintide 2 a lot, mostly got bored because yeah, it gets boring to do the same maps again and again and most of them didn't feel too special. This might get me to give it another go.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Orv posted:

Read the entire goddamn post, I know you're talking about Titanfall and I get to the end of it and my brain still goes "Wait what does Team Fortress 2... ah goddamnit." :negative:

Sorry! I am impressed to see the team fortress two thread still stay alive on these forums so I guess that game still has something still going on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah it's just my brain and acronyms both being dumb.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Palpek posted:

Desperados 3 and its season pass are 50% off. If somebody wanted to play the best iteration of the Commandos formula to date now's the time.

Such a good game-- I knew it was going to play well when I bought it, but I think what really blew me away was the level of polish. TONS of contextual dialogue and chatter between your characters, some great lighting effects, lots of environmental detail really makes the levels feel like little movie sets. I also really appreciated how modular the difficulty was, I could tune things to be as hard as I remembered Commandos being as a little kid but there were a ton of options available to make things less punishing.

Strongly recommend this game even to people not familiar with the genre -- I guess you could compare it to a squad based, real time with pause Hitman game?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Saoshyant posted:

The best VNs on Steam are, in order:
Steins;Gate

Can confirm that, once I was sufficiently invested by the story's third act, the voice acting in this completely transcended language barriers to destroy my composure. It was kind of surreal, honestly. I checked out the anime after the fact and it's remarkable how much more stilted the same voice actors are while voicing the same characters playing out the same story, when they have to speak the dialogue to align with existing animation. Didn't have anywhere near the same impact.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

loving loved this game when it first came out. It only got better with the DLC. If anyone likes Civ-light style boardgames mashed up in a Fallout world with four factions to chose from (mutants, aliens, robots and men), then this is the game for you. My only gripe is that when I played it originally the "dice rolling" screen would take a noticeable amount of time to complete. The dev may have fixed that though.

Found the dev's blog. Evidently he went from making very awesome video games, Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum to boardgame design to ... Science Fiction author? At any rate the dude is very creative and his blog is here: https://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/. I would buy Solium Infernum if it was on Steam in a heartbeat.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 21, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

explosivo posted:

drat, they added a pretty substantial new mode to Vermintide 2 [...]

Fatshark has a 40K Vermintide-like coming too. Darktide.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361210/Warhammer_40000_Darktide/

They might be the ones to break the streak of mediocre 40K games. And if not, Streum On picks up the slack and sends us through the event horizon of eurojank with their upcoming Necromunda shooter.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Can confirm that, once I was sufficiently invested by the story's third act, the voice acting in this completely transcended language barriers to destroy my composure. It was kind of surreal, honestly. I checked out the anime after the fact and it's remarkable how much more stilted the same voice actors are while voicing the same characters playing out the same story, when they have to speak the dialogue to align with existing animation. Didn't have anywhere near the same impact.

I kept falling off S;G because it takes forever to get started but when it does it's good.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Artelier posted:

Is there a way to play Sid Meier's Pirates without a numpad (pretty sure that was the control scheme in the original)? Asking for a friend who owns a 65% keyboard

If it's not a mass-market keyboard there's a chance it runs qmk in which case just add a layer with numpad keys.

otherwise, you could use autohotkey to remap your keyboard to have numpad keys while you play.

If you have Windows, you can do the same through the registry in a cleaner implementation. You do have to keep two reg files to swap around but it'll almost definitely work; https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm#registry

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

explosivo posted:

Vermintide 2 new update = no tomes

No tomes!? Hell yeah, thanks for the heads-up on this as I am definitely coming back knowing that. That was the number 1 issue I had with the game: love the combat, love the characters, love everything except the pace being ruined by awkward follow-the-leader backtracking over collecting tomes and grimoires (and heaven forbid you state that you don't want to bother with tomes, nobody wants to hear anything but full clears despite the group getting killed over it several times before). Dunno why tomes weren't phased over from Vermintide 1 to 2, or at least relegated to just single player as just bonus easter eggs.

Orv posted:

Woke up today and my first thought was "Man Section 8 was cool, those games deserved better." Alright brain, go off.

Do you mean Section 8 Prejudice, that cool multiplayer game where you drop in from space and such? I do remember that being pretty cool: whatever happened to it? Thinking about it, it had some interesting mechanics such as the aforementioned drop-in: was it actually not that great, or was this a Titanfall 2 situation where it was too ahead of its time or unlucky?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Y'all trying to tempt me to give Vermintide 2 and Fatshark another chance huh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Y'all trying to tempt me to give Vermintide 2 and Fatshark another chance huh

It's a lot of fun these days.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I go to check out the rat slayer 2 game because it's been years. Boy, did that game become fat file-wise. O_O

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

I go to check out the rat slayer 2 game because it's been years. Boy, did that game become fat file-wise. O_O

believe it or not, this update reduced the install size of the game by about 30 GB

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

believe it or not, this update reduced the install size of the game by about 30 GB

:captainpop: Wowsers.

Unrelated but related, I'm trying to avoid opening the Blizzard launcher because I know MW and Black Ops will both want to update for however many GBs that'll be. I'm not emotionally ready.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jamfrost posted:

:captainpop: Wowsers.

Unrelated but related, I'm trying to avoid opening the Blizzard launcher because I know MW and Black Ops will both want to update for however many GBs that'll be. I'm not emotionally ready.

Can't you shut off your internet and then open them, then change the auto update settings? Maybe? I haven't been on Blizzard for like a year plus since I quit Hearthstone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FutureCop posted:

Do you mean Section 8 Prejudice, that cool multiplayer game where you drop in from space and such? I do remember that being pretty cool: whatever happened to it? Thinking about it, it had some interesting mechanics such as the aforementioned drop-in: was it actually not that great, or was this a Titanfall 2 situation where it was too ahead of its time or unlucky?

It never really took off, was stuck with GFWL and all hope died when TimeGate died thanks to Gearbox embezzling money while getting them to make Colonial Marines for them.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Also as a heads-up, 11bit has a full bundle going on. If you ever wanted to get This War of Mine, Frostpunk, Children of Morta or the Anomaly series, now you can get them cheaper.
And you don't pay for what you already own.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/11bitBundleMadness

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Donnerberg posted:

Fatshark has a 40K Vermintide-like coming too. Darktide.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361210/Warhammer_40000_Darktide/

They might be the ones to break the streak of mediocre 40K games. And if not, Streum On picks up the slack and sends us through the event horizon of eurojank with their upcoming Necromunda shooter.

The nearly released trailer for Necromunda: Hired Gun just pushed me to actually getting hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYW7-aW9R7c&t=1s

And it comes out on June 1st for digital platforms so not much more time to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BexGu posted:

The nearly released trailer for Necromunda: Hired Gun just pushed me to actually getting hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYW7-aW9R7c&t=1s

And it comes out on June 1st for digital platforms so not much more time to wait.

drat, that looks really good. Wallrunning, bounty hunting and eurojank? I'm ready!