Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Graces' story isn't good but yeah, at least it's inoffensive and lets the characters breathe. And it's kind of got the Zestiria issue of most of the personality being in the skits but the main plot is about friendship instead of how people with depression should die and you don't spend the whole time being manipulated by a party member no one ever questions.

To not let this snipe be totally negative, and speaking of skits, I'm revisiting Eternia with a friend and the game is completely different if you watch all the skits compared to the English version (where 99% of them are gone). The characters come off as friends who've known each other for years, they get to know Meredy as a companion, Reid's personality is actually fun, and you can see Farah's character arc.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also a little funny that Cheria is literally Laura Bailey just doing her Rise from Persona voice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Tales of Symphonia a lot, but maybe I had just enough patience in my life for one solid god-killing angsty teen killing god JRPG that was my limit. I bought a combo disk of Symphonia 1 + 2 for PS3 but I never got around to playing the sequel.

I played through a fair amount of Phantasia on GBA, but I got stuck on some bit where I needed to run really fast and I don't actually remember much past the opening.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Sequal is really bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like* the story

*I like what it's going for more than what's actually presented in the game but still. Ratatosk emil deserved more screentime, they pretty much get rid of him the moment they should instead start focusing on him more

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Caphi posted:

Graces' story isn't good but yeah, at least it's inoffensive and lets the characters breathe. And it's kind of got the Zestiria issue of most of the personality being in the skits but the main plot is about friendship instead of how people with depression should die and you don't spend the whole time being manipulated by a party member no one ever questions.

To not let this snipe be totally negative, and speaking of skits, I'm revisiting Eternia with a friend and the game is completely different if you watch all the skits compared to the English version (where 99% of them are gone). The characters come off as friends who've known each other for years, they get to know Meredy as a companion, Reid's personality is actually fun, and you can see Farah's character arc.

Is there a mod or anything with translated skits for Eternia? I really liked it even without them

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Accel Mode from Graces f is one of my favorite gameplay mechanics in the series. Shame it’s only unlocked after the main story but making the frame rate suffocate by spamming Shooting Stars with Richard will never not be fun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/tn7CY1EHc7w

Tales of Arise set for September 9th in Japan.

https://youtu.be/uBacdxeJQNo

Gameplay and world trailer. Shows off a third party member.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 21, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game looks so dour im inexplicably worried they actually did get rid of skits, lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hopefully they just picked out the most bland stuff for what they were showing here and later trailers will be, more interesting

like even from a gameplay perspective, it's boring that they spend the whole seven minutes only showing off sword man. i wanna see how the other two control

e; oh they showed the other two off for like, a few seconds nvm

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 21, 2021

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Motto posted:

https://youtu.be/tn7CY1EHc7w

Tales of Arise set for September 9th in Japan.

https://youtu.be/uBacdxeJQNo

Gameplay and world trailer. Shows off a third party member.

Pretty sure punchy kicky boy is a party member too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bland posted:

yeah itd make sense to show the first four party members and they show him in what is pretty clearly combat

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gameplay looks fine but yeah i share the concern about how tonally bland it comes off as from this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bland posted:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202104/21218269.html

update: yaeh he is, famitsu has an article. main notes are team attacks/finishers are a big part of the combat system which makes me curious about co-op

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Main dude looks like level 10 MMO character

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

As long as the combat is in depth, it actually looks quite good and snappier than previous games, I am in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm an idiot lol

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

??? there's actual combat a minute into the gameplay trailer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

actual combat would be nice to see, not just ui-less screens of 3 people using an arte against enemies that barely have an idle animation and don't move

well, I guess the bear can turn around now and something died *shrug*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBacdxeJQNo

there's tons of combat in this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also names. we knew the main guy/main girls names already but as a refresher

Protag: Alphen
Rifle girl: Shionne
Mage Girl: Linwell?
Monk guy: Lowe?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

well gently caress me i only saw the article on siliconera which only shows weird 1 sec cutaways of artes being used against passive monsters

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

this game looks so dour im inexplicably worried they actually did get rid of skits, lol

Man I hope not, aside from the coop combat they're my favorite part of Tales

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man I hope not, aside from the coop combat they're my favorite part of Tales

i mean the article where they said they were toning down the 'anime' aspects has been directly contradicted by uh

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1384872338412511233

and thats the same article where they dodged the question of whether or not skits would return, so who knows

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well there is a part in the gameplay video with the skit icon on the bottom left. But the player doesn't activate it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Well there is a part in the gameplay video with the skit icon on the bottom left. But the player doesn't activate it.

oh thank god

im really curious what skits are like tho. theyre using the actual 3d models for every ui element, but skits with 3d models would come across really cheap.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Those camera angles make me nervous about multiplayer.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Those camera angles make me nervous about multiplayer.

JP website says 1 player only, unfortunately: https://toarise.tales-ch.jp/

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Goddamit they finally did it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game's really built around assist attacks/teamups/mid combat swapping, it looks like, so i can get how multiplayer is a limiting factor on that for a feature the majority of players dont use, but it still sucks.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Oh, there might be some hope. Berseria was listed as single player.

https://imgur.com/a/IJsV1Ue

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Arise is looking cool. I'm just glad to be playing another tales game soon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
where's the token kid, mascot character and backstabbing old man

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel the need to replay Berseria sometime.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Don’t forget the baps lady and the fujo dreamboat

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tired Moritz posted:

Hey we have had backstabbing young men and backstabbing token kids before as well.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don’t forget the baps lady and the fujo dreamboat
i'm afraid tales of arise is a serious game for serious gamers and has no time for big boob ladies

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/JayRPGee/status/1384899540269010953

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Post-victory scenes are one of my favorite things about Tales and I'm glad we're getting more of them it seems.

Also Graces is #1 for me on this front too. Which game has the best in aggregate?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

i'm afraid tales of arise is a serious game for serious gamers and has no time for big boob ladies

Not sure a big Tales game since Symphonia has done that so the balance of probabilities says big boob stays

I’m prepared to take the L though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Fujo dreamboat is the free space