Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The fun thing is that in addition to whatever the university concludes about what went wrong, they're probably going to have to formally contact the kernel maintainers to ask what they can do to make things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

The completely unrelated

In completely unrelated news, upcoming versions of Signal will be periodically fetching files to place in app storage. These files are never used for anything inside Signal and never interact with Signal software or data, but they look nice, and aesthetics are important in software. Files will only be returned for accounts that have been active installs for some time already, and only probabilistically in low percentages based on phone number sharding. We have a few different versions of files that we think are aesthetically pleasing, and will iterate through those slowly over time. There is no other significance to these files.

:yeshaha:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1384930082301620225?s=21

mystes
May 31, 2006

While they're at it be sure to ask whether bricking the devices would be a crime under the CFAA or whatever.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol that the umn study around validation of patches to the kernel ended up being a study around validation of studies approved by the department

the study itself feels like something that the sociology dept should have been doing rather than the cs dept anyway, its more about trust among distributed teams than anything to do with cs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and people in the sociology dept would be significantly more likely to have had any exposure to principles of ethics

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao awesome

hell of a week for minnesota.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so i've looked entirely too much into this linux kernel thing; here's the timeline

there are some research groups at umn that do legit security research on the linux kernel. they have written a ton of patches fixing apparently legitimate over-releases / leaks, presumably with the help of a static analyzer. many of those patches made it into the stable tree. a few months ago, some of the researchers submitted a handful of small but known-buggy patches. these patches were approved, but the researchers withdrew them immediately, pointing out the bugs. those patches do not seem to have made it into the stable tree. the researchers supposedly did this pseudonymously instead of trading on the university's history of good contributions; i'm not going to bother tracking that down to conform. the researchers wrote a pretty shoddy paper calling out the kernel reviewers, full of wisdom like recommending that codes of conduct forbid intentionally introducing bugs. i assume the reviewers did not appreciate this at all. more recently, one of the researchers submitted a patch under their real name which "fixes" a non-bug: it adds a null-check on something that anyone who understands the code would understand is not null. so it's a worthless patch, but not a buggy one, or really in any way dangerous. a couple of maintainers have decided that this worthless patch is of a kind with the previous buggy patches, that it demonstrates continued bad faith. those researchers are now reverting all the previous bug fixes from the stable tree and insisting they be re-reviewed

to me it seems obvious that (1) this particular group of researchers has some pretty low standards and (2) the kernel maintainers are mostly interested in taking revenge on the university for embarrassing them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. kinda wish they hadnt given them any heads up tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

I think the fact that patches with security flaws got accepted is more damning to the kernel team than UMN, IMO

edit: banning UMN and reverting their patches is objectively the correct thing to do, of course, as they are now a known malicious actor

it's kinda nice to have a version of the sokal affair where the nerds ate poo poo instead of "ha ha humanities aren't real academia" i guess

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
also, it is not at all clear-cut that this study was a violation of any ethical guidelines. psychology studies are basically always held under false pretenses. sociology studies like e.g. submitting resumes under the names "janet" and "keneisha" are regularly approved despite non-voluntary third-party involvement because the presumed impact on those third parties is very low. (a study where researchers actually went through with fake interviews would be much more problematic, but afaik these studies always stop short of that.) the burden of reviewing a minor patch is roughly comparable to the burden of screening a resume or answering a random email, things that are not seen as deep impositions. what the linux kernel maintainers are objecting to is the fact that they got shown up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

also, it is not at all clear-cut that this study was a violation of any ethical guidelines. psychology studies are basically always held under false pretenses. sociology studies like e.g. submitting resumes under the names "janet" and "keneisha" are regularly approved despite non-voluntary third-party involvement because the presumed impact on those third parties is very low. (a study where researchers actually went through with fake interviews would be much more problematic, but presumably these studies always stop short of that.) the burden of reviewing a minor patch is roughly comparable to the burden of screening a resume or answering a random email

those actions would trigger an irb review even if it was fast. to get an irb exemption in this situation requires that the researchers lied either explicitly or by omission

mystes
May 31, 2006

Huh, if the researchers immediately withdrew all the patches that were known to be vulnerable as soon as they were approved, that does make it seem a lot less bad than people have been saying.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

Huh, if the researchers immediately withdrew all the patches that were known to be vulnerable as soon as they were approved, that does make it seem a lot less bad than people have been saying.

yeah agreed. i understand the "this was a human experiment!" thing but it doesn't really move me much. it's mostly about the risk of introducing a vulnerability into the kernel.

like, the human part should've been vetted by the IRB and it's a problem if it wasn't, but i think it would've likely passed muster despite wasting time (cf the resume example)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

those actions would trigger an irb review even if it was fast. to get an irb exemption in this situation requires that the researchers lied either explicitly or by omission

yeah, so the researchers seem to have admitted that they didn't get get prior approval from the irb. that's not a good look even if they reasonably would've gotten that approval. these people do not seem like leading lights. i'm just saying, it's a process failure more than a substantive one; the maintainers are waving the ethics flag because it distracts from their own bad behavior

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s still absolutely hilarious that the paper includes

quote:

D. Feedback of the Linux Community
We summarized our findings and suggestions, and reported them to the Linux community. Here we briefly present their feedback. First, the Linux community mentioned that they will not accept preventive patches and will fix code only when it goes wrong. They hope kernel hardening features like KASLR can mitigate impacts from unfixed vulnerabilities. Second, they believed that the great Linux community is built upon trust. That is, they aim to treat everyone equally and would not assume that some contributors might be malicious.

“hi guys, I’m a grad student of a known malicious contributor here with a contribution that appears to do absolutely nothing... WAIT WHY ARE YOU BANNING ME”

basically “we have no idea what you’re up to this time or what time bombs you put in a while ago and we really don’t want to deal with it” seems very reasonable despite any potentially real issues

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thinking an experiment involving deception without informed consent wouldn’t require irb is both shameful and completely unsurprising

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone else just get hit by this QNAP ransomware like me? If anyone knows of a fix that would be great

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/massive-qlocker-ransomware-attack-uses-7zip-to-encrypt-qnap-devices/

mystes
May 31, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone else just get hit by this QNAP ransomware like me? If anyone knows of a fix that would be great

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/massive-qlocker-ransomware-attack-uses-7zip-to-encrypt-qnap-devices/
Out of curiosity is your nas exposed to the internet? I also have a QNAP nas but I'm wondering how you would get infected in the first place.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

thinking an experiment involving deception without informed consent wouldn’t require irb is both shameful and completely unsurprising

I don't care what the interactive ruby interpreter thinks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol ive been wondering what irb means this whole time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incident response/ review board I assume but could be wrong

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the no-preventative-patches thing is reasonable. “this code would be buggy if the code changed!!!” is not a very convincing argument

really the kernel should use a programming language that cleans poo poo up when it goes out of scope, but

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

institutional review board

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_review_board

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

mystes posted:

Out of curiosity is your nas exposed to the internet? I also have a QNAP nas but I'm wondering how you would get infected in the first place.

Yeah I'm online with it

Digging on forums it sound like this was an exploit that hit the qnapcloud system. Exploit was disclosed to QNAP back in October which doesn't sound good. Disclosure revealed to the public beginning of the month

Exploit allowed access through some media services etc, there were a couple of them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

w00tmonger

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rjmccall posted:

institutional review board

2/3

mystes
May 31, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I'm online with it

Digging on forums it sound like this was an exploit that hit the qnapcloud system. Exploit was disclosed to QNAP back in October which doesn't sound good. Disclosure revealed to the public beginning of the month

Exploit allowed access through some media services etc, there were a couple of them
It doesn't sound like there's any way to recover the data. I guess the only good thing is it doesn't sound like the data is exfiltrated or anything?

I realize this isn't at all helpful, but there's no way I would expose something like this running all sort of random services I have no control of directly to the internet, personally (and I'm not using qnapcloud because I absolutely don't trust it).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

mystes posted:

It doesn't sound like there's any way to recover the data. I guess the only good thing is it doesn't sound like the data is exfiltrated or anything?

I realize this isn't at all helpful, but there's no way I would expose something like this running all sort of random services I have no control of directly to the internet, personally (and I'm not using qnapcloud because I absolutely don't trust it).

I mean 20/20 hindsight obviously. I was mainly using it as a media share but it encrypted a bunch of pictures I was using for an Etsy shop which is a big pain

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the International Rugby Board has unfortunately been renamed, spoiling what could have been a funny joke

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

it's a perfectly reasonable mistake to make, but i'm still havin a lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Even without internet exposure there have been exploits for other systems that can be triggered with a single GET request.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just to confirm. What should I be nuking in the meantime on this QNAP. Do I just need to kill port forwarding?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Perplx posted:

Even without internet exposure there have been exploits for other systems that can be triggered with a single GET request.
Sure there's the Samsung TV one but in reality if nobody else has access to your network, unless you're being targeted the risk of having a device exploited by you being tricked into opening a malicious link is completely infinitesimal compared to the risk from having a device exposed to the internet.

w00tmonger posted:

Just to confirm. What should I be nuking in the meantime on this QNAP. Do I just need to kill port forwarding?
I don't even know how you could safely wipe one of these things after it's already been hacked. I'm not sure what's stored where but I guess attaching the drives to another computer and reformatting them might be sufficient but theoretically even that might be a risk.
Aside from that you would need to make sure it's not connected to qnap cloud and make sure there aren't ports forwarded to it, yeah.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 22, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

mystes posted:

Sure there's the Samsung TV one but in reality if nobody else has access to your network, unless you're being targeted the risk of having a device exploited by you being tricked into opening a malicious link is completely infinitesimal compared to the risk from having a device exposed to the internet.

I don't even know how you could safely wipe one of these things after it's already been hacked. I'm not sure what's stored where but I guess attaching the drives to another computer and reformatting them might be sufficient but theoretically even that might be a risk.
Aside from that you would need to make sure it's not connected to qnap cloud and make sure there aren't ports forwarded to it, yeah.

Sounds like it's a specific exploit where when it has network access they were running batch 7zip commands. Nothing too persistent

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol if u port forward

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

w00tmonger posted:

Sounds like it's a specific exploit where when it has network access they were running batch 7zip commands. Nothing too persistent

wouldn't this mean the had shell access?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

infernal machines posted:

wouldn't this mean the had shell access?

Still reading into It, but it sounds like there was a disclosure of some bugs back in October that QNAP were aware of.

Dude who disclosed went public recently because QNAP hadn't told the public/fixed it

Blog post from the guy
https://securingsam.com/new-vulnerabilities-allow-complete-takeover/

E: so yeah, shell access without credentials. VVV: in the process. Should be able to virus scan any files right? Seems like everything over like 20mb(200?) is fine

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you should probably pull your files and wipe/reflash that thing