Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just don’t see the need for 16 gb yet since the iPad doesn’t really multitask like the MBP does. I got 16gb on my M1 MBP and don’t regret it in the slightest not so sure it’s worth it for a single use device like the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

See I wanted a MBP to compliment my iPad Air 4 but now I kind of want to replace the Air 4 so I can have an iPad Pro 11" 2021...

But I'd just use it for...drawing...so..

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I don’t know how much my 2018 iPad Pro has (presumably a lot less than 8GB) but it’s nowhere near enough.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

KingEup posted:

I don’t know how much my 2018 iPad Pro has (presumably a lot less than 8GB) but it’s nowhere near enough.

4 gb unless you got the 1tb model then it's 6 gb

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I hope you're serious about doing on work on an iPad at that point because you're coughing up $1800 for the privilege of having that 16GB of ram. That's well into laptop/desktop price range.

Oh, that was my point , like, that’s so much storage just to get RAM, and even the RAM is likely inconsequential. But still a bummer when I would love to be able to pay like, $50-100 for a 128GB Pro with 16GB RAM.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If I like the size of my 11” pro, the 12.9” is going to be too big, isn’t it?

I love the idea of the new screen and I do a lot of forums and YouTube on the iPad, even on the couch in the evening or one day again on airplanes. But it might be too big and heavy, right?

Anyone else go from the 11 to the 12 and regret the size and or weight?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've tried out the bigger pro twice. Both times I ended up returning and sticking with the 11 inch. The big screen is great but it was just too unwieldy for me. I mainly use my iPad to read comics and look at other media so I hold it most of the time.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, that was my point , like, that’s so much storage just to get RAM, and even the RAM is likely inconsequential. But still a bummer when I would love to be able to pay like, $50-100 for a 128GB Pro with 16GB RAM.

I know it’s really not possible to buy to future proof but I’m on a 2012 MacBook Pro that I intend to keep using for at least another five years and I hope I can get a decade out of the iPad Pro after not owning one since I sold my ipad 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
12.9 is a little heavier than I'd like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

I know it’s really not possible to buy to future proof but I’m on a 2012 MacBook Pro that I intend to keep using for at least another five years and I hope I can get a decade out of the iPad Pro after not owning one since I sold my ipad 2

Hey, I’m still rocking a 2012 MacBook Air (besides my 2016 iPad Pro 10.5) so I get it.

On that note, it def has me torn in getting the iPad Pro when I could just get the MacBook Air M1.

I decided I’m gonna give it a few months, let the dust settle, then see what I update first. I’ll update both my Mac and iPad, obviously it’s just cheaper to put years between said purchases.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

""M1 will allow Procreate 5.2 to be up to four times faster. It will also include advanced accessibility features such as simplified touch controls, audio feedback and adjustable font sizes."
https://www.creativebloq.com/news/procreate-3d-paint-2021

I feel like Procreate has made my decision for me. Though I can't see those being exclusive to M1 iPad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apparently Prosser says iPad versions of FCP, Logic, and Xcode are coming in June, to make use of those new M1 chips

I really dislike him, but he was right about iMac colors, which nobody else really seemed to have

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

apparently Prosser says iPad versions of FCP, Logic, and Xcode are coming in June, to make use of those new M1 chips

I really dislike him, but he was right about iMac colors, which nobody else really seemed to have

He recently claimed Google was canceling the Pixel 5a until Google themselves came out and basically said he was wrong.

He was also wrong on the Pixel 5's look.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

He recently claimed Google was canceling the Pixel 5a until Google themselves came out and basically said he was wrong.

He was also wrong on the Pixel 5's look.

this is all true and fair

but also it’s pretty low-hanging fruit in terms of probable guesses

Apple needs to bring their pro apps to iPad sooner or later, and they wouldn’t go through the trouble of bringing full-fat M1 to ipad and branding it as such if they didn’t have something like this planned

Otherwise they’d call it A14X or A14Z or something like that and kick the can down the road another year

Making a big to-do about putting M1 in iPad without an equivalent software push in the works opens Apple up to criticism when apps don’t materialize to take advantage of the hardware.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
"This only makes sense if the software follows it" isn't true at all.

There are a lot of financial and logistical reasons to reuse a CPU/Memory and supporting power design across multiple products if you can. A new CPU is $Billions of development. Getting that high performance, low power board design 'just right' is 10s of $millions, the supply chain to mass produce it is many multiples of that. Low level board support for the OS is also a significant cost.

Does it seem to make even more financial sense to streamline your software product ecosphere? Yes it does, but it's not a requirement to there being advantages to consolidating hardware design.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Murgos posted:

"This only makes sense if the software follows it" isn't true at all.

There are a lot of financial and logistical reasons to reuse a CPU/Memory and supporting power design across multiple products if you can. A new CPU is $Billions of development. Getting that high performance, low power board design 'just right' is 10s of $millions, the supply chain to mass produce it is many multiples of that. Low level board support for the OS is also a significant cost.

Does it seem to make even more financial sense to streamline your software product ecosphere? Yes it does, but it's not a requirement to there being advantages to consolidating hardware design.

yes but Apple could’ve easily used the same chip and branded it differently/given it a different name/locked and unlocked areas of the silicon for the sake of product differentiation. They could’ve stuck to cutting down the chip’s power consumption and prioritizing battery life when doing “iPad poo poo” for likely big wins, and yet they didn’t.

They could’ve prioritized the needs of the 97% of iPad Pro users who are probably middle management execs and wealthy 55 year old dads and people who simply wanted the bigger screen and college students too rich for iPad Air and visual artists who don’t work with a gajillion power features, vs the 3% of LumaFusion power users.

making a big deal about putting M1 (and thunderbolt) in the iPad Pro- the same M1 that’s in four Macs now, including two desktops- invites more direct comparisons to Mac/PC.

And in those comparisons iPad comes up short on software and “pro” apps every single time

Also it’s worth noting that several of these apps have been rumored/acknowledged to be in development for years. As the iPad has gotten more laptop-like it’s only natural that each subsequent year seems increasingly likely to be “it”.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would imagine apps that are M1 native just need to be changed a little to be iOS apps. It's almost to the point now where the MacOS and iOS experiences and features are the same. The difference now is just if the device you're using suits your needs.

This, sadly, is only really true for the minority of apps, for the most part very new and very simple. While SwiftUI, the new hotness, is actually very portable, it is also very limited for the kinds of advanced apps you’d be interested in. You can make a cross-platform app with the latest version though, it’s very slick but there really isn’t the kind of massive feature set Cocoa and AppKit have. Beyond user interface there are some pretty significant differences in the guts of the operating systems too that means if any app is doing anything interesting with the system , that will need to be manually ported.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This is maybe a dumb question, but the M1 iPad Pro can still run all the old iOS apps, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yes, the M1 is just a rebranding/iteration of the SOC that’s been in idevices for years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

This is maybe a dumb question, but the M1 iPad Pro can still run all the old iOS apps, right?

As long as they can be run on the current iOS, yeah.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tell me Substance Painter/Designer, Blender, and ZBrush come to M1 iPad Pro’s and I’ll splurge for 1TB in a heartbeat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

Tell me Substance Painter/Designer, Blender, and ZBrush come to M1 iPad Pro’s and I’ll splurge for 1TB in a heartbeat.

If they are currently on macOS then It’s a safe bet they will eventually make the transition. How long that takes is anyone’s guess though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what’s the long term play here. Do they keep working on iPad OS to be less poo poo or do they look at moving MacOS into the iPad now that they’re all running the same silicon

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I had assumed that the m1 Mac announcement was going to literally be an iPad so who knows what they have planned.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

once you see xcode for ipad you'll know the writing is on the wall for macos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what’s the long term play here. Do they keep working on iPad OS to be less poo poo or do they look at moving MacOS into the iPad now that they’re all running the same silicon

Little of A little of B. The long term play is to be able to cross work on any device as needed with literally no compromises.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

once you see xcode for ipad you'll know the writing is on the wall for macos

We were talking about https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/22/22396449/apple-ipad-pro-macbook-air-macos-2021 at work today, and that was basically one of the main points in our discussion.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hmm does apple want to sell you one $1200 device or two $1200 devices

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ultimate Mango posted:

If I like the size of my 11” pro, the 12.9” is going to be too big, isn’t it?

Yes.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone else go from the 11 to the 12 and regret the size and or weight?

Yes.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apple strategy as Steve put it is macOS is trucks, i[Pad]OS is cars. Trucks have similarities to cars but have fundamentally different roles, problems and optimisations. They consider the most important thing about the macOS is that it’s open, powerful and flexible, and the most important thing about i[Pad]OS is that it’s safe, private and fast.

The iPad Pro is really where all of this breaks down in a really interesting way. It takes on pretty much every 1/2D creative work, essentially creating a third class - the race car. A professional vehicle that maximises velocity over versatility.

I would love to see Xcode on iPad, I’ve used several dev tools on there, some of which are pretty good, but nothing I could seriously use for my job. Even Xcode wouldn’t be good enough for my day-to-day, I use IntelliJ Ultimate, a Java monstrosity that would be truly unusable on iPad for a billion reasons, as would the current Xcode. For development to be practical, sellable, on iPad, you would need to fundamentally reinvent what that means, demonstrating crystal clear productivity increases and a UI that empowers devs and you would need to do it convincingly to the single hardest to please audience you can imagine. Can Apple do this? Can anyone do this? I really hope so.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How would Xcode on the iPad work exactly? I mean, you'd presumably want to be able to run code on your iPad which is something Apple has been very skittish about on iOS devices in the past.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

How would Xcode on the iPad work exactly? I mean, you'd presumably want to be able to run code on your iPad which is something Apple has been very skittish about on iOS devices in the past.

shouldn't be much different than the current process of developing iOS apps and testing them on real hardware, unless I'm misunderstanding the question

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

shouldn't be much different than the current process of developing iOS apps and testing them on real hardware, unless I'm misunderstanding the question

I'm not real familiar with how that works, would you need an Apple developer account to do that, or is there some provision for running your own apps on iOS if you have a Mac?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not real familiar with how that works, would you need an Apple developer account to do that, or is there some provision for running your own apps on iOS if you have a Mac?

You can use the simulator if you don't have a developer account, but I believe you have to have a developer account in order to sign the code to work on real hardware. I'd guess an iPad version of Xcode would also just require a developer account and you would just skip the step of having to register a device by plugging it in, since it would be registering the iPad itself.

info

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/distributing_your_app_to_registered_devices

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They would probably have to make a new privilege tier for Xcode -- OS tier is probably way too much, but App tier is no where near enough. It would need control over other processes to allow launching and debugging, and it would need much better control over its own process to keep itself running where other apps would need suspending. That part, at least, is similar to the Audio app stuff, so I imagine it would be a new spin on that. I can't imagine they would ever let third parties publish to that their. Editing code is editing code, no worries, but they'd probably also have to expose some kind of console, which is actually totally possible in userland; there's several apps that do that that are just available in the app store.

The really noodle baking thing here is: if you're working on a Mac app, how do you run it? On a Mac, there's a Simulator that includes a version of iOS, if they have a Mac simulator working on iPad then that would be really loving loopy.

But as I said, the true challenge is to create an iPadOS-native user interface for Xcode that makes sense and preferable over using it on a Mac. iPadOS thrives with direct manipulation paradigms, which you only ever really see with node-based programming environments like Unreal Blueprints or various shader editors (like Shade, on iPadOS) or LEGOey style block building like Scratch. While both of these have huge advantages over text-based development -- no syntax errors, ever, trivial refactoring, instant interation -- so far no serious/successful attempt has been made targeting these for application development by professional adult developers. Codea for iPadOS represents a third alternative, enhanced text, and while I love Codea it's still quite fiddly and really only useful for solo prototyping and game jams. So making an interface for coding that's touch-first and lets developers harness the form's advantages would be game changing provided you didn't make devs feel like they were being held back, which is always a challenge for an audience that often feels if the have to ever touch a mouse they will die of old age.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I don’t have a work usecase. I am still using my iPad Pro 3rd Gen (2018) for Netflix/Prime Video/Sky Entertainment and iOS Gaming/Apple Arcade mostly and there is no rational argument to buy the new iPad Pro.
But holy moly, the specs are insane but “overpowered” for gaming anyway, if anything.
I still hope that this astonishing CPU power will help iOS IPad gaming with more last generation console gaming ports.
There should even be enough power now to develop a world of Warcraft client for iOS.
Just kidding. But still a little bit serious :ghost:

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah if you like the 11 you'll hate the 12.9. Defeats the purpose of a tablet in my opinion unless you're trying to do video or photo editing on it but I don't know anyone who actually does that seriously outside of culling images in Lightroom or whatever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The 12.9 is incredible if you are serious about painting/illustration apps. My iPad is mostly a Clip Studio Paint device and my Wacom Cintiq has been collecting dust ever since CSP went iOS native.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yup, 12.9 space is really, really useful for illustration. There’s a reason most display pen tablets don’t go below 13”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

iPads already run Swift Playgrounds, which lets you access hardware features of the device like the camera or accelerometer. And it allows you to create complex Playground projects with it, with multiple files and even modules (I think). It's definitely not touch first, but Apple already allows you to execute arbitrary Swift code on your device. It's a pretty nifty little app that's been around for a while that just teases me with what Apple could do.

If they add support for version control, xcode projects, and Swift packages, I wouldn't need a mac anymore. There's not even a need for simulators, you just need to test for different screen sizes since every device is basically the same now.