Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Now you're both communicating badly anyway so have something you should have been apologising for. Thankfully you've already taken care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

Oh no, you have nothing to apologize for! To clarify, I was not accusing you of communicating badly, I was accusing the videos you've seen/articles you've read of communicating badly.

Thanks! I've quoted several articles, though. Got any specifics? I have no dog in the white hole hunt, just want to know more, and would like for the rest of us to too.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Now you're both communicating badly anyway so have something you should have been apologising for. Thankfully you've already taken care of that.

Tis a silly thread for this digression beast anyway. Yielding for nap time.

https://m.imgur.com/MxTxJN9

Otteration has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Apr 22, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm going to use an analogy here - consider a rigid wheel standing on a flat road. How much pressure does it exert on the road? The contact area between them is zero - a line of zero width - so the pressure, being the force divided by the area, is ... infinite?

In both this case, and the gravitational singularity case, the resolution is obvious once we remember that our model is a simplified version of reality - we take a look at those simplifications and recognise that they no longer apply. We construct a better model. And part of that process is searching for evidence that might provide insight into what's really going on. In the wheel example, we might look closer at the wheel-road interface to see how each of them deforms and provides a larger contact area.

Any description of "white holes", that's being presented to people that don't already have an appreciation for the limits of our current understanding, should come with an acknowledgement that what our theories predict here is almost certainly wrong, that this is one area where our theory breaks down and produces total nonsense. The reason it's so interesting is because our current theory breaks down there! Knowing what really happens in that situation is the best way to identify what simplifications our theory implicitly makes, and come closer to the underlying truth. Presenting what our current, flawed, theory predicts as though it is the truth is misleading.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's why I like Sabine Hossenfelder; she likes to correct a lot of assumptions that make people believe these things are "possible".

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's going to be pretty funny when we create an AI that can solve these cosmic mysteries, but can't explain to our primate brains. Then is like, "Ugh, nevermind" and blasts off in to the 89th dimension, where planets are made of pizza

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

I'm going to use an analogy here - consider a rigid wheel standing on a flat road. How much pressure does it exert on the road? The contact area between them is zero - a line of zero width - so the pressure, being the force divided by the area, is ... infinite?

In both this case, and the gravitational singularity case, the resolution is obvious once we remember that our model is a simplified version of reality - we take a look at those simplifications and recognise that they no longer apply. We construct a better model. And part of that process is searching for evidence that might provide insight into what's really going on. In the wheel example, we might look closer at the wheel-road interface to see how each of them deforms and provides a larger contact area.

Any description of "white holes", that's being presented to people that don't already have an appreciation for the limits of our current understanding, should come with an acknowledgement that what our theories predict here is almost certainly wrong, that this is one area where our theory breaks down and produces total nonsense. The reason it's so interesting is because our current theory breaks down there! Knowing what really happens in that situation is the best way to identify what simplifications our theory implicitly makes, and come closer to the underlying truth. Presenting what our current, flawed, theory predicts as though it is the truth is misleading.

Agreed that it's total nonsense, atm. I don't think anyone is presenting anything as unmitigated truth, but instead what could be, which is kind of what unmitigated questioning science is all about.

Thanks for the analogy, but now print it it out and give it to your friends at the bar, or your sister, or the dude on the street. Ask them what it means.

Do it again in 1915 or so with black holes. Go shake Einstein's hand and tell him about quantum entanglement. Give him only the math. Even then, spooky action at a distance he says. The rest of us wouldn't mind some explanations in the mean time. And so happens pop sci. :)

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/GiuyWTj

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qs0d0xs0fL1r0uzl6.mp4

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I happened to listen to songs by Svalbard and then Rolo Tomassi back to back on Spotify, and I was like yes, women in heavy music are very badass.

Serena Cherry of Svalbard:

Eva Korman of Rolo Tomassi:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's cool there's a band that took their name from LA Confidential.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

owl_pellet posted:

I happened to listen to songs by Svalbard and then Rolo Tomassi back to back on Spotify, and I was like yes, women in heavy music are very badass.

Serena Cherry of Svalbard:

Eva Korman of Rolo Tomassi:

You'll probably get a kick out of Rage of Light, though unfortunately Melissa Bonny has announced recently she's leaving the band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6xBhv21kEE

For female-fronted bands Unleash the Archers are still my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yFH-O05uS0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I see a lot of people not talking about Floor Jansen here

Azhais has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Apr 28, 2021

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

I see a lot of people not talking about Floor Jansen here

I quess nobody has ever used ”bad rear end” to describe Disney metal.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Jinjer is also something people should check out.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Feminazgul

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Look up Cadaveria, Arch Enemy and Walls of Jericho.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Check out The Bridge City Sinners if you want to experience Murderfolk/Bloodgrass

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Check out The Bridge City Sinners if you want to experience Murderfolk/Bloodgrass

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You got a license for that much denim?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Super Waffle posted:

Idk what that is but its right up my alley deffo checking them out

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Rich_Ships/status/1389581753409576965?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus. Looking that one up later.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

owl_pellet posted:

women in heavy music are very badass.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xdwdyd/no-guts-no-glory-how-bolt-throwers-jo-bench-inspired-a-generation-of-metal-musicians

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:worship:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Huh, I knew about Bolt Thrower thanks to its Warhammer connections but that's new to me. Neat.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Jo Bench is by far the most badass woman in metal, she's actually top 5 most badass people in all of metal.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jesus. Looking that one up later.

The wikipedia page for easy reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Aaron_Ward_(DM-34)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Also GIS is amazing
https://www.google.com/search?q=aar...iw=1490&bih=722

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hopefully this hasnt already been posted in the thread but im always in awe that the USS Selfridge was hit by not one, but two Japanese torpedoes and survived.

That 5" gunmount hanging on for dear life is actually the second one from the front of the ship, the first was a total goner. The bridge area was apparently showered with projectiles from this second mount.

Diagram of how much of the ship was completely destroyed:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHPEQyEqaHs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:magical:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

That’s the spicy fried chicken

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Broccoli from hell

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lakedaimon posted:

Hopefully this hasnt already been posted in the thread but im always in awe that the USS Selfridge was hit by not one, but two Japanese torpedoes and survived.

That 5" gunmount hanging on for dear life is actually the second one from the front of the ship, the first was a total goner. The bridge area was apparently showered with projectiles from this second mount.

Diagram of how much of the ship was completely destroyed:

That's a really nice technical drawing there. In these days of easy graphics programs, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that just a generation or two ago, these were done by hand.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Not really normal thread content, but this machine is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTCal8LjYTk

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Re: Bolt-Thrower they are pretty decent people too. Here is a cool story of them, some Nazi skinheads and a baseball bat.

https://vics-dungeon.blogspot.com/2016/01/bolt-thrower-vs-neonazi-scum-as.html?m=1

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

-Zydeco- posted:

Not really normal thread content, but this machine is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTCal8LjYTk

Holy poo poo, I ran one of those when I was like 18-19 years old. It was incredibly ancient even back then in 1985-86, we just used it to knock down large pieces of steel to sizes close to what we needed, then the pieces would go to the precision mills and CNC’s.

It was one size smaller than that, I believe it had a 6’ table, but otherwise it looked and worked identical. It was a champion chipthrower, I wore a leather welding coat to keep from being covered with tiny burns at the end of the shift. Sucked in the summer.

My dad showed me how to use it - I guess he was taught to run one in his apprenticeship in 1966, and said it was considered old-school even then. I liked running it because it was in a back room all by itself because it threw chips everywhere, and I could play my obnoxious punk/metal music as loud as I wanted.

Sorry to bore everybody, but holy poo poo does that Cincinnati bring back memories.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Regarding astrophysics chat, I saw a video recently that I can't find anymore. It was a bit lengthy. Basically the narrator took some liberty to suspend disbelief and let us travel in a ship capable of reaching lightspeed. He talked about all the time that would pass on earth the faster you travel. How after a certain time, earth would be unrecognizable if you were to return. Eventually you reach a speed (or distance) where its impossible to even go home because the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. In fact, you reach a point to where the universe is expanding faster than light in all directions relative to you, so you are, in fact, forever isolated from everything else in the entire universe.

I'm probably butchering the explanation, but this video was badass, depressing, and awe inspiring all at once. Wish I could find it again.