Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Now I just need to find some more people to play with because Euro randoms are some special breed of special

We need a fourth, join our crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I think we already have eachother on Steam so just hit me up.

My only beef with wastes so far, other than the occasional points where you absolutely can get stuck in the geometry, is that the 2 weapon altars look a little too much alike for me. One Tempers (upgrades) the weapon, the other Exchanges it. And misreading it really sucks when you replace your trollpedo with fire pistols.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
What even is the point of the weapon exchange altar? Why would anyone want a completely random weapon that you aren't necessarily specced for

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Its immediately also an upgraded version of that new weapon iirc. Like if you currently have a white weapon, it will give you a random one but it will also be green?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
It's also a way to get a red item earlier in the overall run. I got a 700 power glaive halfway through a full run last night which had me set for melee for the rest of the maps. Definitely a calculated risk, which is fun.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Its immediately also an upgraded version of that new weapon iirc. Like if you currently have a white weapon, it will give you a random one but it will also be green?

It will give you a weapon of whatever rarity the shrine is-- green, blue, etc. You can see the power of the weapon you'll be getting when you look at it.

Sometimes I like to roll the dice and see what it gives me. It forces me to change up my playstyle if I suddenly find myself with a mace and repeater, for instance, if I came in with a hammer and handgun.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Ok so there's some benefit to it, nice. I like that the devs have started having fun with the game, adding things like slaanesh's exploding balls

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Bussamove posted:

It will give you a weapon of whatever rarity the shrine is-- green, blue, etc. You can see the power of the weapon you'll be getting when you look at it.

Sometimes I like to roll the dice and see what it gives me. It forces me to change up my playstyle if I suddenly find myself with a mace and repeater, for instance, if I came in with a hammer and handgun.
Also it costs like half the pilgrim coins to exchange versus tempering.

Fishstick posted:

My only beef with wastes so far, other than the occasional points where you absolutely can get stuck in the geometry, is that the 2 weapon altars look a little too much alike for me. One Tempers (upgrades) the weapon, the other Exchanges it. And misreading it really sucks when you replace your trollpedo with fire pistols.
I mean, the tempering altar is a hammer and anvil, the random melee altar is a greatsword, and the random ranged is a crossed pistol and crossbow. They're already fairly distinct.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

What even is the point of the weapon exchange altar? Why would anyone want a completely random weapon that you aren't necessarily specced for

It's fun, you get to use weapons you don't usually

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've completed four runs on Legend so far and gotten three Emperor's vaults each time, and holy poo poo does it feel good. My buddies and I have started getting a feel for what's offered at the different shrines and which bonuses to prioritize and I'm overall pleasantly surprised that very rarely does it feel like an option is something you don't at least consider.

Pubbies love going for the +Max HP, though, and I just can't get behind that when the alternative is killing more rats faster.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Literally did exactly this my first try lol

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I had music on so I started a monster trial when 2 Stormfiends were just around the corner, the team were not happy

also, "Black Power Barrels" lmao

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Really hope Fat Shark does something like this for Darktide, this is very fun

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

KillerQueen posted:

Really hope Fat Shark does something like this for Darktide, this is very fun

They even have the same convenient excuse except instead of heading north you’re just doing a jaunt into the Eye of Terror.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

LOL you nerds. Are you solving equations to play optimally?

I click the mouse and the weapon swings.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uh excuse me, sometimes the gun bangs

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Bussamove posted:

They even have the same convenient excuse except instead of heading north you’re just doing a jaunt into the Eye of Terror.

You're just chilling in a space hulk

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ik_Jn-tr8w

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so as a feckless idiot newbie to this game who's otherwise familiar with team based games like this (don't run off, don't waste heals, rock n stone, etc), what am i probably doing that'd bemuse, annoy or even piss off a vet

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

so as a feckless idiot newbie to this game who's otherwise familiar with team based games like this (don't run off, don't waste heals, rock n stone, etc), what am i probably doing that'd bemuse, annoy or even piss off a vet

One thing that's easy to forget is all the items you can get. Use them at the earliest opportunity that would help, because that's reduces the chances of something going wrong (which happens often on harder difficulties), eg an assassin appears when you're in the middle of killing a horde.

Let's say, you have a speed potion. If you finish the mission and you're still carrying it, it went to waste. If you faced a horde and got KO'd without using it, it went to waste. If you faced a horde and used your speed potion, it was useful.

So use your items!

Use cases where it's NEVER a waste to use an item, even if it turns out you could have finished it without:

Explosive grenades: monsters, elite infantry hiding inside hordes, patrols
Flame grenades: hordes, patrols
Speed potions (blue): hordes
Stamina potions (purple): monsters
Strength potions (yellow): monsters, patrols

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Stay near your team, learn situations where you cause friendly fire damage and try to avoid them (FF starts on champion difficulty I think), and, in general, practice keeping track of your team in big chaotic fights. There's a lot going on but sticking by your teammates is, I think, a central tenet of this game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Video I was watching said FF in melee never exists (mostly), just ranged, but it's an old video; is that still true?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, not blocking/dodging nearly enough. It’s hard to describe but eventually you get a feel for how you should be moving during hordes/elite packs/bosses and it’s a mixture of strafing around the horde, dodging out of attacks, and making good use of push/push attacks woven in to the attack string of your weapon of choice to get the attacks you want for whatever it is you’re fighting (downward swings/headpokes for armored enemies, sweeps for hordes, etc).

The biggest tip I can immediately think of that applies to Ratfite but not other games of the type is learning your weapons and their attack patterns. It’s not an amazingly intricate system but each one is going to have moves that are better for a given situation than others and you’ll want to know what those are.

E: friendly fire in melee isn’t a thing, yeah. For ranged it only kicks in on champion and up but get in the habit of not shooting through your friends before that. If you use a cone weapon like drakefire cannon let people know you’re going to lock down a choke point for a horde with it so they don’t get toasted.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 23, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i keep hitting shift to sprint as though that's gonna fuckin do anything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is there a way to tag a spot in the environment (e.g. "Go here!") or is it only tagging objects and specials/elites/bosses?

Besides looking at the player models is there any menu or something to see what weapons the party is using, so i have some idea how to kit out?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There are generic commands like "come here" but no WoW-style location markers.

Gotta look at models for loadouts but team coordination isn't a big deal until higher difficulties. Just have a loadout with options for dealing with hordes, specials, and armored enemies. Between your two weapons it's pretty easy to sufficiently cover all three bases, especially in low difficulties

E: also don't sweat it while you're experimenting. If you realize three minutes into a run that you have no good way to deal with hordes, that's just a learning experience

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

The biggest thing to me playing with randos is just team awareness. Some players have it, some don't. If you're leading the push then you MUST turn around every few minutes and make sure the party is still following you and didn't get tripped up by a hoard or something. Similarly if you're bringing up the rear, turn around and see if the party is running off and you need to keep going instead of stopping to fight.

It seems pretty simple but its basically the party killer when somebody goes off ahead and forgets that we aren't still following.

I imagine voice chat makes this less an issue since you can yell at someone "Hey Steve turn the gently caress around!" but I don't use voice chat.

All this is pretty standard to games like left4dead though so you probably already know that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Running out into the open during a fight where you can get surrounded instead of staying in a choke point or any position where enemies can’t come from all sides. but I see “vets” do this all the time so it’s apparently very advanced.

If you just slam the spot button on special enemies you’ll help a lot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

You can turn on "Player outlines" to "Always on", that makes your teammates always show with a green outline even through geometry. It's super handy.
Strength pots boost ALL damage, not just melee. Str pot up before you ult and/or bomb.

Also the only stat that matters on the scoreboard is damage taken. You're a lot more useful as a newbie who doesnt kill as much but doesn't die than the hot poo poo guy who dies 6 times chasing green circles.

Also you might want to bind ult to something other than F because I guarantee you will be hitting it as a reflex in dark places.

Ciaphas posted:

Besides looking at the player models is there any menu or something to see what weapons the party is using, so i have some idea how to kit out?

Tab menu shows what people are wearing, there's also a mod called third party equipment that lets you see it hanging off their person. In general theres a bunch of approved mods on the steam workshop that will improve quality of life, like removing some annoying ult/blood effects, giving better arrow counters, customizable UI, crosshair hit markers, etc.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 23, 2021

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In no particular order.

Respect the person at the rear. They are probably eating the majority of the errant hits or killing the majority of the random rats. Slow down for their sake.

Block more. No, more. More than that. Health is the most important resource. Face tanking is a losing battle.

Block is 360 degrees. It can be helpful to block even if you're not sure you're being attacked.

In addition to different move sets different weapons have different move while blocking speed and dodge modifiers. They are mostly what you would think.

Push. Getting hit while swinging is how you will take most of your chip damage so try to clear some space before you swing.

If you push and continue holding down attack after the push you will do a single quick reposte type move. For some weapons this is one of the best attack moves.

While it is optimal to save health for after you've been downed one or more times, remember that failure cascades are a thing and it is sometimes better to use the healing early and not go down in the first place.

Don't save buff potions, use them.

Anything that staggers will force the Chaos Spawn to drop who he is eating - direct hits from bombs, many special abilities, etc.

When learning the ropes do not attempt to kill a boss and kite them simultaneously. Focus entirely on living or killing depending on where the agro is. Do not get tunnel vision, watch out for other enemies while fighting a boss. Do not kite a boss straight backwards forever. Kite in a circle if possible.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My tip for newbies is if you know how to block, and stay with your team, try skipping ahead to Champion as soon as you can, it's much easier than playing with the groups who queue for the lower difficulties. Just stick with them and don't friendly fire them and you'll learn the maps and tactics and stuff faster too.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I've been playing with a group of 3 other friends for about a month now, and I keep hoping that two of them will learn that there is a block button and that pushing is a good thing, but it hasn't happened yet. It ALMOST happened last night when there was a discussion about which node to go to next in the Chaos Wastes and one of them said, "Oh great, Block Cost Reduction. That's useless!" and the two of us that actually use block said some version of, "Uhh, that's actually pretty good, you're using block right?"

It's killing me, but I don't know how to correct two other adult humans without giving offense. (This is why we're stuck on Veteran and no one wants to try Champion).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I understand the benefits of a wide FOV, but that's nausea inducing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Lol, went in with slayer, took the talent for attack speed with onehanders, got throwing axes on first altar.

Other than that, its really fun.
Champion feels too easy, got all expeditions including citadel without failing done. Will try Legend next.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Floppychop posted:

I understand the benefits of a wide FOV, but that's nausea inducing.

I'll never understand how people can stand the fisheye look to get that sweet huge FoV. It gives me a headache.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Just came back to try Chaos Wastes for the first time, my main class was taken so I had to pick Grail Knight, which was level 1. Still enjoyed myself. The new mode is neat. If I level up a class and put in class talents does that do anything for the new mode? I realize that you "restart" from scratch every time you start a new campaign. Does that mean talents are useless?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bussamove posted:

I'll never understand how people can stand the fisheye look to get that sweet huge FoV. It gives me a headache.

For me it's pretty variable. In Destiny 2 I could crank it to max and not be bothered by the mild fisheye - until I go third-person for supers or whatever, at which point my spatial awareness turns off and nausea turns on

This game I couldn't even raise above the default FOV before the fisheye got too nasty for me. I wonder why the difference

(e)

Arsonide posted:

Just came back to try Chaos Wastes for the first time, my main class was taken so I had to pick Grail Knight, which was level 1. Still enjoyed myself. The new mode is neat. If I level up a class and put in class talents does that do anything for the new mode? I realize that you "restart" from scratch every time you start a new campaign. Does that mean talents are useless?
Add-on question, can/"should" I do chaos wastes stuff as a Level 1 Dipshit in all characters?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Arsonide posted:

I could be wrong but your talents seem to work just fine, only hero power is affected.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

For me it's pretty variable. In Destiny 2 I could crank it to max and not be bothered by the mild fisheye - until I go third-person for supers or whatever, at which point my spatial awareness turns off and nausea turns on

This game I couldn't even raise above the default FOV before the fisheye got too nasty for me. I wonder why the difference

I can increase it marginally in VT2 before it starts to distort way too much, but it is pretty intense.

I blame some weird line of spaghetti code they can't change because it would mess up and, I don't know, replace all slaverats with Chaos Beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Soooo, does Server Backend Error: 1110 mean dead game or is it something I can fix

("backend" implies yes but having dealt with Destiny Tooltip Guy I question it anyway)

(e) oh there it goes. fifth time's the charm i guess

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 24, 2021