Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Thinking about how bad the akimbo guns boss is in kiwami, and then he shows up in 3 again just to spite you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Fungah! posted:

y4 hooo boy the munekata fight fuckin sucks. worst last boss ive seen in a long fuckin time

it was pretty bad. i ended up taking him out early in the fight and then it came down to a ridiculously long battle with a rando swat team guy that blocked and countered everything that wasent a parry. it might have been easier if i had powered tanimura up but i rushed through his part cause i didnt like playing as him that much.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Thinking about how bad the akimbo guns boss is in kiwami, and then he shows up in 3 again just to spite you

Getting insanely psyched when you realize that they're playing the intro music for this guy and gradually realizing the fight sucks ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ASenileAnimal posted:

it was pretty bad. i ended up taking him out early in the fight and then it came down to a ridiculously long battle with a rando swat team guy that blocked and countered everything that wasent a parry. it might have been easier if i had powered tanimura up but i rushed through his part cause i didnt like playing as him that much.

this is almost word for word what happened to me lol. also spoilers for the end i guess i had a bunch of problems with the end too, the big one is i feel like they were trying to make tanimura the next actual main character until he sucked so much poo poo that they had to go back to kiryu for 5. tanimuras got the longest part and kiryu has the shortest and kiryu fighting daigo comes out of fuckin nowhere. i dont know, i think the way they did multiple protagonists just didnt work fundamentally and the writing doesn't come together. i feel like they got four guys to each write a character and then realized they didn't actually fit together when they sat down to write the finale. saejima fighting kido also felt like it was just tacked on, and arai went from being a big deal character to being the first guy you clown on in the boss rush. this is definitely the weakest yakuza i've played and i'm glad to be done with it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

kiryu and daigo having a fist kamehameha battle was hype as poo poo though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In my opinion 4 is the lowest point in the series by a wide margin, it’s a weird hump you have to get over but once you do 5, 6, and Like a Dragon are all upper-tier. I was a little disappointed that 5 still did the style of multiple protagonists where you do one person’s story and then their part is over until the end and you move on to someone else thing but otherwise it does the multiple protagonists thing better too because each one has their own unique cities and mini games and stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah 4 is very uneven but I think I still like it better than 3, the combat is just more fun with none of stupid 90% blocking enemies and it's generally a bit smoother by a decent margin, and so far while the story is dumb it's had nothing on the level of 3's loving awful CIA stuff. Still on Tanimura though, haven't had any time to game since I got the puppy at the weekend lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

In my opinion 4 is the lowest point in the series by a wide margin, it’s a weird hump you have to get over but once you do 5, 6, and Like a Dragon are all upper-tier. I was a little disappointed that 5 still did the style of multiple protagonists where you do one person’s story and then their part is over until the end and you move on to someone else thing but otherwise it does the multiple protagonists thing better too because each one has their own unique cities and mini games and stuff.

yeah, kiryu's part of 5 was the first anything yakuza that i played because i got it for free on ps plus and iirc it kicked rear end in a way that no part of 4 really does. hype to play it again now that i know wtf is happening

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

4 is a weird game. It’s still good since it’s a yakuza game but it’s very unfocused and the new characters are cool (except maybe Tanimura) but Saejima is the only one who really works as a protag since he has the same fish out of water thing going on as Kiryu. Plus he’s the only new protag who’s also a Yakuza lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Akiyama is great but I think he’d work better as a supporting character which from what I hear is how he is in 6

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

saejima is very ftw and i'm glad he's back in 5. i'd love to see a full game with him, maybe do like him and majima in the style of y0

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Akiyama is great but I think he’d work better as a supporting character which from what I hear is how he is in 6

He’s better in 5 too since he’s paired up with one of the new protagonists as soon as he’s introduced and acts as a mentor figure to them even in his own section which is a better use of his character. I like the new protagonists a lot better than tanimura too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They tried to make Tanimura likable with the whole helping Asian immigrants thing but he’s also just kind of a dick in a way that none of the other characters are so it’s off putting.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They tried to make Tanimura likable with the whole helping Asian immigrants thing but he’s also just kind of a dick in a way that none of the other characters are so it’s off putting.

yeah and like, the way he's introduced is that hes a crooked cop who uses the money for these immigrants and his whole story is YOU'RE THE ONLY GOOD COP. it felt extremely off when he's literally introduced by squeezing people and businesses for money

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

yeah and like, the way he's introduced is that hes a crooked cop who uses the money for these immigrants and his whole story is YOU'RE THE ONLY GOOD COP. it felt extremely off when he's literally introduced by squeezing people and businesses for money

Totally lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think the reason I don't like blocking enemies is because the combat should make you feel like you're in the cool part of a martial arts movie, where you open doors by throwing people into them and then run to another dude and toss him over a railing. dodging around in a circle to get a single punch in for minutes at a time sucks.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I love cabaret club in kiwami 2 so so much. all the stuff that happened after winning the 4th challenge was amazing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i loled when Amazing Grace broke out during the end credits for Kiwami.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat i accidnetally looked at that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kiwami 2 already seems so sick. the fluidity of motion during combat makes stuff like basic throws feel so good, and it's so easy to find locations and weapons to test out heat actions with. i walked into the mahjong building just to check it out and discovered i could explore four floors of offices.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the kiryu section in 5 is incredible. however of all the characters' stories his felt like it needed to be longer; there's the interesting love interest character there's some intrigue with that is immediately cast aside because you have to get to saejima. i also think 5 would probably be better without shinada; he's a cool character but if i could choose between having his story and having a bit of extra time with each of the other characters, i'd choose the latter no question

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
The batting Center sub story for Shinada is so loving dumb I love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shinada? I hardly knew 'er

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BBJoey posted:

the kiryu section in 5 is incredible. however of all the characters' stories his felt like it needed to be longer; there's the interesting love interest character there's some intrigue with that is immediately cast aside because you have to get to saejima. i also think 5 would probably be better without shinada; he's a cool character but if i could choose between having his story and having a bit of extra time with each of the other characters, i'd choose the latter no question

apparently the writer who took over after 2 really wanted kiryu to be a man alone which is why sayama bails immediately in 3.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fungah! posted:

apparently the writer who took over after 2 really wanted kiryu to be a man alone which is why sayama bails immediately in 3.

And then she never shows up again, which is the weirdest. Like, in 6 I was expecting more blasts from the past since it's supposed to be the end of Kiryu's story and thought she'd show up for sure. But we didn't even get Majima to interact with Kiryu. Game still rules of course, but I expected a little more fan service

Re: Baseball dude in Yakuza 5: Yeah, I absolutely agree that his story didn't need to be there. It's in fact one of the biggest reasons I'm so down on the game. He's a completely new character introduced in the 11th hour of the game, he sucks to play as and the city you get to play in is only marginally better than what Saejima has to gently caress around in. They could have resolved the story in a better way without adding the wrinkle of an additional arc imo

Maybe one day I'll go back to Yakuza 5 and love it but my first playthrough wasn't that.

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

Yakuza 3 was pretty rough at first coming straight from Kiwami 2 but once it got going I'm enjoying it. Really happy to see the massive traffic cone Majima hid under is still there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zitlover8183 posted:

Yakuza 3 was pretty rough at first coming straight from Kiwami 2 but once it got going I'm enjoying it. Really happy to see the massive traffic cone Majima hid under is still there.

i'm happy to see SOMEONE say this at least, i'm preparing myself for a huge drop in quality but i hear 5 and 6 are good and i want to get through kiryu's whole story. i might try to repress my compulsions and not 100 percent 3 and 4 and just go for all substories.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’m sorry but 100% Yakuza games is just insanity. I think 5 is supposed to be the toughest.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brass Hand posted:

I’m sorry but 100% Yakuza games is just insanity. I think 5 is supposed to be the toughest.

it wasn't that much to do it with 0 and k1. like i'm pretty sure i have fewer than 60 hours in both. the thing that took the longest was getting the weapons in both cases.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Brass Hand posted:

Yeah I always thought it was nuts that he’s doing that lol. The sheer amount of content always seemed to me like an invitation to do what you like and ignore what you don’t because there will still be a huge amount of stuff to do.

My save file in 5 was just over 90 hours long and still only like 30% completion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My save file in 5 was just over 90 hours long and still only like 30% completion

:stare:

0 and Kiwami 1 definitely don't take that kind of commitment, lol. some of the mini-games are hard, but the only thing that ever felt grindey to me is taking cabs, collecting weapons and the restaurant completion list. they take less time than completing your average PS2 era JRPG to 100 percent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like i guess fundamentally, besides that it probably isn't as time consuming as looks for the first two games, most of the stuff on the completion list falls into three categories: something you'll just do automatically while you're doing other stuff, stuff that's kind of hard but fair, or stuff that's kind of bullshit but easy and not too time consuming. most of the mini games are just relaxing real games that you can play in between getting tilted at the batting cages.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
my first playthru of 5 where i did all the substories and all the stuff in the character specific minigames was 70hr12min for 50.30% completion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what the hell changes in 5 that makes it so much more insane? it feels like the time almost doubles

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

on the last chapter of yakuza like a dragon. what an awesome game it’s been

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bicyclops posted:

what the hell changes in 5 that makes it so much more insane? it feels like the time almost doubles

5 Characters, 5 cities, and on top of substories each character has a side story with like 20-30 missions.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I T S G R O W I N G

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seltzer posted:

5 Characters, 5 cities, and on top of substories each character has a side story with like 20-30 missions.

i guess i'll see what i decide to do when i get there, lol. kiwami 2 seems more like 0 and K1, even if sotenebori is back in the mix.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm probably gonna start 5 later today and honestly i'm pumped. yakuza ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

yakuza ftw