Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

Hold on, what?

Amusingly, if I try to google this, it assumes I mean "directed acyclic"

yeah, you need to find the obscure paper. hold on, ill go find the cite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i worked for two years at a company that did autocomplete all day every day and we used a doubly acyclic weighted graph w learned weights

(reeeeeeal confusingly, there's a dawg that's a directed acyclic word graph in wikipedia that's a separate data structure also useful for autocomplete all day erry day)

What's a dawg?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xtal posted:

What's a dawg?

Not much, what’s a dawg with you?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Side twist on the recent Interviews process discussion: I just went through my first interview on the Manager track and apparently just missed getting an offer at Indeed. The recruiter invited me to reapply down the road.

It was a little different a process with the manager track. No dumb whiteboard algorithms, more discussion of whats and hows I've experienced before.

The two technical aspects were a nebulous "architecture" interview and a code review. I knew I was weak in the architecture one: I didn't have a methodical approach and was scattered. I can definitely present it better the next go 'round. I felt strongly about my code review portion, but I also sensed that the lead interviewer didn't quite "get" my comments a few times and was giving some confusing signals to the point where the secondary interviewer hopped in once with a, "no, this is ___" when we were talking about if the code was being rendered server or client side. I mentioned after making about 6-7 comments on the most important aspects of the PR that this was the point that I probably would kick it back for a second revision, and that seemed to annoy him.

The manager portions consisted of a project review, and a mock interview, which is really the first time I've gotten to give an interview since I was very early in my career, since I switched to management track at the start of the pandemic.

The recruiter was not the most helpful: I got lost in the process a few times (it was a month between my phone screen and 1st round, and another month between my 1st and 2nd rounds), and I think I'm going to have to use my "inside" person to get proper feedback on where they felt I was weak. He also had a bunch of prep advice that proved to not be useful and perhaps even led me down the wrong path.

Not knowing exact feedback, my skill areas to improve would be in data-driven management (that's an Indeed focus) and structured management (as our corporate structure is very wild west).

All that gets me to my follow-up: anyone know of any near-FAANG companies like Indeed (with good work/life balance, total comp, remote first) that would be a soft place to "level-up" my engineering management skills that I should look at?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

yeah, you need to find the obscure paper. hold on, ill go find the cite

Is it this one? That's the only result on Google or Google scholar for "doubly acyclic graph".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no

i think my boss had a framed copy of it lol lemme go call him up

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Salesforce

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

They're a client of ours. I don't think I'd like working there...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

phat rear end weighted graph?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

phat rear end weighted graph?

graph got them thicc edges

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
LC week two thoughts: solving tree/recursion problems without a whiteboard to demonstrate to my interviewer what I'm writing out is going to really suck.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

LC week two thoughts: solving tree/recursion problems without a whiteboard to demonstrate to my interviewer what I'm writing out is going to really suck.

For recursive stuff just always write the return condition first. As an Interviewer it's real annoying to try to check recursive methods where the return conditions are buried somewhere in the middle

marumaru
May 20, 2013

leper khan posted:

just always write the return condition first

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

leper khan posted:

For recursive stuff just always write the return condition first. As an Interviewer it's real annoying to try to check recursive methods where the return conditions are buried somewhere in the middle

Do you mean.... base case or something? Sometimes you can't always immediately return without branching to make other computations or do something?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Do you mean.... base case or something? Sometimes you can't always immediately return without branching to make other computations or do something?

Yes, base case. When do you know that you can start going up the call stack.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Remote interview? Get good at whiteboarding using google pages or something, and just share your screen. There's no reason to not whiteboard if you want it.

Also, if you are interviewing for a remote position and don't already have multiple monitors, get a second monitor.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I’d appreciate some insight on how much title matters. There is a position being created for me to apply to that is very much a Jack of all trades senior role, and the prospective employer asked me if I want to be a software developer, engineer, or architect.

I’m currently a principal engineer at a place with wild title inflation, making money comparable to SDE1 at Amazon would be, less than fresh grad at any of the other tech majors. I’m definitely going down from “principal” to no adjective, but does being called a developer or an engineer matter?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Twerk from Home posted:

I’d appreciate some insight on how much title matters. There is a position being created for me to apply to that is very much a Jack of all trades senior role, and the prospective employer asked me if I want to be a software developer, engineer, or architect.

I’m currently a principal engineer at a place with wild title inflation, making money comparable to SDE1 at Amazon would be, less than fresh grad at any of the other tech majors. I’m definitely going down from “principal” to no adjective, but does being called a developer or an engineer matter?

Last I read, Engineer seems to pay more.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I’m definitely going down from “principal” to no adjective, but does being called a developer or an engineer matter?

If it's up to you, choose engineer.

In reality it's just a vanity thing and titles are mostly meaningless, but it can sometimes sound more serious and accomplished and that salary stats sort of back that up. Alternatively, "software development engineer".

It's all pretty silly since in no way do software engineers live up to the standard of "real" engineers that get certified as Professional Engineers but since it's not a protected title in the USA take advantage.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Remote interview? Get good at whiteboarding using google pages or something, and just share your screen. There's no reason to not whiteboard if you want it.

Also, if you are interviewing for a remote position and don't already have multiple monitors, get a second monitor.

One thing I've found that helps, since I really need the handwritten aspect of it:

I've got an iPad with the Pencil. I use Google Jamboard on the iPad via the iOS app, then pop open the same board in the browser on my computer and screen share that. I haven't used it for interviews but it is way easier for just general whiteboarding in meetings at work because I can just draw with a pencil like I'm working the Telestrator on Monday Night Football.

I do have an interview coming up this week where I'll have to spend an hour talking about a big project I've done, so I'll probably make use of this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

They're a client of ours. I don't think I'd like working there...
I only know people on the SDB team and it sounds awesome, but couldn't really say anything about the rest of the company.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I only know people on the SDB team and it sounds awesome, but couldn't really say anything about the rest of the company.

Yeah, we interface with the marketing department, so it's probably very different when you get into the development world.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Back in '19 a company offered me a job but the pay wasn't competitive enough so I turned them down in favor of another job.

As mentioned a few weeks back, I got laid off from said job and now just applied to that company I turned down ~1.5 years ago :v: Assuming one of their recruiters reaches out to me, would it be a bad idea to be like, "Hey so in the interest of saving everyone time I turned down a job from you guys in the past over pay... So what do you pay now?"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sfdc is backed by big ol' oracle instances w about 1.5 nines of uptime and they got an internal project called 'sayonara' to move off of oracle thats helpfully late by like years

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Sab669 posted:

Back in '19 a company offered me a job but the pay wasn't competitive enough so I turned them down in favor of another job.

As mentioned a few weeks back, I got laid off from said job and now just applied to that company I turned down ~1.5 years ago :v: Assuming one of their recruiters reaches out to me, would it be a bad idea to be like, "Hey so in the interest of saving everyone time I turned down a job from you guys in the past over pay... So what do you pay now?"

I would probably not be so flippant about it, but mentioning that you have applied before and was given an offer in the first interview, if they don't beat you to it, seems like a good idea.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 27, 2021

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Any recruiter worth their salt will bring it up in the screening call.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Edit: whoops, not really the right thread for this.

Actually, I might as well use this post for something. I want to do a 5-10 minute talk at my workplace on what my team learned from replacing a core piece of our ecosystem with a new, better performing one. It basically boils down to this:

- Adopt a parity-first mindset
- Clearly define the boundaries of the system to be replaced
- Do gradual, evidence-based cutovers from the old to the new system

Would this be valuable enough to others to be worth doing a talk on?

Also, any advice on writing a talk+presentation? I mean, I’ve done them before in school, but it’s been over a decade and I’m rusty as gently caress.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 27, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

tortilla_chip posted:

Any recruiter worth their salt will bring it up in the screening call.

So no recruiter ever.

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, I might as well use this post for something. I want to do a 5-10 minute talk at my workplace on what my team learned from replacing a core piece of our ecosystem with a new, better performing one. It basically boils down to this:

Also, any advice on writing a talk+presentation? I mean, I’ve done them before in school, but it’s been over a decade and I’m rusty as gently caress.

Practice ahead of time. Don't have too many slides, especially if you are doing short talk. Pick important points and ignore others (again, short talk).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

One thing I've found that helps is to just stand there in front of a camera or mirror at home and conversationally talk about the topic. Rubber duck it and just let the stuff rattle out of your brain, don't try at this point to confine yourself to any time limit. This is to just to get you in the frame of mind of talking about the topic and to minimize the amount of "oh yeah I forgot that part" moments that might cause confusion or re-work later on while you're preparing the talk.

Then use that to put together an outline of the topics that you aim to cover. Use the outline to flesh out your presentation plan and any slides.

The general rule is that it takes an hour of prep/rehearsal for every minute of polished talk content. If you're not spending that long, you're probably not rehearsing enough. The pro move is to submit the talk to a lot of conferences in hopes of amortizing the prep time across many appearances.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pollyanna posted:

I'd attend!

I've used this guide to prepare a couple internal talks https://www.deconstructconf.com/blog/how-to-prepare-a-talk

Some specifics won't apply (I'm guessing you're not really going to be on a stage) and some points may be less relevant (you're probably not presenting to thousands of people), but they're easily adapted (sit in your usual chair with your headphones on and speak as you would on a call) and you can use the ratios as a guide (half the talk? halve the slides). Following it exactly doesn't take all that much CPU time but does require some decent wall time, so this is not a helpful guide if your talk is tomorrow.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Hey all. I'm a ten year FAANG engineer that quit in January with a financial cushion in order to let the world deal with its bullshit. I don't want to be out of the game long, and I've been keeping my skills somewhat sharp by working on challenging personal projects, so I'm already looking for new roles at what I would consider a senior engineer level (tackling ambiguity, mentoring and delegation, cross-org collaboration and company-wide impact on top of the programming skills). Is it a pipe dream to hope that there are companies in the NYC metro area that can match that comp?

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Catalyst-proof posted:

Hey all. I'm a ten year FAANG engineer that quit inJanuary with a financial cushion in order to let the world deal with its bullshit. I don't want to be out of the game long, and I've been keeping my skills someone sharp by working on challenging personal projects, so I'm already looking for new roles at what I would consider a senior engineer level (tackling ambiguity, mentoring and delegation, cross-org collaboration on top of the programming skills). Is it a pipe dream to hope that there are companies in the NYC metro area that can match that comp?

This was 4-5 years ago, but when I was considering NYC the FAANG companies paid well and had decent work life balance, the financial companies paid as well or better, though generally dependent on a bonus, but generally had bad work life balance and then there was a large gap. Levels.fyi shows a lower median and a considerably lower 75th percentile though there are high paying companies.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Catalyst-proof posted:

Hey all. I'm a ten year FAANG engineer that quit in January with a financial cushion in order to let the world deal with its bullshit. I don't want to be out of the game long, and I've been keeping my skills somewhat sharp by working on challenging personal projects, so I'm already looking for new roles at what I would consider a senior engineer level (tackling ambiguity, mentoring and delegation, cross-org collaboration and company-wide impact on top of the programming skills). Is it a pipe dream to hope that there are companies in the NYC metro area that can match that comp?

NYC in-office metro will have similar levels of comp. Look for a series B or C startup unless you want to take a slightly lower comp for potentially equity in a series A. NYC probably has more startups than SF area.

With a bunch of the big corps going over toward remote-first, I think everyone's comp numbers will start to move toward the mean. A lot of corps opened offices in the midwest where they could get cheap devs, but those devs are now in demand at big corp for higher rates while previous big corp devs are competing with them rate-wise.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kayakyakr posted:

NYC in-office metro will have similar levels of comp. Look for a series B or C startup unless you want to take a slightly lower comp for potentially equity in a series A. NYC probably has more startups than SF area.

With a bunch of the big corps going over toward remote-first, I think everyone's comp numbers will start to move toward the mean. A lot of corps opened offices in the midwest where they could get cheap devs, but those devs are now in demand at big corp for higher rates while previous big corp devs are competing with them rate-wise.

nyc has 30k, sfba has 20k, total valuation of the entire ecosystem is dominated by 10 in each one and it isn't even close how much bigger the sfba ones are

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

nyc has 30k, sfba has 20k, total valuation of the entire ecosystem is dominated by 10 in each one and it isn't even close how much bigger the sfba ones are

Oh for sure. And a lot of times when the NYC ones get big enough, they relocate to the SFBA. Following talent, generally, or following where investors think there's talent at least.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
FWIW my NYC-based employer's regional comp adjustment is +15% for SFBA versus the baseline NY pay. It's lower but still basically figgieland pay.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I'm sorry, I can't really parse this. NYC has 30k what?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Also what the gently caress is figgieland

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Figgieland is a state of mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Wow it's been a while since I heard "figgies" and I'd really thought that term had died.

Also what the gently caress is figgieland

It's where you go to earn figgies* so you can buy more tendies** like the loving awesome*** software engineer you are!

* a high figure income, 6+ figures
** chicken nuggets
*** economically overpowered manchild

edit: sorry, I'm grouchy today, but I just cannot bear the twee phrasing of the "always gotta get more" attitude