Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/1385255712830468097?s=20

game plz where are these for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://youtu.be/3Bse3kbLBCc

I really thought Rapid Morph would decrease morph time from Blade and Shield to UED, but I guess it doesn't.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just got my second WEX charm with two one-slots. It's a good charm but I think I might be looping because drat, what are the odds of two of those

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I was chasing wex charms and then I decided I’d rather have my comfort skills (evade distance/extender) in a charm so I’m not forever wearing nargacuga armor.

I just want rapid/pierce up on a charm please capcom

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Where's my goddamn several new monsters. I demand several monsters.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
"Several Monsters" is just a new hunt against a random pairing using wyvern riding against us. One hunt it'll be Kulu-Ya-Ku on a Rathalos, next time it'll be Rajang on a Rakna-Kadachi.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Dropbear posted:

Is it just me, or are monsters in general just a bunch faster & more mobile than in 4 / GU? I play greatsword, and very, very rarely seem to have good spots to line up a rage slash / TCS, even by canceling previous charges with tackles. Often the monster is just miles away at that point, although I started the chain when it was starting / doing it's previous attack (unless it's sleeping or paralyzed or something which doesn't really count).

Stuff still dies fine but I often end up just spamming the wirebug charge -> rage slash-thing a lot. Often you get a great amount of damage in by just using that to get to the enemy -> rage slash, then dodge away, do it again & repeat, but that feels a bit lame.

Monsters are definitely more mobile, but part of that comes down more to the skeleton improvements of world than necessarily Rise. Especially flying Wyverns got a pretty big overhaul in World, and it's really noticeable with Rathian. She's not really any faster but her moves flow together a lot better and the openings are a little smaller as a result. There's new tells on things like the charge, her air flip, etc that help you avoid them better to make up for the shorter openings.

On the other hand, Mizu and Rathalos got big changes in Rise that make them waaaay more mobile and hard to keep down though. Along with some of the new monsters it feels like you're really intended to use the wirebug to keep up with them, and it's kind of silly how zippy they are and then you bump into nargacuga which I swear feels -slower- than it used to be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Was talking to a friend about Tri. I never played it (started with 3U), and remembered he had mentioned a lot of weapon types were missing. Had a good laugh at there being Medium Bowguns because it had to do with the combined weight of the stock, frame, and barrel.

E:

Tyty posted:

Monsters are definitely more mobile, but part of that comes down more to the skeleton improvements of world than necessarily Rise. Especially flying Wyverns got a pretty big overhaul in World, and it's really noticeable with Rathian. She's not really any faster but her moves flow together a lot better and the openings are a little smaller as a result. There's new tells on things like the charge, her air flip, etc that help you avoid them better to make up for the shorter openings.

On the other hand, Mizu and Rathalos got big changes in Rise that make them waaaay more mobile and hard to keep down though. Along with some of the new monsters it feels like you're really intended to use the wirebug to keep up with them, and it's kind of silly how zippy they are and then you bump into nargacuga which swear feels -slower- than it used to be.

I wonder how much is due to being made with the RE Engine.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah mobility is just way up across the board and so unless you're using the new methods of getting around you're gonna fall behind. This is part of the reason I stopped playing hammer - you've got mobility, but your biggest mobility skill is such a long commitment that I get hit out of it all the time, and otherwise my best option is to just walk around which feels way too slow. Watching fast hammer kills comes mostly down to chainstunning, otherwise they seem to be pretty consistently one of the slower ttk weapons

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I had my Normal/Rapid Up 2 charm with no slots and thought, drat I wish this had slots, so I of course melded a Normal/Rapid 2 charm with two small slots. If I keep hoping maybe next I'll get one with one medium one small, and slowly wish my way up to a two medium slot charm so I can finally attain full power.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dartonus posted:

"Several Monsters" is just a new hunt against a random pairing using wyvern riding against us. One hunt it'll be Kulu-Ya-Ku on a Rathalos, next time it'll be Rajang on a Rakna-Kadachi.

Now I'm just missing Seltas Queen even more.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i killed magnamalo and it felt good

i clowned on him, and then we got into a narrow area and he carted me, and then we got into another open area and i clowned on him until he died

it was rad

this game rules so hard

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's a reward line called "Helper Rewards" that I noticed for the first time today while clearing out 1-3* Hub quests. It's highlighted in orange in the rewards. You also get a 10% zenny Helper Bonus when it shows up.

Anyone know what triggers it? Seemed to frequently have a Bloodrun Jewel in the rewards.

My best guess is damage proportion since I'm running Ortlinde in LR quests.

RNG dropped 3 Magnamalo Plates and 3 Bloodrun Jewels in a single clear earlier, pretty generous.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

cohsae posted:

Where's my goddamn several new monsters. I demand several monsters.

Edit: let’s try this tweet instead

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1385399636714692611?s=21

SirBukkake fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 23, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tweet was deleted, maybe they announced it too early. It was for a digital event next week on the 27th that is going over the Rise 2.0 update and details on MH Stories 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

v1ld posted:

There's a reward line called "Helper Rewards" that I noticed for the first time today while clearing out 1-3* Hub quests. It's highlighted in orange in the rewards. You also get a 10% zenny Helper Bonus when it shows up.

Anyone know what triggers it? Seemed to frequently have a Bloodrun Jewel in the rewards.

RNG dropped 3 Magnamalo Plates and 3 Bloodrun Jewels in a single clear earlier, pretty generous.

You get that if you are helping a low rank person as a high rank person and you're not the one who posted the quest

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

v1ld posted:

In IB they introduced a system where if you helped someone who was lower level than you (e.g. joining a quest posted by a low-rank player as high or master rank player) you got extra item rewards. I'm guessing they ported that over. Since 1-3 are low rank, and you're high rank, that's probably what triggers the helper bonus.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What fire SnS yall using?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Deified Data posted:

What fire SnS yall using?

They're all pretty fire.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Give me zamtrios and tetsucabra for my birthday capcom, please.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

chumbler posted:

Give me zamtrios and tetsucabra for my birthday capcom, please.

Gosh this made me realize how much I miss breaking tetsu’s tusks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It is time for them to address the fact that there are Jagras in this game with no Great Jagras.

Bring back the Greatest Jagras (and Dodogama while they're at it)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So I guess this will be an "available now" type event, cool. Thank you Capcom

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Pulling off the switch axe big drill explosion attack is really good. Super slamming an enormous fire-breathing bird into the dirt with the hammer is also really good. So is shield bashing in sns. I think I even might be beginning to understand how the IG works

How on earth do you pick a weapon to main they're all fun, I'm midway through three stars village and two on hub and I know I need to narrow down to like two weapons soon or I'll be grinding too much, but I can't do it. I haven't even really tried the ranged weapons yet

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

It is time for them to address the fact that there are Jagras in this game with no Great Jagras.

Bring back the Greatest Jagras (and Dodogama while they're at it)

There's also Jaggi and Jaggia but not G. Jaggi.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's also Jaggi and Jaggia but not G. Jaggi.

The Greatest Jaggi.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Princeps32 posted:

Pulling off the switch axe big drill explosion attack is really good. Super slamming an enormous fire-breathing bird into the dirt with the hammer is also really good. So is shield bashing in sns. I think I even might be beginning to understand how the IG works

How on earth do you pick a weapon to main they're all fun, I'm midway through three stars village and two on hub and I know I need to narrow down to like two weapons soon or I'll be grinding too much, but I can't do it. I haven't even really tried the ranged weapons yet

I tried the light bowgun and just didn’t understand it. Whole lot of tiny numbers and it seemed like it took forever. I guess the ammo types are cool?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I heard a good argument that the seven "missing" monsters (Great Jagras, Great Jaggi, Bulldrome (Ok, maybe not Bulldrome), Tetsucabra, Zamtrios, Uroktor, and Gravios) would make for a great lineup for a G/Master Rank full of "new" monsters, while still giving Tetranadon et all a chance to shine without being compared to the older amphibians.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

They should make G. Jaggi and G. Jagras into one tag-team monster. Or like a rat-king situation where their tails are tangled together and they're confused and irritable.

I love Rise. It's obviously unfinished, but I have 110 hours in it and still feel like there's a ton to do. MH is probably just the highest-quality game franchise.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I heard a good argument that the seven "missing" monsters (Great Jagras, Great Jaggi, Bulldrome (Ok, maybe not Bulldrome), Tetsucabra, Zamtrios, Uroktor, and Gravios) would make for a great lineup for a G/Master Rank full of "new" monsters, while still giving Tetranadon et all a chance to shine without being compared to the older amphibians.

uroktor is the small one, agnaktor is the big one

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

uroktor is the small one, agnaktor is the big one

Clap clap, clapclapclap, BEEEEEEAM

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The tweet announcement is back up, along with an extra bit of info: The size of the update (or the required extra space rather)

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1385425232991703040?s=20

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 23, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1 whole gigabyte of new monsters...gently caress yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
more insect, arachnid and crustacean monsters please and thank you

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

tuyop posted:

I tried the light bowgun and just didn’t understand it. Whole lot of tiny numbers and it seemed like it took forever. I guess the ammo types are cool?

Bowguns require you to explicitly build around them otherwise they're not very good compared to other weapons, but once you hit lategame armor sets they're basically one of the top-tier speedrunning weapons

Semi-related, but I decided to take my speedrun efforts to the arena. Got a 5:00 on Rajang with the HBG, and shaving another 30 seconds for S-rank seems tough, but I just pulled off a 2:50 Barioth with the gunlance

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Improbable Lobster posted:

more insect, arachnid and crustacean monsters please and thank you

Hmmmmmmmm, hermit crab.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Hmmmmmmmm, hermit crab.

Hayai!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hopped onto World to get my Old Horn fix, and ended up 8n the same session as a Hammer who was grinding investigations. I ended up joining them for several quests, and god drat do a Hammer/Horn team just KO the poo poo out of everything! Usually when I play online I end up in 4-hunter groups, but this was a sweet spot where two impact weapons going head-hunting more than made up for the monsters' increased resistances, and we just whacked them to the ground repeatedly. Just flinches and KOs for days.

Doing a triple Echo Impact while a Hammer does a Big Bang is loving dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Monster Hunter Stories worth playing? I know it is basically a traditional RPG.