Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The commodities screen is useful for finding out what is produced where, as that information is hard to look up otherwise, and areas with producers/consumers tend to have better prices for goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In the intel screen you can right click stars to set course to them, and you can zoom to the location of a mission too.

Also I can't recall whether the exploration and names filtes toggle that info on and off?

What I meant is before I've accepted the mission. I want to be able to see where exactly a mission is taking me before I commit to doing it.

Bold Robot posted:

You can definitely do this on the sector map, if I’m following you properly. At the bottom there are like 5 or 6 toggles for what gets shown. I have mine set to all names always visible.

Complications posted:

Turn off the inhabited option on the map.

I had no idea the Inhabited button did that. I assumed it turned off the names of inhabited systems, for some reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

What I meant is before I've accepted the mission. I want to be able to see where exactly a mission is taking me before I commit to doing it.

It does that whether you have accepted it or not.

Like you click on the mission and it zooms the intel view to the location.

It doesn't do it for contact missions which I agree is annoying, i would quite like for contact missions to operate through the intel screen.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 22, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

RC15 is out. Only change in it is a main storyline bug-fix.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone have a good alternative frigate to fly that isn't the tempest? The AI slaps using it, but I'd like something that isn't quite so expensive to run in an exploration fleet.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Will upgrading to a new release candidate ruin my save? I'm only using the lightshow mod.

On another note I keep striking out in all my blue giant and neutron star systems. No research stations. :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Anyone have a good alternative frigate to fly that isn't the tempest? The AI slaps using it, but I'd like something that isn't quite so expensive to run in an exploration fleet.

Two omens with aggressive officers that have systems expertise is basically a staple of all my early fleets. It will let you punch way above your weight with frigates. I don’t find tempests to be prohibitively expensive in exploration fleets though, I’d bring 3 tempests and 2 omens and a destroyer as your flagship (maybe a sunder?). This will let you fight small groups of remnants and the rest of your fleet can be tankers, cargo ships and shepherds.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Omens, Lashers and Centurions are great frigates, but nothing is as good as a tempest as far as killing power, imo.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SO Lashers are probably the most cost-effective frigate in the game, but don't expect them to survive most encounters.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Travic posted:

Will upgrading to a new release candidate ruin my save? I'm only using the lightshow mod.

On another note I keep striking out in all my blue giant and neutron star systems. No research stations. :(
nope. it hasn't screwed my heavily modded campaign. just run the new installer and it'll replace everything.

edit: it's a bit cliche but i've always liked wolf frigates.

Zane fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Omens are cheaper than tempests and as far as I'm concerned, a lot more useful. Much more durable and the built in system is very good. As noted it also benefits from systems expertise and they have an ECM system too so they're a great officer frigate.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Does the F1 commodity price indicator show you the best prices for every single inhabited system, or just the ones you're closest to/have a comm sniffer in? I swear whenever I check prices in my colony, it only ever shows the same few core systems, which all seem to be clustered round the one I have my comm sniffer in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everywhere, as far as I am aware.

But it will tend to show the same systems because demand and surplus require consumers and producers of that resource, and those are on the same planets every time. So Sindira is one of the few places that can generate a volatiles shortage (and also, ironically, a fuel shortage despite being the biggest fuel producer in the sector because it also has a massive high command on the planet that consumes more fuel than anywhere in the sector can produce by default)

If a market has no use for a material it won't generate shortages for it, and will have generally quite low prices for it. Markets with industries that use materials will have consistently high prices for it and will generate shortages if their supply is disrupted.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It does that whether you have accepted it or not.

Like you click on the mission and it zooms the intel view to the location.

It doesn't do it for contact missions which I agree is annoying, i would quite like for contact missions to operate through the intel screen.

Sorry, I meant for contact missions. Half the time I end up skipping contact missions since I have no idea where I'm meant to go except for "Somewhere 20 light years away."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

OwlFancier posted:

Omens are cheaper than tempests and as far as I'm concerned, a lot more useful. Much more durable and the built in system is very good. As noted it also benefits from systems expertise and they have an ECM system too so they're a great officer frigate.

Eh, they're different ships. Tempests will murder basically anything else in their weight class and can put a ton of pressure even on larger ships. They are the premiere conventional flanking / harassment ship in the game, even if they functionally cost as much as two frigates.

Omens are very good, but they fulfill a completely unrelated role on the battlefield - the two do not compete for work.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Daktar posted:

Does the F1 commodity price indicator show you the best prices for every single inhabited system, or just the ones you're closest to/have a comm sniffer in? I swear whenever I check prices in my colony, it only ever shows the same few core systems, which all seem to be clustered round the one I have my comm sniffer in.

One thing very nice thing about Nexerelin is how it shakes up the economy. Saboteurs, raids, and colonies dynamically evolving all produce far more shortages than in vanilla. Some colonies that are perpetually strapped in vanilla can work their way to solvency in Nex.

I got offered a contract to produce 6 units of harvested organs...is that even possible? :prepop:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vengarr posted:

One thing very nice thing about Nexerelin is how it shakes up the economy. Saboteurs, raids, and colonies dynamically evolving all produce far more shortages than in vanilla. Some colonies that are perpetually strapped in vanilla can work their way to solvency in Nex.

I got offered a contract to produce 6 units of harvested organs...is that even possible? :prepop:

Take a gander at Nomios in the Arcadia system. Conquer that and you'll have it... at the expense of the Independents hating your guts. Otherwise you'll need Boggled's mod which has a Cloning Chambers industry (requires a Domain Archeology industry on a world with ruins) that does similar.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Don't 100% remember but I believe any colony with the free port status will create harvested organs based on the population size

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tibbeh posted:

Don't 100% remember but I believe any colony with the free port status will create harvested organs based on the population size

It does, but the value it produces is “Size of Colony - 5”. So even at Size 6, the vanilla max, the most you could produce is 4 I think? Alpha core + skill + story point boost?

Just wondering if I should report it as a bug.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The Omen is a good frigate, but i don't find it particularly fun to fly. It overcontrols like crazy and you'll be spending a lot of time just spamming the EMP emitter.

Hyperion is always an option, but difficult to acquire.

The Lasher is the old standby, always mechanically interesting to fly because of the spinal mounts, the ability to take a few hits, and the missiles. And with a generous OP allotment for fitting mods.

The LP Cerberus is a pretty wild ride while it lasts, just don't expect to be in it the whole fight - one way or the other.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Wrapping up a ScalarTech run, I'm curious if anyone else has tried them and what their thoughts were. I was initially extremely frustrated, but that got turned around hard by the end.

I started this one how I usually approach my faction runs, by trying to stick with matching in-faction ships and weapons as much as possible, past the early game where you pretty much have to take whatever you can get. As I was making that transition, when I was still only able to afford mostly frigates and destroyers, I found them extremely lackluster - both their ships and weapons at that stage are extremely samey and don't feel differentiated. The ships are all slightly faster than average with an extreme reliance on energy weapons and zero ballistics, and the energy weapons are all mid-low range non-beams, most with some sort of gimmick that usually doesn't feel great. Even their missiles deal energy damage, and while it's very good (more to come on that), the magazine count is too low to really be practical. The ships just never felt like they could actually crack shields, fights took forever, and I kept taking losses when I tried to rely on them.

I checked the mod's thread and saw that the author themselves stated that the faction weapons were admittedly niche and the faction was intended to mix in vanilla weapons. This helped the fits a bit, but shield cracking remained an issue as AFAIK none of their ships at this size class has a ballistic hardpoint, making missiles the only source of hard flux.

The first turning point was when I finally got my hands on the destroyer class carriers and got a look at their bombers. Specifically, the Garter wings. That energy missile I mentioned earlier? On a bomber that can reload it's stupidly good.

The tracking is better than 'decent', as long as it's within range and unobstructed it's practically a guaranteed hit owning to the proximity fuse. And it deals a lot of damage in a large area, easily hitting multiple targets if they're densely packed. Their carriers all also come with a faction hullmod that improves fighter rebuild and reduces crew losses which is nice. Later, I got the light cruiser class carrier and it's one of my favorite pure carriers of all time:

Just a wonderful ship, burn 9 default, loved it as a flagship even when I could afford bigger. I keep a few in my fleet even now as exploration support.

So that's the first thing that clicked with the faction. The second was finding their one frigate that didn't suck, a rare expensive one, Tempest tier:

This screenshot is from before the SO change, but even after I would just swap SO for hardened shields, drop unstable injector since it's really overkill, and take the difference out of caps/vents. In addition to the ludicrous speed, this thing has a system that makes it go even faster, while discharging a little emp in an area, the 2 drones are PD, and it has 2 inbuilt autoloading dumbfire rockets that do a decent chunk of energy and EMP. This is the one ship where the ScalarTech energy weapons actually shine, being medium range and 500 DPS / flux per second, on a ship can actually handle that and use them effectively. I think this is the most powerful frigate I have ever seen. It's 11 DP, and it can take on 2, 3, 4 times its own DP, survive, and even win. How much of this is due to the new changes with S mods / officer skills I'm not sure, but there's lots of fights now where I just unleash my 4 officer frigates on the enemy fleet and watch them dart in and out, doing whatever the hell they want.

Apart from all that, once you get to the cruiser class and up and can actually fit some ballistics, their mainline get good finally, although their battlecarriers remain supreme. (Also don't use the faction's one ballistic gun, it sucks.) Their top of the line ship is this... thing, clocking in at 100(!) DP:

It's some hilarious bullshit, just as OP as you would think from that cost. Can solo most fleets and stations, although star fortresses with backup and the nastier new spoilers stuff can still defeat it without support. The sides are actually sub modules, sort of like how stations have multiple pieces, with their own flux systems and hullmods although they still rely on the core's shields. Each of them have 2 fighter bays. I had to be careful with fitting this one, because the medium energy slots in the aft actually have about 270 degrees of arc, and putting anything medium-long range in it made the AI want to turn it into a broadside boat which is the last thing this thing should be doing.

I know this has been a lot of words, but I had a ton of fun with this faction, that I almost gave up on because using them in the early game was such a slog. TLDR, if a ScalarTech ship is shaped like a H or T it probably sucks, if it's shaped like a circle or a triangle it's probably good. If it's shaped like a circle AND a triangle it's VERY good.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Oooh I like those designs.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Also worth mentioning that unless you really want the base 9 burn from their capital freighter, you should stick with Atlases, since the Scalartech one has 500 less cargo capacity and higher fuel and supply usage. It's more heavily armed but if you're using capital class freighters in combat, odds are you're in deep poo poo already. :v:

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 23, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I started playing this recently and it's decent feels like a Space Mount and Blade, I'm unsure of the direction I'm supposed to go though. I have a lovely colony and a small fleet but is there an overall goal can/should I just be conquering those friendly factions in the center?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nalesh posted:

Oooh I like those designs.

They own and the fluff for the carrier’s inbuilt mods making fighter stuff better is that they just temporarily open a portal to a planet side base where everything is actually kept and serviced :pcgaming:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hopefully an atmosphere-less planet

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

socialsecurity posted:

So I started playing this recently and it's decent feels like a Space Mount and Blade, I'm unsure of the direction I'm supposed to go though. I have a lovely colony and a small fleet but is there an overall goal can/should I just be conquering those friendly factions in the center?

The goals are similar and also up to the player, with the addition of exploration and salvaging, but there are some unique missions at the Galatia academy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

socialsecurity posted:

I'm a new player as well, and initially struggled to get purchase on the What Do I Want To Do question. Installing the Nexerelin mod fixed that immediately by adding a bunch of Space Mount & Blade features, much more dynamic inter-faction relations, and also letting you choose to start out as part of a faction. Knowing who your allies and enemies gives a real sense of purpose and direction, and you can choose to go your own way at a certain point too.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I get to where I'm cleaning out the high danger systems and the EXTRA REDACTED at the Coronal Taps, and then I realize that the only thing left is to build a sector wide empire governed by AI cores and burning the hegemony to the ground, and then I start over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Eh, they're different ships. Tempests will murder basically anything else in their weight class and can put a ton of pressure even on larger ships. They are the premiere conventional flanking / harassment ship in the game, even if they functionally cost as much as two frigates.

Omens are very good, but they fulfill a completely unrelated role on the battlefield - the two do not compete for work.

They compete for work in that the only reason I have frigates is so I have a fast thing to take up space and distract things, and in that respect the omen is the much better ship because it gets itself killed in large engagements far less frequently.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sandweed posted:

I get to where I'm cleaning out the high danger systems and the EXTRA REDACTED at the Coronal Taps, and then I realize that the only thing left is to build a sector wide empire governed by AI cores and burning the hegemony to the ground, and then I start over.

It's the biggest issue in the game. There's no real endgame goal to work torwards to.

What good is getting these ultra rare secret weapons from these enemies when you've already managed to beat the hardest content in the game anyways?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

socialsecurity posted:

Go to the Academy in Galatia and do their quests for the main story. It's good!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, poo poo, I tried my hand at building an ARS Macnamara with Flooded Injectors instead of SO and it didn't go so well :( A pair of Phase Lances sure as hell aren't a patch on a proper Tachyon Lance.

Turns out that large mount on the Osmond is the real deal when it comes to your personal flagship. Maybe I should use a King instead and capitalize on the Omni-loader system...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

metasynthetic posted:

Scalartech stuff

Yeah Scalartech stuff only really comes together on its own once you get access to their carriers - SCTech fighters and bombers are critical for actually opening enemy ships up for murder. They're not the shitwrecking everymen that Wanzers or Rozenritter mechs are but they're the first part of SCTech's massive one-two punch. Once a ship's shields are down Scalar ships eat armor fast

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

metasynthetic posted:

I know this has been a lot of words, but I had a ton of fun with this faction, that I almost gave up on because using them in the early game was such a slog. TLDR, if a ScalarTech ship is shaped like a H or T it probably sucks, if it's shaped like a circle or a triangle it's probably good. If it's shaped like a circle AND a triangle it's VERY good.

The Filament is also real nice, bordering on OP. It can’t slug with proper battleships, but it has a MASSIVE speed advantage so it doesn’t need to. The ship system isn’t massively useful but it does have a niche finishing off overloaded ships.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

metasynthetic posted:

I started this one how I usually approach my faction runs, by trying to stick with matching in-faction ships and weapons as much as possible, past the early game where you pretty much have to take whatever you can get. As I was making that transition, when I was still only able to afford mostly frigates and destroyers, I found them extremely lackluster - both their ships and weapons at that stage are extremely samey and don't feel differentiated. The ships are all slightly faster than average with an extreme reliance on energy weapons and zero ballistics, and the energy weapons are all mid-low range non-beams, most with some sort of gimmick that usually doesn't feel great. Even their missiles deal energy damage, and while it's very good (more to come on that), the magazine count is too low to really be practical. The ships just never felt like they could actually crack shields, fights took forever, and I kept taking losses when I tried to rely on them.

I checked the mod's thread and saw that the author themselves stated that the faction weapons were admittedly niche and the faction was intended to mix in vanilla weapons. This helped the fits a bit, but shield cracking remained an issue as AFAIK none of their ships at this size class has a ballistic hardpoint, making missiles the only source of hard flux.
Assuming the mod follows base game conventions non-beam energy weapons shouls be dealing hard flux. Worst comes to worst you load down on IR Pulses and try to concentrate firepower. Now it's not exactly efficient mind you, but generally good enough for low-tier bare-knuckle brawling.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Falcorum posted:

Also worth mentioning that unless you really want the base 9 burn from their capital freighter, you should stick with Atlases, since the Scalartech one has 500 less cargo capacity and higher fuel and supply usage. It's more heavily armed but if you're using capital class freighters in combat, odds are you're in deep poo poo already. :v:

Yeah, with the changes to how the game cares about militarized vs civilian ships for fleetwide skill bonuses now, it pretty much invalidates every mod's 'this faction is so cool even their freighters can fight!' freighter. No, no they can't. I've been ditching them til the modding scene catches wise to the reality of it.

My personal standard is to throw augmented drive field on absolutely everything below burn 9, using story points if necessary. No regrets.

Vengarr posted:

The Filament is also real nice, bordering on OP. It can’t slug with proper battleships, but it has a MASSIVE speed advantage so it doesn’t need to. The ship system isn’t massively useful but it does have a niche finishing off overloaded ships.

Absolutely, I skipped over them and the Corsets but both are really solid, though I feel like there's not much of a role for the latter, given that a Filament has nearly as much firepower and tankiness while also packing 4 fighters and somehow costing less DP.

Insert name here posted:

Assuming the mod follows base game conventions non-beam energy weapons shouls be dealing hard flux.

Huh, all these years I thought that all energy weapons dealt soft flux somehow. I guess the only time I really use nonbeams normally is for super high burst blaster type builds which are actually capable of cracking shields on their own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All projectiles do hard flux, it's beams (of any damage type or mount type) that don't.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Built-in Drones shouldn’t count for fighter bay skills, militarized civilian ships shouldn’t count for DP skills. Or should count half, whatever.

I’m thinking of modding superior versions of hullmods that are unlocked by Combat skills. Like taking Impact Mitigation unlocks Superheavy Armor instead of Heavy Armor. Which you can currently order at the grocery store.

Combat is the least-valuable skill tree right now, making it less selfish would make those skills more attractive. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would take it once to unlock the hullmods and then immediately reset it.