Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yeah, bounties. A system that everyone hates. Perfect for showing off your new shiny feature!

Bungo gonna Bungo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Arkage posted:

loving bounties, man.

Thats it, thats the game. You collect them and finish them

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Theres already 20 different currencies in the game and after a certain point most of them DO NOTHING.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you do 16 bounties
and what do you get?
another day older
and one step of a quest

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

impressed that bungie is doing all the absolute worst practices of like early 2010s free2play games in a full price retail game with multiple paid expansions and dlcs. really glad i stopped playing this after forsaken.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Mattavist posted:

Even aside from the monetization I don’t understand why steps 1 and 3 exist, why are there so many steps? It should just be do bounty, make ornament.

I imagine the multiple currencies are because it's not just do one bounty to get an ornament unlocked. Heck maybe it is but they designed the system so they had the flexibility to adjust at all points how much we earn/spend. Why the initial bounties need a currency is less clear to me, probably just to pace things out because people effectively have infinite glimmer at this point with Spider and all. Need to see how fast we earn the small currency and how the bounty rewards translate into actual ornaments before can really judge all that stuff.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
3 more "cards" then I get the catalyst for the DAKKA DAKKA gun.

Is it a decent heavy machine gun? The shield mechanic on it looks interesting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

2) Buy Bounties from Ada-1 with Synthstrand to get Synthcord. Bounties come in Strike, Crucible, Gambit, Destinations, and Raid/Dungeon flavors and ask you do things like complete strikes with a specific sublcass, capture zones in control, send blockers, do nightmare hunts or blind well, or complete a raid or dungeon

This is going to be one of those annoying things where it asks you to do arc strikes when the daily bonus is void isn't it? Like when Zavala's weekly used to ask you to do void, but the pinnacle needed everyone on the team to be solar, so you'd get people rerunning it with the wrong class and loving it up for the other two.

They keep loving doing this, and then fixing it after a few months when it becomes obvious that everyone hates bounties that you can't just complete doing the pinnacle runs you would have been doing anyway.

RocketRaygun posted:

There are more Hunters than other classes, and every 3rd place class each day gets a 10% bonus to their turn in rate.
I kind of feel like the hunters are going to get a huge boost every time crucible (and gambit a little) roll round because of Silence & Squall, AKA the fully automated blueberry murderer.

Also I thought I read somewhere that it was adjusted for population this time? Or maybe just someone posting that it should be.

Codeacious posted:

They were doing so well, but good ol' Bungo strikes again

Destiny 2 should have never gone F2P
You never go full f2p.

I still think they should have given away some kind of founders status to players who paid for the base game & expansions. You know, a reflection that you've already put over a hundred currency into the game and the expansions vs someone who just picks up the game for free and pays for the season pass.

We should at least get some free rolling currency to reglect the money we already paid. I get wringing the f2p players for cash since that makes sense from an ongoing support model. But we already paid. A lot, in most cases.

I mean yes, I get that legally they have no requirement to, but it's still lovely of them to treat the paid AAA buyers who gave them the downpayment for their new studio the same as fortnite kids.

Bideo James posted:

if the Guardian Games Bright Dust bounties are anything to measure future bounties by, its gonna be stupid

20 kills with Hand Cannons for 10 bright dust Crucible bounty vs 5 kills with Hand Cannons for 10 bright dust Crucible bounty
It's especially nonsensical now they decoupled silver and bright dust, didn't they? So there's not even the justification that you can 'buy' more bright dust, it's just another grind currency now.

Bideo James posted:

oh yeah, you dont need to pay Microsoft money anymore to be able to play Free to Play games, this includes Destiny 2

so i guess something changed
You still need to pay for PS+ and there's no sign of that changing.

Considering that PS started out as Destiny's prestige platform, it'd be hilarious how owned we are if I wasn't paying extra for the goodbad game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like when Zavala's weekly used to ask you to do void, but the pinnacle needed everyone on the team to be solar, so you'd get people rerunning it with the wrong class and loving it up for the other two.

I don't think that's how it's ever worked, it's always been on an individual basis. Unless it works differently when you have a premade fireteam, maybe?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
And it really is vexing how it's completely obvious the "Kill X things with Kinetic damage" bounty is far superior to the "Kill X things with this particular weapon type" bounties, yet they just keep that poo poo in the game to force people to play in ways they don't want to play. I've really gotten the shits of grenade launchers, snipers, and linear fusion rifles, and it's mostly from the game forcing me to use them over and over and over again for bounties. Like I can't even remember the last time I saw a shotgun bounty. Maybe 1 or 2 in the past half year? But it's not like I play every day, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 23, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arkage posted:

And it really is vexing how it's completely obvious the "Kill X things with Kinetic damage" bounty is far superior to the "Kill X things with this particular weapon type" bounties, yet they just keep that poo poo in the game to force people to play in ways they don't want to play. I've really gotten the shits of grenade launchers, snipers, and linear fusion rifles, and it's mostly from the game forcing me to use them over and over and over again for bounties.

Felt the same way about LFRs right up until I got Arbalest... and then got the same feeling back after finding out its exotic perk barely works in any content where "gun that works regardless of shield type" actually matters. :smith:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the fact that the Fighting Lion does a better job than Arbalest of punching down shields during Match Game makes me lol, and also lmao

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think that's how it's ever worked, it's always been on an individual basis. Unless it works differently when you have a premade fireteam, maybe?
There was something like that a while back - it was something like the weekly playlist pinnacle requirement would be to complete 3 strikes where everyone equipped the same element class - the idea being it would encourage everyone to equip whatever element that day's burn was.

Just to prove I'm not going mad here's a reddit thread mentioning it.

At the same time, Zavala had a weekly bounty that sometimes called for (i think 150) kills of a particular element.

It was really dumb and most of the time it didn't work, because while the daily burn rotated, Zavala's weekly didn't; so after completing their 3 strikes and getting their pinnacle, there was an actual incentive to go back into the playlist with the 'wrong' element on and gently caress over other players.

It's much better now that it's individual and it's for doing 3 strikes with the daily burn element equipped. Still a little annoying when there are stasis quests to do though.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
You just had to match one other persons element, it wasn't great, but it wasn't too hard to just see what everyone was using and copy someone else if you were the odd man out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The element requirement on the weekly strike challenge has always been one of the dumbest and annoying things.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
We should strike it from the record

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kith posted:

the fact that the Fighting Lion does a better job than Arbalest of punching down shields during Match Game makes me lol, and also lmao

This but it also makes me reload my fighting lion for another round

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of feel like the hunters are going to get a huge boost every time crucible (and gambit a little) roll round because of Silence & Squall, AKA the fully automated blueberry murderer.

Also I thought I read somewhere that it was adjusted for population this time? Or maybe just someone posting that it should be.

pvp progress is so freaking slow. it takes like 3 games to do a pvp contender card. Just hammer out level 1 nightfalls, you get a platinum medal in like 12 minutes. pvp is like maybe a gold in 30.

Also, last year it was adjusted for population (which is why there was no competition, the rate at which players logged in and played was the same every day except the first, and the population adjustment won out).

Like, there are two factors that contribute to the score because the sheer numbers of players playing (over a million active users across all platforms): How many players are playing a given class, and what adjustments are made for the imbalance of population. No individual or reasonably coordinated group of individuals can affect these two data points in any meaningful way, so the scoring and games will play out as they play out.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RocketRaygun posted:

pvp progress is so freaking slow. it takes like 3 games to do a pvp contender card. Just hammer out level 1 nightfalls, you get a platinum medal in like 12 minutes. pvp is like maybe a gold in 30.

Also, last year it was adjusted for population (which is why there was no competition, the rate at which players logged in and played was the same every day except the first, and the population adjustment won out).

Like, there are two factors that contribute to the score because the sheer numbers of players playing (over a million active users across all platforms): How many players are playing a given class, and what adjustments are made for the imbalance of population. No individual or reasonably coordinated group of individuals can affect these two data points in any meaningful way, so the scoring and games will play out as they play out.

bungie did poop out the numbers that titans were actually turning in more points than the other classes, but that might have been a circular reasoning- titans were dominant, so titan mains care, while the other classes feel discouraged

and there's also... like there's way more hunters, but I'd bet many more of them are casuals, or pvp only or whatever

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Destiny 2 PC: Circular Reasoning

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just realized the transmog doesn't do weapons. I guess that would mess with sights and stuff, but it also means I don't care about it, besides general disapproval of the handling.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Just realized the transmog doesn't do weapons. I guess that would mess with sights and stuff, but it also means I don't care about it, besides general disapproval of the handling.

Weapons require specific silhouettes, so it wouldn't make much sense to allow you to change those. Same logic for exotic armors. It would be actively bad if both of those were transmoggable.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They want weapons to be recognizable at a glance in PvP.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mazerunner posted:

bungie did poop out the numbers that titans were actually turning in more points than the other classes, but that might have been a circular reasoning- titans were dominant, so titan mains care, while the other classes feel discouraged

and there's also... like there's way more hunters, but I'd bet many more of them are casuals, or pvp only or whatever

Titans did more last year, yes, but less than the population adjustment that bungie put in. It is very likely that after a certain point, the realization that you couldn't influence the scoring set in and people just stopped caring... which made the scoring adjustment worse.

At least this year the scoring adjustment is dynamic, so by giving up early will mean you do better later.

But, like I said... It just doesn't loving matter. The two things that influence the scoring cannot be influenced by individuals. It's a complete waste of time and breath to try to do anything about it. Play the game, do your bounties, get your triumphs, do your personal rewards. Be a normal player and let the games do what they do.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

Destiny 2 PC: Circular Reasoning

Circular Jerking

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
has anyone ever been able to tell what specific weapon someone's shooting you with, without inspecting them

like, I can tell "ok they've got a shotgun" (which is statistically probably felwinters) but zero way to actually tell between Fel or Astral. Or like, hand cannons. You're not looking at the tiny silhouette, like oh that's a bottom dollar, I can tell by the pixels. You're like 'ow that did a gently caress ton of damage, it's a 120- oh I'm dead.' and then the death screen tells you it was steady hand.

or even exotic armor, like not even frostbolts's gonna be able to tell (without inspecting) what helmet a hunter's got on, you find out when they teleport, or get health back.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 23, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Considering we still can't even put shaders on exotic guns, I'm not surprised, even setting aside the "visual distinction" angle. Weapon customization is more restricted than armor.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

has anyone ever been able to tell what specific weapon someone's shooting you with, without inspecting them

like, I can tell "ok they've got a shotgun" (which is statistically probably felwinters) but zero way to actually tell between Fel or Astral. Or like, hand cannons. You're not looking at the tiny silhouette, like oh that's a bottom dollar, I can tell by the pixels. You're like 'ow that did a gently caress ton of damage, it's a 120- oh I'm dead.' and then the death screen tells you it was steady hand.

or even exotic armor, like not even frostbolts's gonna be able to tell (without inspecting) what helmet a hunter's got on, you find out when they teleport, or get health back.

Its pretty easy to tell what exotic weapon someone is using because they all make distinct sounds, but legendaries are a wash for me.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ben Smash posted:

Circular Jerking

What is the Traveler if not the epitome of a circle(jerk)?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The bigger issue with weapon transmog is that guns have different handling and sights

A sword is a sword, but The Messenger and Cold Denial have different kinds of sights, which might get into a grey "pay to win" if one kind of iron sights is better than another

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have two friends that I've gotten to dip their toes into the game, basically they've only played through the tutorial mission and then a few of the opening things for New Light, a couple hours at most. What do you all think is the fastest way to get them 30 legendary shards so they can go get the Prometheus Lens from Xur this weekend? I keep telling them "just wait until you get a cool exotic!" and I feel like PL is a pretty cool exotic.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

OzFactor posted:

I have two friends that I've gotten to dip their toes into the game, basically they've only played through the tutorial mission and then a few of the opening things for New Light, a couple hours at most. What do you all think is the fastest way to get them 30 legendary shards so they can go get the Prometheus Lens from Xur this weekend? I keep telling them "just wait until you get a cool exotic!" and I feel like PL is a pretty cool exotic.

Probably to do Strikes to get 20 vanguard tokens, then turn them into Zavala. Hell always give you a legendary item, which you can trash for legendary shards

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

SgtSteel91 posted:

A sword is a sword, but The Messenger and Cold Denial have different kinds of sights, which might get into a grey "pay to win" if one kind of iron sights is better than another
this already happened but worse: the Chaperone had more range with ornaments applied. (I think this might have been fixed).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SgtSteel91 posted:

Probably to do Strikes to get 20 vanguard tokens, then turn them into Zavala. Hell always give you a legendary item, which you can trash for legendary shards

That is an excellent idea, thanks!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Roman posted:

this already happened but worse: the Chaperone had more range with ornaments applied. (I think this might have been fixed).

Yeah, it got snipped fixed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Personally, yeah. Not a hundred percent of the time or whatever, not gonna claim I'm some silhouette savant but to your example specifically yes, I have picked out Felwinters over other shotguns and played around it

(specifically because Felwinters doesn't look like any other shotgun :v:)

RocketRaygun posted:

But, like I said... It just doesn't loving matter. The two things that influence the scoring cannot be influenced by individuals. It's a complete waste of time and breath to try to do anything about it. Play the game, do your bounties, get your triumphs, do your personal rewards. Be a normal player and let the games do what they do.

I just want all the Titans to know that he's literally only saying this because his team is winning. Continue slammin those medals and then do the flex emote in front of the hunters.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

also the sound of a gun is important to id it without either inspecting or being killed by it and showing it in the Who Killed You info

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dear Bungie,

Please just incorporate transmog into an aesthetics overhaul and make it effortless rather than adding another materials grind, and maybe even give it a new UI page. I actually have lost track of how many activities I'm "supposed" to be doing in this game and the ends they're means for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

poo poo that's probably more of a personal problem at this point ˡᵐᵃᵒ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Get Synththread to combine into Synthweave and then smoke it as Synthweed and eat your dog's face