Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda wanna watch it just to see how badly they hosed up what should be pretty easy to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ProperCoochie posted:

here's an original marvel story

This but Randy Johnson hitting Homer Simpson with a 100mph fastball.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

This but Randy Johnson hitting Homer Simpson with a 100mph fastball.

DOH

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Just watched Mortal Kombat and it loving sucked. The ninja stuff and Kano was cool but the rest is just poo poo. What a bummer :(

All of these HBOMAX movies have sucked poo poo, what the gently caress.

mallratcal posted:

I'm going to watch all 3 Mortal Kombats tomorrow and it's going to be delightful.

How naive I was just a day ago.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 23, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Whoever said the WB movies are going to HBO out of embarrassment and using covid as a scapegoat nailed it.

All of them are SO TERRIBLE.

I can't wait to see how bad Matrix 4 and DUNC are.

mallratcal posted:

Just watched Mortal Kombat and it loving sucked. The ninja stuff and Kano was cool but the rest is just poo poo. What a bummer :(

All of these HBOMAX movies have sucked poo poo, what the gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ivHf4ODMi4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Meat Wagon posted:

Lotta f-bombs in mortal kombat so far. Fair play

Foasty

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

true, this was a good one

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thank God Jackass 4 is going to save cinema. I can't take anymore of this poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thank God Jackass 4 is going to save cinema. I can't take anymore of this poo poo.

A24 should be tossed in prison for not releasing the Green Knight on VOD.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

A24 should be tossed in prison for not releasing the Green Knight on VOD.

Nah. They have a product they believe in, good on them for holding it back for a true theatrical release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There won’t be any art house cinemas left by the time Green Knight comes out

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So according to the reviews they did what I feared they'd do by including this new character in the series which is to spend a ton of the time using him to introduce the world of MK to the audience including having exhaustingly long training sequences that just kill the flow of the movie. Accurate? Apparently the fights are good but there's not enough and that training and exposition is time that could have been spent having more awesome fight sequences.

I have a feeling they were/ are expecting this movie to do really well and they want to cast an actual A list Hollywood star as Johnny Cage in a sequel, Ryan Reynolds or the like. Because I really dont get the exclusion in this one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend just texted me to say there’s no tournament in this new MK film????

WTF???

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
how in the hell could anyone expect a mortal kombat movie to be good, and be surprised or disappointed when it's not. just how. everybody shits on mk annihilation like it missed the point, when really it's the exact tier of quality that the entire concept of mk is on. it's like expecting a mario bros movie to be good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t expect any films to be good

Film is the toilet of art!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first Mortal Kombat movie is a million times better than the Mario Bros movie.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nah. They have a product they believe in, good on them for holding it back for a true theatrical release.

OK Mr. Nolan

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t expect any films to be good

Film is the toilet of art!!!

toilets are good

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

My friend just texted me to say there’s no tournament in this new MK film????

WTF???

lool. Introducing their fan fiction character, excluding the tournament I assume to help develop his character and the "world" of MK, removing arguebly the best maybe only charasmatic character in the franchise I assume for a sequel (Cage), these writers are up their own rear end.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 23, 2021

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

The first Mortal Kombat movie is a million times better than the Mario Bros movie.

a million times zero is zero

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remember in Mortal Kombat Annihilation where there was a Scorpion and Sub Zero fight, then they traveled in the hamster balls, then Liu Kang found his animality from Night Wolf?

Well, the new movie opens with the S/SZ fight, then for an hour you basically get the hamster ball but it's the all new Chevy Tahoe, then for an hour you watch Cole Slaw find his animality koda? cocoa? kona coffee? his kicky gold shirt.

And that's it. That's the movie. No tournament. No battle for humanity. Just Generic Man finding the courage to believe in his new shirt.

It's loving awful and everyone involved needs to be fired (except Kano).

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

how in the hell could anyone expect a mortal kombat movie to be good, and be surprised or disappointed when it's not. just how. everybody shits on mk annihilation like it missed the point, when really it's the exact tier of quality that the entire concept of mk is on. it's like expecting a mario bros movie to be good.

Get better actors for the first MK movie, choregraph the fights (like this new film has done), tighten the script a bit and give it an actual budget so the sets look good and there's actual fatalities etc and the first MK movie would be a legit good movie, so all you really need to do is remake that film, but without Paul WS Anderson. Like lol if you think we'd be comparing it to Citizen Kane or whatever but you could make a really entertainingly good action movie out of that franchise.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I enjoy both MK movies and the Super Mario Bros movie.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Remember when Jax takes off his robot arms and by using his confidence manages to punch the giant monster centaur to death with his normal meat arms?

I came.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The only fights in the new Mortal Kombat that were any good at all were between Subzero and Scorpion. All the other fights were super short and terrible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Just Chamber posted:

Get better actors for the first MK movie, choregraph the fights (like this new film has done), tighten the script a bit and give it an actual budget so the sets look good and there's actual fatalities etc and the first MK movie would be a legit good movie, so all you really need to do is remake that film, but without Paul WS Anderson. Like lol if you think we'd be comparing it to Citizen Kane or whatever but you could make a really entertainingly good action movie out of that franchise.

Basically this. If you cast appropriate martial artists, had someone like Ray Park or the Yuen Wo Ping fight team direct the fights, punch up the script just a smidge, and used modern CGI the original film would have been loving perfect.

It falls into camp because of how cheap it looks and how dire the acting is. And I love it for that. I really love MK95. It's awful.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Basically what I'm saying is let the John Wick people remake Mortal Kombat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nooooooo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The first twelve? minutes and the back half of the new Mortal Kombat are pretty good, the dry exposition drags things down.

I dont have this visceral nerd reaction to new characters, but Cole very easily could have been replaced with Sonya. At least his skin shirt thing is okay; if the movie does well enough I look forward to seeing Netherrealm do something with it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Stryker just head-shotting everyone left and right

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The dudes from The Raid still haven't played Scorpion and Sub Zero, and this planet will continue to suck until they do.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Most of the new MK movie is about the fighters trying to activate their X-Gene and get their superpower. Kano triggers his with anger, faceless new guy is his family, Jax lets say friendship/love.

Sonya gets hers after she kills Kano that's it. She just really loves murder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only Kano I care about

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just let Takashi Miike make a Mortal Kombat. He will make it gory and goofy as gently caress while also making it extremely accurate to the mechanics of how the games work but won’t bother trying to explain it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Just let Takashi Miike make a Mortal Kombat.

omg yes

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

There won’t be any art house cinemas left by the time Green Knight comes out

:smith:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID? It's all trash - Trolls World Tour, Mulan, WW84, Kong vs Godzilla, now Mortal Kombat.

The movie studios aren't releasing their best stuff on VOD. They're dumping the poo poo they know is bad.

:rip: DUNC :rip:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID?

Tenet in most places.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gutcruncher posted:

Just let Takashi Miike make a Mortal Kombat. He will make it gory and goofy as gently caress while also making it extremely accurate to the mechanics of how the games work but won’t bother trying to explain it.

Yes, hello, how do I make you president of hollywood?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blade of the Immortal was one of the last films I really REALLY enjoyed in the cinema.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nickelodeon did a similar thing with an NFL game a few months ago. It wasn't bad, but adding in a superhero storyline? I don't even know how that will work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID?

Tenet in most places.

pretty sure tenet was bad everywhere