Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mA posted:

FYI, this is the stuff you have to be ready to deal with at the Tustin microcenter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EP7PWyhPqw

Seems pretty reasonable, don’t cut the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
LTT VAG is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2u4-w5Ioco

already pwned

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Linus got more GPUs, so VAG drop should be soon.

He just did a drop on the lan show for "ASUS TUF GAMING AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT" but even getting to it almost right away everything is already reserved. It's https://www.lttstore.com/amdwanlive4 if anyone just wants to do a VAG test.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there was only 5 quesitons

honestly the hardest part is the loving link

"The number of the month we're in"

oh okay 23

wrong

does not bode well for EVGA chances

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

He just did a drop on the lan show for "ASUS TUF GAMING AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT" but even getting to it almost right away everything is already reserved. It's https://www.lttstore.com/amdwanlive4 if anyone just wants to do a VAG test.

anyone seeing sold out yet? He only dropped 20 and im still getting spinny wheel of death

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Professor Wayne posted:

Thanks, I'll try to get on the queue as soon as I can. I have gotten a 3090 on my Amazon cart twice, for whatever that's worth. I didn't pull the trigger. But if I'm fast enough next time, maybe I'll get lucky.

Just so you know, having a card in your cart doesn't mean anything- it's not a reserve system. So it can (and will) get bought out from under you.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Sickening posted:

He’s a shitbag scalper who flagrantly eschews the rules by trucking in paid line holders from his Craigslist ads. He also sets up little outposts at the front where again, paid line holders rotate in and out in cycles to ensure he gets all the top GPUs to flip.

People got tired of his poo poo and this how this absolute embarrassment of a human acted. Apparently MC management let this go on until this video leaked and corporate had a conundrum.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
someone should have told those people what they were being paid to do and how to sell the cards for themselves so they can make more of it just to spite that guy, they're gonna be scalped anyway but it would be funny to gently caress with him

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How much are those 6800 XTs anyways?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Shipon posted:

someone should have told those people what they were being paid to do and how to sell the cards for themselves so they can make more of it just to spite that guy, they're gonna be scalped anyway but it would be funny to gently caress with him

someone who responds to a craigslist ad to get paid :20bux: to sit in a line doesn't have a thousand bucks to blow on a video card to try to flip on ebay

don't think too long about the absurdity of the whole cycle, it's depressing

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Wait they did a drop on a Friday night during the WAN show? I pay attention enough to check their daily videos on the main channel but man this is gonna end up requiring notifications on all their channels and media accounts, isn’t it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Wait they did a drop on a Friday night during the WAN show? I pay attention enough to check their daily videos on the main channel but man this is gonna end up requiring notifications on all their channels and media accounts, isn’t it?

Congrats you've found the reason they're doing this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sickening posted:

There were empty chairs for hours, people decided to move up.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

strangehamster posted:

I bought an MSI compete system and it has special OEM parts inside I’m so mad. I can’t get the resizable bar feature working until they decide to update this summer.

From a while back but which system was this? If it's their Trident non-X (the one you can lay down on its side like a VCR), yeah, they use proprietary bullshit. But IIRC their Trident series uses standard off the shelf parts, though I wouldn't be surprised if they gated bios updates behind some kind of unified system-update software or whatever instead of just letting the user have granular access to bios/software.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
yo am I dumb or something, why does it seem like the scalper problem would be insanely easy to solve by each online retailer just limiting each address/household to one of (super scarce product)? sure there are workarounds / bypasses to this, but it'd be pretty difficult to bypass at any large scale. I guess they just don't care?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

my homie dhall posted:

yo am I dumb or something, why does it seem like the scalper problem would be insanely easy to solve by each online retailer just limiting each address/household to one of (super scarce product)? sure there are workarounds / bypasses to this, but it'd be pretty difficult to bypass at any large scale. I guess they just don't care?

Correct, if the heat from the backlash isn't landing directly on them they don't care if people are willing to pay way over the RRP for any stock they get immediately.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

my homie dhall posted:

scalper pays scummy PO box shop owner 150 bucks to take all packages addressed to "scalper mcgee" no matter what box it's addressed to

Since those places often advertise as 123 Main Street, Apt 7 or whatever, there's no easy way to tell it's a PO box shop instead of an apartment complex

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I say just stop selling online entirely.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The only way is to go full Hammurabi. If you get caught scalping, you get scalped.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Buff Hardback posted:

scalper pays scummy PO box shop owner 150 bucks to take all packages addressed to "scalper mcgee" no matter what box it's addressed to

Since those places often advertise as 123 Main Street, Apt 7 or whatever, there's no easy way to tell it's a PO box shop instead of an apartment complex

almost every major shipper / retailer uses some kind of api that will return something similar to

"rdi": "Commercial",
"dpv_cmra": "Y",
"dpv_vacant": "N",

I checked with one of the services I've used before and it'll also autocorrect 'apt 69' to 'pmb #69' and return invalid address or nonexistent if trying to use a mailbox number that doesn't physically exist at random places (ups store, etc)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

njsykora posted:

Congrats you've found the reason they're doing this.

Lol, we've legit got people calling Linus a superhero and thinking he's doing this out of some love for gamers or something.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Doomtrain posted:

Lol, we've legit got people calling Linus a superhero and thinking he's doing this out of some love for gamers or something.

if pc gaming becomes impossible to partake in because of this then his business is kinda hosed so he obviously has an incentive to make sure people stay motivated

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Doomtrain posted:

It was just an opportunity to make a 'linus drops stuff' joke, okay. I always know there's another side to this poo poo.

Shipon posted:

if pc gaming becomes impossible to partake in because of this then his business is kinda hosed so he obviously has an incentive to make sure people stay motivated

Some youtubers were complaining that viewership is down across the board because the market is just so much depressing news about 'poo poo you cant buy' that people are tuning out.

Until there's legislation to enforce legal penalties for scalping bots & price-gouging resales to consumers, PC gaming is kind of hosed. (As are a lot of tech-related sectors at the moment.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 24, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Some youtubers were complaining that viewership is down across the board because the market is just so much depressing news about 'poo poo you cant buy' that people are tuning out.

Yeah it's kinda funny in hindsight that GN Steve was saying in their GPU reviews "we're doing these now so when these cards are widely available the information will be there" now it's looking increasingly like we'll be on the next generation of cards before that happens.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Spacedad posted:

Until there's legislation to enforce legal penalties for scalping bots & price-gouging resales to consumers, PC gaming is kind of hosed. (As are a lot of tech-related sectors at the moment.)

You would think that there would be universal pressure applied to the matter by every business involved in supplying PC parts. A lot of the GPU providers make/brand other components and they aren't really having supply issues so if sales drop across the board, it affects everyone. I've personally convinced 5-6 people from work to build PC's in the last couple years and I kinda feel bad because they did budget builds with mostly 1060/1660 range cards to start with and can't upgrade now that they're heavily into PC gaming. poo poo like this will probably make them go back to consoles at some point because it's just too frustrating to deal with. It's annoying because I got a bunch of 20 year olds, who grew up firmly rooted in the console world, to make the switch and be excited about PC's and this whole experience will probably make them never come back.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
What can they really do at this point? Supply chains are not in great shape right now, people are desperate for any stream of income and resorting to scalping, and the scalpers keep outsmarting the storefronts at every opportunity.

I guess if you really came down to it you could require drivers' licenses and limit those to one person per, and only allow pickups in person at a retail outlet, but we already know they pay people to stand in line. Beyond that, it also doesn't solve the issue of manufacturers just selling pallets before retailers can even get their hands on any.

Pray that rumor about Yellen and a certain unmentionable asset class comes true, maybe.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Checking in on the microcenter tustin situation; according to the tustin discord folks, it's really grim, and probably not worth it. Unless you like the idea of standing around for 24-48 hours with people urinating in plastic bags.

I'm probably going to just cave in and buy a custom/prebuilt with the GPU I need. Why pay scalper prices when I can get a whole new system.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 24, 2021

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The anti-bot stuff doesn't work. The Microcenter lines don't work. The shuffle doesn't work. The EVGA queue doesn't work. Because none of them require any investment up front.

Just have every storefront take what would functionally be pre-orders. You pay in full up front. Scalpers have capital that's clear, but I'd bet most don't have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to tie up for weeks/months just to bogart the the front of the line forever. In that situation, at least everyone knows they are in line and will eventually get a card.

The reason I and I imagine others are willing to now go with the PC builders is because it is literally the only way to give someone money now to get in line to eventually get a card. That's with ship dates on pre-builts 6-10+ weeks out. Just knowing you are at least in line would really dampen the urge to pay scalper prices for a lot of people.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

RVT posted:

The EVGA queue doesn't work

It does but apparently they have contractual obligations to supply retail partners with most of their stock so there isn't much left to service the queue or Step-Up. I would think that if those retailers implemented queues of their own with strict adherence to provable physical addresses, it would go a long way to helping the situation. Nothing is perfect and I'm not smart enough to have all the answers but literally the only supplier even attempting to be "fair" is EVGA. When 90% of a Best Buy drop gets snapped up by a bot and the dude brags about it on Twitter with screenshots as proof and they don't care, it's insulting. They can't even be bothered to pretend like they give a poo poo.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

RVT posted:

The anti-bot stuff doesn't work. The Microcenter lines don't work. The shuffle doesn't work. The EVGA queue doesn't work. Because none of them require any investment up front.

Just have every storefront take what would functionally be pre-orders. You pay in full up front. Scalpers have capital that's clear, but I'd bet most don't have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to tie up for weeks/months just to bogart the the front of the line forever. In that situation, at least everyone knows they are in line and will eventually get a card.

The reason I and I imagine others are willing to now go with the PC builders is because it is literally the only way to give someone money now to get in line to eventually get a card. That's with ship dates on pre-builts 6-10+ weeks out. Just knowing you are at least in line would really dampen the urge to pay scalper prices for a lot of people.

I think legislation would probably be the only real way to solve this, but GPUs/videogame stuff generally probably isn't too high on the priority list for legislators to want to spend political capital on. There was some talk here in the UK about anti-reseller legislation when the PS5 came out, but honestly it'd have to take this happening for more essential items, food/medicine/etc for wider action to be taken. And I imagine over in the USA, the fact that there's the whole issue of Federal vs State governments probably makes it practically impossible for anything to happen.

Otherwise, the only hope is that people's spending habits go back to pre-pandemic as things ease up and demand relaxes enough for scalpers to target other markets, or go back to their traditional hunting grounds like the designer shoe market or whatever.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Alan Smithee posted:

"The number of the month we're in"

oh okay 23

wrong

I’m sorry you had to learn this way.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Black Sunshine posted:

It does but apparently they have contractual obligations to supply retail partners with most of their stock so there isn't much left to service the queue or Step-Up.

I've been in the EVGA queue for 5 months, and I'm no where close to getting a GPU through it. If that's your definition of it working, then alright I guess? Of the retailers, I'd agree EVGA is the best by sheer fact of even having a queue. I'd disagree that it is working by any metric except that it exists.

The Grumbles posted:

I think legislation would probably be the only real way to solve this, but GPUs/videogame stuff generally probably isn't too high on the priority list for legislators to want to spend political capital on.

Like you say, no government is going to care enough about luxury nerd goods to get involved. I agree. I'm saying, there is another way to solve this. It's money. For a random nerd to tie up 400-1000 bucks for a few weeks or a few months, they can do that all day, there are tons of them and it's only 400 to 1000 bucks a person. As a scalper, how many graphics cards are they willing or even able to front the cash for? 10? 100? On top of that, how many are they willing to front for when they know all the hardcore people that would normally be the ones willing to pay their x3-x4 MSRP on eBay are also going to be in line and know they are getting a card?

This is not a fantasy system. It is currently in place and working. You just have to buy a full PC around the GPU. It doesn't have to be that way.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Stores don't always know when they will be receiving orders. They can't accept preorders when they don't have a firm estimate of even when they'll be able to fulfill that. There's a reason stores don't take preorders when it would benefit them too to get the money up-front and guaranteed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

Stores don't always know when they will be receiving orders. They can't accept preorders when they don't have a firm estimate of even when they'll be able to fulfill that. There's a reason stores don't take preorders when it would benefit them too to get the money up-front and guaranteed.

isn't this essentially what's going on with Canada Computers? At least how LTT described it on WAN oh cool im one of those assholes now

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Shipon posted:

You can order a computer right now from Origin PC with a 3080 in it. They can't tell you what model, or even what brand, or when it will ship.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

RVT posted:

You can order a computer right now from Origin PC with a 3080 in it. They can't tell you what model, or even what brand, or when it will ship.

If you're willing to put down full price (and being Origin, emphasis on the "full" part) for a product which has no estimate of delivery or even which model you're getting, you're crazy.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

RVT posted:

My guess is if you're running a small business that does built to order PCs, you've already got systems set up for taking and managing orders in advance of stock like that, and its easier to manage your customers and their expectations if stuff goes wrong. It's just gonna be operating at a much smaller scale than your Microcenters or whatever. I also think the reason they can take orders in advance is just because it's less worthwhile for a scalper to snipe a big custom built PC and deal with the hassle and risk of having to sell extra parts - especially when the monitoring/botting software is already set up to track individual GPU availability.

But yeah I doubt big store chains have that infrastructure in place to take orders in advance when future stock availability is an unknown because that's not normally something they'd need to worry about. Setting that stuff up - which includes specific kinds of databases, staff + support to manage them, and maybe even legal + insurance stuff on top of that, is probably too much of a hassle for what probably feels to them like a temporary shortage. I also think that yes, those queues would still get sniped by people who didn't need them, whatever sized queue they set up would be sold out in minutes, etc. It all sucks, I know, but I really do think the only way individual part availability is going to get better is if demand shrinks because people's spending habits change.

edit: but honestly I just think that buying things to flip them because demand is high is so obviously wrong it should be illegal. Maybe if shortages do continue across the board, that'll happen in Western countries.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 24, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
At this point even if the price of a-certain-asset-which-shall-not-be-named drops to the point where everyone buying GPUs for that purpose disappears, it is still going to take a lot of people deciding not to spend money on PCs anymore for demand to even remotely match supply. Maybe if all those cards end up going on the used market it might start approaching normal but that's really hoping for a lot at this point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we're lucky integrated GPUs are even a thing

can you imagine how bad this would be if your standard Excel-pushing office PC still needed a discrete card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

we're lucky integrated GPUs are even a thing

can you imagine how bad this would be if your standard Excel-pushing office PC still needed a discrete card?

It might be better. Manufacturers would have an incentive to keep orders on the old processes running long lines of barebones low to mid range cards.