Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

So, tried the new game mode. First area, the floor didn't load, and I fell into the abyss, so good job there.

Everything else ran smoothly aside from disconnect and a reset. I hope they add some Nuffle areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Bussamove posted:

I'll never understand how people can stand the fisheye look to get that sweet huge FoV. It gives me a headache.

I pretty much immediately maxed it out when I started the game and saw it recommended by some streamers and just kind of acclimated to it. I wonder if it's like a motion sickness thing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab Sabbington posted:

I pretty much immediately maxed it out when I started the game and saw it recommended by some streamers and just kind of acclimated to it. I wonder if it's like a motion sickness thing?

I tried max fov again and man getting surrounded is terrifying when you can see round your head like a lizard

And easy, I had a lot of trouble even navigating let alone fighting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

btw who the gently caress is dawri

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

you and I my friend

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

btw who the gently caress is dawri

It’s one of many Bardin-isms you’ll hear a lot— it’s what he uses to refer to the other Ubersreik Five when not using their specific nicknames he has for them.

Basically from Khazalid (dwarven) it translates to “someone almost as good as a dwarf”. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aw, that's sweet :shobon:

one thing i've always wished for more of in fight-y games is the option to use a bo staff. Not a glaive, halberd, whatever else; just a real big fuckin wood stick with which to whap rats upside the chin. i hope sienna or someone can do that here

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

aw, that's sweet :shobon:

one thing i've always wished for more of in fight-y games is the option to use a bo staff. Not a glaive, halberd, whatever else; just a real big fuckin wood stick with which to whap rats upside the chin. i hope sienna or someone can do that here

Bardin really is the best. He really genuinely seems to care about the others. Even the elf. Somehow.

Sienna has staves but they’re all off the shoots-magic kind. The closest to a whapping stick is either Bardin or Kruber’s two-handed hammers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

LOL you nerds. Are you solving equations to play optimally?

I click the mouse and the weapon swings.

Normally I do solve equations, I'm not a clueless CASUAL, but I still use the weapon exchange altar. It's a good way to try out new things.

For example, I thought that all Greatswords were garbage, but I found out that the elf's Greatsword is actually...pretty good? Mulches hordes, only downside is it's kind of awkward against armor unless you're good at getting headshots.

Ciaphas posted:

so as a feckless idiot newbie to this game who's otherwise familiar with team based games like this (don't run off, don't waste heals, rock n stone, etc), what am i probably doing that'd bemuse, annoy or even piss off a vet

The big thing is, don't run off like an idiot, try to stay close to the rest of your team.

Learn how to tag enemies, turn it into an automatic habit, and tag whatever you can (though always prioritize specials). It can easily save a run.

Otherwise heal, or give health potions to, team members when they need it. Remember that if both of you have a 'skull' (= going to 0 health immediately kills you instead of just downing you), you can get rid of both skulls by medpack-healing the other teammate that has one.

Block, block, block. It should become second nature to hold block when you're out in the open and still getting your bearings, rounding a corner, or any such situation.

Move up to at least Champion whenever you have the levels for it, most of the players on Recruit and Veteran are clueless and you won't be learning much.

Give a shout if you'd like a list of recommended mods that will immediately make you more competent as a player.

Ciaphas posted:

Video I was watching said FF in melee never exists (mostly), just ranged, but it's an old video; is that still true?

Yes. Your weapons also never get blocked by supposedly solid objects; use this to your advantage. For example, if your teammates are hitting enemies coming through a doorway, you can stand off to the side (out of the way) and still help out by killing them through the wall.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 24, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Besides looking at the player models is there any menu or something to see what weapons the party is using, so i have some idea how to kit out?

Get the Player List Plus mod and press tab :eng101:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1455893647

It only works with teammates that also have the mod, but really, everyone should have this mod. There's no excuse.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I will forever love Grail Knight Kruber calling Saltzpyre "Peasant" at every opportunity.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Enjoyed a couple of hours of this today, wondering how important the DLC etc is? Will I be locked out of matchmaking etc if I just get the base game?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

field balm posted:

Enjoyed a couple of hours of this today, wondering how important the DLC etc is? Will I be locked out of matchmaking etc if I just get the base game?

If the host has the DLC you can play on the maps just fine, but you can’t get the weapons as drops/craft them unless you personally own the DLC.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why there are so many players floating 1000 currency in the Chaos Waste mode. They don't know how to buy stuff or is a pro strat I don't understand?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Penny for your thoughts on worthwhile DLC? The classes seem neat but boy the reviews're heavily mixed

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Why there are so many players floating 1000 currency in the Chaos Waste mode. They don't know how to buy stuff or is a pro strat I don't understand?

My guess is theyre either waiting for very specific boons/traits, or want to save it for next game (you keep a part of what you dont spend if you survive)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
You only keep up to 200 coins though between runs, Ive seen a lot of pubbies floating 1400+ and still make the <300pts guy buy the healing miracle. I guess its still the first few times for most people that are playing it.

Ciaphas posted:

Penny for your thoughts on worthwhile DLC? The classes seem neat but boy the reviews're heavily mixed

Engineer is a lot of fun, so is Grail knight. However: Grail knight cosmetics can be a giant pain in the rear end to get (Riposte a monster 3 times as grail knight for the one and only red illusion?), Engineer's are a lot easier to come by.
Bogenhafen is worth it for the quests and cosmetics, the maps aren't great.
Return to ubersreik doesn't add much outside of the maps, iirc? Probably not great value without the Vermintide 1 nostalgia.
Winds of Magic if you really, really want the weapons. Weaves are not worth it, and you're stuck with beastmen in the Wastes whether you have the DLC or not.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 24, 2021

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

This game looks fun, gonna try it today. How much grinding do I have to so before I can party with goons?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
None

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Remember that if both of you have a 'skull' (= going to 0 health immediately kills you instead of just downing you), you can get rid of both skulls by medpack-healing the other teammate that has one.

I’ve heard the skull mentioned before but I’m 700 hours in and have never noticed the fucker, even when looking for it one run. Where the hell is the skull displayed?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FishBowlRobot posted:

I’ve heard the skull mentioned before but I’m 700 hours in and have never noticed the fucker, even when looking for it one run. Where the hell is the skull displayed?

Look at Kerrillian

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lots and lots of clientside crashes today. Game kept kicking me and telling me to verify my install. Very annoying stuff. I can handle bugs in a single player game but when you're playing with friends its intolerable. First run to the citadel, got to the citadel, lots of bosses killed, lots of curses navigated loads of xp for my elf. CTD'ing 1/3 loads between areas.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Look at Kerrillian

Isn't the skull a Numeric UI addition?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The skull means "character was already downed, next down = dead"
Its also called "a wound".
You clear it with pots and kits.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also why is the post-mission screen now on an uninterruptable 45 second timer instead of 10?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Look at Kerrillian

Is this part of a mod or some standard option that must be enabled? I just tested it on a game with bots and there’s no skull beside a character who has been downed, for me at least. If it’s from a mod, it’s weird that everyone I’ve heard talk about the skull doesn’t mention that.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Do you need any DLC to play the roguelite thing?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

FishBowlRobot posted:

Is this part of a mod or some standard option that must be enabled? I just tested it on a game with bots and there’s no skull beside a character who has been downed, for me at least. If it’s from a mod, it’s weird that everyone I’ve heard talk about the skull doesn’t mention that.
It might be part of numeric UI?

Psycho Society posted:

Do you need any DLC to play the roguelite thing?

Nope

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I guess technically it's dlc but it's free so you just have to update your game. The paid stuff are cosmetics and a weapon pack.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FishBowlRobot posted:

Honestly i have no idea, thats always been there as long as i remember.
I dont think i have any mods loaded, since im only playing official realm and mods only work in modded?
I dont know, i took a long break around WoM release before returning round about outcast engineer, i dont see the mod manager like back then so i think any mods i ever could have used should be gone.

i dont see anything in settings or options ither though.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Honestly i have no idea, thats always been there as long as i remember.
I dont think i have any mods loaded, since im only playing official realm and mods only work in modded?
I dont know, i took a long break around WoM release before returning round about outcast engineer, i dont see the mod manager like back then so i think any mods i ever could have used should be gone.

i dont see anything in settings or options ither though.

Approved mods work in the official realm.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm liking Ironbreaker in theory but good lord is being that short ever cramping my style

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I'm liking Ironbreaker in theory but good lord is being that short ever cramping my style

I liked it in VT1 since I never had to look down to bash rats

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The marble herons discord server has about eight folks who’ve been playing regularly so I wanted to throw the server invite to this thread. We have a tag for the game to help with LFG- just ask for help adding it if you can’t figure it out. No judgement on your skill level at this game, all welcome.

https://discord.gg/jaBYA7yF

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/zPr5UGK.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

does anyone else get nearly unplayable slowdowns in the ice finale where you hold out, drop down into the tower, and hold out a second time?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Isn't the skull a Numeric UI addition?

I believe so...which is another reason why it's a must-have mod.

e: Numeric UI, Player List Plus, and Skip Intro are mods that everyone should have installed.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 25, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't played as much as most of you people, none of my characters reached level 30, more around level 25, a pair were at level 18 (that said, I rotated between all, I don't have any main). So I was playing Veteran, but I think I'm going to have to try Champion because my last two games were lost because some level 1-5 players that didn't take the medicine I pinged three times :/.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 25, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FishBowlRobot posted:

Approved mods work in the official realm.

Guess i have some from before the break then,
thought they were gone since i didnt see any mod manager like i was used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sigh. I like the concept, I liked the implementation of the roguelike aspects, but I don't think the duration of the chaos waste games is goood for a game with this netcode. After 40 minutes playing without issue, I just disconnected from the host and the migration failed.

40 minutes wasted. I received 0 exp for the levels played, as you don’t get it until the match end, and it returned me to the main menu with 0 currency.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 25, 2021