Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Only make a one stat mag, especially if you're free to play

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Do excubes transfer to ngs or is that entirely contained to og pso2

They probably won't be used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only make a one stat mag, especially if you're free to play

They probably won't be used

and look up a guide on how to feed the mag correctly for your class

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gerdalti posted:

I've never played this, but I'm going to try it out. I did play a bit of PSO on Dreamcast.
Beginner tips?

Afin, Cofy, and your class trainer (Risa for Rangers, I forget the others because they're not Risa and therefore aren't memorable) are probably the most important quest NPCs starting out, do whatever they want you to do until they run out of orders. Cofy in particular unlocks a ton of features, like subclassing and your mag.

Careful using skill points until you find a decent guide, skill trees can't be reset easily/cheaply.

Fashion Phashion is the true endgame.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gerdalti posted:

I've never played this, but I'm going to try it out. I did play a bit of PSO on Dreamcast.
Beginner tips?

Delsaber posted:

your class trainer (Risa for Rangers, I forget the others because they're not Risa and therefore aren't memorable)

Hunter, Fighter: Oza
Ranger, Gunner: Risa
Force, Tech(t)er: Marlu
Braver: Azanami
Bouncer: Katori and Saga
Summoner: Pietro

And while you won't be able to access Scion classes until you have two base classes at 75+, for completeness' sake:

Hero: Stratos
Phantom: Kyokuya
Etoile: Lukot
Luster: ...Cofy

I don't know what you've inherited from PSO1 since I never played PSO1 but from my limited understanding this game is much faster-paced.

You also probably want to stop by the cafe and unlock gathering sooner rather than later.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Delsaber posted:

Afin, Cofy, and your class trainer (Risa for Rangers, I forget the others because they're not Risa and therefore aren't memorable) are probably the most important quest NPCs starting out, do whatever they want you to do until they run out of orders. Cofy in particular unlocks a ton of features, like subclassing and your mag.

Careful using skill points until you find a decent guide, skill trees can't be reset easily/cheaply.

Fashion Phashion is the true endgame.

I love Risa. AI helpers are generally useless but I like bringing her on missions because I never tire of her whining about me stealing her kills. :allears:

e. and yes absolutely look up proper skill trees for what classes you want to play

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

NGS in June.

Character creator/engine benchmark in May.

I want to get to level 95 before NGS. I am pretty sure I can do this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone ever see the Sega Saturn mag on the auction house? I really want to get that mag, but it might not be tradable?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gerdalti posted:

Beginner tips?

Don't just feed random crap to your Mag. Read a guide on how they work and make sure you feed the right stuff to get the stat you want while not getting other stats you don't want/need.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone ever see the Sega Saturn mag on the auction house? I really want to get that mag, but it might not be tradable?

They are called "Evo. Device: Sega Saturn (NA)" on the shop. Not sure which ship you're on, but there's one up on the Ship 2 market right now for a little over 22 million meseta and they jump up to 40M+ from there. You can also get them by buying the Ragol Fashion Pack and exchanging one black ARKS badge for it, but considering it is tradable, you're better off getting it with meseta if you can.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

They are called "Evo. Device: Sega Saturn (NA)" on the shop. Not sure which ship you're on, but there's one up on the Ship 2 market right now for a little over 22 million meseta and they jump up to 40M+ from there. You can also get them by buying the Ragol Fashion Pack and exchanging one black ARKS badge for it, but considering it is tradable, you're better off getting it with meseta if you can.

I'm on Ship 2 yeah. I just have 9 million meseta, so can't quite afford that. :P But determined to work towards getting one. The Saturn holds a special place in my heart as a console.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

orange juche posted:

Hell yeah, I'll come back and play it for a while probably, and then get pissed off at gacha and quit.

We should be friends. I too enjoy getting pissed off at the gacha.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Man the exp bonuses for bonus missions are nice right now, 3mil after boosters for killing the Tagami Kazuchi? Yes please

Hit 100 on my Braver and Ranger, used tickets to get Hunter and Etoile up high enough to equip decent gear and the game's been barfing out lots of bonus keys as part of this promotion so I'll hopefully have those to 100 tonight. Gimme them star gems

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Haven't played this in a few months (before they added all the new classes) and I've been wanting to jump back in. Is there a good on boarding guide? I have no idea where to even begin playing this again lol.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I also need some kind of newbie guide. I played a bit when this first came out, got a bouncer to mid 40s, and then just got so overwhelmed with everything that I wandered off. (Also started playing FF14, which didn't help.)

I just have no idea what to do. There seem to be a million quests, I have no idea which ones matter, and the game seems to the most important one is that I find a flower for some guy?! A Neverbloom, I think? Like, is gathering important? That was a thing I unlocked not long before quitting, but the gathering is so tedious when I could be breakdancing at robots to make them explode. I have no idea what gear is good, how to level quickly, or what I should be focusing on.

I know about correctly leveling mags, how to use all my attacks, and where to find guides for spending skill points so I don't screw that up. I also generally understand taking client orders and doing daily/weekly quests. But the rest of the "actually playing the game" just escapes me.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
This guy on reddit made a pretty good catchup guide: https://old.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/mysxoy/catch_me_up_200_days_since_last_played/gvxrygr/
This other post has a bit more on the resources you need for the Klauz units/weapons: https://old.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/myjo7k/what_is_current_bis_tmg_gunner/gvwx6i7/

There's also a video guide I've seen passed around but haven't watched myself yet.

I honestly don't know what you'd do to level up from a low level quickly (silver keys I guess? you get those from daily ARKS missions), but if you're 60+ gold keys are being given like candy and 80+ use the rainbow keys. Once you're up over 90/90 and have some good 15* gear you can take on divide quests and even at 85/85 you can join random Cradle of Darkness triggers. At the mission counter go to join another party and look for one with space, it's an insane amount of XP and also drops 13-15* weapons and 12-13* units like candy.

Then the endgame is just Urgents, Divide Quests, and the solo Omega Masquerade and Sodam ultimate quests.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You generally want to do the fourth recommended quest for xp at low levels and save keys for the 75-85 hump. Although the game is making GBS threads out keys right now so it wouldn't be that bad.

As said though, save any rainbows for 80+ to maximize your loot from them. Once you hit 85 try to get into a populated block and join either cradle of darkness or drawn to darkness triggers on UH. High density quests, cradle allows for bursting and piles of xp/loot/cubes. I hope in vain it gets nerfed because it's having some pretty unfortunate effects on the economy but I'm pretty sure Sega is just kinda throwing their hands up at this point and tossing the slops before NGS.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I started a month ago and ignored guides and advice completely and the idiot randos who join me in Cradle of Darkness in the last two weeks basically need me to bail them out all the time anyway.

I'm not convinced you can actually screw up your build in this game, though I haven't played most of the classes. I guess you could use your bonus quest keys badly, but poo poo they're everywhere rn and that just slows you down, it doesn't make you suck.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Well, in the end all that matters is how fast you can kill things. On the other hand, the class counter has a "Make my build medeocre instead of what I actually spent my points on" button.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I started a month ago and ignored guides and advice completely and the idiot randos who join me in Cradle of Darkness in the last two weeks basically need me to bail them out all the time anyway.

I'm not convinced you can actually screw up your build in this game, though I haven't played most of the classes. I guess you could use your bonus quest keys badly, but poo poo they're everywhere rn and that just slows you down, it doesn't make you suck.

I played for maybe 30 hours, felt the same way, and never once thought the game was hard enough to be interesting. So I kinda stopped?

I do keep track of this thread in hopes the PSO spark that hit me once in my youth could light up in PSO2. Maybe when NG comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Since levels and gear largely don't move over to NGE, is there really much purpose to grinding out levels right now? Just to try and get the free SG from quests and achievements/titles?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stanos posted:

You generally want to do the fourth recommended quest for xp at low levels and save keys for the 75-85 hump. Although the game is making GBS threads out keys right now so it wouldn't be that bad.

As said though, save any rainbows for 80+ to maximize your loot from them. Once you hit 85 try to get into a populated block and join either cradle of darkness or drawn to darkness triggers on UH. High density quests, cradle allows for bursting and piles of xp/loot/cubes. I hope in vain it gets nerfed because it's having some pretty unfortunate effects on the economy but I'm pretty sure Sega is just kinda throwing their hands up at this point and tossing the slops before NGS.

I thought everyone who participated in a trigger quest needed the trigger themselves for some reason.

Whoops!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I finally got around to starting last week now that I have some time to waste and I'm having so much fun. PSO1 is the online game I compare everything to because I have so many fond memories and I loved everything about it, from the art style to the setting to the music. I dumped at least a thousand hours into the original in its various iterations, and I can easily see myself doing the same here.

This is my first online RPG since Guild Wars 1 and while this stuff may be commonplace in other games now, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there is; there just so much to do, although I can see it getting samey after a while if you're not a fanboy like me. Fortunately I love all the weird stuff I'm finding to do. I liked the PSO2Comi screening in the shopping center, and when a concert was scheduled I didn't realize it made you into a backup dancer and turned into a rhythm game, that took me by surprise and was awesome. The first urgent quest I did had the Burning Rangers theme playing and that was when I knew I was home again.

The only thing I miss is that it seems like most communication is no longer done in game but rather in private Discord channels, so it can seem kinda lifeless doing the quests with other pubbies.

Also, Risa is the best and I love her so much.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 28, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stanos posted:

I had this same thought about that, it feels like from what Sega has said, that they intend to put PSO2 into maintenance mode, and then eventually just shut it down outright once NGS launches.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

Also, Risa is the best and I love her so much.

Risa is the best murderbot buddy, can confirm.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

anothergod posted:

I played for maybe 30 hours, felt the same way, and never once thought the game was hard enough to be interesting. So I kinda stopped?

I do keep track of this thread in hopes the PSO spark that hit me once in my youth could light up in PSO2. Maybe when NG comes out.

I mean if you only played 30 hours you probably got a good idea of the game, but if it's about challenge then the end-game content can definitely bring it

whether that challenge is fair or engaging or not is different question, since it's pretty standard WoW clone number-stacking after you get the basic twitch game stuff down.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I had this same thought about that, it feels like from what Sega has said, that they intend to put PSO2 into maintenance mode, and then eventually just shut it down outright once NGS launches.

They probably intend to have pso2 stick around for as long as NGS does, given how they've set everything up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

They probably intend to have pso2 stick around for as long as NGS does, given how they've set everything up.

I dunno maybe. To date every single other Phantasy Star Online has been shut down officially.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

I said come in! posted:

I dunno maybe. To date every single other Phantasy Star Online has been shut down officially.

but on the other hand, they never had the next game share like half the EXE or something like this before; and they've advertised swapping between NGS and PSO2 quite a few times now. Given PSU and PSO2's initial launch states, I guess somebody wanted to make it easier to hop over to a game with a lot more content in it until they get things more off the ground.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 28, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah PSO2 isn't going anywhere for a while, it'll just have reduced new content in a similar way that FFXI does

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also, shutting down the original PSO2 might destroy the legal fiction they're maintaining to keep all their collaboration content working in NGS.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm pretty sure it was stated in one of their videos that PSO2 will continue to run alongside for at least the next 5 years.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah ngs actually features the option of downloading pso2 along side it if you don't have it already, and the first Japanese beta test was run with the intention of how its connection to pso2 worked out.

Speaking of the beta test, I got into the 2nd one and recorded some fighter gameplay in the one actual dungeon in the test if anyone was at all interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n0SVD-G_p4

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Grimthwacker posted:

Risa is the best murderbot buddy, can confirm.

You hate people? But I'm people, Risa!

Wait, you have a list?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
soooo there's no more mission pass gold ticket, do you just pay to unlock it via the mission pass screen directly w/no item now then?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I bought mine from the SG shop but now that you mention it I dont recall if it was an item i used or it just unlocked automatically

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I bought mine from the SG shop but now that you mention it I dont recall if it was an item i used or it just unlocked automatically

ohhh okay I can see the announcement meaning that, like no item anymore it just happens

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

well that's new

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

but on the other hand, they never had the next game share like half the EXE or something like this before; and they've advertised swapping between NGS and PSO2 quite a few times now. Given PSU and PSO2's initial launch states, I guess somebody wanted to make it easier to hop over to a game with a lot more content in it until they get things more off the ground.

Also if NGE flops they'll have the regular PSO2 to fall back on instead of ruining a game that is, presumably, still profitable and not something they want to lose if they can help it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I honestly don't think they've planned particularly well for NGS to fail. The story's wrapped up unless they pull stuff out of their rear end, the market is in shambles (if you thought arks missions caused inflation problems, see how much money you make on a good pse burst in cradle turning your cubes intro grinders), they don't appear to have much left in the tank scratch wise outside of remaking more stuff for the new model rigging and I'd be shocked to see any brand new content at this point that isn't just updating more older quests for ultra hard considering they aren't even doing seasonal urgent quests on JP apparently anymore.

Some of the changes they've done have made sense for a game going into maintenance mode like easier affixing paths from raw catalyst drops, more powerstone options, etc but it feels too early to put on the market. I feel like the only way to make any semblance of money nowadays is to whale scratches, low drop rate cosmetics like camos, spamming cradle to grinder cubes, or a bad alt army for weekly divide and selling modules. The module market outside of Mitra appear to be drying up though. Crack is in the toilet price wise and affixing big units to sell is a dangerous game due to lower demand from a variation of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
well maybe ill be able to like, buy a god-unit kit from somebody to assemble so I too can have 4-5 armor units worth of defensive stats equipped.

back in the day before we had the Loadouts/My Sets function, it was a common mistake to accidentally forget to re-equip your units after swapping classes in the lobby, then you get plastered by the first thing that hits you and you realize what happened. but now imagine it going the opposite way