Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Alhazred posted:

The only good thing about the Conjuring movies is the direction.

I appreciated the trailer ending on a jump scare into a cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Thank you. I honestly don't get the huge appeal of Conjuring and I feel crazy for that. I remember hearing how the first Conjuring was a "completely new type of horror movie" and how it was so innovative and unique, and I when I finally watched it, I felt like I was missing something because it was a typical haunted house movie.

It also makes me laugh how so many reviews about the series talk about how the love Ed and Lorraine Warren have for each other is what makes the movies unique, and it's a testament to the great PR machine the real Warrens had. Two genuinely lovely people.

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are pretty charismatic and enjoyable as the characters Ed and Lorraine Warren, two completely fictional creations that have no relationship to the historical people Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were unlikable criminal frauds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

It also makes me laugh how so many reviews about the series talk about how the love Ed and Lorraine Warren have for each other is what makes the movies unique, and it's a testament to the great PR machine the real Warrens had. Two genuinely lovely people.

And now we're getting a movie about how true and correct the Warrens were about the Arne Johnson trial.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55SXvPwmogY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asylum seriously falling off on their timing, although the grandparent-buying-the-wrong-dvd-for-Christmas demographic probably isn’t what it was ten years ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"Industry Insiders" are back on the Firefly reboot bandwagon again

They "confirm" that Joss isn't writing it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Exactly how much demand is there for "post-civil war scifi where we copy an anime", especially at the current time where Whedon projects may as well be radioactive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this time with actual chinese people

Joss: "my vision :negative:"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Len posted:

"Industry Insiders" are back on the Firefly reboot bandwagon again

They "confirm" that Joss isn't writing it

I will watch this if they have a Browncoat go into a sputtering mess trying to explain the war...

"We fought the Alliance for the freedom!"
"For what freedom?"
"The freedom to do what?!"
"The freedom to...uh...uh...own slaves"
"Yeah, I thought so."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are the people that wouldn't shut up about Firefly for 10 years Firefly fans, or Joss Whedon fans?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember at the time really loving Firefly despite not liking any of Whedon's other stuff, but feeling like that was a definite minority opinion. There felt like very strong Buffy/Angel/Firefly fandom overlap.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It would be funny if this hypothetical Firefly reboot came out like 6 months after Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop just to really drive home the similarities

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Firefly was carried by its cast I think.

Everything else about the show was just plain repulsive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Roth posted:

Firefly was carried by its cast I think.

Everything else about the show was just plain repulsive.

The chemical that kills your rapist is a thing someone came up with

They then carried that thought out to "she was found surrounded by dead men"

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Len posted:

That is seriously just the weirdest thing. It's described like Whedon thought it was the coolest thing ever too. Like what the hell, when they showed Inara with the syringe I just figured it was supposed to be like a cyanide capsule she had just in case, not whatever the gently caress Whedon came up with.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Can’t believe they passed him over for Black Widow. Seems a perfect fit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Len posted:

It's also just a thing lifted out of classic 90s edgy garbage anime, Ninja Scroll

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are the people that wouldn't shut up about Firefly for 10 years Firefly fans, or Joss Whedon fans?

There's less of them, especially after the news of all Joss' transgressions came to light. A lot of people ended up reexamining the series through the lens of his abuses and came away repulsed.

Like roth mentions, the show was carried largely by the chemistry between it's cast and the everyone who was a fan recognizes that the series was good in how short it was, before the proposed second season, with Inara's rape poison, would have ruined that view.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DC Murderverse posted:

It would be funny if this hypothetical Firefly reboot came out like 6 months after Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop just to really drive home the similarities

I'm betting that the Cowboy Bebop live action adaptation will be even more of a trainwreck than the firefly reboot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm betting that the Cowboy Bebop live action adaptation will be even more of a trainwreck than the firefly reboot.

:same:

I second the fact that the cast made Firefly "work", as little as it did. Rebooting is a pure fool's errand. They'd be better off just making it a continuation set decades in the future and have the original characters make the occasional cameo (except for Jayne. In fact, the studio guards should have a shoot on sight order for Adam Baldwin).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

For as lovely as Adam Baldwin is, I still can't help but enjoy Jayne and John Casey from Chuck.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Probably because it might actually happen

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Cowboy Bebop is gonna be good, I trust in Cho.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm optimistic for Cowboy Bebop but that production must have been cursed. Delayed for nearly a year because Cho got badly injured and then delayed again because he got COVID. I hope he's ok now and that season 2 doesn't kill him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm optimistic for Cowboy Bebop but that production must have been cursed. Delayed for nearly a year because Cho got badly injured and then delayed again because he got COVID. I hope he's ok now and that season 2 doesn't kill him.

Has anyone been keeping track of Jess Whedon?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Has anyone been keeping track of Jess Whedon?

They don’t talk about ongoing investigations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I borrowed a friend’s Firefly box set 15 years ago and had fun watching it, but it wasn’t some kind of life affirming experience. I barely remember anything about it, but it sounds like it didn’t age well. The fandom makes me completely embarrassed to have liked it, though.

Maybe bringing the show back will be such a disappointment for people that it’ll die once and for all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

When I was in UK my housemates were very eager to show me firefly and were disappointed when I had no idea what the "Chinese" the cast were reciting

It absolutely doesn't surprise me that whedon never bothered to hire a language coach

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I know I watched Firefly years ago, but I honestly can't remember anything of it. Outside of thinking it was vastly overhyped. An opinion that hasn't exactly changed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's fine, the movie was decent, the fans are bad, Whedon is awful

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I got the DVD set of Firefly after it aired and liked it but even at the time I thought there were only three or four episodes worth rewatching. The duel, Jaynestown, and the Christina Hendricks episodes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I got the Firefly dvd set like a decade and a half-ish ago but I never got around to watching it because boy the fanbase was annoying as snot. Honestly I'm glad the fandom has died down but boy I'm not looking forward to any kind of a reboot reawakening them from their slumber.

I was a Dark Angel fan anyway and that got canceled to make room for Firefly so I'm predisposed to disliking the series anyway. :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought Firefly was kinda whatever at the time (probably because I was watching Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star around the same time) but I remembered enjoying Serenity a lot in theaters. I think it was mostly because of Chiwetel Ejiofor, though.

A Whedon-less reboot/continuation would be a pretty solid idea, though. Without him it's just a blank canvas of space western with name recognition. I'd give it a shot, especially if they pulled away from the smug snarky Whedon-isms.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Without him it's just a blank canvas of space western with name recognition.

Space westerns are hot right now thanks to the crazy success of The Mandalorian, whaddya wanna bet that was what lead to this sudden interest in reviving Firefly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Whedon really administered the killing blow to Firefly with that corny rear end theme song he wrote the lyrics to. I cringed everytime. Like he heard the theme to ST:Enterprise and thought "what if that but countrified instead of butt-rock, and even shittier?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The more I learn about Whedon, the worse all the brothel and sex-selling stuff in his latter works bothers me, and I didn’t like it to start with. That’s all going to be read as a huge confession eventually. His tv career ended with a show about plucky, heroic human traffickers and nobody was really that bothered by it at the time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I remember getting into huge ongoing arguements in TVIV when that was airing because it was so poo poo, so hypocritical, and so creepy but a lot of people wouldn't hear it.
The fact it was all broadcast-safe titillation somehow made it so much worse as well. Sex slavery, but wholesome.

With a choice between the two, they cancelled Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles to keep that poo poo on the air.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The more I learn about Whedon, the worse all the brothel and sex-selling stuff in his latter works bothers me, and I didn’t like it to start with. That’s all going to be read as a huge confession eventually. His tv career ended with a show about plucky, heroic human traffickers and nobody was really that bothered by it at the time.

At the very least, it is where the cracks started to show. I watched Dollhouse mostly so I could be up to date on a Joss Whedon show (and relate to my friends who loved all his stuff). Not being as well liked as his other efforts, even one of my friends who was a pretty big fan couldn't defend the concept.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's fine, the movie was decent, the fans are bad, Whedon is awful

If you can separate art from artist, then all you have to contend with as a viewer is the overt civil war apologism, the black and Chinese racism, and the awful sexual politics. Past all of that, yes, the show can be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The best episode of Dollhouse was dvd only and was set in the far future during the apocalypse. Why didn't they just start there instead of being about a brothel