Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Remulak posted:

Also, stop putting Bean-o in bottles that look like eye-droppers.

Beans come in cans, no reason that 'o' shaped beans shouldn't come in cans too :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Inceltown posted:

Beans come in cans, no reason that 'o' shaped beans shouldn't come in cans too :colbert:

I would buy beans that came in a squeeze bottle like ketchup but I can't think of a workable catchy name for them

squeanz and squeens are all that I can think of and both of those sound like they're probably already used for something but I refuse to google it, squeezy beans maybe?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bean Blaster

Liquid Legume

Fart Prep

Hasbean

Beanchup

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Squeans?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Legume Day

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tubeans :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
SQUART

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eat This Glob posted:

i write for a living and my primary audience is well-educated stemlord types. im not a stemlord, but my boss has been in the industry for over 30 years so he knows the subject matter inside and out. my first week there he told me to keep the language plain and don't assume anyone knows what im talking about even if you think it is common knowledge. he relayed a story where some dude said he liked a story but didn't know what NASA was, so every time I write about NASA or any other acronym I spell it out first, even poo poo like scuba. basically the inverse of artsy grad school writing

Isn't that basic Writing 101 high school knowledge though? I was taught that the first time you use an acronym in a piece of writing you always spell it out. Even for common ones. So you'd write "The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reported that blah blah blah" and then for the rest of the piece you'd just use CIA.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i think "squeezy beans" is a great name for a squeezable bean product sold in tubes

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Make it a pun on cuisine. Squeez'ean.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

World War Mammories posted:

what the gently caress, this isn't even a paradox, this is just an obvious logical consequence. economists are loving worthless

You say that yet from the first paragraph of that article:

quote:

However, governments and environmentalists generally assume that efficiency gains will lower resource consumption, ignoring the possibility of the paradox arising.

So it's pretty obvious and we just ignore it anyone despite some egghead formalizing it over 100 years ago.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This video popped up in my recommendations. It's a piece of deep investigative journalism (at least by the standards of Youtube :v:) on why McDonald's ice cream machines are seemingly always broken (and it turns out it's because the company that makes the machines profits from them being broken :capitalism:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDEtSlqJC4

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Chad Richison

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Abongination posted:

Chad Richison

is that a joke. that has to be a joke. chad richison of paycom. is everything a joke.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

is that a joke. that has to be a joke. chad richison of paycom. is everything a joke.

quote:

Chad Richison is an American entrepreneur and philanthropist who has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Paycom since its founding.

He's about as lumpy as I imagined:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Abongination posted:

Chad Richison

An awful lot of hotels, restaurants, cruise lines for a 2020 list

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hope the CEO of JP Morgan Chase is steaming mad that he made less than the loving CEO of Zynga

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Dirk Wealthington, CEO of Moneybiz

Ludwig von Goldbrik, CEO of Macrobux

Mort Affluentio, CEO of Simoleons

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eat This Glob posted:

i write for a living and my primary audience is well-educated stemlord types. im not a stemlord, but my boss has been in the industry for over 30 years so he knows the subject matter inside and out. my first week there he told me to keep the language plain and don't assume anyone knows what im talking about even if you think it is common knowledge. he relayed a story where some dude said he liked a story but didn't know what NASA was, so every time I write about NASA or any other acronym I spell it out first, even poo poo like scuba. basically the inverse of artsy grad school writing

That's just good writing.

People who toss undefined acronyms into a sentence, especially when they're not immediately obvious from context, deserve to be thrown into boiling oil.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah unless the acronym is immediately obvious define it first. I read a lot about airplanes and sometimes I get mixed up between the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board [of the USA]) and the NTSC (National Transportation Safety Committee [of Indonesia]), before you even throw in that NTSC (National Television System Committee) is also the TV standard in North America

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People who toss undefined acronyms into a sentence, especially when they're not immediately obvious from context, deserve to be thrown into boiling oil.

I've noticed that military doofuses do this a LOT. Just breakneck speed firing off acronyms that only that group understands. Incredibly frustrating to interact with.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Abongination posted:

Chad Richison

https://twitter.com/RepMaloney/status/1386124259072913408?s=20

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1386103538766450688?s=20

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

CBT is the only example you'll ever need for why it's important to define your acronyms.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The interesting thing about the CEO chart is the omissions, those that get paid on something other than just a check. It's mostly a list of CEOs who are not gonna stay long.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The virgin essential worker vs the chad ceo who makes $101,500 per hour

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

More 👏 female-driven 👏 exploitation 👏 of 👏 the 👏 underclass👏

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

*looking at a picture of the wannsee conference* sure are a lotta WHITE DUDES imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mr.Radar posted:

This video popped up in my recommendations. It's a piece of deep investigative journalism (at least by the standards of Youtube :v:) on why McDonald's ice cream machines are seemingly always broken (and it turns out it's because the company that makes the machines profits from them being broken :capitalism:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDEtSlqJC4
thanks for posting this. makes a hell of a lot more sense than "it's broken" meaning "we ran the cleaning cycle at noon for some reason"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

*looking at a picture of the wannsee conference* sure are a lotta WHITE DUDES imo

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Recently read a prepublication draft that said "students who immigrated to the United States (U.S.)..." and decided not to say anything about it to the co-author.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mycomancy posted:

I've noticed that military doofuses do this a LOT. Just breakneck speed firing off acronyms that only that group understands. Incredibly frustrating to interact with.

It wouldn't surprise me if it moves beyond just in-group shibboleths and into actual theory of mind poo poo.

"I know what this string of letters actually signifies, so of course anyone I talk to will as well."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pretty sure a lot of it is they don't remember what the initialism stands for any more either, they just remember what it represents.

like if during a brain fart you couldn't remember "Federal Bureau of Investigation" wouldn't you still know what "FBI" means?

"laser" and "scuba" are perfectly cromulent even if you don't quite remember what the acronyms are short for

stringless has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Apr 25, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

augias posted:

Recently read a prepublication draft that said "students who immigrated to the United States (U.S.)..." and decided not to say anything about it to the co-author.

Just say Mexico.

I have definitely gotten so used to acronyms that I have trouble remembering what they represent. It happens when you want use the acronym among people who also know it.

I would also do a double take on "chief executive officer of Samsung" or whatever, because CEO is the only form I see.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I've only ever seen joke articles make that exact argument, but while checking to see if I could find anything else I found this idiot medium post:

https://medium.com/@chaerinkwon/post-parasite-analysis-6d9e5049ab18

:thunk:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

*thinking real loving hard*:

But then:

:thumbsup:

e: Spoilered a little thing but I'm not sure it's that much of a spoiler really

this reads like a recent review of Homework by Daft Punk my missus found

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Abongination posted:

Chad Richison

didnt elong get like $6 billion in stock options last year. why isnt he on th elist

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

e: nm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

oh it says right there stock grants, cash, etc. theyre not counting stock compensation that isnt a straight grant for some reason

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cool list of people that deserve death for their crimes.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

mycomancy posted:

contractors are the worst and they constantly invent their own acronyms for their projects to sound critically important. poo poo like "i was working on MGUPOA with the LIPSAD group and the blue and red teams put a joint hold on it before the PSAT because the AMIDS isn't in place yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

corn haver posted:

contractors are the worst and they constantly invent their own acronyms for their projects to sound critically important. poo poo like "i was working on MGUPOA with the LIPSAD group and the blue and red teams put a joint hold on it before the PSAT because the AMIDS isn't in place yet."

It's the same with lanyard/PMC who work for ngos and the UN etc. They double tap you with acronyms and social justice language