Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I 100% buy Sonya was the original POV character and the exposition happened via her to Kano
The script flows so much better that way, she already has an underdog arc written in, and all the Cole poo poo happens in a bloated 20-30 intro that if you chop gets you down to a svelte 90 minute movie.

Release the Svejk cut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

hyperspace outlaw seems pretty dang cool so far. if you're gonna make a game about being an internet cop, busting a bunch of drawings made by first graders for copyright violation is a pretty strong start

if your brain is broken in exactly the ways goon brains are broken, you will never find a game that speaks to you more

for better or for worse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my EDC is a vape pen, cargo jorts, vibram five finger shoes, a trackball, and a gun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gtrmp posted:

Originally, the young Nier was the only main character. “I made the youthful version (the protagonist of Nier Replicant) first, during development Saito-san (producer) talked about considering overseas markets,” Taro Yokoo, Director at Cavia, explained in an interview with Inside Games. “At Square Enix’s Los Angeles studio we had a discussion, it was said having a fragile young character was not possible. So, I started preparing a macho protagonist for North America.”

also, the game mechanics are built around Nier being a kid who matures over the course of the game: bro nier can use heavier weapons in the back half of the game because he's physically grown during the timeskip, but there's no reason why burly-rear end dad nier can suddenly use those weapons now where he couldn't before. and all of the supplementary story material that was written during the game's development exclusively uses bro nier; some of that material plays directly on nier's youth and couldn't work with dad nier.

Yeah the game's a riff on Ocarina of Time so they obviously wanted the main character to be a young boy that grows into a man as the story progresses. Also it just makes more sense to have a timeskip with a young protagonist. The only thing that changed about Dad Nier was that he got a vanity eyepatch lol.

Jazerus posted:

you're right that nier being young does add something different to the story, but "forced to take the role of an adult, believes in miracles" is so painfully generic JRPG in a game that is everything but generic JRPG that i can't accept it. fortunately given the absolutely free money that a dad nier DLC would be, i think it's inevitable

the thing that sets Nier apart from generic JRPG protagonist is the way that the world around him responds to his idealism and the way that his heroic attributes become corrupted over time. This was true about Dad Nier also.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

my EDC is a vape pen, cargo jorts, vibram five finger shoes, a trackball, and a gun

Leatherman Raptor or Swiss Army Swisstool X?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Sometimes I wish there was a game that was basically the part of Yakuza 0 where you just gently caress around in a city and that was the game.

No fighting, no drama. Just shopping and mini games. Maybe a dating element if they really want to.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Sometimes I wish there was a game that was basically the part of Yakuza 0 where you just gently caress around in a city and that was the game.

have you ever considered going outside

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

smarxist posted:

Not since 2019 :*(

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't blame you, shits hosed up out there

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

smarxist posted:

Imagine being rich enough to dine out at a hundred different eateries and order whatever looks good

And also throw money in the air to get rid of anyone annoying you

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I 100% buy Sonya was the original POV character and the exposition happened via her to Kano
The script flows so much better that way, she already has an underdog arc written in, and all the Cole poo poo happens in a bloated 20-30 intro that if you chop gets you down to a svelte 90 minute movie.

it wouldn't jel with the focus on subzero as the big bad though which was a weird decision when then you make scorpion a mcguffin

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

When I was still able to actually enjoy my imagination I definitely just played "life" in Vice City a few times.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
wasteland 3 next patch is going to introduce a kennel for all your animal companions, hell yea

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

why wasn't the mk movie a tournament, tourney arcs are the best DBZ episodes anyway

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zurtilik posted:

No fighting, no drama. Just shopping and mini games. Maybe a dating element if they really want to.
I agree. The Haruka campaign of 5 is the best part of the entire series.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

smarxist posted:

mods?!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wrex Ruckus posted:

why hasn't Square Enix made a Quintet collection (Actraiser, Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)

I presume the missing fifth is Robotrek?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Lib and let die posted:

Sorry, it's The Bouncer.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

It’s weird because the Cole character is suppose to be some sort of washed of MMA fighter who only sucks because he doesn’t believe in himself like his daughter does...except he sucks the whole move and either loses every fight because he is by himself or wins because it’s 2 v 1 or better and gets magical help. Edit: There is even a part where there is a ton of setup to turn him into Scorpion and protect his family the way he couldn’t 400 years ago, but then that doesn’t happen.

Also Super Mario 3D World is simultaneously an amazing game and also insanely frustrating. The camera is terrible for the levels that require precision platforming because you can barely move it and so you barely get any depth perception (Mario’s drop shadow isn’t enough to help position yourself in the world) or you are playing multiplayer and can’t move the camera at all. I have fun playing with my family, except that the game still has lives and there is just one pool of them. So we go into a stage with 20 lives and then run out because my kid keeps falling off the stage or accidentally throws me off (it’s too easy to accidentally pick someone up and then throw them without realizing it). In some ways it feels like Odyssey 0.25. There are a few stages with cool gimmicks (like the goomba hat) that they hardly ever use. It’s like they have some great ideas they aren’t confident in so they fall back to having a lot of stages with narrow rotating platforms over bottomless pits.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Lib and let die posted:

actually throw in Actraiser 2 and you've got a Quintet quintet of all the loosely-connected god/The Master/creation games

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

It’s weird because the Cole character is suppose to be some sort of washed of MMA fighter who only sucks because he doesn’t believe in himself like his daughter does...except he sucks the whole move and either loses every fight because he is by himself or wins because it’s 2 v 1 or better and gets magical help. Edit: There is even a part where there is a ton of setup to turn him into Scorpion and protect his family the way he couldn’t 400 years ago, but then that doesn’t happen.

Also Super Mario 3D World is simultaneously an amazing game and also insanely frustrating. The camera is terrible for the levels that require precision platforming because you can barely move it and so you barely get any depth perception (Mario’s drop shadow isn’t enough to help position yourself in the world) or you are playing multiplayer and can’t move the camera at all. I have fun playing with my family, except that the game still has lives and there is just one pool of them. So we go into a stage with 20 lives and then run out because my kid keeps falling off the stage or accidentally throws me off (it’s too easy to accidentally pick someone up and then throw them without realizing it). In some ways it feels like Odyssey 0.25. There are a few stages with cool gimmicks (like the goomba hat) that they hardly ever use. It’s like they have some great ideas they aren’t confident in so they fall back to having a lot of stages with narrow rotating platforms over bottomless pits.

Interestingly enough, Bowser's Fury feels like Galaxy 1.25 so I hope you have as much fun with that one as I did. It's definitely just a little proof of concept but it's polished as hell

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in the level with the chain link fence sections that slide back and forth i accidentally jumped off the level away from the camera and died like a dozen times

also they must have increased luigi's slipperiness like 10x in this one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the cat suit is too good, it does everything

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

3d world is the only 3d mario i really like apart from 64

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
mariBLOW gimme that bandicoot booty

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Fuligin posted:

3d world is great but this is a real bad opinion, i hate it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the mid 90's kid furries who can only lust after blocky polygonal anthropomorphic cartoon animals

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imagine not liking galaxy or galaxy 2 or odyssey. hosed up.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Apr 25, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the captain toad levels in 3d world are some weak poo poo after playing through all of treasure tracker already

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

piranha plants used to be scary but now you can kill them by jumping on them. they ruined them

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
i started playing ghost of tsushima finally. this is real dope

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I don't like Galaxy much.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pobrecito posted:

i started playing ghost of tsushima finally. this is real dope

It's the best Assassin's Creed game ever made and how they made it look that loving good on a PS4 is sorcery

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I didn't care for the nu-Mortal Kombat

I did laugh very hard at Kung Lao's flawless victory though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how do you screw up a mortal kombat movie. just have some dudes put masks on and punch each other for 90 minutes

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
im a gamer god, beat the bosses for the Shura ending in like 30 minutes after not playing Sekiro for months

why is Frostpunk so hard?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Voice of Labor posted:

the mid 90's kid furries who can only lust after blocky polygonal anthropomorphic cartoon animals

jackin’ off to the british cow you give laxatives to from cbfd

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
oh hey Hand of Fate 2 is free on epic.

liked the first one so yoink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It's the best Assassin's Creed game ever made and how they made it look that loving good on a PS4 is sorcery

The real sorcery is the load times. I wish all games were so optimized.