Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

based on underlying rents

lmao

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

you dont make money by making money

you make money by making number go up

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
about 80% of the mail I get is "we want to buy your house immediately"

bought for $100k in 2010 and now it's valued over $250k lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

number

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

about 80% of the mail I get is "we want to buy your house immediately"

bought for $100k in 2010 and now it's valued over $250k lol

:waycool:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

People constantly talk about a "correction" in housing prices without ever beginning to address what that actually means or what it would look like.

Housing is treated as an investment vehicle by literally almost everyone. You're either talking about a permanent reduction in housing prices (and a reduction in housing appreciation to go along with it) or you're just talking about a temporary 2008-like blip that makes no real impact on pricing over the long-term. The former is catastrophic for a wide range of reasons at this point, and the latter won't do anything except provide an opportunity for even more investors to muscle into the market.

Try to imagine what it means for the broad stock market to go down and then stay down, and then explain why housing is different.

I think houses are getting overvalued by 10-20% on average over the last 18 months. Historically low interest rates and easy access to credit makes real estate a profitable investment, causing this buying Boom. If interest rates rise, RE becomes less profitable, investor demand cools off and the market would “correct”

That’s my dumb take on things. I think stagnant wages is responsible for low home ownership among millennials more so than investors driving prices up

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

goes

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

up!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lil poopendorfer posted:

I think houses are getting overvalued by 10-20% on average over the last 18 months. Historically low interest rates and easy access to credit makes real estate a profitable investment, causing this buying Boom. If interest rates rise, RE becomes less profitable, investor demand cools off and the market would “correct”

That’s my dumb take on things. I think stagnant wages is responsible for low home ownership among millennials more so than investors driving prices up

interest rates are never going back up again

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if they do, it will be absolutely loving HILARIOUS and destroy the economy over night because every loving bank is leveraged on this idea

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

anime was right posted:

if they do, it will be absolutely loving HILARIOUS and destroy the economy over night because every loving bank is leveraged on this idea

Nah, because the Fed has guaranteed to backstop the banks (see all policy post-Lehman being allowed to fail). POWELL!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

anime was right posted:

interest rates are never going back up again

which is hilarious because as far as I know interest rates are the only tool the fed has to stop inflation, but

anime was right posted:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

how you doing

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah, because the Fed has guaranteed to backstop the banks (see all policy post-Lehman being allowed to fail). POWELL!

which leads us to "the full faith and credit of the united states" which I guarantee you is a value less than infinity!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we're either getting the 70s or the 30s again, or just outright and brazen plutocracy. perhaps a combo of the three.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

anime was right posted:

we're either getting the 70s or the 30s again, or just outright and brazen plutocracy. perhaps a combo of the three.

implying it wasn't a plutocracy from the getgo

why is it always texas
https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1384276861241356289?s=19

https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1384277552957558784?s=19

https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1384281017528164357?s=19

https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1386378552224878595?s=19

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

the neopets style of economy

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
am I weird because poo poo like that makes me borderline violently angry?
like it kinda makes me wish i could punch people through the internet or virtually hit them over the head with a shovel (NONLETHALLY)or something

it's all just so b!tchmade to me. I'm sorry

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Apr 25, 2021

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1386198495460302856?s=19

:downs:tHe FrEe MaHkIt:downs:

the c-word for yt people

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/keep_indoors/status/1386212339460886529

It's honestly probably this.

We can all be mad at like individual interactions we have with petit bourgeoisie, but they are just allowed to exist within the system and will defend it. They aren't the monsters sitting at the top sucking the life out of everyone.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Actual dealer trade in offers are way lower than Carvana though. You saw where Carvana was offering $16k for that outback, but blue book was around $10k?

Carvana offered me $16,128 or so cash. The dealership I checked here wants to give me $16k trade in value.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Oil War and Power by Matthieu Auzanneau posted:

Energy use and complexity inevitably rise alongside efficiency: This axiom of social evolution was foreseen as early as 1865 by one of the founders of economic science. In his book The Coal Question, the Englishman Stanley Jevons observed the industry’s first steps toward efficiency and tried to draw some lessons from them. His early, penetrating analysis revealed an apparent paradox, which is in fact a fundamental consequence of technical progress: Jevons remarked that, far from diminishing, the consumption of coal increased as steam-driven machinery improved. “It is wholly a confusion of ideas to suppose that the economical use of fuel is equivalent to a diminishing consumption. The very contrary is the truth,” wrote Jevons. This paradox is now called the “rebound effect” of energy consumption. It is easily explained. When steam locomotives become less carbon-intensive, they are also able, thanks to this economy, to travel farther distances and to pull heavier trains. A more economical machine is more efficient: it can accomplish more work, and thus help to make more machines—leading to an increase, rather than a decrease in overall energy consumption. Technical progress liberates access to more energy, and this energy can meet more needs (including finding new sources of energy). More energy yields more complexity, which in turn calls for more energy, and so on: The spiral begins. Generally, people only learn how to accelerate its rotation when attempting to solve problems.

The Jevons paradox uncorks the corollary that most preoccupies the author of The Coal Question—as indicated by the book’s subtitle: An Inquiry Concerning the Progress of the Nation, and the Probable Exhaustion of Our Coal Mines. Stanley Jevons wrote: “In the increasing depth and difficulty of coal mining we shall meet that vague, but inevitable boundary that will stop our progress.” Then he issued a warning: If, due to (and not in spite of) technical progress, demand for coal was bound to increase, the day would come when Britain’s coal reserves would be depleted and would no longer satisfy demand. As we shall see, the English economist’s concerns about the future of the mines of his country proved to be fully justified.

Capable of solving innumerable problems, the energy-complexity spiral itself tends toward its own great problem, its absolute physical limit. However, the abundance of Earth’s resources long allowed us to ignore, if not dismiss, the “question” of exhaustion that Stanley Jevons raised about British coal during the dawn of the oil industry. In 1865, German physicist Rudolf Clausius gave the concept mathematical expression when describing entropy, based on the second law of thermodynamics discovered in 1824 by the engineer Sadi Carnot. That law states that during any physical phenomenon, energy irreversibly dissipates in the form of heat, passing from an exploitable ordered state to a disordered state, no longer viable for human use. Entropy refers to the amount of energy that cannot be transformed into work. Its characteristic increase over time thus measures the inevitably growing disorder of the world. Energy is the price of the cohesion of every system: The increase of the order of a system necessarily leads to an increase of the disorder of the world that surrounds it. Once dissipated by a machine, the energy is lost.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

welcome to a world called biophysical & ecological economics *whipcrack*

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And that's why humanity will end due to climate change as long as capitalism exists.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

And that's why humanity will end due to climate change as long as capitalism exists.

Inshallah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Crypto about to get funnier.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Crypto about to get funnier.

Funnier than "causing worldwide chip shortages"?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Fame Douglas posted:

Funnier than "causing worldwide chip shortages"?

Yeah rumblings that another whale is dumping and getting out.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

when does the chip shortage start affecting farm equipment and people start starving? going to have to have mobile bitcoin mining rigs on trucks to avoid rampaging starving mobs desperate for revenge

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Jel Shaker posted:

when does the chip shortage start affecting farm equipment and people start starving? going to have to have mobile bitcoin mining rigs on trucks to avoid rampaging starving mobs desperate for revenge

lol what was the farm equipment a few years ago that got bricked, so people had to download pirate software for it online to get it working again

Was it a riding lawnmower?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MorrisBae posted:

lol what was the farm equipment a few years ago that got bricked, so people had to download pirate software for it online to get it working again

Was it a riding lawnmower?

i think john deere was bricking tractors that had undergone unathourized repair

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
John Deere was the big Right to Repair fighters, yes, and is why people are buying Kiotis and Kubotas instead.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

saw some boot licker driving a truck with the license plate “J DEER” the other day and just lmao

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah rumblings that another whale is dumping and getting out.

what coin and what source?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1386437430882930688

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

PawParole posted:

what coin and what source?

lol the doge holders gettin nervous

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol the doge holders gettin nervous

my portfolio is 100% deep itm blue chip leaps. dont do crypto except to laugh at it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PawParole posted:

my portfolio is 100% deep itm blue chip leaps. dont do crypto except to laugh at it

Not even just a lil? Not even that one you bought to make a joke NFT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Not even just a lil? Not even that one you bought to make a joke NFT?

i had like 3000 dogecoin in january i bought on a whim, but i sold it a week before elon tweeted