Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unormal posted:

Its like 6-7 years old so the tail is very modest. A few hundred bucks a month.
That's modest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

That's modest?

considering he said it made several hundred thousand total...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean at least compared to Qud. We've got a half dozen people working part time on its tail right now.

It maked more in a day than sproggiwood does in a month on average atm.

Its like almost up to the level of a terrible business.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 22, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Unormal posted:

Its like 6-7 years old so the tail is very modest. A few hundred bucks a month.

It isn't like you can live off with a few hundreds $ a month. Much less a team.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Unormal posted:

Yeah I mean at least compared to Qud. We've got a half dozen people working part time on its tail right now.

It maked more in a day than sproggiwood does in a month on average atm.

If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering how the patreon for Qud was working out for you guys? It's the only video game patreon I've ever supported and I love the pet voting contests and the pet content, and by all accounts the discord is a thriving and robust community.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Unormal posted:

Would you develop roguelikes if you didn't have a terrible business sense?

Touché.

:agesilaus:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

drink_bleach posted:

Someone 500+ pages ago said the new thread title should be "Roguelikes - It's where you're @" and I think about that a lot.

This was me and I am discovering to my horror that I made that joke five years ago

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unormal posted:

man you and Jeff Vogel should get together sometime

(still amazed he manages to make a living but then I buy every single one of his games so I'm probably a statistically measurable part of the reason etc)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mode 7 posted:

This was me and I am discovering to my horror that I made that joke five years ago

Better late than never

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Would you develop roguelikes if you didn't have a terrible business sense?

Touché.

:agesilaus:

I mean, how else are you supposed to identify whether or not roguelike development is gonna do something for you except by shutting yourself in a room and trying it out?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

man you and Jeff Vogel should get together sometime

don't threaten us with a good time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Better late than never
:five:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

superh posted:

Yoooo! I barely lurk so sorry this is a few pages late, but former Deathstate dev here :) Happy to answer any questions I can remember the answer to, haha. There was a bunch of extra content I had hoped to add, but I left that studio about 3 years ago. I think the only update they made since then was releasing the Switch port that I'd finished before leaving. I think it probably runs ok!

Kinda vaguely related, it's not really a roguelike at all - more of a score-attack game, but I made a tiny Deathstate demake for the NES when I was teaching myself 6502 assembly last year:
https://softdrawers.com/2020/10/09/motherlode/

Motherlode was Deathstate's working title. The original concept was to make a game that takes place entirely within the world of this scene from the movie Beyond the Black Rainbow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3djVsLBBZ4&t=140s

beyond the black rainbow is one of my favourite movies, so this makes me like deathstate even more. i really love the world of deathstate and the aesthetics, and the gameplay is fantastic enough to back up the style. a lot of roguelike and roguelite games suffer from having either the art style far better than the gameplay, or vice versa, but deathstate is top notch in both regards. it's the rogue shooter i've spent most time on by far and i really wish it had had the success it deserved. it should be at the top of the genre with nuclear throne, i just feel like it got kinda lost in the huge flood of games on steam at the time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Better late than never

:glomp:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ultimate ADOM making solid progress through EA---latest big milestone being large strides via conquering* the great Cardinal vs Diagonal Wars...first via a corpse, but now also via shunting it into a non-high scores experimental options section alongside Permadeath and perhaps other spicy things to come while they focus down the core game experience and design.

Corruption, Hunger, gaining levels now Doing Things, etc on top of the usual sorts of racial/class/etc gains...all boding well enough~

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1266820/view/5740376573555749935

October is still roughly when things get real Real on realized plot and whatnot, but this update or most of the others on the Roadmap between now and then probably get things Real Enough---outside of those hankering hard for the overworld and subsequent Intrigues, which is still the domain of the haze of (perhaps well) beyond October.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

it's kinda funny that the diagonal mode is unscored when it's harder than non-diagonal mode. you can get attacked by more things at once in the diagonal mode

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What's the goon consensus on Trials of Fire? It looks like it combines almost every game thing I'm into these days

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

What's the goon consensus on Trials of Fire? It looks like it combines almost every game thing I'm into these days

Mostly positive, just read back in the thread a bit.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Just wanted to say thread title is top tier.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

It's great.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Chaotic Flame posted:

It's... ok. Very competently made, but the dull overworld, small pool of events, and rather similar-feeling battles bored me enough to drop it fairly quickly.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

I like it a lot. If you're familiar with this kind of games I'd recommend to start on hard right away.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
has anyone tried star renegades on switch since they allegedly fixed it? i can't find any info on whether or not it actually works now. and i've been burned twice by switch ports so i'm hesitant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Cog posted:

It's... ok. Very competently made, but the dull overworld, small pool of events, and rather similar-feeling battles bored me enough to drop it fairly quickly.

I'm on the same page as this. Don't regret playing it, will almost certainly go back to it at some point after a content dump, but right now I'd rather be playing Arcanium.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm going to end up buying Caves of Qud because of this thread aren't?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a good game so i don't particularly see that as a problem

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This thread may convince me to buy Caves of Qud, and I already own and play it.

I should start gifting it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Redundant posted:

I would think that a roguelike enthusiast reading a roguelike thread might be influenced to buy one of the best roguelikes of all time, yes

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I've unlocked a few things, Arcanium is really fun. Some of the artifacts have a nice build around quality so it's pretty satisfying to go from characters being bad to op. Having control of 3 decks also lets you experiment more than in something like slay the spire.

That said the game is definitely unfinished. After a few games it's way too easy, it's like if a run of sts was only act 1. It also desperately needs some kind of fast mode.

[e] also minions seem pretty awful unless I'm missing something. even the super rare ones have really underwhelming abilities that seem worse than just having a regular card.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2021

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Redundant posted:

Yep!! And you definitely should.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering how the patreon for Qud was working out for you guys? It's the only video game patreon I've ever supported and I love the pet voting contests and the pet content, and by all accounts the discord is a thriving and robust community.

It's awesome, and its proceeds (2k/moish atm) go to support the discord mod team primarily, and the discord is thriving!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm on the same page as this. Don't regret playing it, will almost certainly go back to it at some point after a content dump, but right now I'd rather be playing Arcanium.
Honestly, playing Trials of Fire just makes me want to get back into Card Hunter.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Redundant posted:

Caves of Qud

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Unormal posted:

It's awesome, and its proceeds (2k/moish atm) go to support the discord mod team primarily, and the discord is thriving!

That's pretty awesome. Did what's-his-face's sycophants get tired of harassing you?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

That's pretty awesome. Did what's-his-face's sycophants get tired of harassing you?

Theres still a few stragglers but they've mostly moved on. Took a surprising amount of time to do so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

What drama did I miss?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

youtube shock-jock-ish game reviewer made a video, generally enjoying it, but taking a piss to a couple things in the game as too woke, leading to months and months of dumb copycats psuedo-hate-buying it and posting dumb "just asking questions" poo poo in the steam forums and elsewhere

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
caves of

good

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Basically pages upon pages of “we just want to be able to join the nazi faction for the immersion”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

resistentialism posted:

youtube shock-jock-ish game reviewer made a video, generally enjoying it, but taking a piss to a couple things in the game as too woke, leading to months and months of dumb copycats psuedo-hate-buying it and posting dumb "just asking questions" poo poo in the steam forums and elsewhere

Unormal posted:

Theres still a few stragglers but they've mostly moved on. Took a surprising amount of time to do so.

Yuuuuck that's horrible. I'd be losing it. But real good to hear it's settling down!