Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

hazardousmouse posted:

I love how the Living Failures music sounds like an homage to Holst's Planets.

holy poo poo lol i would have never put it together. its really like mars huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hazardousmouse posted:

I love how the Living Failures music sounds like an homage to Holst's Planets.

Speaking about their music, I swear to god their huge cosmic bombardment attack is synced up to the giant crescendo in the music. They can do it outside of that, but when that happens I can guarantee it's coming.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

sigher posted:

Speaking about their music, I swear to god their huge cosmic bombardment attack is synced up to the giant crescendo in the music. They can do it outside of that, but when that happens I can guarantee it's coming.

Coolest attack in the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of coolest attacks, courtesy of the Bloodborne subreddit;

https://v.redd.it/6a9swmxcz0v61

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1385642909647659012

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
live
laugh
hoont

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In this house, we fear the old blood

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

does the old blood spark joy?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nikumatic posted:

live
laugh
hoont

Hoont
Sweet
Hoont

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

HaB posted:

Noooooo.

The correct rule is: first playthrough always blind.

Every playthrough after: with the wiki open on your phone.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HaB posted:

Noooooo.

The correct rule is: first playthrough always blind.

Every playthrough after: with the wiki open on your phone.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Ive binged out on this game for the past 2 weeks. i think the lores really great stuff. Easily the most cryptic storytelling fromsoft has done..i like to think great ones arent so bad, and humanity just opened up a giant can of worms onto itself

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheeseboy58 posted:

Ive binged out on this game for the past 2 weeks. i think the lores really great stuff. Easily the most cryptic storytelling fromsoft has done..i like to think great ones arent so bad, and humanity just opened up a giant can of worms onto itself

Oedon and Amygdala seem like pricks tbh. The others just seem to be either going on their way or trying to help.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

cheeseboy58 posted:

The game feels pretty straightforward in it’s depictions of humans as fleshy bacteria that corrupt and distort the gifts of the old ones. And if the game wasn’t as clear as it could be about that, the DLC really hammers home that we are just totally blood drunk bastards.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oedon and Amygdala seem like pricks tbh. The others just seem to be either going on their way or trying to help.

probably stealing from HPL but they are unknown and most of all unknowable. the humans only understand the most basic mechanics...eyes, things interfering with birth, blood transfusions.

none of the endings change anything for anyone except our faithful hunter and none of those matter at all

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cheeseboy58 posted:

Considering the Amygdala's are hostile, the Moon Presence enslaves hunters and the Great Ones in general use women to birth their spawn they're not all sunshine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sleekly posted:

probably stealing from HPL but they are unknown and most of all unknowable. the humans only understand the most basic mechanics...eyes, things interfering with birth, blood transfusions.

none of the endings change anything for anyone except our faithful hunter and none of those matter at all

I think the Moon Presence being destroyed would end the Hunter's Dream, seems like a pretty significant change for that world considering the hunters no longer have any sort of centralized goal or power-structure

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Counterpoint: a hunter must hunt, and a hunter is never alone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

I think the Moon Presence being destroyed would end the Hunter's Dream, seems like a pretty significant change for that world considering the hunters no longer have any sort of centralized goal or power-structure

I mean the Hunters don't seem to have any sort of real central structure or organization. Within a generation of their founding they've schismed into dozens of splinter organizations who are working at a number of cross purposes. The workshop is long abandoned in the real world and even in the dream Gherman has resorted to recruiting unsuspecting foreigners for the most recent hunt

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even the Hunters are little more than blood-crazed serial killers stalking the streets killing townsfolk, who are themselves undergoing the throes of blood madness.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But nevertheless ha ha Saw Cleaver transform attack go tch-clunk.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

oh, I can't wait... he he

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

PantsBandit posted:

Hunters existed before the dream. They'll probably go on existing even if it ends, although they won't be practically immortal anymore.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thotsky posted:

Hunters existed before the dream. They'll probably go on existing even if it ends, although they won't be practically immortal anymore.

hunters vs Hunters basically

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The job Hunter of Beasts (in the vein of the Hunter's Workshop in Yharnam) likely started with the discovery of the Pthumerian crypts (if not before, as beasts likely still existed just not in the overwhelming way they infest Yharnam). But the mystical binding contract to complete a specific night will no longer exist, or be vastly different. As only the Hunter of the Dream gets it's benefits, but all Hunters clearly have access to the bells and things.

Gascoigne can be summoned and he's definitely not a Hunter of the Dream, wherease Eileen and Djura both suggest they were.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I made the mistake of listening to the soundtrack last week and it compelled me to reinstall and play through for a fifth time. After playing sekiro, I'm a lot more willing to engage in the gun counter attack mechanic. Previous playthroughs pretty much exclusively used sprinting, strafing, and dodging. It also feels a lot easier but that may also be because I'm not playing it near blackout drunk like before.

I'm already up to cainhurst. Time to see if I can parry that old fogie

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have never not played Bloodborne completely hammered

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

verbal enema posted:

You have the eye of a blood drunk Hunter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

verbal enema posted:

Consume the pale blood (this is what they call White Claw in Yarnham)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

verbal enema posted:

I did a good bit of it this way my first two times and did not get the lore at all.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The first time I fought the 3 hunters in yahar’gul I was completely shitfaced, and managed to kill 2 and get the other one down to critical hp before he got me, no cheesing no kiting. I’ve never been able to come close to repeating this sober or otherwise

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Lol, while plastered, I one shotted the orphan of kos the first time I encountered it. I barely remembered how I did it, just that I was left gasping with a sliver of health and no more vials. Clearly an amazing fight that I'll NEVER be able to recreate

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

hazardousmouse posted:

Lol, while plastered, I one shotted the orphan of kos the first time I encountered it. I barely remembered how I did it, just that I was left gasping with a sliver of health and no more vials. Clearly an amazing fight that I'll NEVER be able to recreate

Thats why people should always use the PS4 record function

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Lord_Magmar posted:

The job Hunter of Beasts (in the vein of the Hunter's Workshop in Yharnam) likely started with the discovery of the Pthumerian crypts (if not before, as beasts likely still existed just not in the overwhelming way they infest Yharnam). But the mystical binding contract to complete a specific night will no longer exist, or be vastly different. As only the Hunter of the Dream gets it's benefits, but all Hunters clearly have access to the bells and things.

Gascoigne can be summoned and he's definitely not a Hunter of the Dream, wherease Eileen and Djura both suggest they were.

Beasts appear to be inherent to the world of Bloodborne, with foreign hunters showing beasts are not limited to this particular place, and the remains of Loran showing evidence of them stretching far back in time. I guess it's possible that organized hunting came about with Cainhurst nobles and was further codified by Gherman, but if this is so why are there foreign hunters? It seems more likely that this is just the first mention in game of what is clearly a necessary role in this world.

People seem split on whether there can be more than one dream-sustained hunter/Hunter of the Dream at any one time. Gehrman struck his deal to combat the Scourge. I guess it is possible that Gherman contracted Hunters sequentially; each either fulfilled some limited duty or failing at their ultimate duty before he released them, one way or another. However, I think it is also possible that many Hunters were contracted to start with, but have been released and died, become beasts or have disappeared into some nightmare by the time the player arrives. The few we do meet are the last, and none of them seem long for this world. Also, we already have evidence that the dream is capable of sustaining more than just one Hunter; how else would you explain Ghermans long life?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 28, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What are you still doing here? Enough chinstroking in your boots. A hunter must hunt.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo I've just used the Burial Blade for the first time and this thing is making me loving nut.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

sigher posted:

Holy poo poo I've just used the Burial Blade for the first time and this thing is making me loving nut.

It's such a beautiful weapon, both in animation and damage. Gehrman really knew what he was doing when he made it.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

sigher posted:

My Skill/parry-focused build eventually just evolved into a Burial Blade NG playthrough, it was wonderful.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's such a beautiful weapon, both in animation and damage. Gehrman really knew what he was doing when he made it.

Also really fits well with what we know of Gherman's backstory, before he became a Hunter he was the Groundskeeper at Byrgenwerth, indeed it's telling that a lot of the earlier Trick Weapons are weaponized tools like saws and axes, things Gherman would have known how to use and would have easily been able to teach to new Hunters in the early days before the craft became more sophisticated under the auspices of groups like the Powderkegs(and the Unseen Village Hunters who succeeded them), the League, and of course various Church Hunter groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting to do a full, fresh NG run with Burial Blade/Blade of Mercy as my kit was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in a video game ever, let alone Bloodborne.