Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Since I'm GMing the tabletop RPG Lancer, I was curious about 'mecha' anime that have the mechs be relatively small? Code Geass Knightmares or smaller, generally. Roughly the size of the smaller mechs in the Titanfall video games.

Bonus for politics and HORRORS OF WAR mixed in with the WOW COOL ROBOT parts. Ideally should have both HORRORS OF WAR moments as well as WOW COOL ROBOT, but the important thing here is small bots. Tall as a house.

Generically the works of Ryosuke Takahashi cover this really well, the aforementioned VOTOMS and FLAG fit best, as well as Fang of the Sun Dougram and Gasaraki cover this as well

Haven't seen it but the recent OBSOLETE covers this niche as well I'm pretty sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
One of my favourite things to do to kill time is go browse the sci-fi section of Amazon's self-published/free books and grab a selection of whatever looks vaguely interesting. As an olde who has only recently actually watched any anime stuff, I'd like to try the same here. Kindly share with me whatever science fiction-y stuff comes to mind. Explosions are fun, but political/intrigue type stuff is also good. If it takes a normal-ish idea and gets weird with it, all the better.

I have a very low bar for what I class as entertainment, as long as the underlying story is reasonably engaging. I will read and often enjoy complete trash that'd give any real critic a brain aneurysm. Show me anything!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

arsegrit posted:

One of my favourite things to do to kill time is go browse the sci-fi section of Amazon's self-published/free books and grab a selection of whatever looks vaguely interesting. As an olde who has only recently actually watched any anime stuff, I'd like to try the same here. Kindly share with me whatever science fiction-y stuff comes to mind. Explosions are fun, but political/intrigue type stuff is also good. If it takes a normal-ish idea and gets weird with it, all the better.

I have a very low bar for what I class as entertainment, as long as the underlying story is reasonably engaging. I will read and often enjoy complete trash that'd give any real critic a brain aneurysm. Show me anything!

Planetes and Monster are my go to recs always and work well for this imo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We talking spacey sci-fi or more earthbound stuff? Outside of the more popular franchises/series like Gundam, there's a few earth-bound stuff that I really liked. If you want a really good cyberpunk series I'd rec Akudama Drive, if you want a gritty sports show there's Megalobox, and if you want a detective noir show there's No Guns Life.

I'm also gonna rec SSSS.Gridman even if it's only sci-fi if you tilt your head and squint a lot, but I like it a lot so I will rec it anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

arsegrit posted:

Kaiba.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

arsegrit posted:

Kaiba as Srice mentioned would be a good pick. I'd also recommend Serial Experiments Lain.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I have a headache so I'm looking for manga. I apologize if this is not the place for it. My main requirement is that it exists somewhere digitally in high resolution with no jpg artifacts. Preferably no shounen unless it's just comedy like One Punch Man.

I have read and enjoyed:
One Punch Man
Berserk (but not more than the golden age arc)
Grand Blue (it was very funny at the start, but lost it's edge later on)
Interviews with Monster Girls
Bloom Into You

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Ibblebibble posted:

We talking spacey sci-fi or more earthbound stuff?

Either is good. I've read and equally liked books about post-apocalyptic detectives and universe-ending space fleet battles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

arsegrit posted:

Legend of the galactic heroes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

arsegrit posted:

Either is good. I've read and equally liked books about post-apocalyptic detectives and universe-ending space fleet battles.

Cyber City Oedo 808 is a cyberpunk anime about criminals who are forced into being police to work off their sentences. Each episode has a slight supernatural/horror element. Only three hour-long episodes readily available on youtube.

By the same director is Goku Midnight Eye, cyberpunk detective anime in a similar vein that's not as good but is still pretty entertaining, also readily available on youtube and retrocrush

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

arsegrit posted:

Watch Space Dandy.

It's goofy as gently caress, it doesn't give a drat about consistency, it gets wildly experimental, there are a ton of guest writers/directors, it has incredible animation, and many times it takes a fun scifi concept and goes loving WILD with it.

The humor may not be for everyone, the show doesn't really care about continuity, and it gets kinda horny at times, but I love it for its cast of utter idiots and its wild imagery.

Also featuring the best time loop episode I've ever seen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mercrom posted:

I have a headache so I'm looking for manga. I apologize if this is not the place for it. My main requirement is that it exists somewhere digitally in high resolution with no jpg artifacts. Preferably no shounen unless it's just comedy like One Punch Man.

I have read and enjoyed:
One Punch Man
Berserk (but not more than the golden age arc)
Grand Blue (it was very funny at the start, but lost it's edge later on)
Interviews with Monster Girls
Bloom Into You

right now the main manga-reading website of choice, Mangadex, has been down for almost a month after a major database breach pushed them to rebuild the entire site from the ground up. Hopefully it'll be back soon. Until then, ReadM is a decent alternative, so long as you know what you're looking for since the front page/recent updates is absolutely clogged with manwha that probably have the word "Emperor" in the title.

if you've got such a wide spectrum of potential series you'd read, here's a handful of all-stars to dig through:

Delicious In Dungeon
ERASED
you said no shonen, but Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the most widely-acclaimed manga ever and strong throughout so I'd at least give it a shot
Yotsuba&!
Ressentiment
Teppu
Yokohama Shopping Trip
Vinland Saga
Otoyomegatari
Parasyte
Dorohedoro
Kakukaku Shikajika
Battle Angel Alita
The Bride Was a Boy
March Comes in Like a Lion
Oh! My Sweet Alien

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

right now the main manga-reading website of choice, Mangadex, has been down for almost a month after a major database breach pushed them to rebuild the entire site from the ground up. Hopefully it'll be back soon. Until then, ReadM is a decent alternative, so long as you know what you're looking for since the front page/recent updates is absolutely clogged with manwha that probably have the word "Emperor" in the title.

if you've got such a wide spectrum of potential series you'd read, here's a handful of all-stars to dig through:

Thanks. I will check them out. And I don't like using manga reader sites anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arsegrit posted:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a fun kinda low-brow sci-fi comedy about an idiot who bumbles into being captain of a space battleship, though fair warning the first couple episodes have way better animation than anything in the show until the finale.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

arsegrit posted:

Kaiba and LOGH already mentioned are extremely good and essential

Some others:
Paprika
Redline
Jin-Roh
Deca Dence
Blame!
Knights of Sidonia
Shinsekai Yori / From the New World
Yukikaze
Seikaisuru Kado / KADO: The Right Answer
Ergo Proxy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Since I'm GMing the tabletop RPG Lancer, I was curious about 'mecha' anime that have the mechs be relatively small? Code Geass Knightmares or smaller, generally. Roughly the size of the smaller mechs in the Titanfall video games.

Bonus for politics and HORRORS OF WAR mixed in with the WOW COOL ROBOT parts. Ideally should have both HORRORS OF WAR moments as well as WOW COOL ROBOT, but the important thing here is small bots. Tall as a house.

Full Metal Panic! mechs are roughly the same size as the Code Geass ones. It starts off looking like a high school comedy but very quickly swerves into military war stuff. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well, I guess there's Muv-Luv?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Patlabor movies are good, but they're far from representative of what's good about the other Patlabor material.

For science fiction, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is such an obvious recommendation that there's a joke about it in the thread title.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Patlabor movies are good, but they're far from representative of what's good about the other Patlabor material.

For science fiction, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is such an obvious recommendation that there's a joke about it in the thread title.

The seven-episode OVA's a good little vignette of Patlabor as a whole for someone looking to get into the franchise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Full Metal Panic! mechs are roughly the same size as the Code Geass ones. It starts off looking like a high school comedy but very quickly swerves into military war stuff. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

FMP mechs are like, twice the size of CG ones.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

bewilderment posted:

It's outside the central premise of what you're looking for, because Robot Big, but Dai-Guard has the giant robo actually be a big , slow, lumbering thing that obeys the laws of physics and needs to be a support team to deconstruct it and cart it around on trucks to get anywhere. Also a lot of the horrors of war capitalism.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Droyer posted:

FMP mechs are like, twice the size of CG ones.

Yeah, in the books they're smaller but they upsized them for the anime to look cool. Still, they're interesting in how they're portrayed closer to modern mechanized infantry, so if that's your thing it's worth checking out. The tech that shows up as a result of the plot does change the game but it's still pretty grounded with the real world stuff. They treat the physics bending as the terrifying thing it is which makes the battles more interesting compared to Code Geass where everyone gets the overpowered mechs and the fights just aren't as fun to watch any more.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch the movie if you haven't yet. (Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girls)

Just make sure you've got a couple hours free afterwards to process.

Watched the series and this movie over the weekend. Movie's ending felt a little weak but was pretty enjoyable overall. Thanks for posting the rec!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Anime goons, please help me prove my friends wrong.

My friends really want me to get into anime. The issue is that everything they've had me watch hasn't clicked with me. They think I'm just being stubborn and am "too proud" to admit that I like what they've shown me so far because it's anime. I want to prove to them that I don't dislike it as a genre, I just haven't found one that clicks with me yet.

There's also a recency bias issue where it seems they're recommending stuff they recently watched more than stuff that I'd actually like. I also want to be clear that I'm really trying to like what they recommend to me, and anime more largely. I apologize if this doesn't come across this way.

Anime I've watched a significant amount of
  • Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood-I watched the entire series a few years ago with a friend. My feelings were that this had some individually strong episodes but the show as a whole was not all that compelling to me.
  • Cowboy Bebop-I mean the music is good obviously, but nothing else grabbed me. I gave up after 5-6 episodes.
  • Attack on Titan-I think I watched the entire first season or so? I remember finding the lore and worldbuilding interesting, but not liking the characters all that much.
Shows that my friends had me watch that I bounced off of
  • Psycho Pass-I couldn't handle the fact that the first episode was almost entirely exposition.
  • Samurai Champloo-Sort of had the same issues with it as Cowboy Bebop. It just felt like all style no substance to me.
  • Death Note-Just wasn't my cup of tea at all.
  • Blood of Zeus-I love Greek mythology but couldn't get into this for some reason. I suppose there was just too much fighting.
  • Some sort of mech thing that I don't remember the name of. I don't find mechs interesting.
Anime-adjacent media that I really like
  • Nier: Automata (I love big weird complicated worlds filled with interesting characters that I just wanna learn more about)
  • Final Fantasy XIV (and all the FF series really)
  • Persona 5
  • The Last Airbender and Korra
  • Studio Ghibli (but who doesn't?)
I don't tend to like media that has a ton of long drawn out combat sequences. I also don't like a ton of exposition.

I like character-driven stories--like I totally love a good bottle episode. I love to see characters grow and change more than I care about the exact details of how they're going to collect the 7 magic gems and save the world or whatever. I also like weird, cerebral, or off-putting stories/themes as long as they aren't too violent or gross.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rosalind posted:

I like character-driven stories--like I totally love a good bottle episode. I love to see characters grow and change more than I care about the exact details of how they're going to collect the 7 magic gems and save the world or whatever. I also like weird, cerebral, or off-putting stories/themes as long as they aren't too violent or gross.

Maybe Death Parade? Very episodic show about the recently departed being pitted against each other in bar games where the victor gets reincarnated and the loser goes to hell. A lot of episode-specific character arcs for the competitors, with some longer-term development of the staff.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Rosalind posted:

Oh boy, me too!

I would say try:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 25 episodes - Partially the life story of a Rakugo theatre performer from pre-war Japan into the '70s, and partly the story of his ex-con, ex-yakuza apprentice and the other people in his life. Very character-driven drama with great writing and a fantastic voice cast performance.

March Comes in like a Lion (aka "3-gatsu no Lion") - 44 episodes, likely to get more someday - A young professional Shogi player with a great deal of tragedy in his past finds new family, friends, and meaning in life. While there are Shogi matches in the show, it focuses much more on the characters than the game.

Mushishi - 46 episodes and a film - This show is entirely episodic. It follows a traveling exorcist/doctor around old-timey Japan as he tries to help people deal with "mushi" - supernatural lifeforms that are invisible to most people. Sometimes happy, sometimes soul-crushing, always ethereally beautiful and atmospheric.

Serial Experiments Lain - 13 episodes - A late-90's cyberpunk / psychological horror cult classic. Very mindfuckey, very unique in its directorial style and setting.

Kyousougiga - 10 episodes - A surreal supernatural acid trip that's also a wholesome family drama.

edit: vvvv Monster is excellent too!

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 4, 2021

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Monster (Naoki Urasawa) is pretty long, at 74 episodes, but I think it would probably be worth a shot.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Did someone say SSSS.Gridman?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tatami Galaxy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Eccentric Family maybe as well, plus it's easily accessible on crunchyroll; it's very centered on a family coming to terms with the death of their father (and also they're tanuki shapeshifters and there's a rivalry going on with another family for who will be the next tanuki leader and they're in peril of being hunted by humans and turned into stew). It's got a lot of different stuff going on from episode to episode but the core of it is this family learning the truth about what happened to their father and processing their grief. Plus it's not super long so not a big time commitment. (It also has a 2nd season but I haven't watched it yet so idk how it matches up).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rosalind posted:

[*]Studio Ghibli (but who doesn't?)
[/list]
Mushishi is a series about a guy that wanders around dealing with weird spirits called mushi. it's very episodic and a lot of the story telling is focused on characters or situations of the week, but there's a lot of stuff left unsaid and there's a lot of time spent just soaking in the atmosphere. it's also important to note 'dealing with' usually means 'resolving the conflict' or 'figuring out why the mushi are there,' there's not any fighting in the series or anything, mushi are small and ethereal, not any kind of monsters. It's an interesting series with a laidback but also mysterious tone, and the setting itself is pretty neat.

Rosalind posted:

[*]Nier: Automata (I love big weird complicated worlds filled with interesting characters that I just wanna learn more about)
Haibane Renmei is an artsy, sort of weird series about a girl waking up in a strange, walled off town where only a single group or people can leave or exit, and her experiences with the other haibane - girls who have strange halos and angel wings. It deals a lot with death, sin, and loss, and the mystery of the setting and the characters is what drives most of the plot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guardian of the Spirit sounds like it might be up your alley.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Rosalind posted:

[*]Nier: Automata (I love big weird complicated worlds filled with interesting characters that I just wanna learn more about)
[*]Final Fantasy XIV (and all the FF series really)

You might really like Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)

A civilization of genderless, un-aging beings called Gems must defend their home from the mysterious smoke-like beings from the moon, the Lunarians. What is the deal with Master Adamant, the zen monk who is leader of the Gems? Can Phosphophyllite, a childish gem who is prone to shattering, find a way to be of use, or will the others keep looking down on them?

the anime is only 12 episodes long. the manga is much longer and has almost wrapped up now.

edit: also, maaaaybe Dorohedoro? It's very weird and off-putting, but the characters are 100000% delightful, and the worldbuilding is really interesting. It is quite violent though.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Monster (Naoki Urasawa) is pretty long, at 74 episodes, but I think it would probably be worth a shot.

Given the length and context, it's probably worth noting that Monster's run is a cohesive 74 episodes, it's not like say Bleach or Naruto where it's just stacking arcs on as it goes along.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's worth giving Baccano a try imo, it's loads of fun and doesn't have the problems you seem not to like. It's very character driven and is an absolute ride from start to finish. You'll know whether you like it or not very quickly, and it's not really long.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You just might not like anime if dumb cliches, bad writing and poor pacing are sticking points for you, as the medium is rife with that sort of stuff; even the "best" shows tend to drag in one way or another.

It could also be that the kind of stuff your friends like and what suits your personal tastes just don't go together at all. A friend of mine loves anime but suffers his SO's nightly ritual of watching Inuyasha and Yashahime together. According to him it's no big deal, but the two find satisfaction in different areas of the anime space.

So don't feel bad if you bounce off; anime's big, weird, fraught, and multifaceted. Everyone making recommendations in this thread have probably been watching anime for 10-20+ years, not many of us are in a position to know what would appeal to someone who's only dipped their toes.

Can't be any worse than what your friends are suggesting, though! ;)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh bad pacing and cliches aren't going to be a problem you can just assume will be there if you're not watching something that's like 50+ eps long or made for literal children

which, describes fma and aot, lol

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Appoda posted:

You just might not like prestige television if dumb cliches, bad writing and poor pacing are sticking points for you, as the medium is rife with that sort of stuff; even the "best" shows tend to drag in one way or another.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Appoda posted:

You just might not like anime if dumb cliches, bad writing and poor pacing are sticking points for you, as the medium is rife with that sort of stuff; even the "best" shows tend to drag in one way or another.

It could also be that the kind of stuff your friends like and what suits your personal tastes just don't go together at all. A friend of mine loves anime but suffers his SO's nightly ritual of watching Inuyasha and Yashahime together. According to him it's no big deal, but the two find satisfaction in different areas of the anime space.

So don't feel bad if you bounce off; anime's big, weird, fraught, and multifaceted. Everyone making recommendations in this thread have probably been watching anime for 10-20+ years, not many of us are in a position to know what would appeal to someone who's only dipped their toes.

Can't be any worse than what your friends are suggesting, though! ;)
i think anime is good, actually, hence why i post in a forum about it. weird that you post in a forum about anime when you apparently think its all terrible.

edit: also when someone loves japanese video games that are very anime-flavored and a western cartoon that is a blatant homage to anime im pretty sure theyre capable of liking an anime, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Appoda posted:

There's tons of great anime that don't have dumb cliches, or bad writing, or poor pacing.

None of them are long-running shounen or seinen action series or trashy isekai harems though, so if that's all someone is exposed to then it starts to seem like an "all anime" problem to them. It's like watching 100 episodes of "That's So Raven" and making conclusions about American Television, without ever knowing that shows like The Wire exist.