Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The term “stadia content creator” gives me chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gutcruncher posted:

The term “stadia content creator” gives me chills.

Someone has to create content for it, because Google isn't doing it anymore. :v:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I suspect they mean "content creator" in the "I stream Stadia" sense.

They can't really call themselves an influencer if no one is paying any attention.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Zushio posted:

I suspect they mean "content creator" in the "I stream Stadia" sense.

Hence the chills I feel

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Eh I don't know, it's loving stupid but it's mostly wasting bandwidth which is pretty infinite despite what consumer ISPs pretend. Like if you play locally or with Stadia something has to render the game, and on both if you're playing something super low-tier like Terraria it'll use way less power.

This has come up before, but even something like streaming music is really energy inefficient. You have to have multiple computers doing the work of one. Add in the energy to convert it into a video signal, send that signal over the internet, and decode that signal, that can add up over a long period of time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Why do people feel the need to hate on Stadia posted:

I feel like I want to vent here for a moment. I’m a gamer. I’ve been gaming for a long time. When Stadia was first announced, I didn’t understand it. My thoughts were “why would I want to pay full price for a game that I won’t physically own and I have to play connected to Wi-Fi?” Then Google sent me a Chromecast Ultra and a controller. You know what I did then? I gave it a chance. 71 owned games later and now I am a believer in Cloud Gaming. I believe so much that I also have Luna and Xbox Gamepass. I just wish that people would stop living with what they know and just give Cloud Gaming a chance. If you love Stadia, show it to someone that’s a none believer. They may not want to accept it but this is one aspect of gaming that will be way more prevalent in the near future. What do you all think. Do you think that Cloud Gaming is here to stay???

quote:

Console Wars fanboy mentality + immature mentality + "I can't hack those games" + "I'm easily influenced by internet memes" + "I don't do my own research" + "It's not fair that I paid $3000 for a PC and you can play high quality Cyberpunk on your toaster"

Your story is very similar to many that I've heard on this subreddit. People think "Google Graveyard" (which is meme'd out bullshit when applied to Stadia) or "mega corporation Google = bad, but mega corporation Microsoft/Sony/Nvidia/Amazon = good". But then, they try Stadia and are immediately impressed and convinced.

It's possible I'm wrong, but I still think of Stadia as being in beta mode. I know they're going to intergrate it into Chromecast with Google TV, smart TVs, and other devices where more people will be like "what's this, oh poo poo brand new AAA game plays this well with $0 in new hardware??". I'm also sure that at some point, Google with intergrate in the Play Store and people browsing Android apps will be like "what's this, oh poo poo brand new AAA game plays this well on my phone??". I get that there's frustration that Google isn't pushing marketing and the potential outreach to introduce Stadia to more people, but I think they're waiting to optimize the platform before every other advertisment on YouTube is for Stadia.

I just can't wait to take a day off work a year or two from now to post all of the Stadia hate threads into r/agedlikemilk.

quote:

Insecurity I guess.Let us say you are a FIFA gamer and you almost exclusively play fifa (you'd be shocked how many people are one title only gamers)

If you had paid 500€ on a PlayStation, then another 9€ a month subscription for the privilage of playing Fifa online and someone comes and says ummm you could have had all of that for free with Stadia then that person will be projecting their insecurity in the form of the hate towards Stadia.He wishes that there would be Stadia so that his expenses would be justified.

That is pretty much it in my opinion

quote:

quote:

Some people are nervous of a gaming future where they are not fully in control of what they buy. If Google shuts down stadia tomorrow, all your games will disappear and this is a worry for a lot of gamers. Some gamers take that to an extreme level though by saying Google is trying to kill gaming as a result and they hope it fails. I don't believe Stadia is trying to take over from traditional consoles, merely it's another option for people and a new way to play in parallel with consoles. There's no convincing some people so I've given up trying. The same people will probably say xcloud is amazing but their argument is backed up by being able to store the games locally on their console.

The same applies to all digital purchases with drm.

It happens for years, if Steam shuts down what are you going to do with the drm protected files?

Trying to find cracks for the games you have bought?

Honestly I believe they just try to find excuses to hate.

You can't have this argument when you buy from Steam or Epic, only a GOG user can have this argument and most of all these haters barely use GOG.

Sometimes I believe that most of these haters are game pirates.

Their problem with services like Stadia is that it kills piracy lol, if cloud gaming prevails game piracy is over if publishers release only on the cloud.

Some people are nervous of a gaming future where they are not fully in control of what they can pirate.....

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Less Fat Luke posted:

Eh I don't know, it's loving stupid but it's mostly wasting bandwidth which is pretty infinite despite what consumer ISPs pretend. Like if you play locally or with Stadia something has to render the game, and on both if you're playing something super low-tier like Terraria it'll use way less power.

Most studies done have shown it to be less efficient than basically anything but super high tier PCs. Consoles are way, way, way more energy efficient than Stadia. I'm too lazy to Google them again and link them, but they're not that hard to find.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually, I see the possibility of losing my games forever if Stadia dies as an upside. It allows me to cherish each individual moment even more, something PC & console gamers using physical media could never comprehend.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

leftist heap posted:

Most studies done have shown it to be less efficient than basically anything but super high tier PCs. Consoles are way, way, way more energy efficient than Stadia. I'm too lazy to Google them again and link them, but they're not that hard to find.
Yeah fair enough, I already hate Stadia for all the other reasons so I don't need a lot of convincing here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cemetry Gator posted:

This has come up before, but even something like streaming music is really energy inefficient. You have to have multiple computers doing the work of one. Add in the energy to convert it into a video signal, send that signal over the internet, and decode that signal, that can add up over a long period of time.

Isn’t streaming music just a bunch of temporary downloads? I know my Spotify can keep playing in dead zones for a while when I’m driving as long as it keeps to the same playlist. I basically have to choose what I’m listening to before I hit the Taconic but I don’t lose my music in that ~45 minutes or so.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I mean that’s all streaming ever, it’s caching data

Except for Stadia :blastu:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t streaming music just a bunch of temporary downloads? I know my Spotify can keep playing in dead zones for a while when I’m driving as long as it keeps to the same playlist. I basically have to choose what I’m listening to before I hit the Taconic but I don’t lose my music in that ~45 minutes or so.
I think the losses are in the energy it takes to send it over a longer distance / as a radio wave / etc vs storage medium straight to a codec chip.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Spotify caches more than just about anything else because it dramatically reduces their bandwidth overheads. Video is basically never cached by any service any more (not even in a browser) because the data size vs the chance you actually hit the cache is such a poor ROI.

I know when Spotify was new and still supplementing their network with P2P traffic part of their value statement to investors was that they only served ~8-10% of all the data the network needed themselves. The rest came from caching and P2P, with caching still being used today as it was overwhelmingly the biggest data saver.

Spotify might be much less efficient than locally playing your own MP3s, but it's only a lot because of large numbers. Both are very insignificant per stream/user. Game streaming is hard the other way. It's literally the worst. Bitrates are very high, the encoding is only good for one single use and no part of it can sit on an ISP's CDN or such for local delivery.
One stadia user would easily consume the power of ~1500 Spotify users just for bandwidth alone, and that's the cheapest part of the equation. Trying to guess how much more power it takes to encode a one-use 4k stream vs a infinite-reuses audio file is just an exercise in how many orders of magnitude you want to throw into your assumption.
If a stadia blade was a Spotify server it would be serving thousands of customers.

Ironically Google released rough figures on how Spotify's server blades worked in 2016 as a case study on how their cloud services could make things more efficient, so we know each Spotify server blade serves something in the region of 20k customers.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Spotify caches more than just about anything else because it dramatically reduces their bandwidth overheads. Video is basically never cached by any service any more (not even in a browser) because the data size vs the chance you actually hit the cache is such a poor ROI.

I know when Spotify was new and still supplementing their network with P2P traffic part of their value statement to investors was that they only served ~8-10% of all the data the network needed themselves. The rest came from caching and P2P, with caching still being used today as it was overwhelmingly the biggest data saver.

Spotify might be much less efficient than locally playing your own MP3s, but it's only a lot because of large numbers. Both are very insignificant per stream/user. Game streaming is hard the other way. It's literally the worst. Bitrates are very high, the encoding is only good for one single use and no part of it can sit on an ISP's CDN or such for local delivery.
One stadia user would easily consume the power of ~1500 Spotify users just for bandwidth alone, and that's the cheapest part of the equation. Trying to guess how much more power it takes to encode a one-use 4k stream vs a infinite-reuses audio file is just an exercise in how many orders of magnitude you want to throw into your assumption.
If a stadia blade was a Spotify server it would be serving thousands of customers.

Ironically Google released rough figures on how Spotify's server blades worked in 2016 as a case study on how their cloud services could make things more efficient, so we know each Spotify server blade serves something in the region of 20k customers.

Sounds to me like a single Spotify blade server could serve most of the entire Stadia fanbase for the purpose of music streaming to their little hideout in the attics or whatever.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's all the infrastructure that makes it possible. When you play an mp3 off your phone, you're just decoding that data and making noise through a speaker. Now that streaming music is common, your phone is still doing that same decoding work, but it's also having to regularly request data over the mobile network, you need a mobile network with enough power and capacity to support this increased demand for data, you need to have networks of servers available at all times to serve those needs. It seems minor, but as streaming music becomes more and more common, this multiplying effect just means that more and more energy is used to listen to music. At least streaming music gives you a massive advantage over old formats - you can select from an enormous library in an instant with no extra cost to yourself.

Stadia is the same, but as described the low latency video encode/decode adds even more overhead to the existing act of playing a game. Stadia doesn't even offer the same advantage that streaming music does - you're stuck with a tiny, expensive library. I've seen people praise Stadia because of minimalism, which is only true if you define minimalism as 'can't see any wires coming out of my TV' rather than 'I'm using masses more equipment and infrastructure to perform this activity'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

keithy george posted:

It's all the infrastructure that makes it possible. When you play an mp3 off your phone, you're just decoding that data and making noise through a speaker. Now that streaming music is common, your phone is still doing that same decoding work, but it's also having to regularly request data over the mobile network, you need a mobile network with enough power and capacity to support this increased demand for data, you need to have networks of servers available at all times to serve those needs. It seems minor, but as streaming music becomes more and more common, this multiplying effect just means that more and more energy is used to listen to music. At least streaming music gives you a massive advantage over old formats - you can select from an enormous library in an instant with no extra cost to yourself.

Stadia is the same, but as described the low latency video encode/decode adds even more overhead to the existing act of playing a game. Stadia doesn't even offer the same advantage that streaming music does - you're stuck with a tiny, expensive library. I've seen people praise Stadia because of minimalism, which is only true if you define minimalism as 'can't see any wires coming out of my TV' rather than 'I'm using masses more equipment and infrastructure to perform this activity'.

You're missing a step; Streamed music being a download in reality means your usage is actually pretty infrequent and in small bursts (say, the song you're on and maybe a few ahead in a playlist just in case). Streamed gaming is where it's full-power bandwidth and power usage 100% of time

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

How Much Have You Spent On Stadia So Far and How Long HAve You Been Using It?? posted:

Just wondering, how much have you spent on Stadia so far and how long have you been using the platform? I will start

I have been using Stadia for almost two months now and have spent 150 dollars on games. Not including the premiere bundle which I got for sale.

quote:

Just added it all up. I have been pro since 11/2019 and I own 29 games. I have spent $1,090 between 2 premiere packs, purchases, and pro. Worth every penny.

quote:

I have had Stadia since launch and a proud owner of the founders edition controller. Been subscribing to pro the whole time. That gave me 76 pro games and I have bought 17 games. I also bought another founders controller used.

My costs: (prices converted from SEK(Sweden))

Founders edition: 138€

Used founders edition: 50€

PRO subscription: 127€

Games: 420€

Total: 825€

quote:

Around 900€, way more than I expected to be honest.

I started using stadia in April 2020 and already bought around 50 games on the platform, plus 7 months of (paid) pro membership and a used founders edition I bought a while back. This also includes the RE8 pre-order, which isn't paid yet.

Thinking about it, it's totally worth it, because without stadia I would have probably bought a new gaming laptop this year, which would have been at least that expensive, without including any games.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Clearly that's a thread by a desperate employee trying to justify the value of keeping him at his job.

"S-s-see here boss, an average consumer spends over 500 bucks on our service, that's a lot of money. Please reconsider cutting down our team"

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
:lol: at spending $400 on stadia console service, instead of just buying a console if you spend $420 a year on games.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Mirificus posted:

“I would like to share my impressions of google stadia. This is the best thing in my life!“ posted:

From a while back but goddamn if that isn‘t the saddest sentence I have read in this thread.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just imagine the mindset of those posters.

You are in a phase where you want to play games but don't have the time to invest into a console or decent pc, but no way are you touching a Switch because you want real games, manly games....

You also don't want to spend a lot and you think that consoles change every few years or upgrades are released and it all sounds expensive...

You don't want a console because you want to play M&KB, but you want to play wherever, even if M&KB isn't ideal or possible...

Along comes Stadia and all you have to do is trick yourself into thinking that there's nothing wrong or that any problems will be instantly fixed because it's Google and Google don't let problems persist. Google will definitely keep with Stadia forever, they aren't going to release a new version and tell you to upgrade. Think of all the money you save, and why not stay subscribed to Pro, you are getting all these *Free experiences...

Suddenly it becomes clear why Stadians #StadiaDads exist, they don't want to think about dealing with different or scary ideas or picking a new console for themselves, they just want someone to do it for them, so they can hide from their monstrous wives and kids and just play something, even if it's for an hour on the toilet.

So I'm saying these people were broken long before Stadia came along.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

how mad are all these people going to be when stadia gets abandoned. I mean it kind of is.. the latest Chromecast doesn't support it (I know i'm playing into the Normie anti-stadia deep state embeded console war media hype). like I see google maybe abandoning stadia as a "going forward" project in the next 2-5 years. But keeping it around on limp mode for 10 years where it'll be half assed supported but the hardware wont' be available. You can only play on chrome.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Love the juxtaposition between claiming Stadia is free and bragging about spending over a $1000 a year on a dead platform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tater_salad posted:

how mad are all these people going to be when stadia gets abandoned. I mean it kind of is.. the latest Chromecast doesn't support it (I know i'm playing into the Normie anti-stadia deep state embeded console war media hype). like I see google maybe abandoning stadia as a "going forward" project in the next 2-5 years. But keeping it around on limp mode for 10 years where it'll be half assed supported but the hardware wont' be available. You can only play on chrome.

I'd give it a year or two at most; They flat can't compete with Sony or Xbox because the hardware's not only outdated performance-wise, but lacks the new RAM they do so nobody's going to bother porting anything AAA to it. Especially as PC's utilizing it likely won't be far behind within a year or two.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Edit: ^^ Realistically I give it 2.. but I said 2-5 to appease Hostile.

Flayer posted:

Love the juxtaposition between claiming Stadia is free and bragging about spending over a $1000 a year on a dead platform.

That's lamestream media talking.. I CAN spend 1000 a year becuase it's free! All you complaining about game prices are idiots. IF I pay 10.00 (or 13 or whatever it costs, can't be much more than a banana or two) a month I get free games.. plus I get the privilege of buying games for a discount that I could get at any other games marketplace. So everyone saying the games cost too much on stadia are just haters. Enjoy gaming on a PC you can't even get a GPU for stupid sheeple.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

tater_salad posted:

How is this even possible? :psyduck: Can somebody explain this? Bear in mind all I know about chromecast is that it is weird puck with google printed on it that I got for free with projector and never unpacked the thing. Is there some special hardware needed for stadia? Isn't it just a bit of extra code that runs alongside video decompression or whatever the gently caress chromecast is doing?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

commando in tophat posted:

:lol: at spending $400 on stadia console service, instead of just buying a console if you spend $420 a year on games.

You could buy an Xbox Series S or X with the Microsoft instalment plan, which gets you the console + Game Pass, meaning you'd get a console and 100+ really actually GOOD games, and GOOD GAMES you can also stream to your phone with the same subscription deal. I'm pretty sure the Xbox Series S package would be less money than 400 bucks, and even the Series X would be a lot less expensive than these "I spent 900 bucks on games I don't own) deals.

But of course that would get you a good gaming experience.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

How is this even possible? :psyduck: Can somebody explain this? Bear in mind all I know about chromecast is that it is weird puck with google printed on it that I got for free with projector and never unpacked the thing. Is there some special hardware needed for stadia? Isn't it just a bit of extra code that runs alongside video decompression or whatever the gently caress chromecast is doing?

I think they're talking about the new chromecast that has a user interface called Google TV. Most chromecasts just allow you to find your content on your phone or device and then stream it to the chromecast/tv. This new one you don't need a second device. It's like a smart tv/roku/amazon fire. I have one and tried to get stadia on it and since it's basically android you can sideload some apps for managing files on the device and with a bit too much work you could get it working. I used it once and never tried it again.

But it doesn't work out of the box because the Stadia team didn't build a native app for the user interface and that's what is so dumbfounding.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

beerinator posted:

I think they're talking about the new chromecast that has a user interface called Google TV. Most chromecasts just allow you to find your content on your phone or device and then stream it to the chromecast/tv. This new one you don't need a second device. It's like a smart tv/roku/amazon fire. I have one and tried to get stadia on it and since it's basically android you can sideload some apps for managing files on the device and with a bit too much work you could get it working. I used it once and never tried it again.

But it doesn't work out of the box because the Stadia team didn't build a native app for the user interface and that's what is so dumbfounding.

Yes it's this. The old Chromecast Ultra puck (the one that sometimes overheats with Stadia), is the only supported chromecast currently if you want to use stadia on your TV (unless you hook up laptop to tv or something). So Google (the company that makes Stadia) released a next generation of a device (made by google) that stadia was supported on, but neglected to have stadia supported on it. So you're stuck on a last-gen version of Chromecast if you want to use stadia, or sideload it by doing a bunch of bullshit. Now somewhere on reddit the stadia folks will say this is a good thing because....

edit: also THIS IS NOT A REASON TO SAY GOOGLE IS ALREDY ABANDONING STADIA :tif:

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 26, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

beerinator posted:

Thanks, this is somehow dumber than I expected

tater_salad posted:

edit: also THIS IS NOT A REASON TO SAY GOOGLE IS ALREDY ABANDONING STADIA :tif:

It seems even stadia is abandoning stadia if they don't support their own (=google) hardware

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
How does stadia fair with more competitive online games, a lot of my buddies are super into CoD and are always tweaking settings and stuff to get an edge. Is it more for party or family type games?

edit I just asked the stupidest question ever didn't I.

Shuka fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 26, 2021

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It fairs poorly at everything for multiplayer, especially player counts. Just look at Destiny 2's or Samurai Shodown's playerbases on Stadia. Was it Mortal Kombat where matchmaking was basically impossible?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Shuka posted:

How does stadia fair with more competitive online games, a lot of my buddies are super into CoD and are always tweaking settings and stuff to get an edge. Is it more for party or family type games?

I'm sure Stadia is perfectly usable for members of the competitive Monopoly scene.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shuka posted:

there are lots of multiplayer games* that you can play on stadia and be competitive with* !

*the majority don't support cross-play, then ones that do you will NOT be competitive with because of latency issues with the nature of clown gaming. (yes even with negative latency)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Streaming for competitive online depends a lot on what level you're playing on, like you're not going to do anything eSports tier but with a good connection it can be pretty solid, and GFN even has a 120fps mode for Fortnite and possibly other titles. The bigger issue, mainly for Stadia's case, is the player base, as mentioned, because nobody plays on Stadia, especially multiplayer titles.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How many players on average does Destiny 2 have these days?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Thanks, this is somehow dumber than I expected

It seems even stadia is abandoning stadia if they don't support their own (=google) hardware

No actually it just means that they’re making it so getting Stadia to function is a game in and of itself. The challenge is its own reward

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

univbee posted:

Streaming for competitive online depends a lot on what level you're playing on, like you're not going to do anything eSports tier but with a good connection it can be pretty solid, and GFN even has a 120fps mode for Fortnite and possibly other titles. The bigger issue, mainly for Stadia's case, is the player base, as mentioned, because nobody plays on Stadia, especially multiplayer titles.

That makes sense, a lot of my friends have xbox and even with the gamepass for PC plenty of titles are not crossplay. And some of my buddies hate survival/crafting games on controllers hah.

I'm one of those guys that plays on lowest settings so I can do better in PvP stuff.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lodin posted:

How many players on average does Destiny 2 have these days?

Stadia

General pop

Stadia remains a rounding error on the platform it's most likely to have a high population relative to other platforms (given less competition for games, the D2 promotions / free access).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly, 6,000 people on Destiny 2 on Stadia is pretty good. Way better than I expected.