Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All the gunner armors are also super slutty with giant cat heads so if you’re into fashion gunner is the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Boba Pearl posted:

It should be pointed out that most of the "mandatory" gear is if you're bad, if you can avoid carting, and do decent clears you absolutely do not need any skill, even in the guns.

e: That being said, gearing up for guns is brain dead, because 99% of the skills are useless on guns, so you might as well do rapid up / spread up / pierce up or whatever, because what would you even wear at that point?

I made Pierce up pieces for my Narga lbg last night and I really wish I had an option that wasn’t the Rhenoplos head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Shot types in a nutshell:

Normal/Rapid - Mediocre for bowguns, amazing for bows.
Spread - Your bow/bowgun is now a shotgun. Get in close and start blasting. Great for bowguns, lovely for bows (the spread is much, much worse for bows).
Pierce - Best against large monsters, the shot will go straight through the monster inflicting multiple hits so try to aim along the length of the monster.
Shrapnel - Sucks.

Shrapnel seems weak but this rapid fire shrapnel 2 gun seems good; is it not worth it even then?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I made Pierce up pieces for my Narga lbg last night and I really wish I had an option that wasn’t the Rhenoplos head.

:wrong: cat head owns

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Shrapnel seems weak but this rapid fire shrapnel 2 gun seems good; is it not worth it even then?

The main pros of Shrapnel are that it is hitscan and that it affects multiple monsters in a cone. Its only niches are small monster hunting, and Counter Signal shenanigans during Rampages.

I haven't done extensive testing on it, but nevertheless I haven't seen anyone making it their workhorse ammo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guess I don't need to grind that boar's head after all lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
rate my guild card photo

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

rate my guild card photo

Very gnarlycuga.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Guess I don't need to grind that boar's head after all lol

If you are still deadset on getting the thoughtless, laid-back full-auto experience, you can make a Wyvernheart HBG. Just slap Special Ammo Boost, some Focus, and as many general damage-increasing skills as you can. Then go for a joyride on an expedition and pump some faces full of lead :clint:

You can even get away with not having a dedicated set if the weapon is far down enough the weapon tree and the monsters are Low Rank

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

rate my guild card photo

pawsome

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Thank you all for the info about ranged weapons! I’m going to give them a go!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Your Computer posted:

rate my guild card photo

purrfection

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it seems weird to me that they won't let you change your hunter's appearance and gender and stuff. same with the buddies, it seems strange that i'm stuck with my randomly-generated cat that i picked before i knew i should pick a gatherer

i know i could re-make him and give him the same name as a gatherer but....c'mon just let me make the changes

idk this is video games in 2021 it'll probably be "makeover tickets" that cost $5 or something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

idk this is video games in 2021 it'll probably be "makeover tickets" that cost $5 or something

World had exactly this but it was like 2 bucks I think.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Achmed Jones posted:

it seems weird to me that they won't let you change your hunter's appearance and gender and stuff. same with the buddies, it seems strange that i'm stuck with my randomly-generated cat that i picked before i knew i should pick a gatherer

i know i could re-make him and give him the same name as a gatherer but....c'mon just let me make the changes

Your pet is supposed to be something you have 50 of they want you to have a ton of them and generate more.

There's a change appearance at the item box.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, but my OG team is Statler and Waldorf, dog and cat. It's incredibly dumb, but it feels weird just using some other random cat even if I redeem it. It feels like if I got another dog after mine crosses the rainbow bridge and I just name it Hunter too and pretend it's the same dog.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My characters face is goofy because I read that you could edit appearances in-game at the box and figured I could keep tinkering. But nope. I got my hands on the game and wanted to get to the hunting bits so I got lazy and sped through the character creation. :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Less than 24 hours until a plethora of monsters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can change your hunter at the item box, unless that's something I paid extra for accidentally

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Surprise it’s just variations of Kushala

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We're finally adding fan favorite KONCHU, along with a new delivery quest where 50 of them roll after you the whole time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

We're finally adding fan favorite KONCHU, along with a new delivery quest where 50 of them roll after you the whole time.

Better be hub, that would be hell without a friend or three to clear them

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Saint Freak posted:

Went to slap a Rathian on the head once and a Konchu just leapt through the air to save it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pixaal posted:

There's a change appearance at the item box.

i thought those bits were pretty limited, in that you couldn't change voice (except to dlc voices), gender, and maybe some other stuff? i thought same with buddies - can't change gathering style or w/e

i am happy to be wrong though!

re: being wrong, i tried click-r3-to-select-radial and it just felt weird to me so i went back to release-to-select and not using it during hunts. dangit. at least i use it to fast travel within the village though :shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh holy poo poo, am i correct in reading that the "use the felvine" command doesn't actually use up any resources? i've never used it bc i assumed it cost one of those felvine things that i find sometimes, and i tend to treat stuff like that as Can't Use It, Might Need Later. but the internet seems to be telling me that there's no consumable attached to the command after all

can i tell my cat to do drugs on every hunt with no cost?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

I am trying to keep expectations realistic but their wording isn't helping :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm expecting between 70 and 100 new monsters. Anything less and I'll be massively disappointed.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

oh holy poo poo, am i correct in reading that the "use the felvine" command doesn't actually use up any resources? i've never used it bc i assumed it cost one of those felvine things that i find sometimes, and i tend to treat stuff like that as Can't Use It, Might Need Later. but the internet seems to be telling me that there's no consumable attached to the command after all

can i tell my cat to do drugs on every hunt with no cost?

I see speedrunners do this all the time to make their cats do things but never remember to do this myself

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I by accident discovered a scheme for a weapon in the felyne shrine in the buddy plaza. Has that always been there?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Star posted:

I by accident discovered a scheme for a weapon in the felyne shrine in the buddy plaza. Has that always been there?

Yes, but it doesn’t unlock until a certain point. I want to say beating Magnamalo the first time, but I’m not sure about that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just beat Narwa. 1.0 endgame grind aside, I am ready for 2.0 to actually finish the story. I'm kinda surprised the game shipped without the ending, but oh well, they released it in a pretty solid place, all told.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Star posted:

hey me too! before you can get it it just says "the buddy shrine seal is unbroken" or something like that. i forgot all about it and accidentally opened it yesterday. i've beat magnamalo and got the credits now when i hadn't before, so i bet snake maze is correct!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

I just beat Narwa. 1.0 endgame grind aside, I am ready for 2.0 to actually finish the story. I'm kinda surprised the game shipped without the ending, but oh well, they released it in a pretty solid place, all told.

Village is 3.0 probably another month or so for that

There was lots of stuff missing from World in 1.0 too though. Like HR was locked and you couldn't go into an entire game mode that required a higher HR level.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pixaal posted:

Village is 3.0 probably another month or so for that

Oh you're right, for some reason I thought the ending was shipping with 2.0. Oh well, I'm still psyched for more content.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe it's just that I have played a lot of Monster Hunter over the years, but the difficulty level of Rise is extremely low. I think I carted 2-3 times over the entire game, and only because I stopped paying attention to a fight to watch TV. That's not a flex, it's just pretty clear to me that World provides a greater challenge, setting aside tempered etc. I had a great time with Rise though, 50+ hours, but yea, it needs some super hard modes or something.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im really glad rise is "easy" because if it were harder i probably wouldn't be having fun. that's not to say that there shouldn't also be a hard mode for people who are good at games, though!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Shammypants posted:

Maybe it's just that I have played a lot of Monster Hunter over the years, but the difficulty level of Rise is extremely low. I think I carted 2-3 times over the entire game, and only because I stopped paying attention to a fight to watch TV. That's not a flex, it's just pretty clear to me that World provides a greater challenge, setting aside tempered etc. I had a great time with Rise though, 50+ hours, but yea, it needs some super hard modes or something.

Wirefall recovery goes a long way to saving carts. The few times I did cart in LR were because I wirefalled during a charge attack (basarios, anjanath) and immediately got hit again. That and mega potions were buffed in this game as well.

Endgame monsters can manage to get you sometimes if you're not careful. But yeah I'd like to fight apex monsters outside of rampages. But thats not happening any time soon im afriad.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shammypants posted:

You are literally playing the tutorial still in HR 7 and you have hundreds of hours of experience at this point.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

If you get lucky with charms, I believe Rapid Fire Up is as strong of a damage boost as the individual ammo boosts, so with a rapid fire up +2 you could wear a wroggi hat instead and be a cowboy if you're using LBG and not HBG.

And honestly if you're not minmaxing you could probably just get away with full wroggi and fill the gaps with charms and decos. Ammo Up and Evade Extender are also very nice skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Enraged and charged up zinogre is very hard to deal with, for me. Too bad he takes like 5 minutes to get charged up the first time now

Apex zinogre starting fully charged would be a hell of a thing. Like thunderlord from gu