Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Star

And I cant stress this enough

Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
look at how good this is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYA2q2Sm_Jo
it's so loving good
and this is just the trailer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's strange how impassive and emotionless everyone is. not one person is crying!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tighclops posted:

look at how good this is
it's so loving good

the teaser trailer is top tier also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfkkhEbUlY

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Laterite posted:

Kai Winn was terrible but she was a good foil for Kira and Sisko. Utterly unflappable and implacable in her determination to be right at all times.

winn is an awful person but she's a good villain imo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i could have done without the whole sisko's mom was a space deity thing they did in the last season

yes, this and unrelatedly the "everyone loves dax" poo poo are the worst parts of the last season

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's kind of weird that DS9 was basically one of the bad timelines from a typical time travel/multiverse episode since Jake doomed the galaxy to a horrific war by bringing his father back.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Interesting that the narrator uses the term 'the end of history' in the 'end of the cold war' Star Trek movie. Fukuyama's book came out the following year, but I guess the phrase had been floating around before then?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why do I keep getting fooled into thinking a Star Trek novel might be entertaining? I'm not even looking for good, just some comfort food, like reading a story about an episode I haven't seen, but so far these books are universally poo poo garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, i grew up on that universal poo poo garbage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Why do I keep getting fooled into thinking a Star Trek novel might be entertaining? I'm not even looking for good, just some comfort food, like reading a story about an episode I haven't seen, but so far these books are universally poo poo garbage.

Are you reading the newer books?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

Are you reading the newer books?

No I just assumed they were worse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Applewhite posted:

It's been a zillion years since I read it but I remember Prime Directive being not half bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Applewhite posted:

No I just assumed they were worse

Oh they are. I’m not going to say the older novels ever rise above passable most of the time but I would only describe a few as that bad.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Applewhite posted:

I was kind of pleasantly surprised with one a while back called Vulcan's Forge. It was sort of like Spock flashing back to his childhood in the years leading up to him becoming an ambassador. No real dumb fanservicey stuff, just a solid character book.

The sequel was hot garbage that I set down after Spock hosed Saavik on the Enterprise C right before its final battle. Oy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I tried reading the TNG book “Boogeymen” but I can’t even tell what’s going on. Scenes and chronology shift without notice or indication and we keep hopping into situations in media res without context.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this is the only star trek book I need in my life

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Mean of Wolverine to get Worf with the classic "Long Stogie" prank

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think nightcrawler lost a bet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

blatman posted:

this is the only star trek book I need in my life

Wow. Typing "Star trek crossover" gets some interesting results.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Tighclops posted:

look at how good this is
it's so loving good

IMO VI would have been better if McCoy was the out and out racist and Kirk was more in character with TOS

You could have had a really good scene where McCoy calls Kirk out for not actually giving that much of a poo poo that his son died, and Kirk responding that he can't let his personal history turn him into a bigot. A nice star trek scene

Also the "Shakespeare is better in the original Klingon" bit should have been a one off joke and not the majority of the dialogue in the action scenes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Raku posted:

IMO VI would have been better if McCoy was the out and out racist and Kirk was more in character with TOS

McCoy doesn't really fit as an out and out racist any more than Kirk does, though. The thing about McCoy is that, for all that he's a curmudgeon, he's an empathetic compassionate person who values life. He's not going to let an entire intelligent species get wiped out just because they're Klingons.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lt commander montgomery "scotty" scott

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
After getting rescued from transporter hell by Geordi, he just goes on a weirdly specific and derogatory rant against Italians

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Raku posted:

You could have had a really good scene where McCoy calls Kirk out for not actually giving that much of a poo poo that his son died, and Kirk responding that he can't let his personal history turn him into a bigot. A nice star trek scene

I am thinking about McCoy's scene trying to CPR Gorkon and his speech about "I would have done anything to save him" at the trial, and realize immediately you are wrong. McCoy arguing against peace would have been way out of character.

McCoy is just casually racist against Spock because he thinks he's a prick, but he's no actual bigot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Also the "Shakespeare is better in the original Klingon" bit should have been a one off joke and not the majority of the dialogue in the action scenes.

This is probably the wrongest opinion I've ever seen expressed in any of the Star Trek threads on these forums

I mean that is up there with "Discovery has maturely written interpersonal relationships between the characters, who are also well defined."

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

like why even have plummer as a klingon general if you're not going to go that route

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

McCoy is that scene in Gran Torino where an old man and his barber teach a teenager it’s okay to be racist but only to people you know it’s okay to be racist to.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

VectorSigma posted:

like why even have plummer as a klingon general if you're not going to go that route

The whole point of the movie is to have plummer taunt shatner with lines from Shakespeare as they blow up the Cold war

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Raku posted:

What playwright should they have quoted instead?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

"Mamet is best in the original Ferengi."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What playwright should they have quoted instead?

Samuel Beckett

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s The Book of Mormon is best heard in the original Klingon

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dylan Thomas is NOT good in Klingon haha am I right?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm glad we got no Ds9 movie. Thinking how they could have made sisko ending even worse than it was.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I can still hear Leonard delivering "I was desperate to save him!" echoing in my mind. drat I love that moopie!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Flipswitch posted:

I'm glad we got no Ds9 movie. Thinking how they could have made sisko ending even worse than it was.

DS9: The Search for Sisko :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the finale of ds9 seemed like it was deliberately closing the door on movies.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
DS9, but with a fourth set of docking pylons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
next season on discovery they visit deep space 69 and its got 22 pylons and they're all just floating there