Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MourningView posted:

are we pretending that arkansas state is some far flung west coast school here because of a river?

I am a Harsin skeptic generally but he's at least an objectively very successful coach. That's not a hire I'm gonna kill too badly and it was a pretty good recovery for auburn under the circumstances. Originally they were going to fire Gus to hire loving kevin steele so it could have been a lot worse

I'm just saying his relatively short run at a G5 school in Arkansas isn't really the track record I want to hang my hat on if I'm Auburn. The vast majority of his career success is on the west coast in the P12 and MW.

I don't think it's a bad hire, but saying that it's less insane than what Texas did I dunno about that, just seems like a way crazier set of circumstances in total than "blueblood hires the hottest assistant available on the market".

I get why Texas moved on from Herman, I don't get why Auburn fired Malzahn beyond hubris and ego. I can understand how Texas got to Sark, I don't really get how Auburn landed on Harsin. Maybe it'll be good for them I dunno, just that the connective dots are way easier for me to follow at Texas than they are at Auburn for this carousel.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They landed on Harsin because he's been one of if not the most consistently successful coach in the G5 since 2013. There are reasons to think it's less impressive than the actual on paper record but hiring the guy who has won 76% of his games as a head coach seems about as straightforward as hires get and frankly just hiring guys who win a lot is probably generally a better strategy than hiring guys just because they have Nick Saban's phone number

If you're worried about Harsin for geographic reasons then I don't know how you can be high on Sark, his entire career was on the west coast before Bama and he's never coached in Texas, which is where he's going to do like 90% of his recruiting.

E: if you go by this Harsin has the 11th best winning percentage among active head coaches and three of the guys above him are getting propped up by insane runs at lower levels (Leipold in D3, Kleiman in FCS, and the Fresno guy went 67-3 at some NAIA school). Again I don't think he's who i would hire but it's a very easy one to explain.

https://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 26, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Both seem to be high-floor, low-ceiling (at least in comparison to fan expectations) hires. Doesn't seem like either is likely to be a disaster nor does it seem either is going to win enough to consolidate power and fix whatever structural problems have been ail their respective programs. That said, I'm just regurgitating what I've heard from Godfrey like everyone else itt, so who knows?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sark seems like he has a decent chance of being an outright disaster at least by Texas standards.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I could see him doing like Herman and having a false-hope season in one of his first two years where they win 10 games and go to an NY6 Bowl and the “here comes Texas!” storyline goes into overdrive before falling back into the 7-9 wins per year funk.

In the current Big 12 it seems practically impossible for Texas to lose more than 4 games in a given year, but I guess that’s what I assumed for Strong and Herman too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Losing a tight end to the transfer portal. Graduated early apparently.

https://twitter.com/_EppsKid/status/1386716733738782720

4-star prospect but he never really clicked.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

General Dog posted:

I could see him doing like Herman and having a false-hope season in one of his first two years where they win 10 games and go to an NY6 Bowl and the “here comes Texas!” storyline goes into overdrive before falling back into the 7-9 wins per year funk.

In the current Big 12 it seems practically impossible for Texas to lose more than 4 games in a given year, but I guess that’s what I assumed for Strong and Herman too.

I think there's only 4 teams in the Big 12 I would say are definitely worse than Texas right now. Baylor, KU, KSU, and TT. I could see Texas losing 5 games in conference during a particularly bad year. Drop an OOC game, and they'd be on the verge of missing a bowl game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think there's only 4 teams in the Big 12 I would say are definitely worse than Texas right now. Baylor, KU, KSU, and TT. I could see Texas losing 5 games in conference during a particularly bad year. Drop an OOC game, and they'd be on the verge of missing a bowl game.

I don't see much in West Virginia or TCU to distinguish them from the four you listed. (I mean, Kansas is way worse than any of them obviously)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well they're the only 4 teams that didn't go to bowls last year. Texas lost to TCU, and only beat WVU by 4. Texas Tech had a weird year last year, so I'm actually not sure where to place them. They took Texas to OT, beat WVU, but then just barely won against Kansas and Houston Baptist. I could maybe say WVU is worse than Texas, but I think TCU definitely stands above those others.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think K-state can still be pretty good, and for whatever reason they usually play Texas tough

TCU seems kinda done to me until Patterson moves on but maybe that's being overly dramatic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baylor's kind of a question mark; it's a pretty good bet the defense will be decent, the offense is just a question of the talent and whether Aranda will stay out of the way.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

whos that broooown posted:

Same, for this and texas firing herman for sark.

This is why I was kind of glad that Michigan reset Harbaugh this year, rather than fire him. The pool of replacements was pretty slim and I'm not sold that Campbell is an upgrade.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

I think K-state can still be pretty good, and for whatever reason they usually play Texas tough

TCU seems kinda done to me until Patterson moves on but maybe that's being overly dramatic.

TCU's biggest issues appear to be a complete inability to get decent defensive back play merged with the fact that their QBs have been essentially disastrous throughout. I don't know how much of that is a direct result of Gary--probably a decent amount since it's recruiting based--but their offense just hasn't been the same post-Boykin

K-State really looks like Kliemann has just created a program identity that simultaneously meshes with what that program was with Snyder while still being just a touch more modern and capable of responding to different stimuli. It's sort of akin to how I look at early Petersen/late Hawkins Boise where they can make a case that they're actually so multiple that teams seem to really struggle preparing for their wrinkles. Almost like what Shaw was doing at Stanford when they were really rolling.

Regnevelc posted:

This is why I was kind of glad that Michigan reset Harbaugh this year, rather than fire him. The pool of replacements was pretty slim and I'm not sold that Campbell is an upgrade.

The strangest thing about the Campbell era to me is that he's an offensive guy, but their entire reason for winning in the Big 12 has been Heacock's defense (a phrase I cannot believe I"m uttering based on his family tree). Their weird stack defense is just about perfect for the conference, and they get by on offense with a competent TE and RB who are some of the easier positions to find weird mismatch guys moving forward. What's funny though, is that they basically looks like exactly what I think Harbaugh wanted the offense to look like initially with Gattis at least in structure.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MourningView posted:

I don't think they're done, but I also don't see them being really better than .500 anymore either. I don't see another 11-1 run to a title game and a new years day bowl for them with Patterson, but they probably won't become sanctioned Baylor/Kansas bad either.

It does feel like their floor has gotten way lower than you'd have expected and the ceiling seems to get dropping to it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well they're the only 4 teams that didn't go to bowls last year. Texas lost to TCU, and only beat WVU by 4. Texas Tech had a weird year last year, so I'm actually not sure where to place them. They took Texas to OT, beat WVU, but then just barely won against Kansas and Houston Baptist. I could maybe say WVU is worse than Texas, but I think TCU definitely stands above those others.

We're extremely inconsistent. I wouldn't use Texas as a measuring stick for any Big 12 team.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheGreyGhost posted:

TCU's biggest issues appear to be a complete inability to get decent defensive back play merged with the fact that their QBs have been essentially disastrous throughout. I don't know how much of that is a direct result of Gary--probably a decent amount since it's recruiting based--but their offense just hasn't been the same post-Boykin

Oh hey, Tech just hired the guy who has been running TCU's offense post Boykin. Fun!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't think they're done, but I also don't see them being really better than .500 anymore either. I don't see another 11-1 run to a title game and a new years day bowl for them with Patterson, but they probably won't become sanctioned Baylor/Kansas bad either.

It does feel like their floor has gotten way lower than you'd have expected and the ceiling seems to get dropping to it.

Yeah I meant done as a top tier of the conference type team. They can make bowls and stuff but it sort of seems like the rest of the conference has figured out his defense to some degree and the offense has been mostly bad since Boykin graduated

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

lol i'm definitely not as plugged in to football as I used to be, but every now and again I forget Auburn fired Gus for loving Bryan Harsin and have a hearty giggle

They're obviously hoping he'll be another Peterson but they may have bought a Hawkins, time will tell. If McElwain taught me anything it's that the mid-major lottery is a harsh mistress.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

They're obviously hoping he'll be another Peterson but they may have bought a Hawkins, time will tell. If McElwain taught me anything it's that the mid-major lottery is a harsh mistress.

i mean urban was also a mid major coach. you can find failed hires for basically every possible archetype.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

i mean urban was also a mid major coach. you can find failed hires for basically every possible archetype.

Wait you mean to tell me there are other failed coaches? Holy poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

i want so bad for Sark to be the magic bullet that makes Texas awesome again and I am at the point now where I’m looking for any reason at all to be optimistic that he could be. Even if it’s absolute bullshit, I just want to believe.

What are the odds that Sark’s time at Washington was just a freak low-point in his career like Saban’s stint with the Miami Dolphins? Yes I know NFL coaching and NCAAF coaching are totally different beasts and comparing the two men’s stories is kinda apples and oranges, I don’t care, PLEASE JUST GIVE ME A REASON TO HOPE

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

It is funny that Jeremy Foley passed on the obvious hire of Dan Mullen for Jim McElwain, because Foley probably couldn't stand Mullen, only to end up hating McElwain by the end.

This is a good excuse to bring up Steve Spurrier's remarks during McElwain's final game at Florida: "With the Gators trailing 21-0 at the half in their eventual loss to Georgia, Spurrier walked through the press box and asked a handful of reporters, 'What happened to the forward pass?'"

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

I. M. Gei posted:

i want so bad for Sark to be the magic bullet that makes Texas awesome again and I am at the point now where I’m looking for any reason at all to be optimistic that he could be. Even if it’s absolute bullshit, I just want to believe.

What are the odds that Sark’s time at Washington was just a freak low-point in his career like Saban’s stint with the Miami Dolphins? Yes I know NFL coaching and NCAAF coaching are totally different beasts and comparing the two men’s stories is kinda apples and oranges, I don’t care, PLEASE JUST GIVE ME A REASON TO HOPE

Washington can't be a freak low point because he literally hit rock bottom at USC

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/ATL_boomer1990/status/1384540783542341639?s=19

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That list is a LIE, as Gil's is the best spot in San Marcos.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Central Michigan, cmon.

https://twitter.com/ATL_boomer1990/status/1383075353376088065?s=19

Ohio State, come on

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Varsity loving sucks and I don't know a single person who's lived in Atlanta for any period of time who thinks otherwise

Maybe it was good in like the 50s or something but nowadays it's worse than most national burger chains

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ATL_boomer1990/status/1385611588946833408?s=19

Tuscaloosa we need to talk

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I had to Google what Voula's Offshore Cafe was because I've never heard of it despite having lived in and around Seattle for over a decade. That's disqualifying in and of itself.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

It is funny that Jeremy Foley passed on the obvious hire of Dan Mullen for Jim McElwain, because Foley probably couldn't stand Mullen, only to end up hating McElwain by the end.

This is a good excuse to bring up Steve Spurrier's remarks during McElwain's final game at Florida: "With the Gators trailing 21-0 at the half in their eventual loss to Georgia, Spurrier walked through the press box and asked a handful of reporters, 'What happened to the forward pass?'"

Look, it was obviously the QB's fault--Mac said right there in the intro press conference he could teach his system to hid dog, Clarabelle.

gently caress, what a weird miserable time that was for offense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Tulane selection tells me that this is a troll

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
lol @ A&M's best pizza being Gumby's

The only selling point of that place is back when I attended they were the one place that'd deliver at 1 AM when you were smashed as gently caress which is how you tolerated their pizza in the first place

Dixie Chicken is good though and while you could argue for a lot of places in Austin at least Kerbey Lane is plausibly in the debate

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This list is designed to be bad and foster arguments, how the gently caress you gonna put R U Hungry as Rutgers' best and not put Are U Hungry as Penn State's best (which it is) (an argument could be made for Big Bowl)

Also lol at Pitt being Pamela's, foh

Why am I still thinking about this

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 27, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm pretty sure that K-State was quietly ravaged to the loving mooon by Covid so I'm hoping they end up better than they looked last year.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lol at thinking the Grill is anything close to the best food in Athens. Shameful list all around

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So the best restaurant at Penn St is Gumby's Pizza (lol), but the best Pizza joint at PSU is Canyon Pizza? That doesn't check out

I like Crooked Crust and eat there a bunch, but its not the best place in Denton

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

The only selling point of that place is back when I attended they were the one place that'd deliver at 1 AM when you were smashed as gently caress which is how you tolerated their pizza in the first place

Dixie Chicken is good though and while you could argue for a lot of places in Austin at least Kerbey Lane is plausibly in the debate

lol, Gumby's was so poo poo in Lawrence it closed down like 10 years ago.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So the best restaurant at Penn St is Gumby's Pizza (lol), but the best Pizza joint at PSU is Canyon Pizza? That doesn't check out

I always preferred College to Canyon, though I recognize and respect Canyon's stature. There was a place on Hetzel that I can't remember the name of that I liked too. It isn't there any more anyhow.

Baby's will always be my favorite restaurant in town. I'm just glad they didn't pick loving Mad Mex.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah that's when I would order it. God bless them.

MourningView posted:

That's true, I mainly wanted an excuse to mention the dumpster fire that was Dan Hawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lmao Calhoun’s isn’t even close to the best. The only thing it has going for it is it’s on the River and super close to the stadium. There’s plenty of other places that blow it out of the water food and service-wise