Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Deep Space 69 should have 420 pylons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DS9 Refit with eight docking arms arranged in two tight rows of four that curve outward and one of the docking arms as a band of gold plating around one section and the docking ring, hab ring, and central section are all painted a bright red.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i feel like if avery brooks had got the opportunity to poo poo all over a movie the way patrick stewart did, he wouldve made it a moving character drama about a conflicted but good man doing the best he can to do right by his son and the federation, in that order

this is to say that it'd be a good movie. a sisko series with brooks at the helm would be what we all wanted picard to be, but with jambalaya instead of wine

even if you tell me i'm wrong i won't believe you. sisko rules avery brooks rules

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like jean luc picard, but stewart seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMrBldVk0s

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i feel like if avery brooks had got the opportunity to poo poo all over a movie the way patrick stewart did, he wouldve made it a moving character drama about a conflicted but good man doing the best he can to do right by his son and the federation, in that order

this is to say that it'd be a good movie. a sisko series with brooks at the helm would be what we all wanted picard to be, but with jambalaya instead of wine

even if you tell me i'm wrong i won't believe you. sisko rules avery brooks rules

A Sisko series but it's just Avery Brooks cooking dishes from Star Trek. In character. With guests in character as well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cthulu Carl posted:

A Sisko series but it's just Avery Brooks cooking dishes from Star Trek. In character. With guests in character as well.

I would watch this.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cthulu Carl posted:

The neelix episode would be awesome. Also the only episode rated TV-M for strong violence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not much cooking would get done, but who wouldn't want to see sisko slowly choke the life out of neelix with his bare hands?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, i think i have a new, incredibly specific fetish now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

i will pre-order the collectors edition

for my birthday ms jones got me sisko and o'brien toys. they're awesome

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Voyager, Season 1 Episode 10 "Prime Factors"

Voyager travels to pleasure planet. Harry is taken by one of its residents over 40,000 lightyears via advanced tech to planet date rape. Voyager asks if they can use that tech to be transported 40,000 years closer to home. Pleasure planet people say it's absolutely against their prime directive and it goes against everything they believe in as a culture.

Crew goes back to Voyager to be pissy about it. Tuvok chimes in, "What if 'no' means 'maybe'"?

Against the Captain's wishes, BLT attempts to steal the tech in a sneaky way. From a people that are renowned across the entire quadrant for their hospitality and wonderfulness.

Whole episode becomes a metaphor where pleasure planet represents those sluts that sleep around and Voyager represents the only right choice of long-term relationships. Episode is extremely hosed. So pretty typical as Voyager episodes go.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

Samuel Beckett

Just LMBO at the thought of Klingons sitting down to watch Beckett. Or Vulcans for that matter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zesty posted:

Whole episode becomes a metaphor where pleasure planet represents those sluts that sleep around and Voyager represents the only right choice of long-term relationships. Episode is extremely hosed. So pretty typical as Voyager episodes go.

Welcome to the ever-deeper pit of Voyager, friend. Your journey is a long one, do not hesitate to turn back and climb towards the light if it suits you. But we welcome you if your morbid curiosity drives to explore the depths and join with those who ventured before you.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
i tried watching voyager and ain't never finishing that, some things are worse than pain

So I re-watched DS9 for the 3rd time during the pandemic but now that I've discovered weed I'm re-watching TNG for the 1st time and that's been p. great but I have a question:
what the gently caress was the point of the awful, snide, terrible doctor-lady in TNG S2? like WHY? I know she doesn't last long but it seems like they wrote her like they wanted you to hate her. her acting certainly helps with the hating! like right off the bat she calls data "Dahtah" and captain picard "Captain Pee-kard" And just every time she opens her loving maw some stupid poo poo comes out

I hope this character dies terribly or exists to play an evil foil. but i really don't remember she is so forgettable.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Nothing happens to her, she stops appearing and is never mentioned again. Completely tossed down the memory hole.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sound like you could use the weed though. Pulaski is in like 4 episodes. Just skip them if it's that bad.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pulaski was cool and in the good alternate Trek universe she would've supplanted Picard through Klingon promotion and had space adventures with Captain Janeway.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I just finished a full rewatch of Voyager and terrible episodes aside, what's with that 2 minute finale wrap-up, what the gently caress? They finally get back home, a minute later Bellana pops out her prophet-child and within 30 seconds credits roll and that's all folks. gently caress closure, I guess?

Time to start my yearly rewatch of SG-1, I guess

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 27, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pulaski is genderbent Bones, trying to fill that exact same character archetype: crotchy neophobic genius doctor who feelings and codes matter damnit. It doesn't work because the only crew member of the D allowed to have full time personality issues is Reg.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zesty posted:

Voyager travels to pleasure planet. Harry is taken by one of its residents over 40,000 lightyears via advanced tech to planet date rape. Voyager asks if they can use that tech to be transported 40,000 years closer to home. Pleasure planet people say it's absolutely against their prime directive and it goes against everything they believe in as a culture.

Crew goes back to Voyager to be pissy about it. Tuvok chimes in, "What if 'no' means 'maybe'"?

Against the Captain's wishes, BLT attempts to steal the tech in a sneaky way. From a people that are renowned across the entire quadrant for their hospitality and wonderfulness.

That's a weird interpretation.

Janeway continues to negotiate for the technology with their leader while Torres finds a guy willing to sell it to them, which would not be against the federations prime directive, only against theirs.

The main guy turns nasty as soon as it's clear he isn't going to get into Janeway's pants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did they ever ask if they could just get a 40kly boost instead of getting the tech themselves?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Did they ever ask if they could just get a 40kly boost instead of getting the tech themselves?

This is actually what they were negotiating (Send voyager in return for all of voyager's literature) when Torres et al were doing backalley deals. The aliens never had the intention of doing so, and the stolen tech turns out to be useless because it only works with that planet's makeup because of TechnoBabble.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

not much cooking would get done, but who wouldn't want to see sisko slowly choke the life out of neelix with his bare hands?

15 minutes of Sisko strangling Neelix, never breaking eye contact with the camera.

Then 45 minutes cheerily imparting a gumbo recipe like nothing happened.

Neelix's body stays on the counter. There are no camera cuts and the view stays at that wide angle to the entire episode. Neelix never moves. Ethan Phillips's social media presence disappears without comment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

15 minutes of Sisko strangling Neelix, never breaking eye contact with the camera.

Then 45 minutes cheerily imparting a gumbo recipe like nothing happened.

Neelix's body stays on the counter. There are no camera cuts and the view stays at that wide angle to the entire episode. Neelix never moves. Ethan Phillips's social media presence disappears without comment.

CBS reveals Neelix will be guest-starring in season 2 of Picard. Everyone smiles in excitement and nobody complains. All wait, remembering what happened to prior special guest starts in the first season.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sanctum posted:

what the gently caress was the point of the awful, snide, terrible doctor-lady in TNG S2? like WHY? I know she doesn't last long but it seems like they wrote her like they wanted you to hate her. her acting certainly helps with the hating! like right off the bat she calls data "Dahtah" and captain picard "Captain Pee-kard" And just every time she opens her loving maw some stupid poo poo comes out
She was supposed to inject some inter-crew conflict into the television show which had one of the foundational rules being that the crew didn't conflict with each other. She was also a convenient excuse to get rid of Gates McFadden.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fishstick posted:

This is actually what they were negotiating (Send voyager in return for all of voyager's literature) when Torres et al were doing backalley deals. The aliens never had the intention of doing so, and the stolen tech turns out to be useless because it only works with that planet's makeup because of TechnoBabble.

Ah.

(Although the Borg apparently figured out how to do it without the planet's technobabble)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

Just watched the "what if Seven of Nine was lying about being raped?" episode.

The moral of the story is "believe all women but don't believe them too much because what if you destroy the life of an innocent man."

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Oh they had multiple ways of actually going back faster.
They invent a slipstream drive that worked but had some issues for one episode. It then gets dismantled to never try or look at it again except to pawn it off to other races as part of trade agreements.

They manage to figure out Borg Transwarp by using a transwarp coil stolen from a borg ship, which gets used once for 20.000 LY before the coil gives out. Despite them fighting and even allying with borg multiple times getting another coil never seems to come up despite it being an apparently working method.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

CBS reveals Neelix will be guest-starring in season 2 of Picard. Everyone smiles in excitement and nobody complains. All wait, remembering what happened to prior special guest starts in the first season.

Everyone waits for this to happen, only to find out that Neelix is now a main cast member replacing, uh... Drug Grandma.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chaosbreather posted:

Pulaski is genderbent Bones, trying to fill that exact same character archetype: crotchy neophobic genius doctor who feelings and codes matter damnit. It doesn't work because the only crew member of the D allowed to have full time personality issues is Reg.

Yeah, I always heard that they wanted to get some of that back-and-forth needling of each other that Spock and McCoy always did -- emotion vs. logic -- so they invented Pulaski to be a foil for Data. And it just plain did not work. The biggest reason, of course, was that it's not really in Data's personality to fire back, so Pulaski just came off as a bully who was picking on him all the time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Everyone waits for this to happen, only to find out that Neelix is now a main cast member replacing, uh... Drug Grandma.

Neelix, the barefoot pedophile deserter who nearly destroyed a federation starship with cheese, would be the most competent and well-adjusted person on the ship

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm midway through season 2 of Voyager and I find it... not that terrible? It's not, like, that good either. Especially compared to TNG and DS9 which both own really hard. But I've definitely watched worse stuff.

I'm also a huge weirdo and I always have a soft spot for characters that everybody hates. So I find Neelix annoying but I can't bring myself to hate him. See also Wesley Crusher.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm midway through season 2 of Voyager and I find it... not that terrible? It's not, like, that good either. Especially compared to TNG and DS9 which both own really hard. But I've definitely watched worse stuff.

I'm also a huge weirdo and I always have a soft spot for characters that everybody hates. So I find Neelix annoying but I can't bring myself to hate him. See also Wesley Crusher.

Wait. It's a fairly steady curve downward and you're at the shallow end.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait. It's a fairly steady curve downward and you're at the shallow end.

Neelix peaks in season 4. And I know you love that episode because it's one of the ones he dies in.

Applewhite posted:

The moral of the story is "believe all women but don't believe them too much because what if you destroy the life of an innocent man."

Or, it could be about fake rear end allyship that makes it all about themselves and how they're "helping" and how destructive that can be.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
At the time it was about the bullshitness of things like testimony through hypnosis which was all the rage in those days.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, I was kind of lumping that together into a broader theme but yea. You couldn't go a week without seeing something about someone in a news story talking about new things they learned about themselves under hypnosis.

It's one of the things that kicked off the huge alien abduction craze back in the 90s too. Hell it's the basis for X-Files.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, I always heard that they wanted to get some of that back-and-forth needling of each other that Spock and McCoy always did -- emotion vs. logic -- so they invented Pulaski to be a foil for Data. And it just plain did not work. The biggest reason, of course, was that it's not really in Data's personality to fire back, so Pulaski just came off as a bully who was picking on him all the time.

Data should have been written as a Noel Coward level wit who is a nightmare to work with unless (and until) he's directly commanded to literally turn it off

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CainFortea posted:

Or, it could be about fake rear end allyship that makes it all about themselves and how they're "helping" and how destructive that can be.

I haven't seen that one in a while, but... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i kind of dont hate pulaski