Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Japanese Formula cars are actually the inverse of that - extremely fast through the turns but slow in a straight line.

IIRC Ralf Schumacher tested a McLaren car right after his Japanese Formula Nippon championship and was somewhat unimpressed by it - he said it was much faster in a straight line but the cornering speeds were not much higher (if at all) than the FN Reynard-Mugen car he drove (the Japanese Formula cars always used ground effects IIRC, long after F1 banned them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
MotoGP is like 30 seconds a lap slower than F1 and it's an insanely better thing to watch. I really wish F1 would just throw out the concept of having to be the fastest motorsports series because it would give them a shitload of leeway to finally fix the loving thing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

your friend wicka posted:

I also hate that IndyCar isn't so overly dependent on aerodynamics that it's nearly impossible to pass without a gimmicked rear wing

Indeed, but also keep in mind that American Open Wheel has always used a customer chassis and ground effects, making passing easier.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

MotoGP is like 30 seconds a lap slower than F1 and it's an insanely better thing to watch. I really wish F1 would just throw out the concept of having to be the fastest motorsports series because it would give them a shitload of leeway to finally fix the loving thing.

I honestly don’t think they can - it really is an engineering discipline. They really need to stop the ban on customer cars though - it’s silly.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

:amen:

Ban America.

champions

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Frond posted:

Indeed, but also keep in mind that American Open Wheel has always used a customer chassis and ground effects, making passing easier.

still have a push to pass system though. i haven't ever bothered looking into how it works and if i ever knew i forgot, but i know it exists.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MotoGP is 8246 overtakes of no consequence per race then the same 1-3people win it.
It's actively dull.

Fight me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

your friend wicka posted:

I also hate that IndyCar isn't so overly dependent on aerodynamics that it's nearly impossible to pass without a gimmicked rear wing

you know in your heart that they'd implement it like the fanboost if indycar sponsors could settle on whose brand gets mentioned

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Khablam posted:

MotoGP is 8246 overtakes of no consequence per race then the same 1-3people win it.
It's actively dull.

Fight me.

I know you like hot takes but this is just a giant loving lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol I don’t watch the F1 for consistently exiting racing, I watch it so I can have a nice snooze on a sunny Sunday afternoon for most of the season, with maybe 5 or 6 races where I’m sat bolt upright screaming holy fuckballs at the TV.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

you fall asleep to the dulcet times of crofty shrieking about minor contact between two cars in a turn

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

italian quid posted:

I know you like hot takes but this is just a giant loving lmao

bike racing just doesn't interest me that much idk, same reason why i can't be hosed to get a bike licence

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s a skill I learned during the buzzing hornets era.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The only good American racing is IMSA this is well known.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If we're back round to 'I'm going to post about how much I don't like f1 in the f1 thread' I'm going to go back to pointing out that despite apparently being amazing, the only time motogp comes up is in the f1 thread and it doesn't seem to be good enough to support its own discussion thread.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

If we're back round to 'I'm going to post about how much I don't like f1 in the f1 thread' I'm going to go back to pointing out that despite apparently being amazing, the only time motogp comes up is in the f1 thread and it doesn't seem to be good enough to support its own discussion thread.

aggggreed f1 is perfect and its primary audience of racist british dads will keep the money flowing through the sport forever

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

bike racing just doesn't interest me that much idk, same reason why i can't be hosed to get a bike licence

I wasn't too interested until I got into karting and a lot of the dynamics ended up being closer to MotoGP than modern F1. It's definitely not for everyone but I don't think you can legitimately argue that F1 has better racing and if you seriously believe that you should visit a neurologist to address your brain damage.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

There's nothing to discuss.
wow lots of people overtaking each other oh boy looks kinda cool oh no someone fell over and a spanish twink wins!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

So you watch the Big Bang Theory then because you believe that's good right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

italian quid posted:

I wasn't too interested until I got into karting and a lot of the dynamics ended up being closer to MotoGP than modern F1. It's definitely not for everyone but I don't think you can legitimately argue that F1 has better racing and if you seriously believe that you should visit a neurologist to address your brain damage.

the only time f1 has good racing is when Scuderia MissionWinnow Ferrari win

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
*Dutch

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

gp has a cycle asylum thread that is a very different subculture from here and probably doesn't need more sas or brit influence

no offense

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

There's nothing to discuss.
wow lots of people overtaking each other oh boy looks kinda cool oh no someone fell over and a spanish twink wins!

My friend I think you'll find that they pass more due to the fact that the time between first and tenth finish in a MotoGP race is less than the time first and second will finish in an F1 race. That's just sort of an inevitable consequence of having very competitive racing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

the paradigm shift posted:

gp has a cycle asylum thread that is a very different subculture from here and probably doesn't need more sas or brit influence

no offense

Last time I posted in there that clinically depressed kiwi dude got mad at me lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s the Americans who like Moto GP, the brits ain’t chuffing paying for Sky *and* BT Sport.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

It's actively dull.

Fight me.
Bikes are poo poo as well.

italian quid posted:

Bikes are poo poo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

italian quid posted:

So you watch the Big Bang Theory then because you believe that's good right?

I loving hate the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and enjoy niche prog which I think is better but is not as popular as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I don't go into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers thread to talk about how much the Red Hot Chilli Peppers suck and everyone should listen to Soft Machine, and if I really wanted to post about Soft Machine I'd find a prog thread or start a Soft Machine appreciation thread.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I loving hate the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and enjoy niche prog which I think is better but is not as popular as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I don't go into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers thread to talk about how much the Red Hot Chilli Peppers suck and everyone should listen to Soft Machine, and if I really wanted to post about Soft Machine I'd find a prog thread or start a Soft Machine appreciation thread.

Have you tried having fun at any point in your life?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dog.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

all of these bands are boring white people music lol

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

italian quid posted:

Have you tried having fun at any point in your life?

I enjoy watching formula 1 and listening to and playing music, amongst other things. I don't enjoy the millionth instance of telling everyone in the f1 thread how much you don't enjoy f1. We get it already.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

all of these bands are boring white people music lol

I thought it was appropriate with F1 and Motogp being boring white people sports.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
maybe i'm the boring white person......noooo

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I enjoy watching formula 1 and listening to and playing music, amongst other things. I don't enjoy the millionth instance of telling everyone in the f1 thread how much you don't enjoy f1. We get it already.

Maybe you should make a serious discussion F1 thread that isn't fun and lighthearted 🤔

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Is there a John Cale music thread because I want to go in there and let everyone know that I hate John Cale and Lou Reed is better

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Who should be my Mega Driver this week so I can make it to the top of the fantasy league?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I still don't know why they delayed the new regulations for tyres and aero until 2022

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I still don't know why they delayed the new regulations for tyres and aero until 2022

probably the worldwide pandemic

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

Maybe you should make a serious discussion F1 thread that isn't fun and lighthearted 🤔

Here I made one for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'm sorry you're that loving mad about some dumb internet thread my friend lmao