Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They're fine, don't really stand out in the category but not a disaster. Weird thing is they have the crinkliest crinkle-cut fries I've ever seen. They're like so serrated you could probably saw wood with one, and they will tear your mouth up a little.

We hit up a foosackly's when we were hangry and tired after getting stuck in a 6 hour traffic jam on I10 crossing the Atchafalaya. I don't know if it was any good, but boy was fried chicken and fries a lifesaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gumby's pizza loving sucks but Pokey Sticks are loving phenomenal and I will hear no slander of them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Also there are so many better restaurants in Austin than Kerbey Lane it’s not even funny, and I’d venture to say the same was true 15 years ago.

:hmmyes:

Even if you're limiting yourself to popular fare for the college kids and not hoity-toity upscale dining, I'd rather go to El Arroyo or Trudy's.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Also there are so many better restaurants in Austin than Kerbey Lane it’s not even funny, and I’d venture to say the same was true 15 years ago.

The best pizza place in Austin is Mellow Mushroom WHICH I’M TOLD STILL HAS AT LEAST ONE LOCATION LEFT AFTER URBAN OUTFITTERS loving BOUGHT OUT AND CLOSED THE ONE ON THE DRAG, and that BETTER loving BE TRUE or Imma be REAL MAD

I know Mellow is a chain but it's so drat good and consistent between any one I've been to

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

Even if you're limiting yourself to popular fare for the college kids and not hoity-toity upscale dining, I'd rather go to El Arroyo or Trudy's.

Forget the food, El Arroyo belongs at or near the top of every great restaurant list for their sign game alone and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sportsgenius86 posted:

Gumby's pizza loving sucks but Pokey Sticks are loving phenomenal and I will hear no slander of them.

i didnt realize they were a chain until now

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kinda tangentally related since none of those lists are for the best G5 pizza joints, but you cannot have a conversation about the best pizza in Dallas without mentioning Cane Rosso and Zoli’s. Guy Fieri featured Cane Rosso on DDD (which has opened more locations since then) and Zoli’s is owned by the same guy. They each specialize in different styles of pizza; CR does Neapolitan and I think Zoli’s does something closer to New York style. Both are loving excellent.

Taste of Chicago is pretty good too if you like Chicago deep dish. If I remember right it’s almost right across the street from Zoli’s. I had a boss from Chicago who ate there all the time and swore by it.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The list got right that Macado's is my favorite place in Blacksburg, but actual best food? I think there are some higher end options these days that are well regarded around there.

Sort of expected to see The Cellar top this list, which I'm guessing is trying optimize between how good the food was and how likely you were to eat there on a college budget. For just straight-up food quality downtown, The Black Hen is the real fuckin deal.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

I feel like this would make a way better argument if Rice and UH weren’t so loving close to each other. Remember their two campuses are literally only separated by a municipal park; they’re probably less than like 2 miles from one another.

EDIT: Like UCLA and USC having two different entries kinda makes sense, since they’re in two totally different districts in LA, but UH and Rice are way too close together for that logic to work.

I'm well aware where Rice and UH are in Houston - it's closer to 4 miles as the crow flies and 30 minutes by car - and the two are in completely different parts of Houston. In Austin terms Rice is in like that neighborhood between the Mopac and Downtown, and UH is in east Austin

Regardless neither place is even the best option in their respective neighborhoods, or blocks even, and that list is a shitpost.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 27, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm also glad that they didn't just default to Primanti's for Pitt because it really isn't that good in the first place. I really like Pamela's, but I wouldn't declare it to be the best in Pittsburgh. Also a bit odd because it pretty much is just for breakfast.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

single-mode fiber posted:

Sort of expected to see The Cellar top this list, which I'm guessing is trying optimize between how good the food was and how likely you were to eat there on a college budget. For just straight-up food quality downtown, The Black Hen is the real fuckin deal.

The Cellar is a great spot, its been so long since I went back I wouldn't even really know where to go anymore I hear a lot of my favs are long gone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I. M. Gei posted:

The best pizza place in Austin is Mellow Mushroom WHICH I’M TOLD STILL HAS AT LEAST ONE LOCATION LEFT AFTER URBAN OUTFITTERS loving BOUGHT OUT AND CLOSED THE ONE ON THE DRAG, and that BETTER loving BE TRUE or Imma be REAL MAD

Joey Freshwater posted:

I know Mellow is a chain but it's so drat good and consistent between any one I've been to

That's the thing, it says more about the city than anything... In this goon's honest opinion, if your best pizza joint is a chain location that is not originally from that city, then your city needs to up its pizza game :reject:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

That's the thing, it says more about the city than anything... In this goon's honest opinion, if your best pizza joint is a chain location that is not originally from that city, then your city needs to up its pizza game :reject:

Yeah but Mellow is really friggin good ok!

I'm in atlanta and it's well high on my list of fav pizza places and there's an assload of them here. I think its the crust.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mellow is fuckin awesome and it’s our biweekly pizza night order but it cannot be the best pizza place in Austin. It just cannot. I won’t believe otherwise. It’s not even the best in Charleston.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Personally preferred Home Slice in Austin. Mellow is good, but its pricey and can get going with too many toppings.

I will forever enjoy rolling up to the South Congress spot and getting a few slices to wander down the street with.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mellow is probably top tier as far as chains go, always pretty solid. Recently we’ve been doing our own pizza at home and that’s cool and also frustrating

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know how indicative spring games are but Arizona looks to have an offense so bad that I can't tell if their defense looking good is real or not.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Rick posted:

I don't know how indicative spring games are but Arizona looks to have an offense so bad that I can't tell if their defense looking good is real or not.

With spring games the defense knows exactly what the offense is planning on. The offenses also run bare bones basic playbooks as well. While Arizona might have a terrible offense or a really good defense you simply can't really tell from a spring game.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

lol should have known it was food chat that lead to all the new posts today :xd:

I'm shocked they didn't just go Valentino's for Nebraska's best pizza joint. Lazzari's is cool as hell.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
FYI for Virginia Goons, Crozet Pizza isn't too far from UVA and it's loving great.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

fast cars loose anus posted:

lol @ A&M's best pizza being Gumby's

The only selling point of that place is back when I attended they were the one place that'd deliver at 1 AM when you were smashed as gently caress which is how you tolerated their pizza in the first place

Dixie Chicken is good though and while you could argue for a lot of places in Austin at least Kerbey Lane is plausibly in the debate

Gumby's kicks loving rear end. all the best stoner pizza ensembles you can think of, pokeys tix are a gift from god, and extremely good pizza rolls (at least up here). also everyone working there is stoned out of their gourd and it was easy to buy weed there and the state college recently got shut down for a bit because one of the cooks was doing tattoos on people in the cooking station. it's the inebriated man's pizza place of choice and i desperately wish there was one where i live now

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Fifty Three posted:

This list is designed to be bad and foster arguments, how the gently caress you gonna put R U Hungry as Rutgers' best and not put Are U Hungry as Penn State's best (which it is) (an argument could be made for Big Bowl)

Also lol at Pitt being Pamela's, foh

Why am I still thinking about this

Pamela's is a dope breakfast place

also Mr. C's was way better than are u hungry and it's a drat shame they closed down during my tenure there. not for my lack of trying to keep them in business though

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want some pokey stix so loving bad but I'm also really high

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sash! posted:

I always preferred College to Canyon, though I recognize and respect Canyon's stature. There was a place on Hetzel that I can't remember the name of that I liked too. It isn't there any more anyhow.

Baby's will always be my favorite restaurant in town. I'm just glad they didn't pick loving Mad Mex.

college pizza is better but i have much better memories and stories from canyon, so it's a toss up. it's weird going to the new canyon location, it still feels like the same thing but the slight change in geography throws me off real bad. Are you thinking of Bell's greek pizza? I can't remember if that was around where you're talking about or not. That place owned and i frequently went there at 3-4 am because they'd just give out whatever was leftover at the end of the night for free to whoever happened to be around

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Gumbys rocks they had a special called the Big rear end at the one in Columbia, MO that was like 20+" and I loved eating that poo poo drunk as hell

Of course, couldn't hold a candle to Shakespeares and I was very sad to see Shakes has become a victim fo the extreme Student Luxury Apt-ification of downtown Como. They used to have a deal where you got a triple shot well drink for $3.50, such a beautiful thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mark Emmert got a contract extension

Lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mark Emmert got a contract extension

Lol

Unanimous, everyone voted for it.

Bless this mess.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Mellow is fuckin awesome and it’s our biweekly pizza night order but it cannot be the best pizza place in Austin. It just cannot. I won’t believe otherwise. It’s not even the best in Charleston.

It’s not. For New York style there’s Homeslice or little deli, there’s via 313 with Detroit style, too many brick oven/Neapolitan style to list.

I don’t think there are any deep dish places in town, Mangia was the closest but idk if there are any locations left.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was a Hungry Howies man over Gumby’s. God drat that place is good for being closer to a Pizza Hut or papa John’s.

Three cheeser pleaser with the ranch crust get the gently caress in

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Unanimous, everyone voted for it.

Bless this mess.

I worked for a slow-moving, unmodernized behemoth of an ad agency last decade, and one of the monthly rituals was the company updates where all the NYC C-levels emailed us to tell us how great they all were. Not only is Outoftouch McGee being promoted to Head of Client Relations, he's also getting the position of Head of Client Management! Susanne McClueless, our former Head of Client Relations, has transitioned to the Head of Client Analysis! We look forward to working with you during the transiti- (lays off 200 more people)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I was a Hungry Howies man over Gumby’s. God drat that place is good for being closer to a Pizza Hut or papa John’s.

Three cheeser pleaser with the ranch crust get the gently caress in

Hungry Howie's is my favorite "eat a lot of grease and nap all Sunday afternoon" pizza.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/espn_billc/status/1387401299822526467?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
SCar embracing the obvious dick jokes that come with the name is very charming imo

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

RIP Andolini's on Wentworth. There's something about pizza made by someone stoned out of their loving mind... Just so good.

edit: I used to live half a block from Norm's down near MUSC and holy poo poo was that so drat good. Gilroy's, D'All's... Charleston had some surprisingly incredible pizza.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 28, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Recently we’ve been doing our own pizza at home and that’s cool and also frustrating

I found that once I got good at actually tossing the dough so that it distributes correctly to have a thinner center and thicker edge mine started turning out much better. When toppings don't bleed off the crust onto your oven/stone it's better.

Also never forget to brush the crust with olive oil and add your favorite flavor shake to it. Garlic Salt is a good baseline, but everything shake is also real strong. A good pizza stone helps too, although my boy just got a crazy italian gas powered outdoor pizza oven that seems like its really good. I've got this parm/black garlic/truffle shake that I am going to put on my next round of ZAAAAA

Also no doubt that while pearls of mozz are fine and good for your pizza, getting your burrata on will up the quality immensely for when its fresh. I feel like for leftovers straight mozz is a bit more palatable cold.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LeeMajors posted:

It's not. Desano's wood fired, Aviator, Via 313, Toss, bunch of others. Apparently have had 3 new places/trailers open up in the last few months since we moved out.

I will say, on the average, the pizza up here in CT is for sure superior.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apparently Kansas might not gently caress things up from the start this time? Although it's gonna be hard for anyone there obviously.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1387428879762026503

Also...Skip Holtz is still on the table of course.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Leipold and monken would be the smartest hires they've made in more than a decade and skip holtz, uh, wouldn't be the worst? He's been pretty good aside from USF but USF was really loving bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Leipold or Monken would be really fun to add to the mix in the Big 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

SCar embracing the obvious dick jokes that come with the name is very charming imo

While I'm always good for a dick joke, Manscaped is way over the top and trying too hard here