Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It only kicks in at ~$13 million right now.

~$12M, but that's per person, so a couple can leave their kids over $24M before anything is taxed.

Not lowing the exemption limit is disappointing, but eliminating the step-up basis is a much bigger deal. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd get rid of the step-up basis without a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My mom is already complaining that she is going to have to pay more in taxes when she sells my grandpa's home, and that I don't know what I'm talking about... even though she's been sitting on the empty house for a year paying property taxes on it. But you know, it's Biden's fault that she'll pay more in taxes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Astro7x posted:

My mom is already complaining that she is going to have to pay more in taxes when she sells my grandpa's home, and that I don't know what I'm talking about... even though she's been sitting on the empty house for a year paying property taxes on it. But you know, it's Biden's fault that she'll pay more in taxes.

How much is the house worth?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Number_6 posted:

Is there a good website with a detailed analysis or discussion of the most likely tax changes? I have some inherited assets and these kinds of changes (stepped-up basis) could affect me substantially if there's not some exemption level or income level below which it doesn't apply. I'm counting on those assets to support my retirement some day, because who the gently caress knows what state Social Security is going to be in 20 years from now.

If I sell those assets now (or soon) in 2021, will I still be able to claim the stepped-up basis when I file my 2021 taxes next year? I would also hope there is a phase-in period or grandfathered period so it's not retroactive to transactions in 2021 which occur prior to the change in the law.

Fox News is going to be full of sob stories from "middle class" families with estates well under the normal inheritance tax thresholds that get a big tax bill because the beneficiary sold 200 shares of something that grandpa bought in 1932 that was worth $50 then and is now worth $200,000, or involve a farm or small business, etc.

I think it would be kind of wild if they retroactively eliminated the step-up basis for people who already inherited assets. I imagine these changes will apply to people who haven't died yet or maybe die in 2021. But what do I know? Nothing!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Astro7x posted:

On fairness to your Mom housing has gone up 20% in value the past year.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

VikingofRock posted:

The identification requirements on REAL IDs are insane for young people, who often might not have ready access to:

• Their birth certificate (scans, etc are not accepted)
  • A passport (can be used in lieu of a birth certificate)
  • Their social security card (duplicates not accepted)
  • A W-2 (and for fun, when I got my REAL ID in 2019, they tried to reject my 2018 W-2 because it wasn't recent enough)
  • Proof of residency (my lease wasn't recent enough, and my utility bills were in my landlord's name)

I literally don't know anyone who managed to get theirs on the first try. The whole process is clearly designed for people who have been living in one place for several years, who own their home, and who have a steady job, and anyone who deviates a little from this is likely to have trouble getting all of their documents together. I did end up getting mine, but it took several attempts throughout the afternoon. Luckily my local DMV wasn't very crowded, or else the process would have been even more frustrating.

If I may dredge this back up:

Young people, yes. But this is also a weird burden on the elderly. Because, what'll frequently happen, is they'll apply for a passport in order to receive a Real ID (probably because they want their driver's license renewed and are told they have to do it this way--whether or not that's true is beyond me.)

And, as someone pointed out, a passport or passport card IS a valid Real ID, but it's not a driver's license. So if you're under the impression that you need this stuff to get a driver's license, or if the universe/country/whatever state is actually insane enough to require your license be a Real ID, (gently caress if I know. I don't drive.) well, maybe you'll look into applying for a passport first, as an easy out.

Except

You still need a birth certificate to apply for a passport. Or at least, you need to show that you have citizenship. So you can have a passport (somewhat recursive logic here) or you can have a birth certificate, or what's functionally equivalent of a birth certificate, like a consular report of birth abroad, or other fancy pants documents that are basically differently titled consular reports of birth abroad. Or a naturalization or citizenship certificate if you migrated here.

So let's say you have a birth certificate. Great. Except:
It needs to be issued by the city, county or state of birth. It needs to have your full name at birth. It needs to have at least one parent's full name. It needs to have a signature of the registrar who filed the certificate. It needs to have been filed within one year of your birth, and it needs to have the detectable seal of the issuing authority. >phew< It looks like a long list but it's pretty reasonable on the face of it, right?

But, OK. Let's say you were born at home or whatever. So you have a birth certificate, but oopsie-doodle, it was registered two years after your birth, or your parents named you later, or whatever the gently caress. Things were different then. (They're not really different now, but that's another rant)

Well, now you need more poo poo. The poo poo you'll need is documentary evidence supporting the idea you were born in the United States around the time your birth certificate, (the document which is supposed to already establish that), says that you were. So let's say it was issued late. More than a year after your birth. Well. It can still be used if it has a signature of the birth attendant, is accompanied by an affidavit signed by one of your parents, and also by the way the documentation originally used to create the delayed certificate.

OK, don't have that? Understandable. It's a weird list. How about this. What you can submit is a collection of early records. How early? Well, you're gonna want to shoot for within the first five years of your life. So you can submit records like a baptism/christening/whatever, a family bible, other religious records, you know, if you're a good, practicing christian, but they won't be good enough on their own anyhow, so maybe don't bother unless you have the other stuff. Doctor's records of post-natal care (:lol: at getting that if you're pushing 80.) School records (Hope you remember your old school and its still open and keeps records that old), or US census records. Your parents who didn't have you in a hospital definitely still participated in the census, right? Hey, remember when I said to aim for 5 years? The US Census is conducted every 10 years.

To ease some of this burden, you can have someone like an older blood relative like a parent, older sibling or hey, maybe the physician who delivered you, fill out an affidavit swearing they have personal knowledge of your birth and it was, indeed in the US. And then submit that with some of those other impossible-to-get items. And also, you know. If any of those people are still alive. To... fill out the affidavit.

Good luck! Just be glad you were born here (so you claim) and not outside the US, or born on the nebulous border between the United States and Mexico. Then that could get complicated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a purely speculative thing I am merely floating out there for the sheer fun of contemplating:

A lot of people still have a culture of not telling their children they were adopted. Let's say you're one of those people that never knew and your (now deceased) parents never, ever told you. Maybe that's why none of the dates ever seem to line up. Hypothetically.

Imagine trying to dredge up documents for yourself, to support the idea of when you were born, for instance, but your very knowledge of the events of and around your own birth is false. How would you begin to figure that out?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purely speculatively, let's say you were in prison for 19 years, and during that time your house got taken away, and you're trying to get back on your feet, and all of your documents are gone. Which document will you apply for first, and what will you use to apply for it?

And, just for funsies, and not intended to be a political statement, do you think these purely hypothetical types of situations could apply to certain groups of people somewhat more often than certain other groups of people?

Travel between nations is one thing. But if you want to require an ID of some kind for simple day-to-day living, domestic travel, or even simply for going into loving government buildings, and then not just give that ID to people? You're a loving psychopath. gently caress the very concept of the Federal Real ID.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Veryslightlymad posted:

gently caress the very concept of the Federal Real ID.

This spells out why I said it's horrible and must be destroyed. I have no idea why it's not on any intersectional leftist spaces' radar because REAL ID for domestic flight is a ticking social time bomb waiting to go off and it's only by the grace of state governments hemming and hawing and a goddamn pandemic we've been spared it so far.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Per wikipedia:
From 2005 to 2014, the "big five" trophy species imported into the United States, totalling about 32,500 lions, elephants, rhinos, buffalo, and leopards combined, from Africa were:

Lion
African elephant
African leopard
Southern white rhinoceros
African buffalo

Humane Society International says that 3400 of those animals were elephants

I had no idea. 3,400 elephants.

Jesus loving Christ this disgusting, barbaric poo poo should be banned immediately. Trophy hunting is on the exact same tier of psychopathic evil as child abuse or torture. Seeing animal trophies in someone's house is the loving Universe telling you "get out now."

Some years ago (when my hunting buddy was still alive, RIP grandpa) I was a pretty good hunter. Every season we'd be out and about and every season we'd get two or three deer, sometimes more. Let me tell you about my one hunting trophy.

I have a set of antlers mounted from the first deer I killed when I was 12. I tracked him, stalked him, shot him, hung him, gutted and cleaned him myself. My grandpa refused to help me at all, even though he was right there. "This is your responsibility." About a week after that deer meat went in the freezer, my grandpa brought me these antlers. I was taken aback, as I'd told him I didn't want any kind of trophy.

He said, "This isn't a trophy. This is a memory and a lesson. Every time you look at it you will remember what meat really is. That what's on your plate didn't come from the store in a box or a bag but from the living wild. And you hunted it down and killed it, in pain and blood and fear, so you could keep our family fed. This is not to make you feel pride, or skill, or glory. It's to remind you of your place on this Earth and your responsibility to everything else that lives here."

That's one of those lessons you never forget.

The idea of killing something solely to show off that you killed it... gently caress me. I can't even get my brain around it. What kind of a monster do you have to be to let that idea even cross your loving mind? How impressive is it to be able to kill an animal, any animal, in 2021? It's like being proud you can make a loving phone call.

Do the trophy "hunters" (or SOMEONE) at least eat the trophy animal? Or does the meat just rot so some scumbag coward can pretend they're a hunter?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JonathonSpectre posted:

Do the trophy "hunters" (or SOMEONE) at least eat the trophy animal? Or does the meat just rot so some scumbag coward can pretend they're a hunter?

The meat going to locals is one of the favorite excuses of trophy hunters, among "it was an old animal anyways" and "the money we pay to shoot hundreds of animals pays for the habitats for thousands more to thrive."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
In addition to his infrastructure plan! :wow:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1387338745779720195

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Republicans posted:

The meat going to locals is one of the favorite excuses of trophy hunters, among "it was an old animal anyways" and "the money we pay to shoot hundreds of animals pays for the habitats for thousands more to thrive."

Yeah that's still totally unacceptable.

I have this incredible idea. What if, instead of paying to go kill an endangered animal, you paid to just go see one? You could even take these trophies called "pictures!"

I've been lucky enough in the course of my life to meet three elephants. When they look at you, someone is looking back. Some one. Anyone who could even sight in on an elephant is a snake-eyed flint-hearted piece of poo poo who should be shunned by all mankind. Being willing to pull the trigger on one? We'd all be better off without you.

Hell's gonna be hot, LaPierres! I certainly hope Lord Satan isn't listening when I say a good punishment for the first million years would be to make you two fucks elephants lying on the ground while grinning, happy monsters like yourselves pump round after agonizing round into you but are so incompetent they just... can't... kill you!

Wouldn't that just be awful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This elephant was an incel, it was never going to reproduce.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Republicans posted:

Yeah I’ve heard this a lot but it’s generally from the mouths of people who get a hard-on watching the light go out of a creature’s eyes that they can’t get buying meat from the grocery store so I view it with a whole lot of skepticism.

It’s similar to the argument that military spending is the only way to invest in basic science.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's just murderlarping for small people.

Sure, they may actually be being taken on guided "hunts" with every precaution and advantage accounted for so that it's as easy as flipping a switch, but in their head, they're an old school hunter armed with nothing but a knife that they made out of a sharp rock in a deadly game of Cat and Also Cat.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Didn't see this in recent pages, sorry if it's already been posted I don't feel the need to doomscroll as much any more for some reason (we're still hosed tho, just less so)

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/27/trump-rhetoric-capitol-rioters-legal-fight-484787

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Veryslightlymad posted:

And, as someone pointed out, a passport or passport card IS a valid Real ID, but it's not a driver's license. So if you're under the impression that you need this stuff to get a driver's license, or if the universe/country/whatever state is actually insane enough to require your license be a Real ID, (gently caress if I know. I don't drive.) well, maybe you'll look into applying for a passport first, as an easy out.

That's the thing, a passport book/card isn't a Real ID. That's especially apparent, because the passport application process couldn't give a rat's rear end about your "address of principle residence."

The Real ID act is about the minimum requirements for federal recognition of driver's licenses and ID cards that shouldn't have been allowed to have been issued by 50 different random-rear end jurisdictions in the first place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

This is technically part of the $4 trillion infrastructure plan. There is $2.2 trillion in physical infrastructure and this $1.8 trillion in what he is calling "human infrastructure" (education, elder care, and child care).

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

My view on organised and regulated trophy hunting is both that it's probably a necessary evil to aid conservation as things stand and that the people who actually pay to do it are psychopaths who should be placed on a watchlist.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

This is technically part of the $4 trillion infrastructure plan. There is $2.2 trillion in physical infrastructure and this $1.8 trillion in what he is calling "human infrastructure" (education, elder care, and child care).

So Manchin's pissed that the $4T bill he wanted isn't entirely just roads in WV with his name slapped on the side of them every mile?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I did not expect the Biden admin to go this way, treating every problem as a taxing and spending problem, because the only laws you can actually pass are taxing and spending laws.

It seems to be going pretty well! But I hope enough arms can be twisted to be rid of the filibuster anyway before too long...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The other issue with Real ID is that we could have a national ID via Social Security and passports but that wouldn't allow states to prevent people to vote so...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

Sure, they may actually be being taken on guided "hunts" with every precaution and advantage accounted for so that it's as easy as flipping a switch, but in their head, they're an old school hunter armed with nothing but a knife that they made out of a sharp rock in a deadly game of Cat and Also Cat.

Starting to think we need a irl Guild of Calamitous Intent just to keep these rich sociopaths busy and hopefully cull the herd.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

So Manchin's pissed that the $4T bill he wanted isn't entirely just roads in WV with his name slapped on the side of them every mile?

I don't think Manchin is pissed about that. His current complaint is that he wants the corporate tax rate to be a little bit lower than the Biden proposal. He's arguing that the Biden proposal takes us up to 28%, but it cuts out a lot of deductions and institutes an alternative minimum tax, so companies either pay the minimum tax rate or what they owe - whichever s higher. Manchin says that this means the effective rate will actually be going up a lot higher than the top-line rate and lowering the top-line rate would even it out to bring the effective tax rate down to where it was before the Trump tax cut.

Also, a bunch of hopes that they can find bipartisan solutions.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Chinese Gordon posted:

My view on organised and regulated trophy hunting is both that it's probably a necessary evil to aid conservation as things stand and that the people who actually pay to do it are psychopaths who should be placed on a watchlist.

Nope. It's not necessary. It's gross, harmful, and lovely and people don't need to do it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Louisiana Lawmaker Argues Schools Must Teach ‘Good’ Of Slavery

Louisiana state Rep. Ray Garofalo (R) said Tuesday public schools and universities in the state should be required to teach the "good" of slavery when discussing race, as part of a bill he proposed to ban "divisive concepts" from classrooms in the latest GOP effort taking aim at how schools are allowed to teach about race.

Garofalo, who heads the Louisiana House Education Committee, said schools should "talk about everything dealing with slavery—the good, the bad, the ugly" during a fiery committee hearing Tuesday.

His suggestion was immediately met with disgust from fellow Republican state Rep. Stephanie Hilferty, who noted, "there's no good to slavery, though."

Garofalo's bill would have banned teaching the idea that either the U.S. or Louisiana is "systematically racist or sexist," among numerous new restrictions on what could be taught in a classroom.

The bill's committee vote ended up being a 7-7 deadlock, meaning the bill will not move forward to the full House but also hasn't officially been killed.

The Louisiana Democratic Party slammed the statement as "undoubtedly" the low point of the current legislative session.

https://twitter.com/LaDemos/status/1387129763035242504

Garofalo's bill is one of several GOP proposals around the country taking aim at how race can be taught, coming after former President Donald Trump created the 1776 Commission to promote "patriotic education" as one of his final acts as president. That commission sought to promote what Trump saw as patriotic ideals, like venerating the Founding Fathers and downplaying slavery's role in U.S. history. President Joe Biden signed an executive order eliminating the 1776 Commission on his first day in office.

Still, GOP efforts persist—specifically targeting a curriculum based on The New York Times' 1619 Project, which examines U.S. history with slavery as its focal point. Trump and many fellow Republicans view the concept as an "indoctrination" of America's youth, while aspects of the 1619 Project have also come under serious criticism from highly respected historians.

The Times responded by noting it was "dismayed at some of the factual errors in the project and the closed process behind it," while still lauding it as a "praiseworthy and urgent public service." Republicans have also taken aim at critical race theory, which holds that American institutions are inherently racist since they function to create racial inequity in the United States. Garofalo’s bill would also ban teaching critical race theory.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/04/27/louisiana-lawmaker-argues-schools-must-teach-good-of-slavery/?sh=556f5a2d8cf0

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

You've got to be loving kidding me :fuckoff:

There is literally no new low the GOP can't fall to, no idiocy too stupid for them to partake in

Can't wait for the next GOP project,: The Holocaust: was it really so bad?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

I don't think Manchin is pissed about that. His current complaint is that he wants the corporate tax rate to be a little bit lower than the Biden proposal. He's arguing that the Biden proposal takes us up to 28%, but it cuts out a lot of deductions and institutes an alternative minimum tax, so companies either pay the minimum tax rate or what they owe - whichever s higher. Manchin says that this means the effective rate will actually be going up a lot higher than the top-line rate and lowering the top-line rate would even it out to bring the effective tax rate down to where it was before the Trump tax cut.

Also, a bunch of hopes that they can find bipartisan solutions.
Book tax!

Also a crosspost from the Chauvin Trial Thread since I'm sure a number of folks unbookmarked it after the verdict and during the subsequent derail:

Paracaidas posted:

One of the jurors did an interview with CBS this morning. A few notes for those who can't watch:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/1387379305068572677
  • Tobin and the MMA fighter were the most impactful witnesses to him, made it all but impossible for the defense to come back.
  • A few jurors were disappointed Chauvin didn't testify.
  • "We were just stressed about just the simple fact that everyday we had to come in and watch a Black man die. That alone is stressful."
  • Started with manslaughter and worked their way up
  • Preliminary manslaughter vote was 11-1. Holdout was wondering about a few words in the instructions. Came to consensus in 40 minutes and moved on to the next one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TulliusCicero posted:

Can't wait for the next GOP project,: The Holocaust: was it really so bad?

I'm sure there is someone out there that has said the Holocaust wasn't so bad because they got Israel out of it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I think there was a big thing a few years back about lions being raised in captivity to be handled as cubs and then shot once they become "trophy worthy", so that is another soupcon of despair.

Does anyone know how many elephants are shot and killed by trophy hunters from the US specifically, or where I could read up on Trumps relaxation of the laws surrounding "trophies".

On a brighter note they may have discovered and extinct but super huge elephant over the past few years that might well be the largest land mammal ever. If anyone would like to look there is some cool paleoart of them. They are the one at the back on the right:

Random Question: Why do Elephants have smaller tusks than their predecessors?

What's the evolutionary pressure there?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ither posted:

The longer tusks probably got stuck in the ground constantly

Thom12255 posted:

I'm sure there is someone out there that has said the Holocaust wasn't so bad because they got Israel out of it.
Also

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 28, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ither posted:

Tusk production takes resources. Eventually as things calm down and you don’t have as many apex predators, you can spend those resources elsewhere and keep the ornamental tusks to hash it out amongst the lads

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Ither posted:

Not everything is selective!!!!!!!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always love it when these people poo poo their pants over the idea of systemic racism but aren't even able to articulate the difference between "systemic" and "systematic"

Get outta here with yer book-learnin', either way it doesn't exist!!

e: like to be clear this isn't just pedantry, I can easily see some way in which they manage to demonstrate that there is no "systematic" racism in the state laws or code, i.e. there's no explicit text on the books explaining "this is how to do a racism, go forth and be racist", when the entire point of what they're denying the existence of is unconscious biases built into the everyday machinery of life; and then when someone says "Uhhh no we were talking about systemic racism" the moment will have passed and they'll be derided as nerds

Whether that would come about by malice or ignorance is an open question

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 28, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ither posted:

This doesn’t answer your question, but one of the side effects of poaching and trophy hunting is that tuskless elephants are becoming increasingly common, and if the trend continues, will eventually be the only elephants left.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
If you really are into protecting areas from elephants or just tormenting elephants in general, there are charities that help villages in rural areas get beehives which terrify elephants from interactions with people that might end badly.

These charities almost always use native honeybees too instead of the invasive European honeybees we Americans know and love.

https://elephantsandbees.com/ is the best known one if anyone's interested.

Sorry for the derail, but figured that someone might want to help out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

'Hunting' for the truly wealthy has long (hundreds of years) involved dozens or hundreds of beaters and gamekeepers guiding carefully prepared groups of game towards the hunters who can just stand around and chat while picking off the odd animal as it runs by.

I don't think there is much illusion about the primordial hunt involved.

The ease with which your wealth and power allows you to pick off a few hundred animals before going back to the picnic lunch laid out on white tablecloth with silver service is far more intoxicating.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bee stings actually bother elephants?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

If you really are into protecting areas from elephants or just tormenting elephants in general, there are charities that help villages in rural areas get beehives which terrify elephants from interactions with people that might end badly.

These charities almost always use native honeybees too instead of the invasive European honeybees we Americans know and love.

https://elephantsandbees.com/ is the best known one if anyone's interested.

Sorry for the derail, but figured that someone might want to help out.

Huh, today I learned

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

everybody's bothered by a critter capable of stinging you in the eye. this is easy to forget as an agile human because we have hands and arms to protect our sensitive bits, if you were getting swarmed by by bees then as you were fleeing you'd instinctively cover your face. lots of animals dont have that option

I wonder if elephants have a specific call for "oh gently caress! bees!"

e: lol they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhx5PMRRh8

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I doubt a bee sting can penetrate their skin on most of their body, but maybe eyes and up their nostrils could be a problem?