Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

Can confirm. I had an Americano in New York that tasted like the contents of an ashtray. Never had anything out of a Starbucks taste that bad in the UK.

i wonder if they roast lighter for other markets? ashy is their signature american taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I only started drinking coffee this year and even I knew American coffee snobs call it 'Charbucks' for its reputation for over-roasting everything.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They must have to have fire extinguishers on standby at their roasteries. I remember being told that ultra-dark roasts can spontaneously combust if not stopped soon enough.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gunder posted:

They must have to have fire extinguishers on standby at their roasteries. I remember being told that ultra-dark roasts can spontaneously combust if not stopped soon enough.

That’s not spontaneous. That’s just heating something past it’s ignition point. So just regular old burning something and starting it on fire. Like leaving toast in a toaster for 4x too long. It’s all well controllable, but they roast it so dark it’s nearly at its burn point. So it’s a problem of their own sugary syrupy making.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starbucks has something called a "blonde roast" that is supposedly not burnt to a crisp. But when I asked the barista they said it was bitter af. Starbucks is great for milkshakes and those little egg bits with bacon pieces. Stick to that.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I used to go to the Starbucks in my office building when it was raining/lovely out, and the blonde roast does taste better than the burnt stuff but it rots my stomach. This is the only coffee that does that to me; light roasts from good coffee shops are fine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Starbucks has something called a "blonde roast" that is supposedly not burnt to a crisp. But when I asked the barista they said it was bitter af. Starbucks is great for milkshakes and those little egg bits with bacon pieces. Stick to that.

yeah their blonde is basically what everyone else would consider a dark roast, just light relative to all their other stuff

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Bandire posted:

I've gone back an forth between the Elizabeth, Silvia Pro, and the Pro 300. Since they are all basically the same price, I'd really rather have the added features of the Elizabeth.

Yeah, those added features are worth the wait, IMO.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah the Starbucks Blonde makes a perfectly forgettable latte, which is more than I can say about their standard roast.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So is the Silvia dual boiler actually good? I thought the good dual boilers didn't cost less than about $2000.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Gunder posted:

So is the Silvia dual boiler actually good? I thought the good dual boilers didn't cost less than about $2000.

Its pretty new to the market, but I haven't seen anything negative about it. The Pro 300 is pretty highly thought of in that price range. And this video right here of a guy making 6 lattes (2 at a time) back to back on the Elizabeth is what sold me on it being plenty for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODor1Z6oBY&t=317s

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Dren posted:

Thank you all for the suggestions. The breville looks nice and the bellman interests me but I'm concerned that it has no pressure indicator. How do you know when it's hot enough?

The safety valve/overpressure valve is very effective at relieving overpressure and indicating maximum pressure has been achieved

I usually achieve pressure at a medium setting on the stove and when it starts overpressure I lower it to maintain pressure

I can take a video of you would like

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Welp, my reusable Nespresso coffee pods seem to have broken the Nespresso. Woops! Won't even start a descaling cycle. Luckily I still have the mocha pot I bought a while back.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

yep, I've had the medium-dark as a coffee before. It's my go-to coffee. I'm using tap water. My tap water has a low TDS with a noticeable chlorine taste. It'd probably improve if I filtered it or whipped up some coffee specific water. I got into making my own mineral water earlier in quarantine and one of the water recipes is for coffee, it's improved the cup in a non-scientific test where I didn't tri-cup it or whatever hoffmann calls that thing where there's three cups. I'll check out that vid on cupping too.

I'd suggest getting one of those Brita tanks:
https://www.amazon.ca/Brita-UltraMax-Filter-Dispenser-Replacement/dp/B00009LHZH

They've worked pretty well for me so far.

I've been having issues with uneven extraction on a 17g dose, so it's either my grounds or my tamping that needs work. Still a better shot than the last try, but now I have something to work on.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dren posted:

yep, I've had the medium-dark as a coffee before. It's my go-to coffee. I'm using tap water. My tap water has a low TDS with a noticeable chlorine taste. It'd probably improve if I filtered it or whipped up some coffee specific water. I got into making my own mineral water earlier in quarantine and one of the water recipes is for coffee, it's improved the cup in a non-scientific test where I didn't tri-cup it or whatever hoffmann calls that thing where there's three cups. I'll check out that vid on cupping too.
Brewing with decent water made a massive difference to my coffee. I filter 2 litres of my tap water through a Zero Water reverse-osmosis filter jug, which effectively turns it into pure H20, and then remineralise it by adding a sachet of Third Wave Water powder. It produces water that properly extracts my coffee in a way that my tap water can't come close to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Welp, my reusable Nespresso coffee pods seem to have broken the Nespresso. Woops! Won't even start a descaling cycle. Luckily I still have the mocha pot I bought a while back.

Correction,

I unplugged the machine and tried rotating it around over the sink and oil black stuff came out of it. After it stopped coming out I wiped it down and plugged it back in and it turned on and started pumping for about 5 seconds then cut power and the magic smoke came out of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correction,

I unplugged the machine and tried rotating it around over the sink and oil black stuff came out of it. After it stopped coming out I wiped it down and plugged it back in and it turned on and started pumping for about 5 seconds then cut power and the magic smoke came out of it.

oof, that sounds like it seized the motor or something given the weight of the reusable pods (if you're using the steel ones), you might be able to get it replaced by the manufacturer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm just gonna get a real expresso machine because those pods were honestly about as much work as working a real one.

Is Breville Barista Express still the go-to for entry level real expresso?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thread has convinced me to take my machine in for its long needed service--scads of internal seals got old dry and broken. Looking forward to a nice macchiato again

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm just gonna get a real expresso machine because those pods were honestly about as much work as working a real one.

Is Breville Barista Express still the go-to for entry level real expresso?

What sort of espresso do you want to make? Dark roast, medium, light? Milk drinks?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gunder posted:

What sort of espresso do you want to make? Dark roast, medium, light? Milk drinks?

Medium through light mixed with milk.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

Brewing with decent water made a massive difference to my coffee. I filter 2 litres of my tap water through a Zero Water reverse-osmosis filter jug, which effectively turns it into pure H20, and then remineralise it by adding a sachet of Third Wave Water powder. It produces water that properly extracts my coffee in a way that my tap water can't come close to.

Yeah I have a zero water for the mineral water i was making. the difference is i was mixing my own minerals instead of buying a packet but same concept. it did taste better i just haven’t been taking the effort lately.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Medium through light mixed with milk.

Just so you're aware, light roasts are pretty difficult to extract properly without a decent espresso grinder and machine. If you aim to do it properly, you might easily spend over $1000. I have no experience with the Barista Express, but the more expensive Barista Pro definitely can't get hot enough to extract a light roast properly. Medium and darker roasts are much easier to extract, and if you're happy to limit yourself to those options, you can buy much less expensive equipment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
changing the mineral content of your water can absolutely change the flavour of your cup

the idea that it's materially affecting how the extraction happens though is pretty much magical thinking. there are more minerals in the coffee already than are in anyone's tap water

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gunder posted:

Just so you're aware, light roasts are pretty difficult to extract properly without a decent espresso grinder and machine. If you aim to do it properly, you might easily spend over $1000. I have no experience with the Barista Express, but the more expensive Barista Pro definitely can't get hot enough to extract a light roast properly. Medium and darker roasts are much easier to extract, and if you're happy to limit yourself to those options, you can buy much less expensive equipment.

I went ahead and ordered the Breville. I don't think I have any light beans so I should be okay if it's not capable of that.

All the reviews I saw for this machine looked like it can happily handle what I want and was the most affordable option. I guess I'll see if I like it.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

I've found light roasts very annoying to get good extraction on, I definitely have to bump the temperature or grind so fine the shot slowly dribbles out. I can get decent coffee, but drat it is hard to dial in sometimes. I also feel like I end up with coffees where I can't possibly pull a good non-sour shot from it. I do end up using all the coffee up before I finish tweaking it though, maybe I really need to boost the temp and grind to the point where its taking forever to pull the shot, idk

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sweeper posted:

I've found light roasts very annoying to get good extraction on, I definitely have to bump the temperature or grind so fine the shot slowly dribbles out. I can get decent coffee, but drat it is hard to dial in sometimes. I also feel like I end up with coffees where I can't possibly pull a good non-sour shot from it. I do end up using all the coffee up before I finish tweaking it though, maybe I really need to boost the temp and grind to the point where its taking forever to pull the shot, idk

What sort of basket are you using? Getting a nice VST or IMS basket can allow you to grind a lot finer without choking the shots.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

depending on how light we're talking they can be harder to grind too

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mediaphage posted:

changing the mineral content of your water can absolutely change the flavour of your cup

the idea that it's materially affecting how the extraction happens though is pretty much magical thinking. there are more minerals in the coffee already than are in anyone's tap water

That's interesting. My coffee tastes a lot better with the treated water than without. It tastes pretty hollow with the standard tap water. I also live in an area that has some of the softest tap water in the world (Glasgow) with a TDS reading of around 20 most of the time, so I guess changing it to be around 147 TDS will affect the taste.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gunder posted:

That's interesting. My coffee tastes a lot better with the treated water than without. It tastes pretty hollow with the standard tap water. I also live in an area that has some of the softest tap water in the world (Glasgow) with a TDS reading of around 20 most of the time, so I guess changing it to be around 147 TDS will affect the taste.

also in some relatively unscientific experiments i've done recently, i find it will vary on a bean-to-bean basis. some roasts i do will actually taste better with straight RO

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

What sort of basket are you using? Getting a nice VST or IMS basket can allow you to grind a lot finer without choking the shots.

I got a vst recently, had a lot better luck with my last light roast. Need to run more through it to see if it helps in the general case though.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I went ahead and ordered the Breville. I don't think I have any light beans so I should be okay if it's not capable of that.

All the reviews I saw for this machine looked like it can happily handle what I want and was the most affordable option. I guess I'll see if I like it.

Have one myself, it's a fantastic machine that comes with a good built in grinder. Once you've had enough practice it's pretty fast to get a great tasting latte out first thing in the morning.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I got my generic non-pressurized basket and bottomless portafilter for my junk De'Longhi machine, and much to my surprise it handles it pretty well. These beans that were giving almost zero crema in the pressurized basket now almost make something resembling espresso.

This at least gives me something to tinker with until the Elizabeth is back in stock anywhere. It makes an absolute goddamn mess trying to grind directly into it with my Sette, but that's not unexpected.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

paberu posted:

Have one myself, it's a fantastic machine that comes with a good built in grinder. Once you've had enough practice it's pretty fast to get a great tasting latte out first thing in the morning.

Amazon delivered the device.

I went through more than a few cups dialing things in. I had to make some macro grinder adjustments to get the pressure in the right range. I might still have to make some more because it's a little on the lower end of the expresso gauge.

That said, it's probably about as fast as my Nespresso to use this one. And this is a way more compact package than the three separate devices that I had before with the Nespresso itself the grinder and the milk frother.

I almost burned myself on the steamer by grabbing the metal portion instead of the plastic handle. So that was a big brain moment there. I'm not entirely sure about the technique for using the steaming wand, I more just blew a bunch of bubbles in my milk rather than making a froth. But it did heat it up to the temperature I was looking for.

I do like how I have the option to make a single or double with either a pressurized or unpressurized basket. So when my parents come around they can use the pressurized one and not have to fuss around with getting the right pressure. The hot water outlet is nice as well since I can use it to make an Americano or just some hot chocolate.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 30, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the hot water on the breville is one of my favourite features and underrated imo

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Amazon delivered the device.

I went through more than a few cups dialing things in. I had to make some macro grinder adjustments to get the pressure in the right range. I might still have to make some more because it's a little on the lower end of the expresso gauge.

That said, it's probably about as fast as my Nespresso to use this one. And this is a way more compact package than the three separate devices that I had before with the Nespresso itself the grinder and the milk frother.

I almost burned myself on the steamer by grabbing the metal portion instead of the plastic handle. So that was a big brain moment there. I'm not entirely sure about the technique for using the steaming wand, I more just blew a bunch of bubbles in my milk rather than making a froth. But it did heat it up to the temperature I was looking for.

I do like how I have the option to make a single or double with either a pressurized or unpressurized basket. So when my parents come around they can use the pressurized one and not have to fuss around with getting the right pressure. The hot water outlet is nice as well since I can use it to make an Americano or just some hot chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMgB61WyvE

That video taught me how to steam milk. It's great.

Edit: I'd also recommend buying a milk thermometer, so you know when to stop heating the milk. People will tell you that you should keep going until the base of the pitcher becomes too hot to touch, but that's very variable from person to person. In my case, it lead to me stopping about 5-10 seconds sooner than I should have been.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

Edit: I'd also recommend buying a milk thermometer, so you know when to stop heating the milk. People will tell you that you should keep going until the base of the pitcher becomes too hot to touch, but that's very variable from person to person. In my case, it lead to me stopping about 5-10 seconds sooner than I should have been.

I’ve also found that results differ quite significantly between my thinwall el cheapo ikea pitcher and my could-break-man’s-skull-and-make-perfect-if-slightly-reddish-latte-art-after Motta.

In other news, if you have a spare three kilobucks lying around, would like to grind a shot in under four seconds and enjoy the thought of owning flat burrs the size of a compact disc, Option-O got you covered:

https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-p100

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ok so I tried a couple of things this week: ground finer (~50 on the JX) and poured faster than I had been.

I'm pretty consistently coming in around 3:15 now without much slowdown until the very end of the pour over and making some pretty good cups. I think a big part of it was just being too careful about pouring with the gooseneck. I was worried pouring a bit more aggressively would agitate it too much and cause fines to settle at the bottom more quickly, causing it to clog up, but it seems to make the whole process a lot more even when I just pour at full-speed without really worrying about it.

I'll keep tweaking things here and there but y'all's advice has helped a lot. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think a big part of it was just being too careful about pouring with the gooseneck.

i had this issue when i first started doing pourovers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, getting the right pour height and flow rate makes a big difference.