Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I like good art styles. There's bad pixel art and there's bad 3D art. Categorizing them as modern vs old is kinda not doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Megazver posted:

Like, in general? No, I've met people who were genuinely angry at games for having 'old art' and devs being lazy because they didn't want to make their game 3D. So you've got company.

It's not great company, but oh well.

Oh, I don't get mad at devs for using pixel art, and I know good pixel art takes a huge amount of effort and is not a lazy path. I'm not even looking for fancy 3d graphics - I think both Airport CEO's art style and Rimworld's art style are great and either would be a better fit for Let's Make a Zoo.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm OK with pixel art, but please don't render your text in some barely readable equivalent. I'm looking at you Of Mice and Sand.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Pixel art is good. I'd rather a game have bad pixel art than bad 3d models.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Azhais posted:

If I'm in the mood for pixel art I whip out the ol NES emulator and play some final fantasy. For the most part I avoid pixel art (and cell shaded) games otherwise.

I really need a compelling reason to put up with it in modern games. Like I played Stardew for a little while just cause my brother wanted to do multiplayer.

I played Stardew Valley because it is a very good game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Pixel art is fine, but that zoo game honestly looks like a bunch of RPGMaker assets. Animals look cute I guess, but everything else has that very generic and undetailed quality about it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

grate deceiver posted:

Pixel art is fine, but that zoo game honestly looks like a bunch of RPGMaker assets. Animals look cute I guess, but everything else has that very generic and undetailed quality about it
Well they did say they were going for that Bullfrog Theme park look. Heyoooooo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I want to post a shoutout to Kingdoms Reborn because I'm not seeing it discussed much anywhere but it impressed me. It's a very gamified style of management game or city builder in a neat way. I've been seeing it in the Steam store for months and been interested just because it was a Very Positive rated city builder but every time I clicked on it my eyes just kind of glazed over because it looked like every other city builder based on the Steam page. Last night I read the reviews and everyone was talking about how it's a very fresh take on city builders but didn't explain much of what makes it fresh... so I went ahead and bought it and played for 4 hours straight. Then woke up today and fired it up first thing and kept playing :shrug:

It's like Banished meets Settlers of Catan meets Civilization. Failure spirals are possible so there's a bit of a learning curve at first (I had to restart 2 failed cities) but once you figure out the systems and what to prioritize, it really expands and there's a crazy amount of depth here. There are layers and layers and layers of mechanics stacked on top of each other in ways that make it hard to describe one without having to describe several others. It has some boardgame-style rules, primarily cards:

To place a building you need to have its card in your hand. Every however many seconds you gain a "draw" which you can save up (max 5 held) or use right away, which presents you with 5 cards, each with a gold cost. You can purchase as many of those five cards as you want, or pay to reroll them, or skip the draw. Saving up more than 5 draws at once converts 5 into a "wildcard" which can be used to place any unlocked building. There's also a maximum number of cards that you can hold in your hand - and as you might imagine there are also cards that do things other than build.

Instead of playing in one small region you play on a large world map full of lots of tiny regions, you can zoom out for a kingdom-level overview or zoom way in to look directly at your people and what they're doing. There are also AI players who are running their own cities and competing against you. Some cards you draw will let you do things like call 5 new immigrants to your city, or sell off half of your city's food stockpile, or spend half of your gold buying wood, etc. Other cards let you aggressively target the other players by doing things like stealing gold or population or regions/territory/cities from them. You also spend gold (or Influence) to purchase additional regions and add them to your city.

There are even more cards which are buffs that can be placed on certain buildings. Your town center has an improvable number of card slots that can hold global buff cards, like gaining 30 income each turn (the game is real time, but lots of things work on a tick-based turns system - a 'turn' is I think two seasons?), or fisheries gaining increased productivity from high morale. There are also industry work cards, and many industry buildings can hold two of them - they do things like granting a productivity boost to that specific building, or making it use input resources more efficiently, or increasing job satisfaction.

There are military buildings as well, I haven't started building them yet but I don't think there's any actual 'combat' except for taking aggressive actions through cards - like the archers barracks for example essentially sounds like an industry building that produces influence.

And then there's the way that new features are unlocked - the game is smart about the way it rolls new features out to the player in a way that makes it easy to learn while still maintaining complexity. There are obviously-presented milestones like reaching certain population levels, building x number of houses, reaching new eras of research, etc and you're told very plainly that completing them unlocks new game features. They're big, gamey features - like for example you only have general, unwieldy, open-air storage tiles until the third era. Before that point, managing your storage is hectic. They're limited in size, constrained to multiples of 2 tiles, you can't filter them or select what goes into them, you just need to make sure that there are enough storage tiles spread around to contain everything. Then you hit the third era and finally research warehouses. One warehouse is the equivalent of 30 storage tiles but only takes up like 6x as much space, so it's a huge deal! Well, unlocking them also unlocks the ability to designate a specific warehouse for an industry to output to. So managing storage is 'easy' (just build a lot!) at first while you learn/battle the other systems and make sure you can produce enough food/houses/medicine, then it lets you ease into fine-tuning your logistics when you get there.

I don't know if this description does it justice, but in essence it is a very game-ified city builder, in a way that just works. It's not trying to be a "simulation" city builder, if that makes sense. The core gameplay loop is boardgame-style gamey and precisely, deliberately designed to make it hectic and constantly enjoyable, it cuts out long waiting periods of just doing nothing that other city builders throw at you, and it forces you to live in the moment because the card system combined with your limited hand and time-based draws means that you can't always just build exactly what you need, - when you urgently need another forester you don't just place one then sit back and wait again, you need to actively be shuffling through cards trying to find one, and in the meantime be making trades with other civs or wandering traders for the wood that you need to survive the upcoming winter. It also prevents you from planning too far ahead because your hand is limited - sure I can buy that Iron Mine card now but I'm still years away from stretching my territory over to the nearby Iron so it will just be holding up a spot in my hand until then - but when I finally make it there how long is it going to take me to find an iron mine card?

Anyway it's still in Early Access and I'm too new to it to know how close to their final vision it is or whatever but this is a very enjoyable game that, like all of the steam reviews say, is a very fresh and unique take on city builders.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 28, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Railway Empire franchise is on sale on Steam. I've never played any of them - worth a shot?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oldstench posted:

The Railway Empire franchise is on sale on Steam. I've never played any of them - worth a shot?

Def worth it imo I had a lot of fun with Railway Empire

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kvlt! posted:

Def worth it imo I had a lot of fun with Railway Empire

:same:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Can anyone recommend a decent browser-based management game I can play while convincing myself I'm going to get to work any minute now?

Something like villagerkings.com

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I want to post a shoutout to Kingdoms Reborn because I'm not seeing it discussed much anywhere but it impressed me. It's a very gamified style of management game or city builder in a neat way.

Wishlisted it but gonna wait till it's outta E.A. I'm not normally a fan of games that use cards as a central part of gameplay but this looks good and promising.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

frogge posted:

Wishlisted it but gonna wait till it's outta E.A. I'm not normally a fan of games that use cards as a central part of gameplay but this looks good and promising.

I just want Banished 2.0! This game looks neat, but I don't want the random aspect of cards in my management.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just want Banished 2.0! This game looks neat, but I don't want the random aspect of cards in my management.

Endzone is very close to Banished, IIRC

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I did not enjoy Kingdoms Reborn, and I was someone who wanted Banished 2.0.

Cards as a game mechanic can be fun, but I think having important supply chain links gated behind semi-random card pulls is probably a bad idea.

it's fine in Slay the Spire, if I don't get an attack or defense, maybe I get something else cool

Let's say I have a forest, a timber mill, and a furniture maker, but no log cutter. cool, i have 3 dead cards, while I wait for a fourth card.

I can imagine a game where it might work, but this was not one. Also, I didn't like the 'scale' of the game, it felt that it was far too zoomed out. I don't know that a single city in the middle ages could really exploit an area that's supposed to be roughly Europe.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent browser-based management game I can play while convincing myself I'm going to get to work any minute now?

Something like villagerkings.com

https://scriptwelder.itch.io/waterworks

I played this awhile back, it seemed fun for a few.

Grevlek posted:

I did not enjoy Kingdoms Reborn, and I was someone who wanted Banished 2.0.

Cards as a game mechanic can be fun, but I think having important supply chain links gated behind semi-random card pulls is probably a bad idea.

it's fine in Slay the Spire, if I don't get an attack or defense, maybe I get something else cool

Let's say I have a forest, a timber mill, and a furniture maker, but no log cutter. cool, i have 3 dead cards, while I wait for a fourth card.

I can imagine a game where it might work, but this was not one. Also, I didn't like the 'scale' of the game, it felt that it was far too zoomed out. I don't know that a single city in the middle ages could really exploit an area that's supposed to be roughly Europe.

I feel like the card system is kind of fun to begin with, but you quickly reach a point where you're constantly getting wildcards so it stops really being a thing.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The new Evil Genius 2 patch is cool and good. They addressed a lot of the pacing issues and game plays faster as a result. I’m going into 6 hour trances playing the thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

skooma512 posted:

The new Evil Genius 2 patch is cool and good. They addressed a lot of the pacing issues and game plays faster as a result. I’m going into 6 hour trances playing the thing.

Yeah I bounced off it at launch but came back for this new patch and am having a blast. The changes to the world map alone make that whole part of the game a lot easier to understand.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

deep dish peat moss posted:

I want to post a shoutout to Kingdoms Reborn because I'm not seeing it discussed much anywhere but it impressed me.

I don't know if this description does it justice, but in essence it is a very game-ified city builder, in a way that just works. It's not trying to be a "simulation" city builder, if that makes sense. The core gameplay loop is boardgame-style gamey and precisely, deliberately designed to make it hectic and constantly enjoyable, it cuts out long waiting periods of just doing nothing that other city builders throw at you, and it forces you to live in the moment because the card system combined with your limited hand and time-based draws means that you can't always just build exactly what you need, - when you urgently need another forester you don't just place one then sit back and wait again, you need to actively be shuffling through cards trying to find one, and in the meantime be making trades with other civs or wandering traders for the wood that you need to survive the upcoming winter. It also prevents you from planning too far ahead because your hand is limited - sure I can buy that Iron Mine card now but I'm still years away from stretching my territory over to the nearby Iron so it will just be holding up a spot in my hand until then - but when I finally make it there how long is it going to take me to find an iron mine card?

Anyway it's still in Early Access and I'm too new to it to know how close to their final vision it is or whatever but this is a very enjoyable game that, like all of the steam reviews say, is a very fresh and unique take on city builders.

It is a wild concept of a game made manifest. It is truly the competitive city builder balanced for multiplayer. I've watched about 20 hours of stream content there and it is deep, but hilariously poorly balanced, but you can see where the buff and nerf levels will be. I am serious when I say this game has the Starcraft: Brood War tight build order precision in mechanics. The card system solves APM balance by acting as an action limiter. The pace is mapped to like multiplayer mapgame so games are ment to be played in like an 8hr stream or a regular weekly 2hr commitment. All the while, combat hasn't been developed. You win wars by having more number points. The core focus is competitive colony builder.

But that's the rub. Fuckin lmao at finding 2-8 other people at the same time ready for that in a still in development game. But I'm keeping my eyes on Kingdoms: Reborn because this game is dope for my kind of serial restarter early game optimizer. This game would be the true kung fu fight test of skill against people in this very thread.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

But I'm keeping my eyes on Kingdoms: Reborn because this game is dope for my kind of serial restarter early game optimizer.

This is exactly why I enjoyed it I think, I do the same thing in every game ever and in K:R there are actually decisions to make and challenges to overcome right from the get-go and that's rad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DurosKlav posted:

I feel like the card system is kind of fun to begin with, but you quickly reach a point where you're constantly getting wildcards so it stops really being a thing.
I also remember once you get stable, lacking the card you wanted pretty much disappeared.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

skeleton warrior posted:

It was fine. It had resources to gather and numbers to watch and manage. I finished the campaign maybe last year, and I don't remember anything about it other than having a fine but not particularly compelling time.

The plot is amazingly stupid, though. It may be worth it for that. The voice acting in the final scene... well, they make choices that I sure as hell wouldn't, that's all I'll say.

edit: also, holy crap animal splicing game, that looks insane

Finally got around to it.
  • Subtitles, when enabled, don't work. At all.
  • The mouse is consistently offset because of a UE4 bug that every other UE4-engine game has managed to fix but that the Aven Colony devs couldn't.
I shut it off after finishing the tutorial and I probably don't care enough to come back.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can anyone recommend good Rimworld or ACS videos? Started watching LPs over lunch recently and those games seem likely to produce entertaining watching.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

LLSix posted:

Can anyone recommend good Rimworld or ACS videos? Started watching LPs over lunch recently and those games seem likely to produce entertaining watching.

Pete Complete has one complete and one in progress Rimworld series that are really good.

I would also like to know about any ACS stuff, I wanna get back into it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LLSix posted:

ambiguoussamphibians Rimworld videos arent great for learning but are A+ for entertainment. Dude cracks me up.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'd like a railroad game that's basically a track laying sandbox. Laying out tracks in different routes across terrain and watching trains go. Like model trains but digital. Any recommendations?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If he plays it, Josh/Let's Game It Out would have a field day with that splice system making abominations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

If he plays it, Josh/Let's Game It Out would have a field day with that splice system making abominations.

Let's Build A Zoo Is A Perfectly Balanced Game With No Exploits

Thumbnail is a picture of an inexplicable cross between a bulldog and YORKSHIRE TEA, with the red glowing lens flare eyes

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'd like a railroad game that's basically a track laying sandbox. Laying out tracks in different routes across terrain and watching trains go. Like model trains but digital. Any recommendations?

this maybe? https://dr-whoop.itch.io/tracks

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Transport Fever 2 with cheat mods.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Volmarias posted:

Let's Build A Zoo Is A Perfectly Balanced Game With No Exploits

Thumbnail is a picture of an inexplicable cross between a bulldog and YORKSHIRE TEA, with the red glowing lens flare eyes

Nah. It would be a picture of The Queen holding a cross between a corgi and a badger. Otherwise your thumbnail description is 100% on point.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nielsm posted:

Transport Fever 2 with cheat mods.

Don't need cheat mods, just go into the map editor and you have unlimited money and can place cities and terrain and whatever else

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

That looks exactly like what I had in mind. Thanks!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

OpenTTD if you’re a gigantic nerd. (It’s me, the gigantic nerd who has spent hours optimizing a 3-track main line into 2-track spur interchange.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

OpenTTD if you’re a gigantic nerd. (It’s me, the gigantic nerd who has spent hours optimizing a 3-track main line into 2-track spur interchange.)

Would suggest the same, not least because the nearly nonexistent system requirements lend well to the sort of background/side running that "model train table" lends well to.
Now if only I could remember station and intersection design from the last time I played lver a year ago, we'd be golden...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LLSix posted:

I enjoy Rhadamant, Decoherent and Pete Completes. They all have pleasant ways of talking and are just amusing enough. Ambiguousamphibian is hilarious but not quite the same thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saw this ad on FB and thought this thread would get a kick out of it

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Kvlt! posted:

Saw this ad on FB and thought this thread would get a kick out of it

Leave the gun, take the spumoni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've just been transported back to my days playing Railworks on my Apple ][+. I assume it's been surpassed.