Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

surf rock posted:

I heard that, on release, the game had a lot of performance issues and bugs on PS4. Is that still right? Should I wait to play it until I've got a PS5, or is that having the same issues?
I picked it up on release, stopped playing as it was a bit of a chore, and started playing again a couple of days ago and it is a much better experience. The main thing I've noticed is that selecting things and interacting with the world works solidly now and feels good where as previously half the time interactions wouldn't stick and the controls felt very airy.

Edit: This is all on PS5, don't have specific PS4 experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

surf rock posted:

I heard that, on release, the game had a lot of performance issues and bugs on PS4. Is that still right? Should I wait to play it until I've got a PS5, or is that having the same issues?

Yeah it's much better on PS4 now, I put it down for a while because of the bugs but picked it back up after they released some patches and promptly beat it 3 times in a row. It still crashes a lot unfortunately, definitely get in the habit of manually saving fairly often (especially before entering/exiting a door to a new area).

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Amazing

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

They did a really good job fixing the things that made it rough to play on PS5 (and PS4 I think). Like it had a lot of issues but they actually provided real fixes and tweaks to how it controls. I played through on PS5 and it’s totally playable.

Tip: use R1 to interact with stuff, not X. That way you can highlight things with the right stick and interact with them without having to lift your thumb.

Also one of the things they never tell you that was a game changer for me is that if you highlight any object on the screen and DOUBLE-TAP the interact button (R1), you’ll automatically run to it and interact instead of walking painfully slowly.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

This thread is over. Give that man the $10,000.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The first one I saw was like a year ago where Homer has a piece of paper saying "always do the opposite of what EC says," but I lost it somewhere.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1hGOtvflk
This game this game this game this game

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i'm currently wondering if i should put levels into thoughts or skills. Is it owrth going extremely high into physical instrument/electro-chemistry/inland empire/half light? i'm really enjoying it just not sure those vs getting a though. currently at 0 drama/rhetoric and -1 savoir faire lol

If you're really trying to min/max, many thoughts can often be worth more stats than single individual skill upgrades that cost the same. But not all thoughts are created equal, and some will never "pay off" in certain respects. If you're enjoying your playthrough, though, there's no need to worry about what decisions are correct, because all decisions are entertaining!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would say, and I'm just throwing out one strategy here, identify six primary skills and six secondary skills. Get them both to six, then bump the primary ones to 8, ignore your other skills and spend the rest on the Thought Cabinet/bumping up the occasional skill as needed to unlock any checks if you want, whatever do what you want.

This should get you a pretty good spread of passive checks without too much of a focus on min-maxing while leaving ample content for another playthrough.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Are the lieutenant's Conceptualization skills rudimentary? Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

Are the lieutenant's Conceptualization skills rudimentary? Discuss.

Kim's Conceptualization score must be way higher than Harry's. Cause this observation was trash, while "Daba-doop-doop-dead" was art.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Kim's Conceptualization score must be way higher than Harry's. Cause this observation was trash, while "Daba-doop-doop-dead" was art.

"Give me a comical amount of conceptualization." Roonie the Motherfucker.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that's wit, which is as much reaction speed in this case. Kim went all in on Authority and Volition, to the point that he was able to shut Harry down utterly with a single eyebrow raise

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Do completed thoughts ever pipe up like skills do?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cheston posted:

Do completed thoughts ever pipe up like skills do?

Not speaking to you directly, like skills do. But they'll indirectly speak through Harry by making more dialogue options available. The feminist thought is a pretty good example.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Do you actually have to internalize the thought for that? For some of them unlocking them seems to be enough

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

The first one I saw was like a year ago where Homer has a piece of paper saying "always do the opposite of what EC says," but I lost it somewhere.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Is the ps5 version stable now? My friend wants to buy it, but I don’t know how buggy it is on ps5 right now and don’t want to lead her astray if it still needs major patching.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

coolusername posted:

Is the ps5 version stable now? My friend wants to buy it, but I don’t know how buggy it is on ps5 right now and don’t want to lead her astray if it still needs major patching.

Yes, I completed the game on PS5. Almost all of the major bugs are ironed out and it feels like how it’s supposed to. The only major annoyance is the very small text on item descriptions and the thought cabinet, and a fix is supposedly forthcoming for that. All the dialogue is perfectly legible on a TV. If she wants to play it, it’s in a state where I would recommend it, even if more patches are still in development.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Most of the specific problems on PS5 are now addressed, so stuff like not being able to interact with the car is fixed, etc. What remains is a couple of what I think are camera glitches that sometimes softlock the game (although you can "fix" these by saving, quitting, and reloading, or rebooting the game if they happen a lot) and one in every 50 or so screen transitions will cause a crash to dashboard.

Also, the "text size" slider still does not change the size of any text.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lisztless posted:

Yes, I completed the game on PS5. Almost all of the major bugs are ironed out and it feels like how it’s supposed to. The only major annoyance is the very small text on item descriptions and the thought cabinet, and a fix is supposedly forthcoming for that. All the dialogue is perfectly legible on a TV. If she wants to play it, it’s in a state where I would recommend it, even if more patches are still in development.

Counterpoint on PS4. This week I've had the most bugs yet. There's a bug on the main menu where the controller is completely non-responsive, save to go back to the PlayStation home screen. Can't select, can't move the cursor, no way to start the game. Had to uninstall and reinstall, and it will still bug out. Another bug two days ago froze my character in place after interacting with any orb or my character menu. I had to QS and load to get around it, but it would pop up the very next orb. Supremely annoying.

Granted, the 1.07 hot fix seemed to help, but this week was the worst week, and I've been playing since launch.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Counterpoint on PS4. This week I've had the most bugs yet. There's a bug on the main menu where the controller is completely non-responsive, save to go back to the PlayStation home screen. Can't select, can't move the cursor, no way to start the game. Had to uninstall and reinstall, and it will still bug out. Another bug two days ago froze my character in place after interacting with any orb or my character menu. I had to QS and load to get around it, but it would pop up the very next orb. Supremely annoying.

Granted, the 1.07 hot fix seemed to help, but this week was the worst week, and I've been playing since launch.

I hear that. I was surprised to see the PS4 version getting patches that the PS5 version isn’t, and it sounds like that version still isn’t stable enough yet. On PS5, I think 1.3 was the big one which changed the lighting issues and made the controls more responsive, and I restarted the game when that came out.

I did have a funny moment trying to savescum a check with the light bending mega rich guy where it failed to load my equipment, so I wound up talking to him naked. That scene is kinda surreal so I didn’t think too much of it. Then it crashed on the next screen transition. Only when I reloaded did I realize that losing my clothes was not intended behavior. (And yet perfectly in character anyway.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Do you actually have to internalize the thought for that? For some of them unlocking them seems to be enough

Probably depends on the thought. Some will be different depending on whether you've just internalised them or completed them, apparently. Advanced Race Theory does about what you'd expect.

Random note: Found it funny that Kim is so concerned about Harry (re)learning about the Pale due to him possibly losing his poo poo further over existential dread, but joke's on him because the protagonist is basically Monty Burns Syndrome with existential dread as it is. Especially if you've been raving about the apocalypse since you woke up.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 29, 2021

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably depends on the thought. Some will be different depending on whether you've just internalised them or completed them, apparently. Advanced Race Theory does about what you'd expect.

Random note: Found it funny that Kim is so concerned about Harry (re)learning about the Pale due to him possibly losing his poo poo further over existential dread, but joke's on him because the protagonist is basically Monty Burns Syndrome with existential dread as it is. Especially if you've been raving about the apocalypse since you woke up.

Most thoughts will change their effects once you've completed the internalization. The second stage of effects is usually more beneficial than the temporary ones you get while internalizing. There are some that don't follow that system at all but that seems like how it goes most of the time.

Looking up thought effects was the only thing I used an internet guide for.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Yeah, I bought the PS4 version last night, but I had a really weird bug where I could only interact with one thing in the starting room and it was just some flavor text. A bunch of stuff showed as interactable, but neither X nor R1 worked. :(

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

surf rock posted:

Yeah, I bought the PS4 version last night, but I had a really weird bug where I could only interact with one thing in the starting room and it was just some flavor text. A bunch of stuff showed as interactable, but neither X nor R1 worked. :(

That's definitely weird. I haven't played on PS4 but in the old version on PS5 you had to hit interact twice to actually interact with anything. I'm guessing you tried pressing it multiple times but maybe they haven't fixed that on PS4 yet? Like the first press would turn your guy towards it even if you're already in the right spot and then you had to hit it again.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is the dice maker supposed to be a reference to lo-fi beats girl?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, looks like I've hit a brick wall at the end of the fascism quest, absolutely no way I'm passing a legendary suggestion check with Measurehead with my 1 PSY character at this stage of the game (Day 5). Even with two modifiers I'm still languishing at 3% and I genuinely don't think there's enough skill points left for me to pump this up to acceptable levels. Bummer! I thought this quest would be a shoe-in for my high FYS meathead character but my lack of intelligence is really coming back to bite me in the rear end

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hjAttr-LtE

Is this Disco or Hardcore?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's disco. hardcore anodic dance music doesn't need something so gauche as lyrics

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

World War Mammories posted:

it's disco. hardcore anodic dance music doesn't need something so gauche as lyrics

HARD CORE!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hard core to the mega.

Question about something in the last parts of the game. When I talked to the phasmid it told me to 'do it for the working class'. I had been a primarily Communist cop up to that point. Does the phasmid always tell you to do it for the working class, or is there some other exhortation if you are, for instance, an ultraliberal?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
THE MARKET REGULATES ITSELF!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

Hard core to the mega.

Question about something in the last parts of the game. When I talked to the phasmid it told me to 'do it for the working class'. I had been a primarily Communist cop up to that point. Does the phasmid always tell you to do it for the working class, or is there some other exhortation if you are, for instance, an ultraliberal?

A moralist will be told to do it "for all man kind".

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Hard core to the mega.

It definitely changes depending. IIRC I last got gently caress, man, she was just crazy. or something in that vein.

See also that, due to the habit of goons wanting to be communists, and the leaning of the developers many people seem to assume that The police revolution will be pro-communist Which is possible, but.. not actually said.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tylana posted:

It definitely changes depending. IIRC I last got gently caress, man, she was just crazy. or something in that vein.

See also that, due to the habit of goons wanting to be communists, and the leaning of the developers many people seem to assume that The police revolution will be pro-communist Which is possible, but.. not actually said.

Independent of RAC, it seems likely given what you learn about the RCM's origins.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The breakdown of who would and wouldn't be allies at the end also hints at how its breaking down. It's worth noting that the original revolution had the ultras siding with the commies and the union reveals a rainbow coalition character so it's probably a messy amalgamation, same as all actually successful revolutions have been

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I did notice that Racist Lorry Driver's "streets of revachol on your boots" motif is shared by the RCM who put that everywhere.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You should taste some (pudding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Finally finished day 1. How do you make money in this game? And are Mazovian socio-economics worth it?