Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/1387615449572012035

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve only ever been to YS3 and airport terminal is a very kind description

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MrMojok posted:

Freeman said after the game that everyone hates those ABs against position players.

I think while the position player certainly isn’t as formidable as a pitcher, there is on the other hand somewhat of a... foreign/unknown factor involved. An unpredictability.

Hitters have nothing to gain from PAs against position players. If they hit a dinger, it's like yeah what did you expect? But if they strike out, it's on the highlight reel for all eternity.

My favorite part is Rizzo had been throwing consistently in the high 60s, then he dropped about 8 mph off the last pitch to get him swinging and Freeman wasn't expecting it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve only ever been to YS3 and airport terminal is a very kind description

It's more like a Vegas hotel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is great. I love Freeman. He's probably the best Brave I've watched. Maddux was fun too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

euphronius posted:

This is great. I love Freeman. He's probably the best Brave I've watched. Maddux was fun too.

I like Freeman too but Maddux was an immortal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant best in terms of being an ok human to root for

He appears to be a good human

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pitching gave Maddux an erection and he needed a mound visit so he'd have time to calm down, you can't get better than that

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Didn't he piss on people?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*googles*

ok withdrawn

I had never heard that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

These yankee lineups are loving triggering again. Ford hit a homer yesterday and he's out of the lineup for Odor who sucks sooooooooooooo much.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's really weird to me that the only people I have on ignore is because of this thread specifically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Didn't he piss on people?
He had a tendency to do some weird pranks yeah

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I need new Giles Brothers stories

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm gonna punch somebody if Nick Pivetta is not-poo poo in Boston

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm gonna punch somebody if Nick Pivetta is not-poo poo in Boston

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

I need new Giles Brothers stories

Marcus telling Brian (or the other way around, can't remember) that Peavy was in the showers and then the other yelling "Oh boy!" before they rushed into the showers and then ten seconds later a flustered Peavy rushes out is the exact number of details I wanted out of that story. No more, no less

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Minor league rosters are beginning to come out. Of note, Wander Franco is starting in AAA and Bobby Witt Jr will start in AA

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
phillies closer deliberately nails Arenado in the high back and Shildt gets tossed, looking forward to SAS giving kudos to him for protecting his player

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, Shildt gave Nerris props for hitting Arenado after the game:

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1387874978176118786
https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1387874950246191109

See it's okay because his guy got drilled The Right Way™

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mike_V posted:

phillies closer deliberately nails Arenado in the high back and Shildt gets tossed, looking forward to SAS giving kudos to him for protecting his player

Are you sure it was intentional? That's something you do in the 6th inning, not bottom 9th of a tie game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mike_V posted:

are you new here

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

IcePhoenix posted:

are you new here

My bad, it was just one post

Popete posted:

Good on Girardi.

I probably combined a bunch of sports commentariat Kudos to Girardi responses and attributed it to here.

Also, I meant "him" as in Shildt.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I said good on Girardi for sticking up for his guys getting plunked twice by an out of control pitcher and then getting a warning and ejected by the Umps. That post was from before any Philly pitcher threw at a Cardinal, so relax.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hey can I ask a question about baseball cards here? More specifically wondering if there will be a Kirby Puckett card made by Topps for their Project 70 thing? I don't follow baseball anymore but Kirby was my favorite when I was young and I heard about this Project 70 thing. Every day I check the site to see what the new cards are and it seems like it's the same 10 players over and over. Where's the Kirby?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

phosdex posted:

Hey can I ask a question about baseball cards here? More specifically wondering if there will be a Kirby Puckett card made by Topps for their Project 70 thing? I don't follow baseball anymore but Kirby was my favorite when I was young and I heard about this Project 70 thing. Every day I check the site to see what the new cards are and it seems like it's the same 10 players over and over. Where's the Kirby?
I don't know if there's any pattern to the players

I also think that Puckett's violence against women may make Topps squeamish about doing one for him

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

It looks like the artists get to choose the players

https://www.mlb.com/news/topps-project-70-baseball-cards-promise-to-be-even-more-imaginative posted:

That’s not the only change. Instead of every creator getting the same 20 cards to play with, now they get to choose almost any player they want from big league history, do anything they want with the image, and pop it inside any of the 70 card designs from Topps’ long run.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know if there's any pattern to the players

I also think that Puckett's violence against women may make Topps squeamish about doing one for him

Oh yeah, I suppose. Some of the cards have some pretty hilariously terrible art, so it's interesting to check still.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

phosdex posted:

Oh yeah, I suppose. Some of the cards have some pretty hilariously terrible art, so it's interesting to check still.
e: holy poo poo

yeah but there's also wild (and cool) stuff like this (that's the 87 wood-bordered set, ummm, reimagined)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 30, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs offense is gaslighting.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Shrecknet posted:

e: holy poo poo

yeah but there's also wild (and cool) stuff like this (that's the 87 wood-bordered set, ummm, reimagined)

These two are amazing.

This one not so much:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1387966646938132483?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

These two are amazing.

This one not so much:

“Mr Stengel...I don’t feel so good....”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I gotta say, after years of PS folks hyping up The Show as the ultimate baseball game I’m a little disappointed in how sterile and repetitive it can get.

Though I do appreciate how every between-innings fan shot looks like it was created by aliens trying to interpret yankeefans.gif.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's, uh, it's baseball. What exactly were you expecting?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Casnorf posted:

It's, uh, it's baseball. What exactly were you expecting?

Sorry, I meant all the broadcast stuff and animations were repetitive, not the gameplay. I’ve only been playing it for a couple days but I feel like I’ve already seen every single player reaction and heard every inane broadcaster line.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry, I meant all the broadcast stuff and animations were repetitive, not the gameplay. I’ve only been playing it for a couple days but I feel like I’ve already seen every single player reaction and heard every inane broadcaster line.

with sports games, i always just turn off commentary and turn on some music or a podcast after playing way too much Madden 01 has seared HE JUST GOT HIS BIG OL' PAWS UP THERE AND WHAPPED IT DOWN into my brain

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I dunno, I just started a 'March to October' in The Show with the Mets. deGrom pitched 7 brilliant innings, left up 2-0. Then the bullpen gave up 2 runs in the 8th to tie. In the 9th the Nats won on a suicide squeeze that was setup by a throwing error that turned a double into a triple.

A perfect simulation of :mets:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Bauer is funny when he's punching up

https://v.redd.it/3sil98lxk7w61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

brutal honesty, if you're gonna play more than like a game or two a week just set everything to fast/no animations, turn off commentary and just listen to something else in the background. The gameplay is good, the presentation is uh...less good