Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Can confirm, Returnal is fun so far. Unfortunately Ive spent my 2 hours a night dedicated to gaming.. I cant wait to get back in tomorrow after work.

Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thauros posted:

"Brutally diffucult" is not generally something that appeals to me. my favorite series are the yakuza games which fall on the opposite end of the spectrum and the only from software game i played was bloodborne when it was a ps+ game. i quit early without making much headway due to finding it incredibly frustrating

i absolutely adored hades tho and it was my favorite non RGG game i've played in years. perfect difficulty curve for me. which is this closer to for most people?

Hades, by a country mile.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thauros posted:

"Brutally diffucult" is not generally something that appeals to me. my favorite series are the yakuza games which fall on the opposite end of the spectrum and the only from software game i played was bloodborne when it was a ps+ game. i quit early without making much headway due to finding it incredibly frustrating

i absolutely adored hades tho and it was my favorite non RGG game i've played in years. perfect difficulty curve for me. which is this closer to for most people?

Much closer to Hades. I'm only two hours in obviously but I'd describe it so far as Hades but a bit harder and with a bit more RNG. Less stuff rolls over each run compared to Hades it seems.

I'm surprisingly hooked by the story so far even though it's pretty much just "Hey you keep having to do this. That's weird." So far.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hades lived on its character writing and solid play and this game is only half of that.

It's real good tho.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks for joining the stream y’all. I did the entire opening up to my first death before realizing I was muted but after that it was all gas. Gonna grab a quick 4 hours then go to work and kill the poo poo out of the first boss. Absolutely loving the movement.

chill
Jun 21, 2009

returnal good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Thanks for joining the stream y’all. I did the entire opening up to my first death before realizing I was muted but after that it was all gas. Gonna grab a quick 4 hours then go to work and kill the poo poo out of the first boss. Absolutely loving the movement.

I started watching about 10 seconds before you died on your final run :( but you sound exactly how I expected you to lol

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm kind of baffled - a run can take up to 2 hours and no way to save midrun? And there could be runs that get you nothing whatsoever?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

I'm kind of baffled - a run can take up to 2 hours and no way to save midrun?

Rest Mode.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This thread descends into chaos

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I used rest mode on my PS4 exclusively.

On my PS5....I turn it off.... !!!!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Got to the first boss on my first not-destined to fail run, haven't been able to make it back. Last run was really good and I had a heal as my backup item but then back-to-back lockdown rooms with Mycomorphs and Titanops, and of course holes in the floor everywhere.

I've made a huge mistake.

:negative:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gonna kill that first boss tomorrow, who's with me?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I used rest mode on my PS4 exclusively.

On my PS5....I turn it off.... !!!!

The PS5 turns on fast as hell but I’m too used to being able to jump right into my last place in a game now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even as a rest mode enthusiast it sounds really dumb that you can't save mid run. like, what if you want to play something else or the power goes out or the PS5 turns itself off (this happens to me on a non insignificant basis) or you just need to close the drat game for whatever reason.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Today I think I shall play Returnal on my Sony Playstation 5.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hades would let you quit anywhere and it would autosave at the start of the room yeah, and that had runs that are apparently much shorter

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hades would let you quit anywhere and it would autosave at the start of the room yeah, and that had runs that are apparently much shorter

On the other hand, "start of the room" is well defined in Hades, there are no break points of the same small size in Returnal as far as I've seen

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Hades is like 45 minutes long and I would have been pissed if you just had to bin a run to do something else. Sounds like an incredibly bad design choice tbh. especially considering how people play multiplayer games "oh hey man wanna play some insert random game" Nope sorry I have to finish this run of Returnal even though I would rather play the other game.

Seems like a good way to just breed resentment towards the game once the initial thrill wears off, and for no actual good reason as far as I can tell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like they’ll patch it in soon enough with the amount of people I’ve seen having issues.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like they’ll patch it in soon enough with the amount of people I’ve seen having issues.

If they do I can't wait to see the amount of people refusing to update it in the name of Gaming purity.

I mean, I would've loved an autosave at the start of the room but I do feel this is a pretty core intention of the developers. You die, die, die and lose everything until you have just enough capability to do it in one shot. There's a reason you lose so much of all items when you die. It does feel very Edge of Tomorrow

:edit: funny thing about this is there are people who are going to drop the game like a sack of bricks and others who will breeze through it all based on Room Randomness

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I wonder if anyone at Housemarque knows that PS5s by default will close apps and reboot whenever there's a new system update.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

Twin Peaks S2 has some hard-to-watch storylines that many fans recommend skipping past, but the followup movie Fire Walk With Me owns bones. And then it all has the spectacular payoff of S3, which is easily the best thing I've ever watched, film or television. 18 hours of Lynch with a budget and full creative control, it's so good it's unreal.

i agree but i would still say watch the bad s2 eps rather than skipping them, for the bits of context for future eps and of course, the memes. just ...be aware they became hands off after one obvious point and it shows.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't understand why anyone was looking forward to Returnal. Every preview looked dark and generic. OMG tentacle monsters on a featureless, dark, rock planet. I sure want to play that over and over again until I get +1 gravity orb so I can see more rocks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Some notes about this:

- before the weak parts of season 2 you have an incredible first 8-10 episodes which are even better than season 1 imo

- don’t skip anything even though you may want to. some storylines you can happily do something else during though, and you’ll know which they are

- season 3 is absolutely my favourite piece of media of all time, flaws and all

yeah this, do this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man this game is so fuckin good. Like I haven’t even made it very far yet (I die every time I come across one of the big red monsters, although I think I’m good enough at them to get one next time, provided everything else goes my way) but I’m always itching to try again when I die.

One of my friends (who’s a lurker goon - SUP MAN) inexplicably made it to the third boss on his first run and it seems like that’s messed with the game in some hilarious ways such as the first biome now being way more difficult. Imagine getting that from your second run lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

acksplode posted:

I wonder if anyone at Housemarque knows that PS5s by default will close apps and reboot whenever there's a new system update.

They want you to returnal to the game!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

If they do I can't wait to see the amount of people refusing to update it in the name of Gaming purity.

I mean, I would've loved an autosave at the start of the room but I do feel this is a pretty core intention of the developers. You die, die, die and lose everything until you have just enough capability to do it in one shot. There's a reason you lose so much of all items when you die. It does feel very Edge of Tomorrow

:edit: funny thing about this is there are people who are going to drop the game like a sack of bricks and others who will breeze through it all based on Room Randomness

That's not what people are complaining about. it's not about restarting when you die, that is bog standard rougelite fare. it's about not being able to save at all mid run which can apparently take over 2 hours. So the game just totally ties up your time and PS5 until you die or finish it. There's no actual gameplay reason for it.

Escobarbarian posted:

Most likely. I don't think it's going to go over well at all.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

wait what, returnal is good? dammit its like 65 quid and re8 is out next week and that steelbook cost me 66 quid and then mass effect is out right after. may madness

i will pick up it at some point i guess.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I will get returnal at some point but I just got a gaming laptop and there are TOO MANY GAMES.

Also village next week and I started fist of the north star as Kiryu.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Vik but yes, game good

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Can you pause the game, exit the game, and watch Netflix or whatever other media app and then re-enter the game and unpause to keep playing it right? As long as you don’t open another game? I think it needs a save function but the way I play one thing at a time this is ok with me until then. The PS5 seems really good at putting new games in hibernate indefinitely until you open it back up again.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The way to fix the saving issue is easy.

The game makes a 'restart' save at the beginning of the area, like it does now.

In the meantime, the player can make a manual save at any point, but this is wiped when they die and takes you back to the restart save.

This is how the original Rogue games actually did it - the game was always saved for you at any point, but you couldn't revert back after death.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s often kind of easy to unplug or just turn off a console right as you die before it can wipe a save like that, saving you and allowing you to reload the previous save and keep going. Easily manipulated. The PS5 might be fast enough to make a run save inaccessible the moment you fall down but who knows.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sure, and people (like myself) used to write scripts to take backups of the save file on Nethack as we played. But it would solve the 'problem' as they see it in the vast majority of cases.

You could even just have it that the system makes the 'temp' save every time you want to turn off the system, that's much harder to manipulate.

I've also been guilty of unplugging my network cable when about to fail a run in Hitman one-off content, but that's all on the player.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Sounding like Sony just released the best Metroid game since Prime. Might have to pick up a copy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Geo Fixer posted:

Sounding like Sony just released the best Metroid game since Prime. Might have to pick up a copy.

dont say poo poo like this during may wallet madness :negative:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Pro-tip, you can go back to your ship in returnal and sleep to heal (a bit)

:edit: leave the ship, go back you can go sleep right away again to heal as much as you need.

:Edit 2: oh god, first boss down - one more hit and I would’ve died, but it was first go at least. This is how stressful Doom Eternal should have been. The back of my neck got so hot with the anxiety. Cool!

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 30, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I am looking forward to playing returnal when i get off work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't understand why anyone was looking forward to Returnal. Every preview looked dark and generic. OMG tentacle monsters on a featureless, dark, rock planet. I sure want to play that over and over again until I get +1 gravity orb so I can see more rocks.

What kinds of games do you think look unique and interesting? If there were more alien action games with creepy tentacle monsters I would play those as well.

One thing I’ll say about about the game that is really excellent is the number of aesthetics that remind me of my favorite games. It’s reminding me of Bloodborne for sure, but also Control and Prototype, 2 OTHER games from my lifetime top 10? Hell Yeah!