Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I poked my head into Planetside 2 years ago, but bounced off it after a few hours without a regular unit. Figure it's worth starting from scratch and getting back into it with goons. Will post in the PGS thread momentarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have a friend from NZ who plays on Connery and I don't seem to recall her complaining about ping/lag when we play together but she may just be used to it.

E: I know ZOE on VS Maxes used to be the most busted poo poo of all time, but is it still worth using

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 30, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chillgamesh posted:

I have a friend from NZ who plays on Connery and I don't seem to recall her complaining about ping/lag when we play together but she may just be used to it.

E: I know ZOE on VS Maxes used to be the most busted poo poo of all time, but is it still worth using

Not really, except on Bursters.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I get 140-190ms from hawaii it's def playable.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I just realized there's that ASP system haha i was wondering how the hell people were equipping the thumper and their main.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Was pretty easy to get the hang of the controls again and join up with GOKU off a fresh account, though I remain as awful at actually playing the game as ever. Gonna try rereading the thread posts and see if that teaches me anything, but I expect it's gonna be a hard road to competence. It's still fun messing around and chatting with people in Mumble though, and I got to have one semi-heroic moment in a MAX suit with a positive K/D encounter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

I just realized there's that ASP system haha i was wondering how the hell people were equipping the thumper and their main.

Yeah it's pretty neat. I'm a fan of shotgun secondaries for engineers as well as LMG or assault rifle mains on Engi as well. I play engi a lot. SMG secondaries for lights are good, too, as well as the aforementioned heavy weapon secondary. I've been trying out different ones as I unlock them on different characters but for infantry fighting the weapon variety is always pretty good. I almost never play medic so I just unlocked assault rifles for the engi on my VS guy at ASP 75. The worst one I've picked so far is probably smoke grenades on every class. It isn't useless but it's probably the one I use the least. It's only kind of strong with infravision implant, which I like to use, but infravision lets infiltrators get the jump on you a lot so it can be really hit or miss.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jossar posted:

Was pretty easy to get the hang of the controls again and join up with GOKU off a fresh account, though I remain as awful at actually playing the game as ever. Gonna try rereading the thread posts and see if that teaches me anything, but I expect it's gonna be a hard road to competence. It's still fun messing around and chatting with people in Mumble though, and I got to have one semi-heroic moment in a MAX suit with a positive K/D encounter.

Git Gud is essentially a matter of positional awareness and map knowledge. If you're just on foot, attacking into the enemy head-on is virtually always a bad idea unless you're a MAX or a Heavy. If you're playing Engi or Medic then just play defensively, you're gonna get shredded if you try to be the first one in the door or around the corner. If you're an LA or an Infiltrator, then take advantage of your jets or cloak to shoot people in the back. I can't recommend getting C4 on LA enough, even though it's been nerfed to poo poo it's still incredible. Another thing that LA gets now that the OP doesn't mention is that if you're using a carbine, jumpjets stabilize your COF, it's just regular hipfire instead of jumping hipfire so you can loving dunk on people with your jets in close quarters, or to some truly stupid ranges if you're using the Horizon.

Still, the best way to statpad your KDR is just 1) play heavy 2) use medkit

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The key is certs though, even i'm still trying to farm certs for all the new weapons that's why i'm sticking to medic/engy. Medic with rez nades and that shield regen will print certs regardless of how good you are. Just remember to ask before investing certs because things like new weapons can be a huge cert sink for almost no return considering how good the default weapons are. Getting a solid spawn sundy setup is also really good because you can just park it in a good spot and regardless of how many people you're playing with just print certs like crazy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some recent changes I didn't mention earlier are the Utility slot. It gets used for special items in the campaign, but there's also utility items you get from outfit Loyalty levels and spend your Merit on. There's tank traps (they called them Caltrops, the big X things you can drop outdoors), a deployable small umbrella shield that you can fire through from below (Hardlight Canopy), a one man flash you can just pop out anywhere and ride off on (Flash XS-1), the Ordnance Dampener which lowers explosive damage in an area, and the Cortium bomb, which is a really strong explosive that takes 20 seconds to go off but really wrecks stuff. The latter is a favorite of infiltrators for destroying player bases. It's difficult to defend against because you'll run up and try to defuse it and that's when the infiltrator shoots you.

They're unlocked in the drop-downs at the outfit merit vendor on sanctuary. There's also outfit decals for players and vehicles and cosmetic decals, armor, and vehicle accessories. It's a good idea to unlock the utility items first since they are the most useful and your outfit loyalty decays over time so if you rank up to loyalty 6 now and get everything through the cortium bomb you're set for everything except the cosmetics. The Coloussus tank also uses outfit merit to upgrade its utility, defense, logistics slot, as well as guns and attachments. After you buy everything you can with Merit there's an unlimited stock of hour long XP or nanite boosts so it's never useless. You get merit when you get loyalty for helping take or defend a base.

Codes for free stuff (I got these from https://levvvel.com/planetside-2-codes/):

quote:

Code Unlocks
PS2Escalation Platinum NS-11A variant assault rifle for all factions and Salvaged Platinum Compound Helmet (VS/NC/TR only)
PSUARMORDECAL PSU themed armor decal
PSUVEHICLEDECAL PSU themed vehicles decal
5YEARSPS2 5th anniversary special PlanetSide 2 decal for vehicles and armor
6YEARSPS2 6th anniversary special PlanetSide 2 decal for vehicles and armor as well as NSX-P Naginata LMG weapon
NSOPS2019 NSX Tengu weapon
MLGREPORT MLG themed decal for vehicles and armor and 50% boost in XP and resources for 1 hour (only works for one character so use on main)
PS2WelcomeBack Platinum NSX Tanto weapon and platinum NS helmet

There's some tips and tricks to learn for new players or even returning players. You can get really far down a rabbit hole on tips but here's a few quick ones. This isn't basic how to play stuff but things you figure out by doing or being told.
General:
To get to another continent quickly from Sanctuary or a different continent, open the map, drop down the top map name to World Map, select where you want to go on the left and hit Warp. No need to wait 10 seconds for a redeploy.

If you're hitting up an equipment terminal while reloading something slow (LMG, launcher, etc), switch to your pistol and then double tap the terminal so you won't get stuck in a reload animation after you get off the terminal.

You can use the equipment terminals (or a deployed sundy) to refresh your energy or shield and tool cooldowns, but not health. Engineers emergency repairing sunderers can use this to not have to wait for their tool to cool down or get more energy. In that situation you can also have a loadout with repair grenades and optionally the NS-66 Punisher SMG which has an underbarrel launcher that shoots repairing splashes.

After taking a elevator pad up or down you've got a couple of seconds of fall damage immunity. You can use this to hop off towers quickly or do whatever.

Infiltrator recon darts can be shot and destroyed. So can enemy engineer ammo packs (although you can reload from them so it's mostly just done by friendly engineers who want points). I think a lot of people don't know that.

One mine usually won't kill anyone (except TR mines but they're directional) so always use two if you want to get a kill from them. You can also set off other explosives with mines so you could drop a tank mine and regular mine together for the same effect in a couple of spots, but that's a lot of setup so it'd have to be for a base you're prepping expecting to be attacked and pretty situational.

Darklight flashlight is a little bit bugged right now so it has both a maximum range (expected) and a minimum range (not expected and probably broken but it has been for months). They're good to put on your pistol so you can check if you think there's an infiltrator around.

If an opponent drops an ANVIL so they can pull a vehicle you can shoot it before they use it and pick their vehicle, wasting their outfit's armory points. They don't have that much health.

ANVIL lets you put vehicles in weird spots like on top of trees on Hossin. You can camp a tree without even using a router if you drop a heavy anvil on it and spawn a sunderer. It's a little precarious but it seems to happen a lot.

Missions tips:
For all of the class specific missions, the main thing you need is to be that class when the action occurs. So if your mines go off from when you were an infiltrator earlier, but you're a heavy now, those count as heavy kills.

The AOE healing from the medic Triage passive ability works for their daily mission healing or shield points (you can sit in a vehicle and heal people around it).

If you're doing daily missions, enemy items count as "player kills" for most weapon eval missions and class missions. You can shoot enemy mines, sensors, beacons, etc.

If you get an NSX weapon eval for the Masamune launcher to kill five vehicles you can destroy base turrets since they count as vehicles. I have a lot of characters and if I get that one and the reward is A7 I'll sometimes just fly to an empty amp station or tech plant and hit the turrets with a vehicle damaging knife. Knife a turret 25 times or so, then shoot it with the launcher. If you play late it can be hard to find big fights and lots of vehicles.

NSX weapon eval for the Yumi is miserable because it's a bad gun, but it can be equipped with a grenade launcher if you really want to do it.

The Cortium Run, Surveying the land, or Message Courier missions are a fast way to get a little xp if you're busy and just logging in for a few minutes. I run through my alts every day and sometimes I've got time for some extra missions (usually I just stop for ones with A7 rewards).

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I only play alone since everyone left NC.
I cannot give up the gauss Saw. I am the saw

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gauss SAW best SAW, that weapon is absolute beauty. It's like the one thing that draws me back to NC, until I get sick of NC pubbies.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LeninVS posted:

I only play alone since everyone left NC.
I cannot give up the gauss Saw. I am the saw

Well after ASP 100 play your VS guy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Wow I am mediocre but I’m getting back in the swing. Any recommendations for good Medic weapons? Close to mid range I guess since that seems to be where most engagements happen for a Medic. Using a Terminus right now but not 100% sold on it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wow I am mediocre but I’m getting back in the swing. Any recommendations for good Medic weapons? Close to mid range I guess since that seems to be where most engagements happen for a Medic. Using a Terminus right now but not 100% sold on it.

I don't play medic as much as the other classes, but I play a lot and I have a few days of playtime on it on all the factions. The Terminus is similar to the H-V45 in that it's pretty good for close fights since you can put on soft point ammo and the advanced laser sight. Use a 1x scope and flash suppressor (they don't affect bloom any more, just minimap visibility). I'd use whichever feels better, the H-V45 fires faster and has a little more accuracy from the hip but has slightly lower muzzle velocity and a longer reload time. CME and Corvus I don't see used very often since they're more geared towards longer range but they're not bad, just more for a particular kind of load out. The NS-11A is decent all around because you can kind of gear it either way with attachments (grip and compensator for longer range, laser and flash suppressor for closer). The Equinox and Pulsar are similar all-rounders in that you can kind of gear them either way.

Oddballs that are still good would be weapons like the Equinox burst which can be setup to really destroy heads if you want. I'd hold off on that until you aurax some other ones, the rapid clicking to spam bursts can be a little to get used to. If you want to try it there's burst modes on a lot of the other guns as well. Also, the medic can use battle rifles so the Eidolon and Obelisk are available (as well as the Yumi but it's ugh). The Obelisk has a heat ammo mechanic and is really good for playing sniper with almost every class. The Eidolon can equip a grenade launcher now, but I've found if I save a loadout with a grenade launcher on the faction battle rifles, even though it's been available for years, it will reset my weapon to the default one when I log out or change continents because it's just been bugged for a long time. Happens to me on all three factions.

I've been enjoying the weird new AR which is the Lacerta, too, although it's very situational. It's from the series of burst ARs that each faction got a little while back with a little faction trait on them. The NC got the Vanquisher which is really good, the TR got the Arbalest which is alright, and the VS got the Lacerta which is not as solid as the other two but you can put Lashing Ammunition on it. I like to hang back and use a grip and pop folks that think they're concealed enough it with since I can spot an exposed head or limb hiding behind something. I'll fire off three or four bursts and they'll take some damage and try to move and it still gets them. Again, situational thing, not really a recommendation.

In addition to familiarity, your general load out for gear will affect how well you survive things. I used to just run grenade bandoleers full of revive grenades and implants to heal everyone around me (plus carapace which replaces your shield with more health). That's great for big fights where I'm getting resses. In small fights, or if I'm trying to make sure the enemy is dead before I revive anyone so we don't just both get wasted immediately, I decided to change some load outs and re-gear a little for damage reduction with Nanoweave or an implant that reduces incoming damage or something (symbiote or whatever). Medical kits are also not just for heavies.

Oh and the VR is open all the time if you want to go over there to try out any weapons, it can be really handy to get an idea of what things handle like and how attachments change it up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rexxed posted:

NSX weapon eval for the Yumi is miserable because it's a bad gun, but it can be equipped with a grenade launcher if you really want to do it.

Yumi is the burst AR right? That thing rules, it just takes a ton of getting used to because it's very unlike every other weapon. You have to predict where people will be, but it deletes people from the game when you get it right.

Makes a good noise too.

If Mustarde is allowed to say the Nyx is good because it's good getting headshots, then I'm allowed to say the Yumi is.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 30, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yumi is the burst AR right? That thing rules, it just takes a ton of getting used to because it's very unlike every other weapon. You have to predict where people will be, but it deletes people from the game when you get it right.

Makes a good noise too.

If Mustarde is allowed to say the Nyx is good because it's good getting headshots, then I'm allowed to say the Yumi is.

Yeah that's fair, there's really no guns that are flat out bad, just some have gimmicks that are hard to get used to. In my case the firing delay is a thing to get used to (kind of like the NC Railjack). If you land headshots it will just vaporize someone. The faction burst ARs are a lot better due to the lack of delay, IMO. I just don't like the Yumi because I've spent hours some nights trying to get a 30 kill mission done with great difficulty because I'm an A7 addict. I'm looking forward to the NSX Kuwa which is a NSO weapon directive reward. It has the same spin up time but just shoots for as long as you hold it down instead of bursting. In some ways I'm sure it'll be frustrating too, but at least it'll be different, which is kind of what all the NSO directive weapons are like.

As a side note, if anyone hasn't looked in a couple of years they changed the Rocklet launcher ammo for the light assault. It used to have typoon (more damage but no flak explosion) and locklets that would lock on and were hard to be effective with. They removed the locklets and added Sabot ammo which is legitimately good. It lets you burst 3 rounds and they fly straighter with very little spread. If you haven't checked it out in a while it's worth a look because it feels more effective than any other choice for that thing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Yumi is a decision-making gun in a reaction-based game, so you have to be ready to sit still for the half-second while it revs up. You have to hit the head at least twice to get the effect, otherwise you'll just burst into the overshield and nanoweave of whoever's in front of you and die.

I found it to be a miserable gun, but it does have 1000RPM while it is firing, so it's going to win a lot of one-on-one firefights if you precached your burst before you engage.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Victory Position posted:

The Yumi is a decision-making gun in a reaction-based game, so you have to be ready to sit still for the half-second while it revs up. You have to hit the head at least twice to get the effect, otherwise you'll just burst into the overshield and nanoweave of whoever's in front of you and die.

I found it to be a miserable gun, but it does have 1000RPM while it is firing, so it's going to win a lot of one-on-one firefights if you precached your burst before you engage.

It's also incredibly funny to see people poof in to red mist as they walk in to your LOS during your spinup

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

im sitting on 7000 certs and a boatload of currencies.
do the NC have any dumb OP stuff these days?

where can I read about the "meta" loadouts and whatnot

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

LeninVS posted:

For the NC:

Anchor - LMG for the Heavy Assault. Slap a foregrip on it, 1X red dot and you're good. Add Softpoint Ammo later when you can for increased effectiveness.
NS-15 - LMG for Heavy Assault, usable on all factions. Every nerd should have at least one NS-15. Insanely accurate, easily controllable. Add a foregrip and soft point ammo. Gold, platinum and AE variants increase your swag by 420%.
Reaper DMR - Assault Rife for the Medic. 200 dmg gun that, likewise, you can slap a foregrip and a 1X Red Dot onto it and own nerds forever.
Tross - Assault Rifle for the Medic. A better version of the Reaper DMR with a larger magazine, lower rate of fire.
Whatever the standard Gauss Rifle is called - Assault Rifle for the Medic. It's really good, easily controllable especially after adding a foregrip to it. Can't go wrong.
Carnage - Assault Rifle for the Medic. High rate of fire, perfect for CQC. You can either slap a lazer sight for tighter cone of fire or a foregrip if you're still using it to ADS nerds in CQC.

And so on and so forth. Basically every NC gun is good, including their starters. You almost can't go wrong. But if you have a specific class you want to play, let us know and if I haven't already recommended the best guns for that class I'm sure someone else will.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
well done effort post. i'm actually kinda interested in playing this again..

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LeninVS posted:

It depends what you like to play but for heavy infantry IvI the meta loadout you want is:
Adrenaline shield, Nanoweave armor, medical kit, your LMG of choice, your launcher of choice (I mostly use the decimator), Commissioner. I use the ancient psykinetic blade on my heavy loadouts for stabbing vehicles and turrets and stuff (there's two or three knives that can damage heavy stuff now) but the NSX Ameratsu knife is probably my next favorite since you can wield it and shoot it out at people. The NS Icebreaker axe which was a reward from the campaign is apparently capable of one-shotting an infiltrator in the head so it's a good choice if you have it but I'm not sure if you can get it any more.

For implants there's a bit of variety but on a heavy Assimilate 5 is good to get shield back on kills, Battle Hardened to reduce the flinch from being shot. I see people running Sidewinder, Symbiote, Regeneration, Mobility Mesh, and/or Survivalist sometimes, but they seem to have really specific ideas of what they're doing. There's some combos like Bionics (drops your hp to almost none but gives you extra shield) and Assimilate for shield regen that could be argued for but when I've tried them I find they can be really hit or miss. I personally like infravision for some loadouts because I like to pick people off who think they're hidden but like I said in a previous post it makes you more vulnerable to infils since they're totally invisible with it on. It also makes it hard to find cloaked sunderers. It's also an Exceptional implant so it's hard to get. I like it so much I've been dumping certs into implants for like three years and I've managed to get it on 6 of 9 characters. I bought the anniversary pack that included it to get my first one (four or five years ago now?) so I've got 7/9 characters covered for infravision which is honestly ridiculous luck.

If you haven't tried it, the Promise LMG is one of my favorite on NC. I usually run it with the 1x or 2x scope, Flash suppressor, laser, and Smart Feeder. It's pretty accurate and has a lot of ammo so I've managed to aurax the normal one and the AE version just bullet hosing people down, and I don't even have the godsaw yet. I like the Naginata, too. It has a gimmick where moving increases your bloom but it fires very fast and accurately, so you'd think you HAVE to stand still to use it. I've found however that a little strafing doesn't seem to cause it to bloom too badly as long as you're not trying to sprint or moving forward or back. I've auraxed it a couple of times now and I'm on the "networked" variant on my NSO guy.

If you like medic the Vanquisher is good. People hate the Charger carbine but I'm a fan of it since it does more damage up front, so it feels like you can really power people down quickly. The Razor is still a good accurate gun, the AC-X11 hits hard, and the Gauss Compact S on 3x burst mode is a favorite of mine. It feels like spamming burst weapons can really output damage over automatics in some situations, but I mostly use it on LA so I can get the drop on people and dump a bunch of rounds into them before they know where I am. GD-7F is still strong if you can get the drop on people since it spams out rounds so quickly. After using it so much with the NSO I really like the Tanto and managed to aurax both the regular and -P variants playing mostly light assault. It's got super good accuracy that blooms heavily if you fire it sustained.

For infiltrators the cyclone is still one of the best SMGs, although the NS-66 Punisher is very good as well. The Gladius is really nice, too, but I wouldn't buy it until you aurax the cyclone. For close range bolting the SAS-R with a 1x or whatever you prefer scope is still great. The Daimyo is a headshot only killing machine and can fire three rounds before reloading so it can be extremely good if you can get those headshots.

NC Maxes got un-nerfed a couple of months ago so their shotguns can delete people again (there were a couple of years where they were a joke). They all had Slug ammo removed as an option, though, so you're still relying on getting close.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 1, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I reinstalled the game mostly because of this thread. Eleven minute wait to deploy to either of the two continents aren't locked. Impossible to recommend this to friends

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I reinstalled the game mostly because of this thread. Eleven minute wait to deploy to either of the two continents aren't locked. Impossible to recommend this to friends

Yeah that's one of the things the membership price helps with. It's definitely got some freemium stuff going on with that kind of thing. If you have membership and make an NSO character they can always get in but get put on the least populated faction.

The recent popularity seems to be because some streamers have been playing it and getting their fans into platoons with them to do events. Also, it's Friday primetime on a double XP weekend since it's the end of the month, and the new stuff just dropped. So it's definitely going to be busy for a little while.

I've noticed more new players in the last couple of months, I assume due to streamers playing it. The recursion mod likes to tell you when you kill a new player who doesn't have much of the way of stats in the API. It says "welcome to planetside."

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Waited 15 minutes to queue for Hossin, got in early, warped in, turns out the reason I was able to get in early was because Vanu had already won it and everyone piled into Amerish, which I had just left. Now there's a queue for Amerish. Quality server caps, thanks Daybreak. Don't know if I want to waste my time if the only continents worth playing in are always going to be full.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Some recent changes I didn't mention earlier are the Utility slot. It gets used for special items in the campaign, but there's also utility items you get from outfit Loyalty levels and spend your Merit on. There's tank traps (they called them Caltrops, the big X things you can drop outdoors), a deployable small umbrella shield that you can fire through from below (Hardlight Canopy), a one man flash you can just pop out anywhere and ride off on (Flash XS-1), the Ordnance Dampener which lowers explosive damage in an area, and the Cortium bomb, which is a really strong explosive that takes 20 seconds to go off but really wrecks stuff. The latter is a favorite of infiltrators for destroying player bases. It's difficult to defend against because you'll run up and try to defuse it and that's when the infiltrator shoots you.

They're unlocked in the drop-downs at the outfit merit vendor on sanctuary. There's also outfit decals for players and vehicles and cosmetic decals, armor, and vehicle accessories. It's a good idea to unlock the utility items first since they are the most useful and your outfit loyalty decays over time so if you rank up to loyalty 6 now and get everything through the cortium bomb you're set for everything except the cosmetics. The Coloussus tank also uses outfit merit to upgrade its utility, defense, logistics slot, as well as guns and attachments. After you buy everything you can with Merit there's an unlimited stock of hour long XP or nanite boosts so it's never useless. You get merit when you get loyalty for helping take or defend a base.

Codes for free stuff (I got these from https://levvvel.com/planetside-2-codes/):

There's some tips and tricks to learn for new players or even returning players. You can get really far down a rabbit hole on tips but here's a few quick ones. This isn't basic how to play stuff but things you figure out by doing or being told.
General:
To get to another continent quickly from Sanctuary or a different continent, open the map, drop down the top map name to World Map, select where you want to go on the left and hit Warp. No need to wait 10 seconds for a redeploy.

If you're hitting up an equipment terminal while reloading something slow (LMG, launcher, etc), switch to your pistol and then double tap the terminal so you won't get stuck in a reload animation after you get off the terminal.

You can use the equipment terminals (or a deployed sundy) to refresh your energy or shield and tool cooldowns, but not health. Engineers emergency repairing sunderers can use this to not have to wait for their tool to cool down or get more energy. In that situation you can also have a loadout with repair grenades and optionally the NS-66 Punisher SMG which has an underbarrel launcher that shoots repairing splashes.

After taking a elevator pad up or down you've got a couple of seconds of fall damage immunity. You can use this to hop off towers quickly or do whatever.

Infiltrator recon darts can be shot and destroyed. So can enemy engineer ammo packs (although you can reload from them so it's mostly just done by friendly engineers who want points). I think a lot of people don't know that.

One mine usually won't kill anyone (except TR mines but they're directional) so always use two if you want to get a kill from them. You can also set off other explosives with mines so you could drop a tank mine and regular mine together for the same effect in a couple of spots, but that's a lot of setup so it'd have to be for a base you're prepping expecting to be attacked and pretty situational.

Darklight flashlight is a little bit bugged right now so it has both a maximum range (expected) and a minimum range (not expected and probably broken but it has been for months). They're good to put on your pistol so you can check if you think there's an infiltrator around.

If an opponent drops an ANVIL so they can pull a vehicle you can shoot it before they use it and pick their vehicle, wasting their outfit's armory points. They don't have that much health.

ANVIL lets you put vehicles in weird spots like on top of trees on Hossin. You can camp a tree without even using a router if you drop a heavy anvil on it and spawn a sunderer. It's a little precarious but it seems to happen a lot.

Missions tips:
For all of the class specific missions, the main thing you need is to be that class when the action occurs. So if your mines go off from when you were an infiltrator earlier, but you're a heavy now, those count as heavy kills.

The AOE healing from the medic Triage passive ability works for their daily mission healing or shield points (you can sit in a vehicle and heal people around it).

If you're doing daily missions, enemy items count as "player kills" for most weapon eval missions and class missions. You can shoot enemy mines, sensors, beacons, etc.

If you get an NSX weapon eval for the Masamune launcher to kill five vehicles you can destroy base turrets since they count as vehicles. I have a lot of characters and if I get that one and the reward is A7 I'll sometimes just fly to an empty amp station or tech plant and hit the turrets with a vehicle damaging knife. Knife a turret 25 times or so, then shoot it with the launcher. If you play late it can be hard to find big fights and lots of vehicles.

The Cortium Run, Surveying the land, or Message Courier missions are a fast way to get a little xp if you're busy and just logging in for a few minutes. I run through my alts every day and sometimes I've got time for some extra missions (usually I just stop for ones with A7 rewards).

Wtf i was wondering what the hell merit and loyalty was, it kept popping up.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sailor Dave posted:

Waited 15 minutes to queue for Hossin, got in early, warped in, turns out the reason I was able to get in early was because Vanu had already won it and everyone piled into Amerish, which I had just left. Now there's a queue for Amerish. Quality server caps, thanks Daybreak. Don't know if I want to waste my time if the only continents worth playing in are always going to be full.

Queue stuff can be a pain in the rear end but it's Friday primetime after a MAJOR update. If you have to play when and where you want to either spend the $15 or uninstall. If you have some flexibility make the best of the other continents while you wait / when an alert ends theyll come to you. Being on the right continent when the alert ends is a thing you can learn.

Odds are people want to be on esamir (new stuff) of indar (they eat paste so indar forever) then amerish and hossin last.

If you come for goku ops we'll make an effort to pick somewhere everyone can get to initially then play till the fights come to us.

If solo just make dudes on all three factions and pick low pop to skip queue.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

:catstare:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Wtf i was wondering what the hell merit and loyalty was, it kept popping up.

Yeah, they added a bunch of new currency for outfit stuff so it's confusing at first. But it's not too complicated since loyalty is just a number that ranks you up in the outfit, and merit is points you spend on the stuff from the merit vendor (or to outfit your colossus) that's your own stuff. Merit is also spent to reload the utility items but they're all 20 or less per item so it's pretty cheap. Base caps seem to give 50 to 150 depending on size of the base. Being the outfit in control of bases give the outfit the green, blue, and purple resources for the stuff in the outfit armory which is separate from merit or loyalty. The map shows what each base produces. If you're high on the scoreboard when you take a base you can earn your outfit the 5 green (or whatever that base has) resource for your outfit when it flips as well, even if your outfit doesn't end up the controlling one. I forget what the cutoff is for earning it, maybe it's 1000 score or top 20% of attackers or something. I could look it up but I'm trying to kill 30 people with a Daimyo.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Haha oh gently caress. The internet was a mistake. First google hit I found.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, they added a bunch of new currency for outfit stuff so it's confusing at first. But it's not too complicated since loyalty is just a number that ranks you up in the outfit, and merit is points you spend on the stuff from the merit vendor (or to outfit your colossus) that's your own stuff. Merit is also spent to reload the utility items but they're all 20 or less per item so it's pretty cheap. Base caps seem to give 50 to 150 depending on size of the base. Being the outfit in control of bases give the outfit the green, blue, and purple resources for the stuff in the outfit armory which is separate from merit or loyalty. The map shows what each base produces. If you're high on the scoreboard when you take a base you can earn your outfit the 5 green (or whatever that base has) resource for your outfit when it flips as well, even if your outfit doesn't end up the controlling one. I forget what the cutoff is for earning it, maybe it's 1000 score or top 20% of attackers or something. I could look it up but I'm trying to kill 30 people with a Daimyo.

Bah thought merit bought other stuff but it's those stupid weird deployables that are too complicated to use half the time. Bought 3 months of membership so i can get that asp stuff, holy gently caress thumper in secondary is so goddamn amazing. How do i get more asp points--do i gotta level up to 100 every time?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Bah thought merit bought other stuff but it's those stupid weird deployables that are too complicated to use half the time. Bought 3 months of membership so i can get that asp stuff, holy gently caress thumper in secondary is so goddamn amazing. How do i get more asp points--do i gotta level up to 100 every time?

Every 25 levels gets you one ASP point to spend, so the maximum is 5 (since they give you one when you turn on ASP leveling as well). The first three are pretty fast. If you don't like what you picked there's an ASP reset token in the boosts section of the store. It's not cheap but it's probably not something you'd change a lot, 5k certs or 1349 DBC with membership.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If there's actually queues on all open continents like that it means that your faction is heavily, heavily overbalanced on the server at the moment. If both were locked for max pop a third would open, which means that the lower-pop continent that was open was like 55% your faction or something like that.

For times like that I recommend having an alt on another faction if you don't have a membership. It sucks, but for what it's worth it is also what the NSO free update will solve whenever that happens.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Haha oh gently caress. The internet was a mistake. First google hit I found.

this is 100% them posting about Planetside, in which they're repeatedly mulched and pureed by us :twisted:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

We will be doing our usual Saturday night ops at 9pm EST, though people will be on and playing before that. Come join us, it's free :)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The bounty system was redone a couple of years ago. It used to be a dumb cash grab where you could pay 50 DBC to put a bounty on someone who'd killed you. Now, if you get a kill streak of 7 without dying you'll get a 3 stack of bounties and the next three people that kill you get a bounty kill. There's some xp bonuses for killing someone with a bounty and if you kill more people while bountied you get a little bonus (I think it's +25XP for being Hunted). Also the main reason to pay any attention to it is that the bounty directive reward includes a title and a NS-15 Gallows when you finish it, and there's a daily bounty hunter mission that often has 200 A7 as a reward.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I think my favorite bounty system thing was they banned someone for stat padding for putting like $50 into bounties and hitting "add bounty" for every death. His spm skyrocketed so fast he tripped the automated ban, and afaik didn't undo it, at least not immediately.

I was so excited though when I came back a year or so ago and thought three nerds paid to have me dead. :(

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

i demand residual certs for my op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AggressivelyStupid posted:

i demand residual certs for my op

Sure, 64 certs await you on login.