Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Anyone have a specific website they like for appliance parts? Specifically need a control board for Whirlpool Duet dryer, P/N W10111606. My local parts house is closed til Monday and I'd rather just have something ordered than wait until then to see if they have one or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ebay always worth a look.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
gently caress this thread, the water line to my icemaker is leaking into the bottom of the freezer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

falz posted:

Ebay always worth a look.

Good call, found one from what looks like a good seller. Now I get to hang out at my in-laws house this afternoon to dry clothes.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

gently caress this thread, the water line to my icemaker is leaking into the bottom of the freezer.
That sounds like more of the internals of the freezer than the water line, unless it's leaking where they connect on the back.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You're saying that you need to go a little into the future?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

falz posted:

That sounds like more of the internals of the freezer than the water line, unless it's leaking where they connect on the back.

It is the internals somewhere. I intended "the water feed to the icemaker" but my shorthand was too ambiguous. Regardless, there's a glacier on the bottom on the freezer, so I can either shut off the water supply entirely and hope the cheap saddle valve in the basement ceiling doesn't leak, or I can keep getting ice in the freezer but have to chip off the bottom.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It is the internals somewhere. I intended "the water feed to the icemaker" but my shorthand was too ambiguous. Regardless, there's a glacier on the bottom on the freezer, so I can either shut off the water supply entirely and hope the cheap saddle valve in the basement ceiling doesn't leak, or I can keep getting ice in the freezer but have to chip off the bottom.

This sounds more like a frozen condensation drain. I had to disassemble my freezer and pour boiling water in with a shop vac in the drip tray. Its also why my fridge is on its last strike

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Deviant posted:

This sounds more like a frozen condensation drain. I had to disassemble my freezer and pour boiling water in with a shop vac in the drip tray. Its also why my fridge is on its last strike

I'll look into it. Our fridge isn't even that old. I think the one that came with the house failed seven years ago.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
You know, all I wanted to do was replace the old plywood deck flooring with some composite boards. Ugh

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

And this is how I ended up spending 3k on a concrete patio in my backyard..

I'll just replace some of the boards on the first level. I'll just replace the rotted joists ... Maybe I'll do pavers.. maybe I'll replace both with concrete.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Final Blog Entry posted:

Anyone have a specific website they like for appliance parts? Specifically need a control board for Whirlpool Duet dryer, P/N W10111606. My local parts house is closed til Monday and I'd rather just have something ordered than wait until then to see if they have one or not.

RepairClinic.com

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Crosspost from plumbing thread

I live in a 1924 construction house. When the house was built it was common to have cast iron pipes that were tied into the sewer that were connected to the downspouts. This isn't to code any more, so the downspouts just go to the ground now. What I am left with are some cast iron pipes in the basement that go through the brick foundation to the outside. Ideally I'd like to cut and cap the pipes inside. What is the best way to do this? What is the best fitting to use to cap them? Imgur gallery of the pipes below. There are two larger ones (4"?) and a smaller one (2"). We have some masons repointing the brick, and I'm hoping if I can get this sorted before they are done they can patch the inside as well.

https://imgur.com/a/lyTlIfe

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ErikTheRed posted:

You know, all I wanted to do was replace the old plywood deck flooring with some composite boards. Ugh

Is the slab damaged or is it just gross as hell?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Just moved into our newly purchased house. The bathroom was remodeled back in 2010ish.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my gross looking bathroom walls?

(lol, caulking???)

Not sure if the photos convey how grubby they look. A dry cleaning sponge doesn't do much. This is the only room in the house like this, and is also the only bathroom. We thought it was smoke damage, or maybe soot from candles, but now we think the walls used to be gray, and the previous owners intended to paint them white, but hosed it up.

The bathroom vanity is hosed too. This door was ripped off and the cabinet hinge is bent, other pieces of the vanity hardware look rusted and lovely. If the hinge were replaced, it still can't be screwed in without repairing damage to where it mounts. The particle board is grubby, bubbled in spots, stained. The granite counter top and tiled backsplash seem fine though.

loling at this dirty rear end ceiling and old dusty nutone fan. Can't tell if it's from the 60s or if it's had a rough ten years since the remodel.

What do I do about these gross walls? How can I salvage a bathroom vanity with an acceptable sink/countertop but trash particle board cabinetry that's been damaged? Why did I buy a house?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
To my non-expert eyes that looks like a lovely paint job. If it doesn't smell like smoke (get your nose up in it) and there isn't other evidence of water damage then clean it with tsp and call that the primer coat. Buy good paint and good tools and it will look great.

Edit: Looked at it on a laptop and I feel better about my opinion. Someone either painted over a darker color with a super thin paint job and called it close enough ("I don't know why they're trying to rip me off with that $65/gallon stuff, this $20/gallon HGTV says it's high quality right here on the label!") or someone put up new walls and poorly sealed them so the paint sucked into the drywall. That first coat of primer is for the drywall, not you.

Either way, if you're going to paint this yourself it's time to spend about $200 on tools for painting. High quality brushes in various sizes and shapes, a high quality roller handle, a cheap broom handle from the broom aisle, roller tray, a fat stack of plastic tray liners, 3 pack of rollers, and one of those fancy plastic cups. On your third trip go ahead and grab one of those gallon size pour assist things that clips onto the size of the can. Every trip ask for a stir stick. Wash your brushes thoroughly with running water when you're done for the day, wrap rollers and brushes tightly in a plastic shopping bag (remember those?) to take breaks.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 2, 2021

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

csammis posted:

Is the slab damaged or is it just gross as hell?

Just gross. There was a skull from some small animal and bunch of poop too.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

the holy poopacy posted:

Connected thermostat/fridge makes some degree of sense. If the heat goes out in the middle of winter and you're not home it's really, really good to know so that you can do something about it. Same thing with the AC during the summer, to a lesser extent. Fridge is less critical but still good to know if you need to toss/try to salvage your food because it died.

Other appliances, :shrug:
The non-smart way to see if a freezer in a remote cabin has lost power for an extended period of time: Freeze a glass of water. Put a quarter on top of the ice. Leave it in the freezer.

When you return--if the quarter is at the bottom of the glass, maybe don't eat the frozen shrimp.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Crosspost from plumbing thread

I live in a 1924 construction house. When the house was built it was common to have cast iron pipes that were tied into the sewer that were connected to the downspouts. This isn't to code any more, so the downspouts just go to the ground now. What I am left with are some cast iron pipes in the basement that go through the brick foundation to the outside. Ideally I'd like to cut and cap the pipes inside. What is the best way to do this? What is the best fitting to use to cap them? Imgur gallery of the pipes below. There are two larger ones (4"?) and a smaller one (2"). We have some masons repointing the brick, and I'm hoping if I can get this sorted before they are done they can patch the inside as well.

https://imgur.com/a/lyTlIfe

Fernco caps should do what you need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2-in-PVC-DWV-Flexible-Cap-PQC-102/100372303
SKU# 100372303

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have words for whoever installed 200 feet of drip line buried 12-18 inches underground in a single run around the perimeter of my backyard.
Very angry words.

Never send polyurethane tubing to do a real pipe's job.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Previous owner improvements that were so close to being great. Maybe worth fixing, maybe not.

Any creative thoughts?

The modern composite decking is great! But why does the front deck need to be at such a steep forward incline that it induces vertigo? (The back porch fortunately isn't like this.) And is this possibly fixable without paying for an all-new deck since this one is only like 4 or 5 years old?

(You can see how the neighbors' old deck is slope-corrected in the top of the photo.)

This shed seems well-constructed! But that ramp has quite the footprint considering the small back yard. The shed does house a snowblower (ideal place for it) so steps aren't an immediate answer. Is there some crazy ($$$?) way to like sink the shed to have a level entrance like the garage does? Any insight into why it might have been built this way? (Perhaps to avoid water / something intrinsic to wood vs stone construction? I obviously don't know too much about this stuff!)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

admiraldennis posted:

This shed seems well-constructed! But that ramp has quite the footprint considering the small back yard. The shed does house a snowblower (ideal place for it) so steps aren't an immediate answer. Is there some crazy ($$$?) way to like sink the shed to have a level entrance like the garage does? Any insight into why it might have been built this way? (Perhaps to avoid water / something intrinsic to wood vs stone construction? I obviously don't know too much about this stuff!)

Sinking your bathtub shed is going to cost as much as rebuilding it entirely.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Went to get paint samples from Sherwin-Williams yesterday and no store in the entirety of SoCal has them. Apparently their factory is in Texas and after the big freeze every pipe there burst. They've routed what little manufacturing capability they have into the most popular paints they make and have nothing to spare. They said they hope to ramp up quick enough before their backstock is emptied.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Went to get paint samples from Sherwin-Williams yesterday and no store in the entirety of SoCal has them. Apparently their factory is in Texas and after the big freeze every pipe there burst. They've routed what little manufacturing capability they have into the most popular paints they make and have nothing to spare. They said they hope to ramp up quick enough before their backstock is emptied.

The problem isn't an SW plant in Texas, it's raw materials manufacturers/refiners in Texas who got all hosed up from the freeze and supply manufacturers across the paint industry and related categories like caulks and sealants. It's going to be a mess for a while.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gay_crimes posted:

Just moved into our newly purchased house. The bathroom was remodeled back in 2010ish.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my gross looking bathroom walls?

(lol, caulking???)

Not sure if the photos convey how grubby they look. A dry cleaning sponge doesn't do much. This is the only room in the house like this, and is also the only bathroom. We thought it was smoke damage, or maybe soot from candles, but now we think the walls used to be gray, and the previous owners intended to paint them white, but hosed it up.

The bathroom vanity is hosed too. This door was ripped off and the cabinet hinge is bent, other pieces of the vanity hardware look rusted and lovely. If the hinge were replaced, it still can't be screwed in without repairing damage to where it mounts. The particle board is grubby, bubbled in spots, stained. The granite counter top and tiled backsplash seem fine though.

loling at this dirty rear end ceiling and old dusty nutone fan. Can't tell if it's from the 60s or if it's had a rough ten years since the remodel.

What do I do about these gross walls? How can I salvage a bathroom vanity with an acceptable sink/countertop but trash particle board cabinetry that's been damaged? Why did I buy a house?
I think it's mostly a lovely paint job, but up in the corners in looks like there might be some mildew too. Easy enough to clean up with some bleachwater and they make a spray that supposedly makes a barrier of some sort to prevent it. My bathroom exhaust fan is apparently inadequate and I get some mildew on the ceiling above my shower sometimes.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It looks like there are a handful of places to order kitchen cabinets online that are shipped unassembled. Anyone have any luck or recommendations for one over the others? Or just a general recommendation to avoid entirely?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think it's mostly a lovely paint job, but up in the corners in looks like there might be some mildew too. Easy enough to clean up with some bleachwater and they make a spray that supposedly makes a barrier of some sort to prevent it. My bathroom exhaust fan is apparently inadequate and I get some mildew on the ceiling above my shower sometimes.

We repainted our bathroom ceiling with mold/mildew-resistant paint a few years ago, and haven't had any since then. Whenever we redo that bathroom I intend to put one of those timer switches in it to let the fan run a while longer than it does now after showers, but the paint has been a good solution in lieu of more ventilation.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Can you just remove the ramp, and put it in the shed? Seems like you only really need the ramp to be there before a snowfall.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

There was also an explosion at a paint plant that's a supplier to a bunch of the big brands.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It looks like there are a handful of places to order kitchen cabinets online that are shipped unassembled. Anyone have any luck or recommendations for one over the others? Or just a general recommendation to avoid entirely?

Do you *need* them to be unassembled? We ordered from cabinets.com and are very happy with how they came out. Every cabinet came in it's own box, and the delivery guy put them in our garage.

Getting everything to line up fully with unassembled cabinets sounds pretty tedious, and I doubt it'll be as solid as something factory assembled.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, anyone have any idea why a towel rod would be entombed in the wall of my home?

I was planning to mount a new medicine cabinet inside a wall to replace the lovely one that was mounted on the outside of the wall. So I cut a small hole to see what I was dealing with.

First, I found some existing framing that's really weird. But when I stuck a hand up under that double-2x4 there, I found that the lower one is actually like a 2x2, and behind it, balanced on the stud, is a square towel rod. It couldn't have gotten there by accident; Pinned in the middle above and below, and at the ends by the studs in the wall, the only way to remove it was to cut away the 2x4.

In addition, I found another 2x4 mounted above my hole, and another 2x2 mounted further down in the wall, about at the height of the countertop of the sink. Here, the vertical stud hasn't been removed, it was just notched to insert the 2x2.

I have no loving clue what was here. The framed area is too small for a medicine cabinet, and I don't know what else you'd inset in a bathroom wall like this. Why a towel rod????????

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

admiraldennis posted:

Previous owner improvements that were so close to being great. Maybe worth fixing, maybe not.

Any creative thoughts?

The modern composite decking is great! But why does the front deck need to be at such a steep forward incline that it induces vertigo? (The back porch fortunately isn't like this.) And is this possibly fixable without paying for an all-new deck since this one is only like 4 or 5 years old?

(You can see how the neighbors' old deck is slope-corrected in the top of the photo.)

It was built wrong, full stop.

admiraldennis posted:

That shed wasn't built there. It was dropped off the back of a truck. Since it has no foundation, just a skid, putting it in a hole will just rot it out. I really don't see why you need such a gentle slope to get a snowblower in and out unless you have mobility issues that should probably be preventing you from operating a snowblower.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Thanks.

The shed explanation makes sense. I don't know why the ramp is so long. Thinking I'll replace it with a much shorter ramp, or maybe it's viable to use a lightweight portable metal ramp that I can bust out only when I actually need it.

The deck I suppose I'll just need to get re-done. It's so dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean, the deck needs to be pitched away from the house, so that much is right. It just looks like babys first try and they screwed up the slope calculation. How one would continue on anyway once that became obvious is a mystery to me.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Did you look into Samplize? Ordered a bunch of samples from them recently and they shipped fast. Similar price, and no mess.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

devicenull posted:

Do you *need* them to be unassembled? We ordered from cabinets.com and are very happy with how they came out. Every cabinet came in it's own box, and the delivery guy put them in our garage.

Getting everything to line up fully with unassembled cabinets sounds pretty tedious, and I doubt it'll be as solid as something factory assembled.

No, not a need for unassembled. It's just cheaper and seems less likely to be damaged. Based on Ikea experience, getting them all put together well and level is a fear of mine, so if there are benefits to shipping assembled I'm 100% open to that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We repainted our bathroom ceiling with mold/mildew-resistant paint a few years ago, and haven't had any since then. Whenever we redo that bathroom I intend to put one of those timer switches in it to let the fan run a while longer than it does now after showers, but the paint has been a good solution in lieu of more ventilation.

Good call out, looks like a combo of bad white paint over gray, and mildew! I've been able to scrub a lot of it off with bleach and water, but there was a surprising amount higher up on the tile in the shower.
was particularly gross around this window, wiped up a bunch of gray/black mildew once I had the bleach applied

I took off the janky towel rod mount and this is also looking gross.

I'm worried about water damage but none of the walls/floors are mushy, they're all solid. It seems like a humid room that the previous owners didn't clean well. The plumbing hardware is a bit rusted as is some of the vanity hardware, and the vanity particleboard is peeling and seems damaged from humidity.

Any tips for making this room less mildew prone? I've been running the fan for a long while after showers and popping the tiny window open, but it doesn't seem like enough. This is the first bathroom I've had in a while that didn't have an ac register vent (I'm in TX). I'm having AC work done, would it be worthwhile to get ducts ran to this room? Should I look into a dehumidifier?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

Any tips for making this room less mildew prone? I've been running the fan for a long while after showers and popping the tiny window open, but it doesn't seem like enough. This is the first bathroom I've had in a while that didn't have an ac register vent (I'm in TX). I'm having AC work done, would it be worthwhile to get ducts ran to this room? Should I look into a dehumidifier?

TX may not have a shitload of blown insulation sitting on top of the existing fan. Do you have good access to replace it? Even if it's with the exact same lovely Nutone model, if it's old it may not be pulling much air.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Make sure the fan works. Install a fan timer or a fan that is humidity activated.

Either there is no fan/it's inadequate or the last owners did not turn it on for long enough after showers.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

TX may not have a shitload of blown insulation sitting on top of the existing fan.

Any decent inspector should have immediately seen that there was no proper vent for the fan. It should NOT be affected by insulation over it because it should be getting piped to a proper roof vent.

Of course any number of things could have gone wrong to get us to here.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks, I'll look at replacing the fan, I have access to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

Make sure the fan works. Install a fan timer or a fan that is humidity activated.

Either there is no fan/it's inadequate or the last owners did not turn it on for long enough after showers.

Any decent inspector should have immediately seen that there was no proper vent for the fan. It should NOT be affected by insulation over it because it should be getting piped to a proper roof vent.

Of course any number of things could have gone wrong to get us to here.

The insulation bit was just for ease of replacement. Our upper floor bathroom fan in MN was a pain in the rear end because of so much blown-in insulation sitting on top of it in the attic fell down replacing it. Best case I'm imagining an old fan that's just not running well and can be swapped out relatively easily.