Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

java
May 7, 2005

Looked at a nice townhouse and going to make an offer. Fingers cross this one isn't constructed entirely from problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

There's a lot of caution against buying a home right now because of unsustainable prices.

But in hot markets, like SF, NYC, Boston, etc. Isn't it now or never?

I was looking at housing prices during the 2008 crash for these hot areas. Assuming you bought at the absolute peak before the crash, you still made your equity back in ~6 years.

That doesn't seem terrible? Assuming you want to live in the house for a decade.

And now the equity is even higher.

I realize this is a high-level, simple question and I'm probably missing something obvious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Update: They hosed up the fax and only sent the back of the check.

New thread title?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There's a lot of caution against buying a home right now because of unsustainable prices.

I was looking at housing prices during the 2008 crash for these hot areas. Assuming you bought at the absolute peak before the crash, you still made your equity back in ~6 years.

That doesn't seem terrible? Assuming you want to live in the house for a decade.

I realize this is a high-level, simple question and I'm probably missing something obvious.

I guess my question is why do you care?

If you’re thinking you’re buying a house as an investment, IMO you’re looking at it wrong. If you’re buying a place to live who gives a gently caress what it’s worth in 5 years.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I'm buying a place to live, and we don't intend on moving for at least 10-20 years if ever, so really building equity or investment isn't my concern. Buyers like me are getting priced out of home ownership in general really fast, if I hadn't jumped now I can't say I could buy anything comparable in the next 5 years. Who knows what's going to happen post covid though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Denver's pretty hot, right?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/510-Garfield-St-Denver-CO-80206/13327840_zpid/

Guy has been trying to sell for 10 years. We're now at the exact same price it was listed for back in 2011.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I guess my question is why do you care?

If you’re thinking you’re buying a house as an investment, IMO you’re looking at it wrong. If you’re buying a place to live who gives a gently caress what it’s worth in 5 years.

That's precisely my point. If I just want to live somewhere, the price change in 5 years is (almost) meaningless.

And over 30 years, the pricing of housing in a currently hot market is still likely to be a positive yield because there's generally such a tremendous deficit of housing supply.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Residency Evil posted:

Denver's pretty hot, right?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/510-Garfield-St-Denver-CO-80206/13327840_zpid/

Guy has been trying to sell for 10 years. We're now at the exact same price it was listed for back in 2011.

Sucks to be that guy. It was off the market for 6 of those years though.

And it seems the most drastic competition and growth is in lower price brackets. Luxury housing like that can tend to have more protracted listings, right.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Anyone know of a good resource for reading about FHA vs conventional loans for first-time buyers?
I'm looking for more details than the 1-2 paragraph summaries I've seen, but not something where I'd need a finance or law background to make heads or tales of a hundred pages of info.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Down in Portland visiting family and we stopped to look at a couple open houses, I still feel even with the houses prices inflated here it’s still reasonable and in talking with agents they’re not going for 100-200k over asking price. We could sell our home and buy something 3x the size here at the same price.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

poeticoddity posted:

Anyone know of a good resource for reading about FHA vs conventional loans for first-time buyers?
I'm looking for more details than the 1-2 paragraph summaries I've seen, but not something where I'd need a finance or law background to make heads or tales of a hundred pages of info.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fhaloan.asp

Investopedia has a table in that breaks down conventional vs. FHA. Being a first time buyer shouldn’t matter unless there’s a special program in your area.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Motronic posted:

Feels like the right time to drop this bomb in. It came from Reddit:

It's a scorching hot take, but I can't say I disagree. One thing I love about visiting my friend's 160-year-old San Jose victorian is that it's still got rooms. They don't believe in HGTVing the original character of the house. Does it make it harder to "GATHER" in the home so we can "LIVE LAUGH LOVE" together? Maybe a little, but we're all adults and can figure out how to say "excuse me" when we need to get past. And we do so without sacrificing an actual honest-to-god piece of history.

My own tiny house is so small that by necessity, the dining room spills into the living room, but at least the kitchen has a pocket door that can completely close it off. I never understood the love affair with kitchens anyway. Most Americans are so divorced from the idea of cooking their own food that the focus on having a big kitchen makes no sense to me. We cook almost 100% of our food at home and we have a kitchen the size of a large walk in closet AND we share that space with the laundry. It works for us--we cook the food, then we GTFO and enjoy it.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I never understood the love affair with kitchens anyway. Most Americans are so divorced from the idea of cooking their own food that the focus on having a big kitchen makes no sense to me.

It is the only room left where you can entertain guests. Everyone just stands around the kitchen island, or sits at the dining table. All American "living" rooms are now just pews for giant flat-screen TVs that are mounted neck-snappingly high above a non-functional fireplace mantel.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I don't see the problem with people coming in while I'm cooking. Hand them a peeler and let them work. If they don't like me moving around constantly they can huddle in a corner.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

ho fan posted:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fhaloan.asp

Investopedia has a table in that breaks down conventional vs. FHA. Being a first time buyer shouldn’t matter unless there’s a special program in your area.

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think to check Investopedia since I'm subscribed to their daily e-mail.
I mentioned it only because I'm not selling an existing house so I'm not going to have an enormous down-payment to throw at a new mortgage.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

umbrage posted:

It is the only room left where you can entertain guests. Everyone just stands around the kitchen island, or sits at the dining table. All American "living" rooms are now just pews for giant flat-screen TVs that are mounted neck-snappingly high above a non-functional fireplace mantel.

I saw a house the other day where the tv was mounted way higher (probably 8ft) than I had ever seen before because the fireplace + mantle was fairly tall. I don’t know how that family didn’t have neck pains at that height. You’d have to be laying on your back and looking up.

I personally don’t like the formal dining/living room areas as they go unused most of the time at least for us. I wouldn’t find much use in it because when we have friends over it’s more casual and they hang out while we cook and we can keep an eye on the little kids. The newer houses we’ve seen have a open kitchen and great room with a family/bonus room upstairs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Glumwheels posted:

Down in Portland visiting family and we stopped to look at a couple open houses, I still feel even with the houses prices inflated here it’s still reasonable and in talking with agents they’re not going for 100-200k over asking price. We could sell our home and buy something 3x the size here at the same price.

No. Go Away! We already have enough Californians/Washingtonians loving things up with money from their even crazier housing markets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think to check Investopedia since I'm subscribed to their daily e-mail.
I mentioned it only because I'm not selling an existing house so I'm not going to have an enormous down-payment to throw at a new mortgage.

Generally speaking avoid fha if at all possible. It's very expensive post housing bubble. What % down do you have right now? If it's below 10% consider not buying yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

I saw a house the other day where the tv was mounted way higher (probably 8ft) than I had ever seen before because the fireplace + mantle was fairly tall. I don’t know how that family didn’t have neck pains at that height. You’d have to be laying on your back and looking up.

This is a popular take here, and I don't get it. Do goon eyes not have vertical movement capability? Do you all just crane your necks up and down to change your sight elevation?

I just don't have a problem with it. It bothers no one else in my family either. Fire places in older home are literally made to be the centerpiece of the room. Unless you want to arrange furniture to de-emphasize that and towards an alternate TV mounting location thereby losing those good sitting around the fireplace nights there doesn't seem to be much of a more appropriate location.

On your formal dining room stuff, that's very much dependent on your entertaining style. If it doesn't work for you then absolutely don't get a house with one/repurpose it. But it works for us and it gets used regularly. Well....it did. We still eat in there sometimes just for a change of pace.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

umbrage posted:

Never been a problem for me, or other friends who have non-open houses. (Granted, we have yet to entertain in the new place.) Entertaining happens in the living room or patio. It is funny how people congregate in the kitchen, though. Open or closed, people will still jam themselves where they think food will be. I threw a party once where ALL the food/drinks were outside the kitchen, and people STILL congregated there. Just another reason I am happy our kitchen can be closed off. No one needs to see the mess I made while prepping, and they can still chat/eat/drink/whatever.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My favorite new house-shopping experience today was opening a closet cabinet door and finding an unsecured Glock 19 along with boxes of 9mm ammo beside it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GEMorris posted:

My favorite new house-shopping experience today was opening a closet cabinet door and finding an unsecured Glock 19 along with boxes of 9mm ammo beside it.

God that is dumb as gently caress. That's a good gun but that's really dumb.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Inner Light posted:

God that is dumb as gently caress. That's a good gun but that's really dumb.

Toyota Corolla taste in guns
Ford Pinto taste in gun safety

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GEMorris posted:

Toyota Corolla taste in guns
Ford Pinto taste in gun safety

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I see you’ve toured GGGC’s home

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
What would you offer if you really liked this place in Port Angeles, WA?

https://rebrand.ly/h1nwx68

It's listed at $429k - and my wife and I are *extremely* excited about this place. It's gorgeous to an extent that the photos don't convey, and the drive in is among the prettiest drives I've ever done. It's small and there's no bathroom on the second floor, but we really don't care - it's tier 1 gorgeous outside with a huge shop/garage, RV pad, parking, even room for animals.

We could probably tap out at around $520k if we really had to - but would that be enough? Or should we offer lower with some kind of escalation clause?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

stellers bae posted:

We could probably tap out at around $520k if we really had to - but would that be enough? Or should we offer lower with some kind of escalation clause?

Do you have an agent that knows that market? Like without knowing anything about the market, how would you know how much to offer? Going straight to 100k over is pretty extreme without knowing anything. Since I don't know anything about the market, and it has the list price 30% over the zestimate from before it was listed, I'd wager that list might be fair since most places are up ~30%ish, but again I know nothing about the market in port angeles.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

gwrtheyrn posted:

Do you have an agent that knows that market? Like without knowing anything about the market, how would you know how much to offer? Going straight to 100k over is pretty extreme without knowing anything. Since I don't know anything about the market, and it has the list price 30% over the zestimate from before it was listed, I'd wager that list might be fair since most places are up ~30%ish, but again I know nothing about the market in port angeles.

We do - she feels that $500k would be the top, but that the market's gone crazy and that ultimately we should offer what we want to pay. I honestly think the Zestimate really undervalued the house for the land/views/outbuildings, but maybe I'm just too excited about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You already sound way too emotionally attached to this property.

Looks like a nice second home/weekend/vacation place, you planning on living there full time?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I drove through Port Angeles on my way from Victoria BC to St Louis. What exactly does anyone do there for a living? Who even knows the place exists other than from the Twilight movies?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stellers bae posted:

We do - she feels that $500k would be the top, but that the market's gone crazy and that ultimately we should offer what we want to pay. I honestly think the Zestimate really undervalued the house for the land/views/outbuildings, but maybe I'm just too excited about it.

You're too emotionally attached. Hell your realtor probably is starting to think "gently caress it, it's more commission" based on what I feel through these two posts. You're looking at tacking on another 30% ontop of the 30%. Looking at the houses "in town" you're already at the high end of the market, and not everyone loves being that isolated. You should take a deep breath and ask how many offers that place is going to get, and stick to escalations with a requirement to show the competing offer, and keep the drat financing contingency.

I bet asking or just over gets it done.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
We'd live there full time once we're out of the soon-to-expire occupancy requirement on our primary residence. We both work remotely and Starlink/Fixed Broadband/Cell all work in the area.

Is it cheezy to offer something like $450k with a bigger escalation, like to $500k? We'll definitely ask for the competing offer - but you think keep the normal financing contingency and don't offer to pay any over appraisal?

And that's Forks in the Twilight movies, thank you very much.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cacafuego posted:

I see you’ve toured GGGC’s home

Bwahaha.

Not one of my guns was legal in California though so I had to say goodbye to them all last year :negative:

I'll get a Barrett 50bmg to celebrate next summer

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stellers bae posted:

We'd live there full time once we're out of the soon-to-expire occupancy requirement on our primary residence. We both work remotely and Starlink/Fixed Broadband/Cell all work in the area.

Is it cheezy to offer something like $450k with a bigger escalation, like to $500k? We'll definitely ask for the competing offer - but you think keep the normal financing contingency and don't offer to pay any over appraisal?

You can make the decision on cash to cover when you get back the appraisal. If it comes in at the zestimate price (pretend) do you have the $150k cash to cover the spread? On top of your 20% down payment? And the rest of the closing costs?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

stellers bae posted:

And that's Forks in the Twilight movies, thank you very much.

There's not much point in offering more than asking start with an escalation. Either you'll have an offer to compete against, or they'll counter based on your max escalation if they don't get anything else to get the price they're looking for. You're putting all your cards on the table anyways, so there's no point in starting over asking. I took a very quick look at whats listed in town and some recent sales, and I definitely don't think it's worth over $450k, but who the hell knows in TYOOL 2021.

Forks is also known for some uh...other recent events

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

There's not much point in offering more than asking start with an escalation. Either you'll have an offer to compete against, or they'll counter based on your max escalation if they don't get anything else to get the price they're looking for. You're putting all your cards on the table anyways, so there's no point in starting over asking.

At no point in our home buying experience were we ever asked to make a counter offer, we just got told that we were beaten by a million offers with better terms and that was that RIP

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I found corroded 22 shells in the house we bought when we looked through it on Wednesday.

Regarding the tv above the fireplace question, I'm in the same boat. The new house has the fireplace as the main attraction and they've mounted the tv above it. We'll see how it goes for a while on that location, otherwise we might consider some other solution.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

At no point in our home buying experience were we ever asked to make a counter offer, we just got told that we were beaten by a million offers with better terms and that was that RIP

I've heard back 4 times during offer review and given opportunities to amend my offer to beat whatever they said was highest. That being said, if you offer asking to +100k and you're the only offer, you will probably hear back with a counter well above asking since you've already basically told them you're willing to pay 100k over asking.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We temporarily put the TV on the mantle where it was obviously too high, and it ended up being perfectly comfortable and we never even considered moving it again. I think maybe it isn't actually an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wtf is going on with this “pool” exactly?