Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Back when I still had a car all my money would go into keeping it running. Gas, parts, oil, insurance, it loving sucked and I hated having to put effort into getting where I needed to go. Mass transit is a lot better, I can just tune out and not worry about being liable if the vehicle gets in a wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gonna bring back cars

I drove a Jetta S which was decent, I asked them for their best cash offer on my car, KBB is 9600, they offered 8200 lol

carvana 11250

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

super sweet best pal posted:

Back when I still had a car all my money would go into keeping it running. Gas, parts, oil, insurance, it loving sucked and I hated having to put effort into getting where I needed to go. Mass transit is a lot better, I can just tune out and not worry about being liable if the vehicle gets in a wreck.

getting to actually listen to music on the bus instead of having it as background nice is real nice tbh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

this time it is different, because they have both motive and means to make the stock market go up forever.

dow 100,000!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I take the train to work when it isn’t pandemic time, gently caress a daily commute by car

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

gonna bring back cars

I drove a Jetta S which was decent, I asked them for their best cash offer on my car, KBB is 9600, they offered 8200 lol

carvana 11250

update I went and edited my car info because I realized I didn't have the premium plus package (I have "premium" which is the base trim) and the offer went UP 64 dollars lmao

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

if i have to pick between affordable cars and breathable air, i'll pick the latter any day

congrats you get neither

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sounds like someone didnt own a honda or toyota

but yes, mass transit is way better, although actual good mass transit is the domain of bougie who can afford to live near close to good trains. most of the time for a large % of america, a bus ride will take like 2x as long, unreliable, and if you're a relatively attractive young female then also a fair bit of sexual harassment/assault.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

yeah this is literally the textbook example of our cool economy keeping people in poverty

if you're low on cash you buy a cheap car and constantly have to do maintenance until you buy another junker in two years

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cloks posted:

yeah this is literally the textbook example of our cool economy keeping people in poverty

if you're low on cash you buy a cheap car and constantly have to do maintenance until you buy another junker in two years

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned

quote:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Take that example and apply it to consumer credit. Can’t buy X outright? Well we can loan you the money at a % rate per annum so you end up paying more for the same item that someone who has the money to buy it with cash and oh we have made certain items that are almost a requirement aka cars, smart phones so expensive that only a fraction of the population can buy cash and everyone else has to get it on credit. Oh and if the rich want credit well we give it to them at 0% interest anyway lol.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It's always been expensive to be poor. Fines and fees always represent a greater percentage of a poor person's wealth.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:hmmorks:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

yup

when you're poor, trying to pay bills is a nightmare even when you have the money to cover them

when you have a steady income and direct deposit your wages into a no-fee checking account you can pay bills online without even thinking about it

but when you're unbanked for whatever reason, every bill has extra predatory fees (wiring fees, check cashing fees, etc) and hoops to jump through

when you're cash only, paying bills is slower and more laborious, which leads to late payments and even more fees!

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
one time my bank did the old "reorder the transactions to generate multiple overdrafts" trick to get me so overdrawn that by the time I could pay my power bill I had to do it with a cashier's check.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That seems bad

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am distressed by this screen I don't understand

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

I am distressed by this screen I don't understand

someone lost a lot of money

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

and that's why you don't play with naked options

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

a man who bets against number, is no man at all

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Trading naked options is dumb when you can just go so far out of the money and cover yourself for a buck you can still get hosed but there is a limit on how hosed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

cool av posted:

a man who bets against number, is no man at all

That's the part that I didn't understand. How you gonna bet against number?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

That's the part that I didn't understand. How you gonna bet against number?

Like the mighty Icarus they too flew too close to the sun

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

will elon bring up crypto tonight on snl during his monologue, during a skit, or will a whole skit be about doge? either way, it’s fun to live in a world where an idiot con man will pump idiot scams on live tv, and this might have severe financial repercussions lmao

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They all eventually burn oil. Obviously do the proper break-in stuff, but if you keep it long enough (like 100k+ miles), you'll want to carry a spare quart.

Also Subaru is pretty good about returning customers. And they know they can probably get $20k for your old one.

Good to know. I stick to glass or papers personally, because smoking a flexible bowl or bong is just weird to me. Let the young'ns do their thing, I'll do mine.

paper things can have BPA or BPS on them especially food containers for greasy things

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

will elon bring up crypto tonight on snl during his monologue, during a skit, or will a whole skit be about doge? either way, it’s fun to live in a world where an idiot con man will pump idiot scams on live tv, and this might have severe financial repercussions lmao

Going on SNL worked out for TRUMP, so I'm assuming Elon will get the Constitution amended and win the Presidency as well. MUSK!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Horseshoe theory posted:

Going on SNL worked out for TRUMP, so I'm assuming Elon will get the Constitution amended and win the Presidency as well. MUSK!

gently caress that, just run anyway. who would stop him

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Centrist Committee posted:

gently caress that, just run anyway. who would stop him

the "must have been a US citizen from day zero" rule, possibly?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rules aren't real

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

silentsnack posted:

the "must have been a US citizen from day zero" rule, possibly?

Laws aren't real.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
The rich like Bezos, Musk, Waltons, Pharma CEO, Gates already run the country why do they want to run for public office.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Beaten, will not edit.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1388674936525533190

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

drat that guy is just rubbing his bread hoard in everyone's faces. rude

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i cant think of anything else to say but why? this cant be just because of the explosion right? :smith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Capitalism, yo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
is it safe to donate here? https://lebanesefoodbank.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Radirot posted:

i cant think of anything else to say but why? this cant be just because of the explosion right? :smith:

There hasn’t been a functional government there since shortly after the explosion since it collapsed.