Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Is there a way to enable gates in a new game without following the storyline? I have the console mod and can add the device, but I can't scan gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

So I am using the Mayasuran Navy mod but their only world almost always gets invaded and destroyed by the Hegemony pretty early game.

How can I best help them survive (so I can later raid them for their blueprints)? Would destroying Hegemony trading convoys disrupt their economy enough that they wouldn't launch invasion fleets on the poor Boys in Blue?

LegoMan posted:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16940.0

it works despite being for an earlier version just change the mod_info file line to

"gameVersion": "0.95a-RC15", (or whatever RC you have I guess we're on 15 now?)

thx for link

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mordecai posted:

Is there a way to enable gates in a new game without following the storyline? I have the console mod and can add the device, but I can't scan gates.

You have to use the device in your inventory to officially add it to your ship, I believe.

LegoMan posted:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16940.0

it works despite being for an earlier version just change the mod_info file line to

"gameVersion": "0.95a-RC15", (or whatever RC you have I guess we're on 15 now?)

Thanks fam

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RuckusRouser posted:

So I am using the Mayasuran Navy mod but their only world almost always gets invaded and destroyed by the Hegemony pretty early game.

If that's with nex you basically just have to turn faction respawning on. They get wiped out really easy unfortunately but you can build them back up later by colonizing worlds and handing them to the faction.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
out of curiosity (never actually played with it on): where do annihilated factions respawn?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

OwlFancier posted:

If that's with nex you basically just have to turn faction respawning on. They get wiped out really easy unfortunately but you can build them back up later by colonizing worlds and handing them to the faction.

It's with Nex yeah, I'll do that then. There's no mechanics to slow down the military might of a faction though? Other than the obvious "destroy their invasion fleets"

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet

Vengarr posted:

God. Yes please. Do you have a link? I don’t see it in the mod index.

Wisp made a new better neutrino detector mod with a bit more fanciness, item blips are way more exaggerated with the update they made today.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21140.0

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

RuckusRouser posted:

It's with Nex yeah, I'll do that then. There's no mechanics to slow down the military might of a faction though? Other than the obvious "destroy their invasion fleets"
there is another possibility. if you generate a random map then mayasura will almost certainly have more worlds.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 2, 2021

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Been playing the story line. My current mission objective is guarded by a Tach fleet with 6 Dooms. 6 Dooms each with 2 built in mods and Officers.

I haven't been able to kill one of them. I haven't been able to kill one of the little phase destroyers in the fleet.

I'm just going to ghost it at this point but Jesus Christ man.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

axelord posted:

Been playing the story line. My current mission objective is guarded by a Tach fleet with 6 Dooms. 6 Dooms each with 2 built in mods and Officers.

I haven't been able to kill one of them. I haven't been able to kill one of the little phase destroyers in the fleet.

There's a mod that removes the Doom phase mine system in favor of entropy, if you wanna try that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

axelord posted:

Is that the mission where you have to scan gates? If so you can just go to some other gate.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

The payload a Dadao drops is magnificent, it's pretty much a A10 Warthog in space.

Nalesh posted:

That they just throw the kitchen sink at enemies.

DatonKallandor posted:

The fact that most of it's strike is unguided makes it feel really like a real torpedo bomber. It also isn't OP and the visuals are fantastic. Best bomber.

Heh, solid points and cannot argue against them but to put all that another way. The Dadao is like filling a trash can with fireworks and dumping it on someone's head.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

axelord posted:

You don't need to fight them, just scan the thing and go.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

I found a conquest with degraded shields and compromised hull. This is early, I’m on my first cruiser with two frigates and some support ships. Is this worth keeping and using?

Followup: I closed the game incorrectly or something. And since I’m playing iron man and there’s no auto save that’s a couple hours down the drain. I think I’m just going to start over and cheat a bunch of money because gently caress this.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

Followup: I closed the game incorrectly or something. And since I’m playing iron man and there’s no auto save that’s a couple hours down the drain. I think I’m just going to start over and cheat a bunch of money because gently caress this.

DO NOT USE IRONMAN MODE! There is a huge number of things that can cause you to crash or otherwise brick your save, multiply that by a 100 when you add mods.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SugarAddict posted:

DO NOT USE IRONMAN MODE!

Seriously, not even when you are ironman-ing.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So I tried something just to see what happened, and a legit fun way to play the game is with all ship speeds and manoeuvrability increased by ~20-50.

Not the same game, but entertaining for a while.
Fights happen faster, enemies and allies are more slippery, facing is less important.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ballerina Dominators

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

axelord posted:

Oh if you’re where I think you are...
Mild spoilers: A heading is not the same as a destination.
Moderate spoilers: Remember what capabilities you stole from Tri-Tach earlier

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

If I had the self control to Iron Man myself, I wouldn't need Iron Man!

I mean, exaggeration, but emotionally there's a lot more tension and investment knowing *at best* I can reset to the start of my play session. With the addition of story points most situations are survivable, perhaps too survivable - the only time I've wiped was when I was trapped so hard by multiple remnant fleets that they kept reengaging and draining my SP before I could leave.

and worst case scenario, leveling a character in Starsector is so fast compared to i.e. Mount and Blade that its nbd to start a new game..

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Travic posted:

Did they nerf colony income? I seem to remember getting hundreds of thousands of credits every month. Now it's about 70,000. Granted I'm not fully developed, but drat.

Oh past Travic. You're so silly.

:eyepop:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Commerce + Dealmaker Holosuite + Alpha Core + Improvement = 310% boost to income = $$$$$, yes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah 0.95a didn't nerf colonies much, and may even have buffed them. it's basically just a change in how it's narratively justified from "the colony is really big" to "you have this cool Domain-era tech"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Travic posted:

Oh past Travic. You're so silly.

:eyepop:

Colonies do start up slower than before, and they can be a huge money drain if you settle on a non-habitable world. But the end-state is still very much worth it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does commerce boost the entire combined colony income or just income from population?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All income as far as I am aware, it's tremendously powerful.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Colonies do start up slower than before, and they can be a huge money drain if you settle on a non-habitable world. But the end-state is still very much worth it.

Until you start settling planets near Crysoleepers and shove an alpha core on the revival facility with Open Ports and watch it get +28% growth per month.

I've been settling planets just for Privateer bases on Industrial Evolution and... alpha revival facilities are intense.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

RuckusRouser posted:

Steal the Hegemony's pristine nanoforge and keep their orbital industry crippled. That will force them to use ships with loads of d-mods.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Complications posted:

Commerce + Dealmaker Holosuite + Alpha Core + Improvement = 310% boost to income = $$$$$, yes

I got two Holosuites this run.

:20bux: :frogc00l: :20bux:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also decivilize their industrial worlds but that doesn't necessarily help with your invasion problem in the short term :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

RuckusRouser posted:

Seconding stealing their Pristine Nanoforge. It’s a major heist that requires some careful planning and investment, but it is very much worth it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Usually I get at least one of every special item and a few doubles, but this run all I got were buckets of corrupted forges. No space elevator, no bio-factory, not even the fuel core thingy. Searched every system too! Now I'm grinding that mod that lets you visit a random high level system and I've at least got the fuel thingy and the space elevator.

I do wish the exploration phase of the game lasted longer and it was easier to track what you've really exhaustively searched or not. Or more frequent quests or hot tips on rare items that are actually out there once you've explored everything.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Baronjutter posted:

I do wish the exploration phase of the game lasted longer and it was easier to track what you've really exhaustively searched or not. Or more frequent quests or hot tips on rare items that are actually out there once you've explored everything.

i go back to survey every planetary body after i've exhausted a system of any new finds. the map shows sytems that you've fully explored or not on hover. i like that second suggestion though, maybe through high level contacts?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Baronjutter posted:

Usually I get at least one of every special item and a few doubles, but this run all I got were buckets of corrupted forges. No space elevator, no bio-factory, not even the fuel core thingy. Searched every system too! Now I'm grinding that mod that lets you visit a random high level system and I've at least got the fuel thingy and the space elevator.

I don't think I've ever seen one of everything. I was starting to wonder if games were all seeded to not have certain items as I always get like 4-5 of a few items and none of one or two others, but if you've found everything in one game then maybe not. It even seemed to carry on over to Beyond the Sector systems - I've only found items that I already found in the Sector. For example in my current run after exploring the Sector and a few BTS systems I found four of the (worthless) ground defence upgrades, two of the refinery upgrades, and FIVE holosuites, but zero of the mining or farming upgrades.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
My first game of the update where I explored every single system I never found a space elevator cable or a farming booster. Made for a couple neat surprises during my second game at least.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Just finished my first dedicated campaign playthrough (the story missions, at least) and here are my thoughts on some mods I've been using:

Trailer Moments - makes weapons look a little better, but, honestly, I can't tell what the differences are.
Captain's Log - pretty neat, some QoL intel stuff
Combat Chatter - pretty fun, even if the meme-y ones are a bit obnoxious. Thankfully, those personalities are rare. Goes well with Starship Legends.
Kadur Remnant - adds some mid-tech ships, feels like it fits the lore pretty well, although I didn't use many of their weapons
Luddic Enhancement - gives the Church some more ships it can use
Mayasuran Navy - bunch of lore-friendly ships, including some (M) versions in a dope blue and white color scheme
Missing Ships - adds a lot of lore-friendly ships, including some converted liners and cargo ships for pirates and Pathers. i'm a big fan of the staple-class battlecruiser.
Outer Rim Alliance - not a big fan of this one, tbqh. while the ships look cool, and the Taiidan-inspired paint scheme mod is amazing, they don't feel like they fit the Starsector lore as-is. I also feel like their big, blocky design leans more towards lumbering gunboats than nimble laser ships. will probably remove this one from future playthroughs.
Roider Union - adds a bunch of up-armored and converted civilian ships, roiders who go around mining, and so on.
Scy Nation - very cool, I love the ship designs and how they fight, and they feel pretty lore-friendly
Starship Legends - ships and crew gain personality and traits over time, a nice addition
Stellar Networks - lets you find weapons and cargo and ships, useful
Terraforming and Station Construction - cool in concept but, really, kinda overpowered. may remove from future playthroughs.
Torchships and Deadly Armaments - a few weird and wonderful ships, feel like they fit in perfectly
Underworld - gives the pirates a lot of cool ships, junker battlewagons and so on. there's also a feature for the Starlight Cabal (a sort of goofy one-percenter pirate group) but I turned it off because it seems a. obnoxious and b. not lore-friendly.
Unknown Skies - not sure what it adds, but I think it added a bunch of new stuff to find on planets.
Vayra's Ship Pack - again, a bunch of lore-friendly ships. my big issue with this one is I think it adds some very mean loadouts to the cruiser drones you can find at Mothership wrecks, which makes those things waaaay more difficult to take on. both good and bad, really, but it felt like a significant change from my vanilla playthrough.

waiting for ship/weapon pack and tiandong industries to update before I try those.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 3, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I use adjusted sector and my first move is always to visit all the systems right near the core to find a good colony spot. I'll dump two colonies in the same system with all my starting cash and from there it's just a matter of time.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

First time I've seen Missing Ships described as lore friendly lol

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

Terraforming and Station Construction - cool in concept but, really, kinda overpowered. may remove from future playthroughs.

I find DIY Planets to be a more balanced version of it, although terraforming is always going to be immensely powerful, you can't just have a cheap industry constantly giving some points towards terraforming and have to actually track down lostech stuff and setup infrastructure instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one of everything. I was starting to wonder if games were all seeded to not have certain items as I always get like 4-5 of a few items and none of one or two others, but if you've found everything in one game then maybe not. It even seemed to carry on over to Beyond the Sector systems - I've only found items that I already found in the Sector. For example in my current run after exploring the Sector and a few BTS systems I found four of the (worthless) ground defence upgrades, two of the refinery upgrades, and FIVE holosuites, but zero of the mining or farming upgrades.

That's probably correct. In this game I've found several of most everything, but not the refinery or farming upgrades.

Maybe the Historian can help me out?