Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sesq posted:

New promo video for Village. Apparently it's first in a series

https://youtu.be/7-Bq9nV-uHg

This is this most adorable bloodbath ever :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just beat the Claire path in this run of the 2 remake. Man, if 4 wasn't such an odd gem, this would be the best in the series. It's so perfectly tuned and polished, and it hits a great midpoint between leaving you wanting more and overstaying its welcome, with extremely little wasted space. And that's just the main campaign, ignoring the optional differences between campaigns and B stories. I'm really looking forward to 4 in this framework on a gameplay level, regardless of whether or not the game *needs* an update.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I got told I should post this here, so -

I did a quick and dirty translation of the dialogue in that new commercial HERE. Enjoy!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hokuto posted:

I got told I should post this here, so -

I did a quick and dirty translation of the dialogue in that new commercial HERE. Enjoy!

Thank you for this!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
spotted this in the wild and it seemed apt

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"3D was hard" - Shinji Mikami

Not even an exaggeration

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've started a series playthrough in anticipation of 8, but I'm still cautiously optimistic rather than excited. I've currently beat Zero and half way through RE:Make, so I have a ways to go (although RE:make 2 and 3 should be very quick unless I do fresh, zero gimmick weapon plays).

Anyway, the 2002 remake is an excellent game and easily in the top 3 of the series and you camera angle hating putzes just need to accept it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

Anyway, the 2002 remake is an excellent game and easily in the top 3 of the series and you camera angle hating putzes just need to accept it.

Too long for a thread title?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Too long for a thread title?

This is the forums tech upgrade our new overlords should be working on!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Disco Pope posted:

I've started a series playthrough in anticipation of 8, but I'm still cautiously optimistic rather than excited. I've currently beat Zero and half way through RE:Make, so I have a ways to go (although RE:make 2 and 3 should be very quick unless I do fresh, zero gimmick weapon plays).

What if I love fixed camera angles and tank controls but think Crimson Heads are the worst, most boneheaded design decision ever?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
avoid the zombies and/or use the kerosene

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Crimson Heads are good and they should've brought them back for the 2 remake.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, crimson heads look cool and make you tactically consider resources and routes aka the thing that made the early RE games fun (apart from cool monsters)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Heads are a genuinely excellent gameplay design decision and one I feel like is missed out on ever since. Making killing zombies a potentially dangerous situation instead of an obviously-must-do really makes you consider your choices in a way that pure ammo conservation doesn't and adds new tension to the gameplay without making it particularly more punishing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Agree that Crimson Heads were a good idea and added a much needed layer of depth to the remake. I made it about half way through and it was great and I don't dislike tank controls as a rule but my muscle memory just failed to cooperate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i prefer to kill monsters over awkwardly dodging past them every time i need to pass through a room.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And those fuckers remain terrifying even after encountering multiple of them. Crimson Heads are fantastic, and I wish they'd reappear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is there enough to the first game that there could ever realistically be a remake/expansion in the modern vein? I really don't have a feel for much about it other than being set in the central mansion, I guess 2 must've had more to build from since it was evidently the natural place to start with remakes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
REmake already was an expansion on the original ps1 version

like 2r and 3r are already 3hr games, and at least on the claire side the sherry sidequest is entirely unnecessary, why would a 3rd person re-remake need to add even more?

e: tbh i find the idea of re-remaking 1 pretty pointless but upon reflection making it 1st person would probably work much better for the cramped hallways and such than 3rd

site fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 1, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, I was just assuming it was small enough in scope that it would need to be bigger for Capcom to justify dumping money into it, not that I demand whole new plot lines or something. My vague impression of it was that it'd be more like the 2 remake with just the police station area.

e: the only reason I'm interested in it is that I just can't handle the old style camera, so it'd give me more RE to play.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Honestly RE 1 remake in 7 style would probably do gangbusters sales especially if they make it VR.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, I was just assuming it was small enough in scope that it would need to be bigger for Capcom to justify dumping money into it, not that I demand whole new plot lines or something. My vague impression of it was that it'd be more like the 2 remake with just the police station area.

e: the only reason I'm interested in it is that I just can't handle the old style camera, so it'd give me more RE to play.

i'd imagine that they would artifically extend the length by making it more combat heavy via more enemies scattered throughout the mansion since you could actually aim and stuff, and then turn all the mini boss fights (trevor, yawn 1 & 2, lisa, probably plant 42 would get a re-work) into "real" boss fights

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It wouldn't be hard to extend RE1 very much especially if you made Jill and Chris meaningfully different campaigns even if just in the way Clare and Leon were in RE2make.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Is there anything different about this hour long Village demo?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The REmake is probably still my favorite game in the whole series. I think there would be diminishing returns to remaking it again over just making a new game. It would just be a plot exercise for people who haven't played it already and don't want/can't do the tank control style but want to see the story and say they've played 'Resident Evil 1.'

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So how is the performance on PC? Especially since I believe there's no dlss for Nvidia cards?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Kenzo posted:

Is there anything different about this hour long Village demo?

It's just the last two demos in one package, but with an hour time limit. You can spread your play time across both, or if you really wanted to you could use the hour to more thoroughly explore one of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't finish the village demo in time, but I figured with the game coming out in a week I'll see it again soon enough anyway. Plus, I've got Pokémon to be photographing :sweatdrop:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shiroc posted:

The REmake is probably still my favorite game in the whole series. I think there would be diminishing returns to remaking it again over just making a new game. It would just be a plot exercise for people who haven't played it already and don't want/can't do the tank control style but want to see the story and say they've played 'Resident Evil 1.'
Agreed. The only way I can really see it being justified would be as a complete reimagining, in terms of gameplay and structure, and somewhat of plot. Make the Jill and Chris campaigns concurrent, but covering different parts of the story, and expand certain areas/parts of the story that don't get covered in the current versions. Like, expand the Chris campaign backwards into the forest, maybe he stumbles on some half-eaten hikers in a cabin, before arriving in the mansion way later than the main group.

Alternatively, or on top of it, if they really wanted to surprise people - Rebecca and Barry mini-campaigns, each emphasizing different aspects of the core gameplay. There is a lot of things you could do, but it really should be a major evolution on the existing games, not just a 1-to-1 remake but first person.

site posted:

i'd imagine that they would artifically extend the length by making it more combat heavy via more enemies scattered throughout the mansion since you could actually aim and stuff, and then turn all the mini boss fights (trevor, yawn 1 & 2, lisa, probably plant 42 would get a re-work) into "real" boss fights
Yeah, that makes sense too. Wesker is all about that combat data, might as well push that plot point. Like, he's running around putting up spy cams in places where he expects you to fight for your life. You could even play with that by having classic camera angles in (certain) cinematics, where Wesker is observing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been playing re2r all night and I have to say, for all the complaints recently about REmake, it's really fuckin weird to have the most basic zombie enemies take 6-8 headshots to put down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

I've been playing re2r all night and I have to say, for all the complaints recently about REmake, it's really fuckin weird to have the most basic zombie enemies take 6-8 headshots to put down

Yeah it fuckin rules

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
REmake 1 in VR would be a logical step since Umbrella Chronicles was in 1st person.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
If they're going as far as doing another remake of re1 I think at that point they need to do something with the remake 'universe' beyond just letting it die as a triple dip on nostalgia, would seem pretty creatively wasteful otherwise. I'd like to see a full reboot with that cast.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 2, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

lurker2006 posted:

If they're going as far as doing another remake of re1 I think at that point they need to do something with the remake 'universe' beyond just letting it die as a triple dip on nostalgia, would seem pretty creatively wasteful otherwise. I'd like to see a full reboot with that cast.

I'd be a little concerned that any large extension would take away from the economy of the series at its best, something that 4 and then 7 seemed to restore. 1-3 work well in broad strokes (there was a zombie outbreak caused by an unethical megacorp in a mansion and then in a city) and expansion to that give us opera singing anime slug-men and a Wesker who *really* liked the Matrix. Its really 5&6 that need done right with 0 and CV being kind of memory-holed, but both would need major overhauls and the take away should be "there are other bioweapons and the world has black-market monsters now".

I totally would like to explore the mansion again with a few surprises and maybe even some exploration of the woods, maybe make the lab feel more like a high-tech monster zoo than a nu-metal video set, have Lisa Trevor properly stalk the player, but don't trust Capcom not to add some Saturday morning cartoon motivations to Spencer, Wesker and Birkin beyond greed and hubris.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Is it just me or was some of the stuff in the demo unintentionally hilarious? Like when Ethan tries to escape the burning house by ramming the walls with the car and just manages to flip it over and getting the woman killed. Not to mention his "goddamn it why does this always happen to me" complaining.

The Castle stuff, on the other hand, was A++.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Barudak posted:

Yeah it fuckin rules

Yeah, they’re zombies, their whole thing is being stubborn.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think it was very much intentional

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Missionary Positron posted:

Is it just me or was some of the stuff in the demo unintentionally hilarious? Like when Ethan tries to escape the burning house by ramming the walls with the car and just manages to flip it over and getting the woman killed. Not to mention his "goddamn it why does this always happen to me" complaining.

The Castle stuff, on the other hand, was A++.

Being unintentionally hilarious is kind of a major theme of the Resident Evil universe. Personally I consider that a big part of its appeal.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd love RE1 with the modern camera and control scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Being unintentionally hilarious is kind of a major theme of the Resident Evil universe. Personally I consider that a big part of its appeal.

Oh yeah, I def get the campy aspect of RE games. Ethan's actions just popped out for me despite that.