Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

re: Lebanon

It's ok though since an american RV salesman "CEO" traveled there on hit tv show "the profit" to show bullet holes in buildings, visit the orphanage where he was adopted from, and talk about the resurgent nightlife of Beirut. It's all fixed, donate if you want to but it doesn't really help number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I used to ship baking ingredients to Lebanon but after the explosion we haven’t had any orders so yikes

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well i donated to the Lebanese Food Bank. i used to do meals on wheels when i had the time but i cant even imagine what they're going through over there.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Radirot posted:

is it safe to donate here? https://lebanesefoodbank.org

according to reddit they're ok https://www.reddit.com/r/lebanon/comments/iaaksr/list_of_lebanese_ngos_that_are_verified_and_safe/ :shrug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BigPaddy posted:

Take that example and apply it to consumer credit. Can’t buy X outright? Well we can loan you the money at a % rate per annum so you end up paying more for the same item that someone who has the money to buy it with cash and oh we have made certain items that are almost a requirement aka cars, smart phones so expensive that only a fraction of the population can buy cash and everyone else has to get it on credit. Oh and if the rich want credit well we give it to them at 0% interest anyway lol.

You're really overselling cash and underselling cheap credit here.

Cheap credit is really one of the biggest financial advantages of not being poor. There's almost literally no reason to buy anything in cash when you can get 0% or extremely low APR financing. "Living within your means" is very much advice that only applies to poors, because it's exceptionally easy for someone who's even moderately wealthy to live beyond their means pretty much indefinitely as long as nothing goes too wrong.

The only reason you're seeing so much cash in housing right now is that investors are using cash purchases to muscle regular buyers out of the market.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Take that example and apply it to consumer credit. Can’t buy X outright? Well we can loan you the money at a % rate per annum so you end up paying more for the same item that someone who has the money to buy it with cash and oh we have made certain items that are almost a requirement aka cars, smart phones so expensive that only a fraction of the population can buy cash and everyone else has to get it on credit. Oh and if the rich want credit well we give it to them at 0% interest anyway lol.

even if the rich dont get 0%, just being rich makes credit so much easier; if I make six figures a year, I can buy a $30k car outright, or I can finance two, plus a boat, and a second home.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

You're really overselling cash and underselling cheap credit here.

Cheap credit is really one of the biggest financial advantages of not being poor. There's almost literally no reason to buy anything in cash when you can get 0% or extremely low APR financing. "Living within your means" is very much advice that only applies to poors, because it's exceptionally easy for someone who's even moderately wealthy to live beyond their means pretty much indefinitely as long as nothing goes too wrong.

The only reason you're seeing so much cash in housing right now is that investors are using cash purchases to muscle regular buyers out of the market.

if the game plan is it squeeze regular buyers out of the market then who do investors expect to buy their purchases later on?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Radirot posted:

if the game plan is it squeeze regular buyers out of the market then who do investors expect to buy their purchases later on?

a bagholder, who will eventually offload their mortgage to the government, who then hands it to a bank for like 25% of its value

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Radirot posted:

They're using cash to muscle regular buyers out of the specific properties that they're purchasing. It's not a grand conspiracy by investors to destroy all regular home purchases, it's just people with a lot of capital using that money to "win." It's self-destructive over the long run, but that's literally never stopped capital before.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
do you expect a lot of bagholders? i just picture these houses sitting vacant forever.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You can basically look at every other country to see that housing prices that are largely unaffordable for the average person are no real obstacle to housing prices continuing to go up forever. People need to live somewhere and eventually you just rent your properties out or start doing predatory poo poo like "rent to own" leases.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah if you rent out then its not like you're losing anything by holding poo poo indefinitely, like a bank with better interest rates.

and speculation just needs you to think youre smart enough to not be the last one in and people are stupid

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the tradeoff is if you can’t rent then you are stuck with an asset that is literally worse than worthless to you, since you can’t live in two houses. my rent is $1890 a month. we are moving in June to a much nicer place for not much more money, and our landlords are trying to rent this place out. so far they’ve cancelled literally half of the showings they had scheduled and the most recent one that did happen, they quoted the prospective tenant $1750. the building is half empty.

get owned, slumlord fucks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

and remember that it would actually take pretty extreme measures to rapidly bring home prices back down

people think of the GFC as some kind of housing apocalypse, but it actually led to more homes being purchased with cash and housing prices skyrocketing way higher than they were before the crisis

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

You can basically look at every other country to see that housing prices that are largely unaffordable for the average person are no real obstacle to housing prices continuing to go up forever. People need to live somewhere and eventually you just rent your properties out or start doing predatory poo poo like "rent to own" leases.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/89220424#/media?id=media11&ref=photoCollage

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Radirot posted:

The game plan is to sell at a higher price if the bubble keeps growing, or just never sell to gently caress the non-rich. Eventually the capitalist dies and whoever inherits the house sells it for a low price because they won't have their egos hurt by admitting that they "lost" to the dirty "poor" person they sold the house to for cheap.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Radirot posted:

i cant think of anything else to say but why? this cant be just because of the explosion right? :smith:

Globally rising food prices and then an explosion that decimated your entire food import structure. I think unless there's enough aid to stem the tide, we might Syria 2: The Lebanese Question

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownTarget posted:

Globally rising food prices and then an explosion that decimated your entire food import structure. I think unless there's enough aid to stem the tide, we might Syria 2: The Lebanese Question

the only reason Syria is still a mess and the central government can't reestablish control is because the west keeps arming rebels so they can build a pipeline through Syria.

Lebanon is not strategically important to anyone

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rutibex posted:

the only reason Syria is still a mess and the central government can't reestablish control is because the west keeps arming rebels so they can build a pipeline through Syria.

if there is one thing i could magically will into happening like thanos, it would be eradicating all oil from the planet, would solve an absolute ton of geopolitical problems

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

what is wrong with these euros, don’t they know you can just give people money

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Twerk from Home posted:

this time it is different, because they have both motive and means to make the stock market go up forever.

dow 100,000!

Wasnt this true last time though?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Why are we worried about beer running out. I need more information on this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Why are we worried about beer running out. I need more information on this.

you drank it all last night. dont you remember?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Twerk from Home posted:

what is wrong with these euros, don’t they know you can just give people money

Literally no, people must be punished for their wanton profligacy :geert: :finland:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Imagine I also posted a German and Austrian flag there if they were emotes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Freedom isn’t free

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rutibex posted:

you drank it all last night. dont you remember?

no and that's the point

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

No, this is definitely not the only reason. Tons of regular people, whose stock portfolios exploded in 2020 thanks to the Fed, are also using cash now to buy houses where previously they would have taken out a mortgage. There are also those who have sold their more expensive homes in other states and have moved to cheaper states thanks to WFH policies. I have friends here in Austin who say they keep getting outbid by tech people moving here from California, for example. That's not a new thing but it certainly accelerated because of the pandemic.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Radirot posted:

do you expect a lot of bagholders? i just picture these houses sitting vacant forever.

there is no downside to being a bagholder as long as you're a large enough institution that the fed will buy your bag at full price and toss it onto the fourteen trillion dollar pile

the current economic experiment is MMT for the plutarchy only

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the marginal buyer sets the price. don’t need a lot of them to spike prices.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
these days a realtor might as well just be an auctioneer because all the listings are out below value on Friday and bids are in by Monday and that’s it

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Shipon posted:

if there is one thing i could magically will into happening like thanos, it would be eradicating all oil from the planet, would solve an absolute ton of geopolitical problems

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/09/fracking-oceanic-methane-hydrates-global-energy-landscape-bonanza/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shipon posted:

i feel like that would cause some rippling supply chain issues that might be more troublesome than you'd think. Americans use every part of the oil

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rutibex posted:

Israel I'm sure is interested in them, and sometimes I don't know if they're our client state or we're theirs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i feel like that would cause some rippling supply chain issues that might be more troublesome than you'd think. Americans use every part of the oil

:ohdear:

in one hand there's complete widespread environmental and ecological destruction, in the other there's some supply chain issues

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:ohdear:

in one hand there's complete widespread environmental and ecological destruction, in the other there's some supply chain issues

OP specified geopolitical problems. If you're doing it to solve environmental and ecological problems, lol, thanos snap yourself 20-30 years into the past first and maybe it would make a difference.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/shawarmacommie/status/1388907563975122945?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Radirot posted:

youre not thinking big enough. you let people stay in the houses, but own everything they produce for the next few decades. anyone makes noise you send in the thumbheads with batons.