Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow not only does shock get swept but the series ends in a c9

you can't even compare what shock is like right now to the start of last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Jecse is loosing it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxtool posted:

imagine thinking you are winning but shock still isnt trying 100%

well that aged well

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm mostly upset that Fuel cost me some points in Pickem when they got swept by Washington and now does this <:mad:>

It is honestly weird that Shock can roll a team like Mayhem, who I think look better on paper than Fuel but then have Fuel do this to the Shock so easily.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
And now we see the beginning of the Shock revenge arc

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

It's pretty easy to blame when you're losing but honestly it just seems to not be their meta. You can say FDGod bad or doesn't fit well but part of being a good team is playing well together. I honestly still can't gather why viol2t is playing the mccree on volkskyia though. again not that he's necessarily terrible but striker/glister seem to be a way better tracer/mccree combo especially since glister can play the ashe as well.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 2, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wow not only does shock get swept but the series ends in a c9

you can't even compare what shock is like right now to the start of last season

eh shock at the start of last season lost their first two matches after doing weird stuff like sinatraa on mei & architect on ana

but yeah they look far more mortal this year obviously, which i think is certainly a good thing and makes things far more interesting than them just stomping everyone

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Maybe Junkbuck was the secret sauce of the Shock all along

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/STRIKER_OW/status/1388974332320251904

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Mayhem looking strong in Rush but Washington just played that last map so intelligently.

Towards the end, OGE and Gargoyle generated something like 50% ult charge over 3 team fights because they just couldn’t get in range and kept getting picked early. It was really amazing to see Wustice pick them apart.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1388981888077996035

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
....and then they immediately poo poo the bed on KR

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

aaaaaaaaaa

I still don't think we're going to beat Houston but aaaaaaaaa

lih
May 15, 2013

it's kinda wild just how close all the top 5 teams in NA are this year

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad I was finally right about something and justice really was weaker than their record

lih posted:

eh shock at the start of last season lost their first two matches after doing weird stuff like sinatraa on mei & architect on ana

but yeah they look far more mortal this year obviously, which i think is certainly a good thing and makes things far more interesting than them just stomping everyone

the fact that they were doing poo poo like that is why I make the comparison. they look much weaker now than they did then

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

danteh with the torb as planned.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Just woke up and I can't believe the Shock are dead but Houston can't beat Dallas. What a world.

Still happy for Fearless though. What a champ.

lih
May 15, 2013

i think the shock looking bad at the start of last season was much worse than this year so far, but they also haven't bounced back yet this year & figured out how to make things work for them consistently yet

justice are still clearly a top team despite losing to mayhem, i think it's just that the top 5 teams are way closer than anyone expected them to be & matches are depending a lot more on the matchup of each team's strengths and weaknesses more than anything else. if outlaws can manage to reverse sweep fuel then they'll be the definite #1 but otherwise it really feels like any of those top 5 teams could beat any of the others.

kinda cheering for fuel to win though because i'm really enjoying their status as the chengdu of the west, forced to play somewhat unconventionally due to a hole in their lineup and yet being incredible at it

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

My ideal grand finals here is Chengdu vs Dallas I think.

lih
May 15, 2013

with pharah v pharah since jinmu being out meant we didn't get that from seoul v chengdu

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm guessing Houston didn't think Dallas would beat the Shock and have spent all week preparing to go up against an angry Shock and just aren't at all ready to deal with Dallas' unique style.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Dallas also look like they really have a good idea of how to play against the meta comp and do it well (unlike with past chengdu that just forced ball). There is a really good chance they take the whole tourney if they keep this level of play up, though it'll be interesting to see how stuff shifts after it when they've had time to watch tape and figure things out more.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah they've been playing a lot more sym this week and it's been really working for them, no one else has been using sym tp like that before either

it was great when chengdu could make their antics work before but they very rarely could before this season, & they're no longer just limited to ball either.

i guess the other case for an unconventional playstyle doing surprisingly well was shanghai in s2 stage 3 which was an all-time great run

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

if the fuel is running over people with this comp, without a hitscan, it has to mean mccree/ashe hitscan is not the meta right?

seems like once houston plays the non-hitscan mirror comps the fuel look much more mortal.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Very happy for Fielder
https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1389007158914736132?s=19

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope fuel shows up like this again and its not a fluke

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm more worried about mayhem not showing up than I am fuel

wild how many upsets have happened today

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sad for Houston but I think I'm much more happy in my soul for Fearless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda wish fuel played dragons first round so there was no chance for one of them to lose before meeting. fearless beating his old team would be a hell of a storyline

fate vs mayhem doesn't feel the same

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/ShockCrusty/status/1389013665286803457?s=19

Fuel better beat Chengdu dammit, I want an EM vs Runaway final

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I mean on the upside, we're moving into the part of the May Melee with a loser's bracket so there's always additional chances.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/Twilight_OW/status/1389014096431894531

trash talk AND overall gameplay have leveled up this year. OWL ... good???

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

That's a pretty savage screen clip there, wow.

The skill spread on the top teams feels pretty tight at the moment, hope it stays close for the rest of the season.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Zero western players in the may melee. It's going to be an uphill battle to keep this league going when there are no non korean or chinese players in a season or two.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's not like there's a huge shortage of talented western players. It's also not like western fans won't cheer for asian people???

Like, NYXL has always been 100% Korean and still has a fervent native New Yorker fanbase. Philly's also always been a mixed team (they aren't right now due to visa issues but that wasn't their fault) and Philly fans are bananas.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 3, 2021

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Also if anything, the league would want more Chinese players, not less. There's a huge viewership in China that would probably love to see more chinese players in more teams, besides Chengdu and Spark.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Ignis posted:

Also if anything, the league would want more Chinese players, not less. There's a huge viewership in China that would probably love to see more chinese players in more teams, besides Chengdu and Spark.

Yeah. I might be biased as a preexisting fan of one of the Chinese teams, but it seems like OWL's most realistic path to viewership/revenue growth is through China. If Overwatch 2 is a huge hit then that could obviously change and make other regions more viable again, but if I were involved with OWL I would see the Chinese audience as our saving grace.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
speaking of China

https://twitter.com/mizliz_/status/1389231714690551810

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
And this is why you don't take a bite of the poisoned apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So going through some of the statements, the Shanghai Dragons have stated that even though SBB apologized, they do not accept the apology. They also said that eSports should not be political. HZS says something similar. the CDH statement is a "personal" statement about how he has many Korean friends but also mentions the boycott. GZC statement is very generic statement about how they have partners from many different countries. No mention of the boycott on theirs.

ActiBlizz going to kowtow to this aren't they?