Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mcgreenvegtables posted:

What's wrong with just doing this step? You are going to kill the grass anyway, so the other steps seem like a lot of extra work for no return?

I'm not sure how to level it if some has grass and some doesn't. I'm concerned there will be high spots with grass and low spots with out it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dig out the high spots, dump them in the low spots.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a quick question about leveling a spot for a inflatable ring pool. In general, I have a reasonably flat lawn, but I want to get a spot really nice that I can put up a pool for the summer and take it down. I have a 15" inflatable ring pool. The spot I want to put it is a little lumpy (maybe a variables of 6"). It has a slight slope downwards as it goes from N->S which is where water goes way from the house.

My plan is
  • water it a bunch a couple days before
  • use a sod cutter to strip a 20'x20' square, roll up the sod and put it aside.
  • level center 16" square for the pool, use the high spots to fill in the low spots
  • slant the edges so it's like this of course it's not as dramatic, but this will main the N->S slope so water doesn't sit under the pool
pre:
\____________
             \
  • roll it all with a lawn roller so it's nice and compact
  • use a rake to loosten the top layer a bit
  • replace the sod
  • seed/hay the lower slope since I don't know if I'll have enough sod, and I want to ensure the level spot is all level
  • wait a couple months and put the pool up in June
  • put peat moss under the pool

I think this is the best way, I don't want to level it and then put the pool up right way since it'll be too soft and it may collapse. I don't mind having a dead spot in the fall, I can always reseed, it's worth it to have a place for the kids each year.

What is peat moss meant to achieve?

Ideally no one should use *peat* anything as it’s directly destroying nature, but this seems an especially pointless use.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

cakesmith handyman posted:

This makes sense, but I was concerned about the pool sitting on the fresh dirt spots and collapsing it. I was figuring if I did it now and reused the sod (and put the pool up in a month) the grass would settle it more and make it compact, but maybe I can just rent a lawn roller instead use that to compact it.

Maybe I can clarify my question. The entire spot has pretty good and thick grass. If I dig off a high spot and put it over a low slow spot, I'll have to dig out the grass on the low spot, right? I not sure how to manage putting fill dirt/sod squares from the high spot on top of grass in the lowspots. When the grass below decomposes won't it sink and make more low spots? I'm just not sure if that will work out, without having to dig up half of the grass by hand anyways.

I was figuring I'd have to remove all the sod from the square, level all the dirt beneath and put all the sod back nice and level. But if my concerns of low spots compressing are nonsense, I'll just get a couple hoes and attack it.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 22, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The grass is going to die, why put so much effort into preserving it? Mow it short, like lowest setting short, then

Roll/compact/stamp them down every few days, it'll be flat enough.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The grass is going to die, why put so much effort into preserving it? Mow it short, like lowest setting short, then

Roll/compact/stamp them down every few days, it'll be flat enough.

Got it, I thought if it died and decomposed it'll shrink and cause a low spot there, but if not, I'll just string it up and level. I'll rent a yard roller for a few days and roll it out. It's just a 20x20 spot so it's not unmanagement.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just hired a guy to do 2 acres of lilac / tag alder removal with a skidsteer chipper. 3 hours of work at $175 an hour. It's all inside of a 100 year old orchard that has the most monstrous apple and cherry trees I've ever seen. Should look pretty cool when he's all done. We've got a bunch of hawthorn, mountain ash and crab apple we'll be planting in a few weeks. The trick is going to be to keep the deer off of them.

Anyone tried the tree tubes before? I'd rather not build an enclosure around all of the trees.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

Anyone tried the tree tubes before? I'd rather not build an enclosure around all of the trees.

The problem I've had is that the trees I've planted aren't tall enough for tree tubes so the deer will just get on their hind legs and strip leaves/shoots anyway. If you're planting things that are tall enough already they should work great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yooper posted:

I just hired a guy to do 2 acres of lilac / tag alder removal with a skidsteer chipper. 3 hours of work at $175 an hour. It's all inside of a 100 year old orchard that has the most monstrous apple and cherry trees I've ever seen. Should look pretty cool when he's all done. We've got a bunch of hawthorn, mountain ash and crab apple we'll be planting in a few weeks. The trick is going to be to keep the deer off of them.

I haven't personally but I plan to when I plant a bunch of hardwood seedlings. I think if you use them on small 1-2' seedlings, by the time they are growing out the top of a 5' tree tube they're going to have enough roots and other leaves to survive a little bit of deer browsing, but it probably depends just how many deer you have. A forester friend highly recommends them, especially in an old field situation where the trees are much more visible and accessible. No to mention the rabbits that like old fields.

Deer also REALLY like new, fresh and fertilized from the nursery stuff, so protecting them that first year or two when they are adjusting to the native dirt (and start putting out leaves that are no tastier than the leaves in the woods) is really important. I've definitely noticed it where I've planted new 3gal plants. If I don't fence them they'll strip them bare in a year, but if I fence them for 2-3 years, they leave them mostly alone when the fence comes off and the plants are well established. They would rather eat tender, well fertilized new growth off fresh from the nursery a holly that is supposedly 'deer resistant' than the new growth of an oak in red clay.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 23, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, just another question for the thread.

I have a row of these hedges that I really like, and I'd like to get a few more to make the barrier longer. I don't know what they are. I'd like to get matching ones if possible.

They are about 3ft tall, and are evergreens. My wife thinks they are hemlocks, but I'm not sure. I tried making tea from it and drinking it but I didn't die, so I guess not. During the spring/summer they have those lighter tips, but then they are dark green the rest of the year.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Heyo, just another question for the thread.

I have a row of these hedges that I really like, and I'd like to get a few more to make the barrier longer. I don't know what they are. I'd like to get matching ones if possible.

They are about 3ft tall, and are evergreens. My wife thinks they are hemlocks, but I'm not sure. I tried making tea from it and drinking it but I didn't die, so I guess not. During the spring/summer they have those lighter tips, but then they are dark green the rest of the year.

They're in the Yew family, either Taxus baccata or Taxus cuspidata.

You're maybe joking about the tea, but in case you're not...don't eat plants if you don't know what they are!! There are seriously toxic species that could cause real health issues up to and including death! It's good to be curious, but don't experiment on yourself!!!!

Most parts of the English Yew are ridiculously toxic and consumption can lead to death--don't gently caress around with drinking random plant tea, stick with the ones you know.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Sumbitches posted:

You're maybe joking about the tea, but in case you're not...don't eat plants if you don't know what they are!! There are seriously toxic species that could cause real health issues up to and including death! It's good to be curious, but don't experiment on yourself!!!!

Most parts of the English Yew are ridiculously toxic and consumption can lead to death--don't gently caress around with drinking random plant tea, stick with the ones you know.

I was joking, but thanks. It looks like it's the Japanese Plum Yew.

Also, I'm really unhappy because my neighbor cut down a small beautiful flowering weeping cherry tree that was perfectly positioned on the corner of their lot, and it provided perfect shade and cover for my backyard. There's a pretty busy road that goes uphill that the tree blocked from having a view right in my backyard, during spring it had beautiful flowers that I were right out side a bunch of my windows. I'm livid. I have no idea why she had it removed. It was healthy, and I've talked to her about it before. She'd apologize that it hung into my drive way, but my wife and I made sure to tell her that we liked it. We'd help her trim it and all that too. It's nuts. Now that my backyard is basically open the street I have to figure out my own barrier now. I'm really considering getting my own tree and planting it, do they make a tree that will grow and look directly in to her windows and give her a dirty look?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm really considering getting my own tree and planting it, do they make a tree that will grow and look directly in to her windows and give her a dirty look?

yes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Normally plants don’t have eyes, so it’s hard for me to trust them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People just love to cut down trees. I think there's a tendency to overemphasize their downsides and underappreciate their benefits.

I'm in a similar spot this year because some new people moved into the house behind our lot and cut down all the trees on their side of the property line, so now when we sit on our patios we get to look straight at each other rather than at a wooded corridor. If we all did that there wouldn't be any trees left. Great job guys.

e: actually they put in some little crape myrtles and then immediately topped them. So, you know, compromise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was googling about grass feeding/seeding and ran across this page,
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library/lawn-care-basics/fall-best-time-seed-feed
...which itself is boring. But in the middle of it, on Scotts' official site, is this graphic which shows how to spread feed/seed:

I did an "is this real life?" double-take and thought the thread may appreciate the existence of this image on a real corporate website.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It's pretty dope. But like what the fuckin poo poo is happening in that image?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Clearly the second one comes from that greyscale universe of people in made-for-TV infomercials spilling poo poo everywhere after being unable to complete a task.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People just love to cut down trees. I think there's a tendency to overemphasize their downsides and underappreciate their benefits.

Does this count if the tree I want to cut down is a loving palm tree? It provides no shade, but it's tall enough that I'm going to have to pay someone to come maintain it once in a while. Much rather have something that I can more or less just let grow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'll allow it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leon Sumbitches posted:

That's the famous Willkill Yew

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm in a similar spot this year because some new people moved into the house behind our lot and cut down all the trees on their side of the property line, so now when we sit on our patios we get to look straight at each other rather than at a wooded corridor. If we all did that there wouldn't be any trees left. Great job guys.

e: actually they put in some little crape myrtles and then immediately topped them. So, you know, compromise.

I am your neighbor, except in my case the trees are garbage maples and one of them is dying and dropping branches onto my car big enough to leave giant dents and break windshields. Ask me how I know.

My neighbor gets all weird when I float the idea of cutting some of them down. She had an arborist out who said to just let the branch dropper "die a peaceful death."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are a million valid reasons to remove a tree! I really do mean people who clear out a stand so that they can put in a lawn they never use, or cut down a healthy tree because they don't want to clean up after it.

Today I cut down five massive hollies to nearly stumps because they were overgrown and scraping the house. They look like crap now but it needed to be done

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I had two decent sized Portuguese laurels in my smallish urban garden when I bought the place.

Evergreen, block all light, dry up the soil underneath them and generally are a bit much.

One is gone, the 2nd will probably go before the bend of the year.

I’ve planted a bunch of new trees, so I don’t feel bad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I am your neighbor, except in my case the trees are garbage maples and one of them is dying and dropping branches onto my car big enough to leave giant dents and break windshields. Ask me how I know.

My neighbor gets all weird when I float the idea of cutting some of them down. She had an arborist out who said to just let the branch dropper "die a peaceful death."

Is this your tree or hers?
If its her tree and its dropping branches on to your car, then you should be asking (telling) her to pay for the damage, or get rid of the fuckin tree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s nice when there’s a healthy mature tree growing somewhere it’s wanted, but there are a lot of deadbeat trees out there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If its her tree and its dropping branches on to your car, then you should be asking (telling) her to pay for the damage, or get rid of the fuckin tree.

I think the branches are generally your responsibility if they're over your property.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

We both think it's my tree since it's on my side of a fence (but who knows what a formal survey would say). It's more I don't want to be a jerk and just cut down all the trees providing shade and privacy. This one definitely needs to go, the rest of the nuisance ones are healthy but it would be much cheaper to get them out while I'm getting the dying one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

pmchem posted:

I was googling about grass feeding/seeding and ran across this page,
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library/lawn-care-basics/fall-best-time-seed-feed
...which itself is boring. But in the middle of it, on Scotts' official site, is this graphic which shows how to spread feed/seed:

I did an "is this real life?" double-take and thought the thread may appreciate the existence of this image on a real corporate website.

I think they're trying to say "don't seed when it's windy", and just having fun with exaggeration.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think the branches are generally your responsibility if they're over your property.

Yeah, at least here pruning is your responsibility (as long as you don't damage the tree) if the branch is over your property. Once it falls you own it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I think they're trying to say "don't seed when it's windy", and just having fun with exaggeration.

this is correct, fwiw

i''m going to have rip two trees out of my yard (one is a hideous giant pine that i can replace) and the other is a giant elm that's now lifting up my deck and hardscaping that i'll probably just turn into a firepit or something

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

My Greenworks lawn mower just arrived, and I noticed that the front right wheel does not touch the ground all the time. When I have it parked in the garage, I can spin the front right wheel pretty fairly. Is this a common issue? I would imagine this would affect how the mower cuts?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Help, I want to put in a birdbath next to the feeder, but I’m completely paralyzed by indecision on what to buy. Thinking something that’s glazed... any recommendations in the hundredish dollar range?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

My Greenworks lawn mower just arrived, and I noticed that the front right wheel does not touch the ground all the time. When I have it parked in the garage, I can spin the front right wheel pretty fairly. Is this a common issue? I would imagine this would affect how the mower cuts?

You did check that the wheel heights were adjusted correctly, I hope? All the wheels on my mower adjust independently.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

When all you have is a hammer.......

Seemed like the easiest way to transplant the rhododendron. Was able to get a nice root ball that didn't fall apart because I just drove it down to where it was going and plopped it in. Yes, probably overkill but it's still a new-ish toy. I'm getting better with detail work on this thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I owned one of those I would find a way to do every chore with it. Laundry might be tricky but washing the car would be doable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

If I owned one of those I would find a way to do every chore with it. Laundry might be tricky but washing the car would be doable.

:thumbsup:

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a thread for mowers?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotNut posted:

Is there a thread for mowers?

There's a small engine repair thread in AI if you're talking repairs. Otherwise this would probably be the place for the rest.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Something with a Honda engine. Next question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

devmd01 posted:

Something with a Honda engine. Next question!

I really, really, love my Honda mower. Even with old gas after all winter it starts on the first or second pull every time.