Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

I think this combo would be okay if that dog was a common. Tome shredder by itself doesn’t grow faster enough to really be threatening. Quandrix Pledgemage is another common 3 drop that is probably growing much faster and can attack and grow on the same turn.

Funny you say that, because after being so smug about Tome Shredder, I drafted a Quandrix deck and went 0-3.

To be fair, I should have stopped forcing when I didn't get any bombs or removal other than a single mage duel but... I just don't know how to draft Quandrix is what I'm trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rinkles posted:

so far the only rares i've spent were on some faceless havens cause that seems like a land that could have some staying power without tying me specifically to red

Yeah you'll never regret crafting good lands, even if they're not necessarily the flashiest things to blow your wc's on. Speaking of Faceless Haven, here's a fun budget-friendly mono white magecraft deck that's been winning me games all the way up into diamond:

4 Clever Lumimancer
4 Usher of the Fallen
4 Selfless Savior
3 Codespell Cleric
4 Clarion Spirit
4 Leonin Lightscribe

4 Defiant Strike
4 Guiding Voice
3 Fight as One
2 Show of Confidence
2 Study Break

19 Snow-Covered Plains
3 Faceless Haven

Sideboard
1 Academic Probation
1 Environmental Sciences
1 Inkling Summoning
1 Expanded Anatomy
1 Reduce to Memory
2 Valor of the Worthy
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Faceless Haven
2 Study Break
2 Giant Killer
2 Kabira Takedown

If you didn't want to buy Giant Killers it could basically be any of the multitude of spells that do the same thing as Chop Down

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I went 7-1 with Silverquill yesterday! Do you know who I am!? You can't do this to me!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rinkles posted:

so far the only rares i've spent were on some faceless havens cause that seems like a land that could have some staying power without tying me specifically to red

To be clear, the only rares I was suggesting crafting with the Cycling deck were the Pathway lands and those aren't leaving Standard in the Fall. If you're short on common or uncommon wildcards though, yeah definitely don't spend that on Cycling.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having an extremely annoying bug that I can reproduce 100% of the time.

I built this deck for Brawl
Commander
1 Shaile, Dean of Radiance (STX) 158

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

Deck
1 Luminarch Aspirant (ZNR) 24
8 Swamp (ANA) 5
1 Wishclaw Talisman (ELD) 110
1 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
1 Eternal Thirst (ANB) 49
1 Unexpected Fangs (IKO) 102
1 Call of the Death-Dweller (IKO) 78
1 Speaker of the Heavens (M21) 38
1 Containment Priest (M21) 13
1 Leonin Lightscribe (STX) 20
1 Strict Proctor (STX) 33
1 Archfiend's Vessel (M21) 88
1 Dream Devourer (KHM) 90
1 Elderfang Disciple (KHM) 93
1 Nullpriest of Oblivion (ZNR) 118
1 Cleric of Life's Bond (ZNR) 222
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Heliod's Punishment (THB) 21
1 Heliod's Intervention (THB) 19
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Doomskar (KHM) 9
1 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Eliminate (STA) 30
1 Fracture (STX) 188
1 Rune of Sustenance (KHM) 25
1 Rune of Mortality (KHM) 108
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
1 Emeria's Call (ZNR) 12
1 Kabira Takedown (ZNR) 19
1 Sejiri Shelter (ZNR) 37
1 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
1 Brightclimb Pathway (ZNR) 259
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Crawling Barrens (ZNR) 262
1 Evolving Wilds (IKO) 247
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
1 Cling to Dust (THB) 87
1 Village Rites (STA) 35
1 Plumb the Forbidden (STX) 81
1 Skyclave Shade (ZNR) 125
1 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
7 Plains (ANA) 1

Sideboard
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

Whenever i queue it up for Brawl, I get stuck on the "Waiting on Server" screen forever until i force quit. This doesn't happen for any other format, I can get into games perfectly fine, and it doesn't even happen with my other Brawl decks. Any idea what the issue is? I own all of these cards and all of them are Standard legal...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe they put Shaile in its own brawl queue for no good reason, and nobody else is playing that specific commander.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I saw some people mentioning on discord they had similar issues queueing for brawl with a companion.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Harbinger fights Krenko, power 4 creature dies, pumps both pelties and 6 more damage tramples over for the win is the play I think?

They can also use the Oasis to just pump the troll and just get lethal that way.
e: nvm, that's sorcery only.

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 2, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dracula Factory posted:

They can also use the Oasis to just pump the troll and just get lethal that way.

Not after declaring attacks they can't.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dracula Factory posted:

e: nvm, that's sorcery only.

Yeah, in all honesty the game was probably not losable from there.

If I had bricked on the draw and just pumped troll precombat they probably have to block themselves to death anyway. If not, I think their only out was tapping krenko, saving snoop, then finding Mux on top. Even that's no slam dunk, though a good Mux can certainly 20 you from nowhere.

Also no real advantage to doing it in combat other than style points, but I didn't realize it until afterwards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

scytale posted:

I saw some people mentioning on discord they had similar issues queueing for brawl with a companion.

This is it, I cut Lurrus and it works fine. That sucks, I wanted it to be a Lurrus Weenies deck! Oh Well, hopefully we can get a patch soon. I'm gonna go wistfully lay in a hammock and remember how awesome the first month of Companion was....

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

PhilippAchtel posted:

Funny you say that, because after being so smug about Tome Shredder, I drafted a Quandrix deck and went 0-3.

To be fair, I should have stopped forcing when I didn't get any bombs or removal other than a single mage duel but... I just don't know how to draft Quandrix is what I'm trying to say.

I actually just went 7-2 off a Quandrix deck with zero rares or mythics. This actually started out 1-2 and then went 6 wins in a row so ymmv. I forget the draft exactly, but I started out with some good Silverquill cards and maybe 1-2 quandrix in P1. Then in pack 2 I wasn't getting good silverquill cards, so I went hard into quandrix.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Made a boros version of the magecraft deck with showdown. It's so nice when it goes off, had to try it out after all the other positive remarks about the white and azorius magecraft decks!

Deck
4 Clever Lumimancer (STX) 10
8 Mountain (STX) 373
2 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Leonin Lightscribe (STX) 20
3 Show of Confidence (STX) 28
3 Showdown of the Skalds (KHM) 229
8 Plains (STX) 367
2 Unleash Fury (M21) 170
3 Heightened Reflexes (IKO) 123
2 Infuriate (STA) 41
2 First Day of Class (STX) 102
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
1 Mavinda, Students' Advocate (STX) 21
4 Crash Through (M21) 140
2 Beloved Princess (ELD) 7
4 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
2 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
2 Sejiri Shelter (ZNR) 37

Sideboard
1 Mascot Exhibition (STX) 5
1 Start from Scratch (STX) 114
1 Illuminate History (STX) 108
1 Inkling Summoning (STX) 195
1 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
1 Expanded Anatomy (STX) 2
1 Introduction to Prophecy (STX) 4

Messing around with how many lands / Sejiri shelters I want to run.

edit: Realized I really should have some Clarion Spirits in here too. I can never leave my deck how it is

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 2, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is it, I cut Lurrus and it works fine. That sucks, I wanted it to be a Lurrus Weenies deck! Oh Well, hopefully we can get a patch soon. I'm gonna go wistfully lay in a hammock and remember how awesome the first month of Companion was....

Looks like they put companion + commander in its separate queue. I feel like it always used to move you out of those queues if you waited long enough, but I might be wrong. Maybe you should file a bug report.
I haven't played companion + commander since Judith got rotated, but it worked back then and during the historic brawl event.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

I actually just went 7-2 off a Quandrix deck with zero rares or mythics. This actually started out 1-2 and then went 6 wins in a row so ymmv. I forget the draft exactly, but I started out with some good Silverquill cards and maybe 1-2 quandrix in P1. Then in pack 2 I wasn't getting good silverquill cards, so I went hard into quandrix.

Yeah this actually looks really similar to what I drafted. I got some big creatures, but they kept getting hit with removal, which just made me wish I was in black even more!

It's funny because for my 7-1 silverquill deck I rare drafted as Tanazir Quandrix pack 2 pick 1 - I never found the fixing to put it in the deck - and still trophied. So when I saw a Manifestation Sage (which I never drew in three games) followed by Quandrix Pledgemage, I thought it was a sign, but it just didn't work out. C'est la vie.

Edit: I was just about to say UG needs Master Symmetrist, but you don't have that. I even got a Gnarled Professor pack 3, but never saw that either. I had all the ramp but none of the big payoffs like Imbraham or Zimone, so I ended up with a ton of mana and nothing to spend it on.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 2, 2021

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
That deck was almost more of an evasion, removal, and midrange deck. Access Tunnel won me a couple games. Big play turned a couple tides. Occasionally the pledgemage got huge and stomped on the opponent.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/6219
https://mtgmelee.com/Tournament/View/6220

Looks like Pact made one of the two SCG top 8s yesterday. Genuinely surprised (and happy) to see Phoenix doing well.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I really like the velomachus/opus deck, it’s got a surprising amount of play to it despite seeming like a fragile few interactions.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Maybe I should be happy for my opponent that they actually managed to make Dark Ritual work in normal Limited, but mostly I'm just salty as gently caress right now.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Got a dumb question not sure where else to ask it.

Why are Blue white control lists running a 2/2 split of Wrath and Day or Judgement? I don't have the Judgements and I'm not sure if I should craft, why not run 4 Wraths?

I must be missing something obvious, but it's really eluding me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GarudaPrime posted:

Why are Blue white control lists running a 2/2 split of Wrath and Day or Judgement? I don't have the Judgements and I'm not sure if I should craft, why not run 4 Wraths?

The cards are functionally identical and I don't think you have to be concerned about it at all. I assume it's for interactions with cards like necromentia, meddling mage, ashiok's erasure, etc. Idk if there are commonly played cards it would actually be relevant to atm.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 2, 2021

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

No Wave posted:

The cards are functionally identical and I don't think you have to be concerned about it at all. I assume it's for interactions with cards like necromentia, meddling mage, ashiok's erasure, etc. Idk if there are commonly played cards it would actually be relevant to atm.

It's either this or they don't have full playsets of either of the cards for some reason, like maybe they got the wraths in Amonkhet drafts.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I haven't drafted lorehold before, anyone ideas on this deck?

Really wish I was able to get more fuming effigy, has a lot of synergy in this deck. I am very stacked up on learn cards because of the 2 copies of retreiver phoenix, but is that too much? Also is teach by example too much here? Thinking lorehold pledgemade should maybe go back in, but not 100% sure.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GarudaPrime posted:

Only upside in the format that has extraction effects as well as meddling mage and a few other things that care about card name

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some CoCo decks play Meddling Mage and they're gonna try and name your wrath to protect their board. Running a split is probably correct but it seems like an incredibly trivial upgrade, especially if you aren't playing Bo3.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

I've cashed in some gold in a Quick Draft and this is what I got. Please help me get something good out of it since it's my second draft ever :v:

Went 5-3 with this, that is more than I expected to be fair. Doom Blade was a dead or half card in 6 out of 8 games (everyone was either Silverquill or Witherbloom, except for 2 Prismari); Finale and Combat Professor were the key cards, as expected. Had to mulligan down to 4 and 5 in two games; in two other games, I got stuck at low mana or with just 1 Swamp for a long time even with 40%+ to draw a land each time: I also made a couple of mistakes that could have net me an extra win. Paid for this with Gold though, so I'm not too concerned. Even got the extra package :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2021

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Some CoCo decks play Meddling Mage and they're gonna try and name your wrath to protect their board. Running a split is probably correct but it seems like an incredibly trivial upgrade, especially if you aren't playing Bo3.

Eh, it's non trivial but it's certainly not something to worry about if you're pinched on wildcards

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Thanks to everyone who mentioned how great the magecraft decks were.

I made a boros and a selesnya version. They are both really fun!

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/selesnya-magecraft-2

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/boros-magecraft-512986

As always suggestions are welcome~

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 2, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's a rare from the core set, so I wouldn't recommend crafting it, but I bet Primal Might would be real good in the selesnya version of you have them.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Azathoth posted:

It's a rare from the core set, so I wouldn't recommend crafting it, but I bet Primal Might would be real good in the selesnya version of you have them.

That is a very good idea, totally looked over that one. I have a couple, thanks!

Forgot it was a sorcery though, was trying to go just for instants mostly. One copy wouldn't hurt I suppose

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 2, 2021

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I managed to draft 4 bury in books, augmentor pugilist, and exponential growth. First game went about exactly as I wanted. Delayed until I managed an x=3 growth on an 8/8 pugilist. 😂

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Opinionated posted:

That is a very good idea, totally looked over that one. I have a couple, thanks!

Forgot it was a sorcery though, was trying to go just for instants mostly. One copy wouldn't hurt I suppose

Yeah, it's not something I'd include 4 of, even if you have them, but in terms of targeted removal it's decent and it's also a good combo with Charge Through to close out a game.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, it's not something I'd include 4 of, even if you have them, but in terms of targeted removal it's decent and it's also a good combo with Charge Through to close out a game.

Yea definitely, I'm gonna try out 2 copies and see how it performs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Opinionated posted:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned how great the magecraft decks were.

I made a boros and a selesnya version. They are both really fun!

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/selesnya-magecraft-2

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/boros-magecraft-512986

As always suggestions are welcome~

These decks should have Study Break imo. Double falter at mana value 2 is good enough to play on its own, and on top of that you can go get Environmental Sciences in the selesnya one too and shore up the otherwise shaky mana base.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm thinking again of crafting something for Standard and as a new player, I'd like some advice if folks are willing. I'm going to give it another week to see what else pops up in the meta, but barring a major shift or a new deck type popping up, I think I've settled on some kind of go-wide Naya Adventures deck with Clarion Spirit. Of all the meta decks, it's the one that I've got by far the most pieces of already, excepting the Pathway lands, which seem like exceptionally safe crafts. It would also give me all the Pathways but B/G, which seems like a good place to be for when the meta shifts post-rotation.

In looking at what gets played in tournaments and posted, this one seems really representative: https://mtgazone.com/deck/naya-tokens-jegantha-by-ruda-149-mythic-april-2021-ranked-season/:

quote:

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring

Deck
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Branchloft Pathway
4 Clarion Spirit
4 Cragcrown Pathway
4 Edgewall Innkeeper
2 Elite Spellbinder
4 Fabled Passage
2 Felidar Retreat
3 Forest
4 Giant Killer
4 Jaspera Sentinel
3 Kabira Takedown
4 Lovestruck Beast
2 Mountain
4 Needleverge Pathway
2 Plains
4 Showdown of the Skalds
2 Toski, Bearer of Secrets

The variance that I've seen between decks involves the 6 cards that in the above deck, are given to 2 Elite Spellbinders, 2 Toski, and 2 Felidar Retreat. I've seen them used on those cards in various numbers, as well as Esika's Chariot, Reidane, Shepherd of the Flock, and Adventurous Impulse. My gut is to go with what's in the list to start because I have the Toski and Felidar Retreat already. If I end up going up to 4 Elite Spellbinder and cutting the Felidar Retreat (as much as I like the card), it won't be a waste of WCs. Also, Elite Spellbinder seems like an exceptionally safe craft post-rotation at either 2 or 4, given all the play it's seeing now. It just seems like a card that is going to be a standard in any deck that plays white until it leaves Standard.

The elephant on asking about crafting anything for Standard is that this would involve using 12 rare WCs on cards that leave in the Fall, but given my overall WC position, I'm okay with that. At the rate I'm accruing WCs, I'll still be positioned to craft multiple on-meta decks post rotation even if I do this, and I think the enjoyment I'll get out of them over the next four months is worth it, even if I never branch off into playing them in Historic.

Do folks have thoughts on that particular list, if there's a better one for Bo1, etc.?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Do folks have thoughts on that particular list, if there's a better one for Bo1, etc.?

I've played this list before but I was really bad at it. It does really well though from what I've seen, I like Felidar Retreat but doubt it's required. Haven't played it with PVDDR.

If you have the cards for gruul adventure there's a version with Magda and Jaspera Sentinel that's been pretty hot lately.

sit on my Facebook posted:

These decks should have Study Break imo. Double falter at mana value 2 is good enough to play on its own, and on top of that you can go get Environmental Sciences in the selesnya one too and shore up the otherwise shaky mana base.

Have been trying it out and it's pretty great given the lack of trample most turns, thanks. Never hurts to be able to get another magecraft trigger in your hand too!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The learn cards those decks tend to play is Guiding Voice, that's a cheap way to get two triggers and it's a better buff than some of your other 1 mana spells.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Opinionated posted:

I've played this list before but I was really bad at it. It does really well though from what I've seen, I like Felidar Retreat but doubt it's required. Haven't played it with PVDDR.

If you have the cards for gruul adventure there's a version with Magda and Jaspera Sentinel that's been pretty hot lately.
The comedy reason for not wanting to play that is that I've developed a visceral hate for Embercleave after losing to it a few dozen times and while I'm sure it feels pretty drat good for the shoe to be on the other foot, I just can't do that to other people.

The real answer is that I've seen that one played and it looks fun but requires more main deck WCs and more mythic WCs too. And while Gruul was my favorite of the starter decks, but in general I seem to gravitate towards the Bant colors, so spending anything on Red cards is always a bit of a stretch for me. However, Selesnya and Bant decks don't really seem to be viable, and I have a full playset of Showdown of the Skalds, so the only red main deck WCs would be spent on Bonecrusher Giant which is, as I've seen it put, basically mandatory if you're playing Red.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
After going 0-3, 1-3 and 1-3 in my first three Quick Drafts, I finally had a decent showing just now with a 4-3 outing. It was another Silverquill deck. Nothing too sexy. The only two rares I played were Sparring Regimen (felt like it had a good impact on one game) and Oriq Loremage (pretty lame by itself, made no impact for me). I got to play around more with +1/+1 counters, which worked out well. I also had a little better luck this time around; one victory was against an opponent who probably would've been better served playing a mulligan, and conceded with over 10 life left. Every match was competitive, whereas in past drafts many losses were me just getting my teeth kicked in. I might've prevent a loss or two if I had played smarter, if I hadn't been too aggressive. Though my last win was because I made a ballsy, all out attack. It left me with one create left, four of theirs survived, but a couple turns later I was able to turn things around and take control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You should play Embercleave now because you're not going to be playing any kind of Equipment after rotation lol