Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

The Endless seem perfect for this.
https://www.distractify.com/p/the-sandman-netflix-release-date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

In many depictions, Hecate is three women that seem to be Gorilla Glued together. In this case I chose to think of her having three aspects.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That looks awesome.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm very dumb. Meet Agaricus. He is the God of all things mycological. Pictured here, his body, Indigo blue cap. Shoulders are Chicken of the Woods. His pepis is a Morel. Cool rear end legs are Lion's Mane. And the staff is Amarita.

Gotta rush it cause I have to look for a job. Hopefully next time, I will get to take some care with it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Redid like half of this since yesterday and posting now so I don't redo no more. From a never-will-be-finished idea for a children's book.

I got dinged once before for fan art so I just want to make absolutely clear this has nothing to do with Marvel and exists in the Norse universe where Loki isn't Thor's brother and is instead giving birth to 8 legged horses. Also please note the period correct rune sticks and IKEA furnishings.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got dinged once before for fan art so I just want to make absolutely clear this has nothing to do with Marvel and exists in the Norse universe where Loki isn't Thor's brother and is instead giving birth to 8 legged horses
IIRC in Norse myth Loki was Odin's blood brother?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

IIRC in Norse myth Loki was Odin's blood brother?

Yeah, I think he’s Thor’s uncle. Marvel really took a lot of liberties with Norse mythology, but then again the Norse took a lot of liberties with Norse mythology as I think most of everything we know is from two poems which were only written down after they started converting to Christianity.

Also an eight legged horse wouldn’t necessarily be better than a 4 legged one. They don’t run faster the more legs you add.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

GODDESS OF WIFI, circa 2020
This artists’ rendition depicts the domestic or household goddess Wifi, adorned with symbols of abundance and protection, and surrounded by her sacred aura.
By the early 21st century, most pre-Crash homes held a shrine to this household spirit. Wifi was believed to bestow peace, prosperity and knowledge upon the home; in exchange, her shrine or “router” was kept in a prominent place within the building, and placated with certain secret words. While primarily a nurturing spirit, there are references to Wifi's victory over a shadowy figure known (perhaps pejoratively) as "Die-Lup."
It is important to remember that there was no “one” Wifi; rather, every home hosted its own Wifi goddess. A family might allow an honoured visitor to petition their resident Wifi by providing the necessary secret prayer-words. It was understood that this blessing would cease once the visitor had exited the home.
Of interest to linguists is the obvious link between this goddess’ name and the Anglish word for a female spouse. This is thought to hint at an earlier role in agricultural fertility rites, one that was evidently lost with the growing urbanisation of pre-Crash culture.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

All the entries are looking great so far, can't wait to write out a more thought out critique of 'em!

The rest of youse, you have time until Saturday this week to post! Please post even if you're not fully finished, I'd still like to see them.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I did Artio, Celtic bear goddess.
Relief print.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 30, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hallo spacedog posted:

Relief print.

It's gorgeous, I want to feed/worship/colour in this beastie.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

hallo spacedog posted:

Relief print.

Love this

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

hallo spacedog posted:

Relief print.

Hell yeah.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks all :3:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Oh gently caress, I completely ran out of time this week. Just ink on paper, didn't have the time/lighting to set up a more precise photo unfortunately.

A new, nameless deity, the patron of protest medics.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I think we have all passed Saturday now and it's time for critique and eventual winner!

The Halogens posted:

In many depictions, Hecate is three women that seem to be Gorilla Glued together. In this case I chose to think of her having three aspects.

I went to Wikipedia to refresh my knowledge of Hekate and this line stood out to me: "Intrinsically ambivalent and polymorphous, she straddles conventional boundaries and eludes definition." because I think it fits your work to the T. The colour scheme and linework are very fluid and I keep coming back to the work, finding new small details everywhere. I especially love the three-headed Hekate's confident stare at the viewer, and the right-most Hekate's body interacting with the snake. It looks very natural.The front left Hekate seems more conventional and stands out from the other two, and her dog's body is a bit clumsy. Bonus point for not doing the line work in black.

ButtWolf posted:

I'm very dumb. Meet Agaricus. He is the God of all things mycological. Pictured here, his body, Indigo blue cap. Shoulders are Chicken of the Woods. His pepis is a Morel. Cool rear end legs are Lion's Mane. And the staff is Amarita.

Gotta rush it cause I have to look for a job. Hopefully next time, I will get to take some care with it.

I let out a spontaneous chuckle when I saw this for the first time. It's just so dang delightful. I really like how you incorporated all the different mushrooms to his body, I love the blue colour of him, I love the little buttcheeck curve that forms when he is lifting his leg, I love his very chill facial expression. It's just a whole package!The tree is a bit clumsy looking, but I think the strong linework helps it look more intentional than just unfinished.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Redid like half of this since yesterday and posting now so I don't redo no more. From a never-will-be-finished idea for a children's book.

I got dinged once before for fan art so I just want to make absolutely clear this has nothing to do with Marvel and exists in the Norse universe where Loki isn't Thor's brother and is instead giving birth to 8 legged horses. Also please note the period correct rune sticks and IKEA furnishings.

The only real depictions of Norse legends are Peter Madsen's Valhalla and Marvel can go suck an egg. :colbert:

Anyway. First of all, I've been doing riso prints lately so I really like that raster pattern you've got going on. I also really like Thor's pose and facial expression, he really spooked himself with that sneeze. Odin's design gave me a chuckle as well, I really like the chainmail sweater vest and dadly moustache/hair combo. His chin is really great as well. Frigg has less going on for her, but I really like how the colour of her dress and the colour of Odin's chair play together, it gives a nice dynamic feel to the image, which might otherwise have a very muted, still colour scheme. I wish Frigg was positioned a bit further away (so, higher up), now the hem of her dress is so close to Thor that it fucks with the perspective, making her look tiny.

Tree Bucket posted:

GODDESS OF WIFI, circa 2020
This artists rendition depicts the domestic or household goddess Wifi, adorned with symbols of abundance and protection, and surrounded by her sacred aura.
By the early 21st century, most pre-Crash homes held a shrine to this household spirit. Wifi was believed to bestow peace, prosperity and knowledge upon the home; in exchange, her shrine or “router” was kept in a prominent place within the building, and placated with certain secret words. While primarily a nurturing spirit, there are references to Wifi's victory over a shadowy figure known (perhaps pejoratively) as "Die-Lup."
It is important to remember that there was no “one” Wifi; rather, every home hosted its own Wifi goddess. A family might allow an honoured visitor to petition their resident Wifi by providing the necessary secret prayer-words. It was understood that this blessing would cease once the visitor had exited the home.
Of interest to linguists is the obvious link between this goddess’ name and the Anglish word for a female spouse. This is thought to hint at an earlier role in agricultural fertility rites, one that was evidently lost with the growing urbanisation of pre-Crash culture.

I love, love this world you have created. Thank you for writing down the backstory, it really adds a lot to the piece. Her tough expression and the binary code (does it spell out something in particular?) halo are my favourite parts. I like that she seems more like a wiry warrior goddess on a short break than very soft, domestic one, it gives her more complexity and makes her more intriguing than if you would've depicted her as a more standard Maria-like domestic goddess. There's something a bit clunky going on with the left (her right) shoulder/upper arm area, but the hand holding the key is rendered beautifully, esp the pinky finger.

hallo spacedog posted:

Relief print.

TIL about Artio, haven't heard of her before. :3: I like how serene this whole piece is: it's at the same time static and light, floating slightly. I like how you have kept the roses and the thorns separate objects, so that when you start looking at the image its first this hippydippy bear with a soft rose crown, but then it's end in a really sharp, violent looking chain of thorns (and her bottom teeth), with the possibility of being interpreted as both keeping her in and us out. Kudos for also rendering the snout so well, I think they often tend to look real goofy when drawn from straight ahead. I could see this image being a sort of secret sticker sign for Artio worshippers, placed in empty warehouses or sewer openings to symbolize a safe place.

Sitting Here posted:

Oh gently caress, I completely ran out of time this week. Just ink on paper, didn't have the time/lighting to set up a more precise photo unfortunately.

A new, nameless deity, the patron of protest medics.

It doesn't look like you ran out of time at all! This looks like a very finished piece to me. Everything has its place and the arrangement looks very thought out. I love the shape the deity creates, both from her wild hair and the fabric/material of her gown/body. I like how you kept both the deity's and the medic's face obscured, it gives the helpee's expression a real heart wrenching oomph. Your line work is gorgeous, and I like how you have managed to give the piece real depth with just the outlines of the foreground characters being slightly thicker. The way the deity's hair also billows out and goes from very dense, dark lines to more sparse ones is incredibly beautiful. The only thing I'm not wild about is the circly things at the bottom, I think they seem a it unnecessary.

Thank you everyone for participating, and sorry for using the word "like" so much in my critiques! English is also not my first language so I hope they are not too confusing.

The winner of this round is ButtWolf with Agaricus! I just love that guy too much.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OMG! Thank you so much! This fills me with joy. You should have picked Spacedog's bear, but Ill accept your decision. The more I look at that bear, the more I want it tattoo'd on my chest.

In May, I'd like to see Lucky Charms!

Rabbit's feet, ladybugs, fish, numbers, etc. Lots of cultures gravitate toward certain objects or living things that are said to bring luck. What brings you luck? What do you wish would bring you luck if you brought it with you all of the time? Feel free to get weird AF, Ill eat it up.

Submissions by May 30th

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I love the little mushroom guy.
I am going to sit out this month because I'm about to have a baby but hoping to be back after that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the challenge and the critiques, Doll House Ghost! I really liked how this month's collection turned out; every entry felt like it had some kind of story or real personality behind it.
Also, I'll sign up for lucky charms.

e: congrats on the soon-to-be-Hallo Spacepup

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 3, 2021

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hallo spacedog posted:

I love the little mushroom guy.
I am going to sit out this month because I'm about to have a baby but hoping to be back after that.

Congrats!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

ButtWolf posted:

Congrats!

Thanks!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Congrats Spacedog!

And I'll draw some lucky charms.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maybe June's prompt can be sleeplessness due to crying babies just for Spacedog.

And yeah, Dollhouse, I wasn't happy with Frigg either. There wasn't a lot of room to position everyone and I had already moved her multiple times before settling with that. Daddy Odin was much more fun to draw.

And I'll throw in a lucky submission for May.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
in

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Let's try this.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats 5 so far. I have a good feeling that these are gonna be real cool.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm in for lucky charms!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Don't know if I'll have time to finish but this prompt is great motivation for a thing I have wanted to make for a while now. So I'm in.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7! Sending positive vibes!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I'll give it a go. Feel bad about not submitting before but the end of the term kinda got to me.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ended up going on a creative spree today and finished it way ahead of time.
Charm Vendor, Digital

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chernabog posted:

Charm Vendor, Digital

YES

A highly auspicious start to the entries!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chernabog posted:

Charm Vendor, Digital

The bar has been set high.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try and New Yorker up this place.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I had real trouble coming up with something this month, but in the end, went with my friends' jokes about lucky dice and not "using up all of the 6's" by rolling them too much...

(on another note, I feel real bad for the maimed rhino)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 days left. Yall can do it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last day. Push it out. You got it.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
God I wish I had a decent camera to post this! Colours washed out it was a bright green lol ah well.

Loving the entries so far :)

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Sorry, I didn't have time to do anything, shamefully. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm terrible at critiquing btw, sorry.

THRASHINGTEETH : This is horrifying. It's great, makes me feel icky. It might be the green. Poor lil rabbit. BUT, awesome design, awesome linework and hatching. Great job.

thrashingteeth posted:

God I wish I had a decent camera to post this! Colours washed out it was a bright green lol ah well.

Loving the entries so far :)

TREE BUCKET : I LOVE the numbers here. Combo of texture and grey color keeps it from contention for me. Would have loved to see it with more color! drat good stuff though. I'm guessing your friend has a collection of 20+ sets. I do too and it's a problem.

Tree Bucket posted:

I had real trouble coming up with something this month, but in the end, went with my friends' jokes about lucky dice and not "using up all of the 6's" by rolling them too much...

(on another note, I feel real bad for the maimed rhino)

KRISPY WAFER : Man, this is brilliantly done. Charming. Great style. Actually kind of funny. Wonderful work.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I decided to try and New Yorker up this place.

CHERNABOG : I don't like the moon. Everything else is 100% my jam. The colors and the goofiness of everything is really fun. I'd love to see this character as an NPC in an RPG.

Chernabog posted:

Charm Vendor, Digital

Congrats to our winner Chernabog! Congrats to Krisy Wafer, thrashingteeth, and Tree Bucket for getting something done. Great work everyone.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 1, 2021