Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
COMMON: I put a lot of thought into this one / IQ is Nate Robinson / D Rose is Rip Hamilton / And Taj Gibson is Taj Gibson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i have put a lot of thought into this. randle is Reverse Joakim Noah, barrett is young jimmy, quickley is naterob, derrick rose is rip hamilton.

taj gibson is taj gibson

This is some PhD Thesis poo poo right here.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Maestro posted:

COMMON: I put a lot of thought into this one / IQ is Nate Robinson / D Rose is Rip Hamilton / And Taj Gibson is Taj Gibson

Lol

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

I had covid dead early on in 2020 and it was like 2 months of just feeling like poo poo and having no stamina at all. Novel viruses can really gently caress you up, even if you're a healthy person

You good now, homie?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have a broken thumb and not playing basketball has just made me a fat lazy slob. Help me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not sure how this game is going to be played

https://twitter.com/jledwardsiii/status/1389044052302221313?s=21

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone look at Lukas record against the Kings and tell be Vlade was wrong

He's also 1-8 against DeAndre Ayton lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone plot a path for the kings that has them playing Dallas, Denver, and Boston in the playoffs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dutchy posted:

He's also 1-8 against DeAndre Ayton lol

The career of Luka will end up being some kind of Greek tragedy

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

The career of Luka will end up being some kind of Greek tragedy

Two decades of choral interludes explaining that yes this was a quiet offseason but next year we have cap space

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You good now, homie?

In terms of covid, fantastic. Otherwise, no comment :lol:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Less_HumbleTeej/status/1389090782062149637

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Knight of Lebron assembling: this was specifically about last year's weirdness because there was a big layoff and it screwed up the schedule

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

jackofarcades posted:

Knight of Lebron assembling: this was specifically about last year's weirdness because there was a big layoff and it screwed up the schedule

As opposed to the supreme normalcy of this year?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

As opposed to the supreme normalcy of this year?

The problem last year was that the schedule got interrupted and then changed because they eliminated the last 8 teams, which meant teams that had easier schedules in the race got screwed over. So it made sense to do some kind of one time thing. I think, specifically, the Pelicans went from a very easy schedule to a hard one.

The other thing to remember is that this version of the play-in is different than last year's.

That said... the play-in is good! It's effectively shrunk the playoffs to 6 teams in each conference as opposed to 8.

edit: I also think the fact that the season got shorter? meant they felt like teams that were behind got screwed because they would've had a chance to catch up.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 3, 2021

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dutchy posted:

Two decades of choral interludes explaining that yes this was a quiet offseason but next year we have cap space

Lol

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

If I didn't like the play-in tournament I would simply be a sixth seed

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
My one minor gripe about it is that the winner of the 9-10 only has to beat the loser of the 7-8 once. Technically the loser of the 7-8 has to lose twice to be eliminated, but they should have to lose twice to the team who isn’t even in the playoffs, not lose twice in general. Having 3 play in games would be a bit much, but I think it’s absurd that you could potentially be a 7 seed and lose once to a 10 seed and not make the playoffs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1389196354258415618

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I love that as teams start slipping down to the 7th they suddenly start bitching about the play-in. Mission accomplished.

Also I appreciate Lebron keeping Skip fed.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I love the playin. Now if we can just get a unified bracket that goes 1-16 rather than two sets of 8 I’ll be happy.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
As a fan of a team in the 9th spot, the Play-in is amazing! It's also the one post season series the Pacers ever have a chance of winning.

It's not going anywhere. There are still only 6 teams eliminated from the playoffs so far, that's probably amazing for ratings down the stretch.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
How exactly did the Raptors, on the second half of a travelling back-to-back, beat the Lakers in LA? Did they just run Lowry-Siakam pick and roll for 40 minutes?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I love the playin. Now if we can just get a unified bracket that goes 1-16 rather than two sets of 8 I’ll be happy.

Until they can figure out how to guarantee the first round wouldn't be 6 home teams in the same time zone it can't happen because of TV scheduling problems.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The playin is good because Washington might sneak in because of it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Underrated benefit too: Its gives the 8 seed a chance to play the 2nd seed instead. Some years that is a huge difference maker. Not sure its a big deal this year but in years past you'd have a lot better chance knocking off a 2 seed vs a 1.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Bill Simmons made a good point for once: a lot of people claim to dislike the play-in, but everyone is watching those games. Who the hell doesn't want to see Russ and Beal go nuclear?

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Metapod posted:

The playin is good because Washington might sneak in because of it

I’m praying for a Nets-Wizards series. LaMelo coming back giving me mixed emotions

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

If LeBron gets shut down by Dillon Brooks and Demar DeRozen, then he doesn't deserve to make the playoffs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My only concern is if the Warriors knock out the Lakers Monkeu is going to be pretty irritating.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Absolutely. I think the play-in is quite dumb as currently constructed, but if you reseed the entire field and allow for potentially an all-West or all-East championship series then that would be good and rad as gently caress.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

a new study bible! posted:

Absolutely. I think the play-in is quite dumb as currently constructed, but if you reseed the entire field and allow for potentially an all-West or all-East championship series then that would be good and rad as gently caress.

This would make more sense. As it stands now, the play in punishes West teams. The East play in will see two teams with losing records face each other. This makes no sense and both those spots should be given to teams with winning records. (and if there are none, then there shouldn't be a play in that year because teams with losing records shouldn't be rewarded a chance to get into the playoffs.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 3, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lockback posted:

Until they can figure out how to guarantee the first round wouldn't be 6 home teams in the same time zone it can't happen because of TV scheduling problems.

Just guarantee that 1-4 is the top two in each conference and that 1-8 has four from each conference, I guess. But then you're kind of constructing the playoffs rather than letting them fall into place.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7556303/

Probably not news by now, but there's good evidence to show COVID as a vascular disease. So yeah, "Concussion like" symptoms afterward does not seem unreasonable or surprising.

Also, don't get COVID, if you have any like, sway with God/the capricious nature of fate.

Dejan, man. You got that at like, probably the worst time to get it, so I'm real glad you got out.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The play-in sucks poo poo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Now that Thibs has made the Knicks respectable and secretly the best team in the league the play in is indeed stupid

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Last year's play in game kicked rear end and if this year's set gives us even one game as fun as Grizzlies/Blazers I'm going to call it a success

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1389241504678375425
yikes, I'm shocked at any player that isn't vaccinated at this point. I know there was some vaccine hesitancy in the league but how can any player think taking it is a bad idea now when Tatum needs an inhaler to play after getting it?

To be nice, anyone not getting the vaccine (that can) at this point is a tremendous idiot.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 3, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm fine with the play-in but I do find it funny last year the criticism of restarting the regular season in the bubble was "if you wanted to make the playoffs you should have won more games" and now the play-in is a regular thing and it's "oh man what if the 7th or 8th seed loses two games is that fair?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1389241504678375425
yikes, I'm shocked at any player that isn't vaccinated at this point. I know there was some vaccine hesitancy in the league but how can any player think taking it is a bad idea now when Tatum needs an inhaler to play after getting it?

To be nice, anyone not getting the vaccine (that can) at this point is a tremendous idiot.

not disagreeing but its entirely possible to catch covid and spread it even with a vaccine. the vaccine limits the damage covid does, i.e. death - it doesnt outright prevent catching covid.