Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

This sport is also unsustainable because of the whole climate catastrophe but dammit it's the only one I enjoy watching. I love high speed games where every goal is a major event.

It's dumb but I love it.

I mean I over post about it here on a near daily basis. I love hockey so much, but it's super dumb. It spits in my face every single day but I just can't get enough of it. It's a wonderful, stupid thing which hates me personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How will McDavid and Draisaitl cope with not playing as many games against Ottawa Toronto and Montreal and instead have to play the Kings, Ducks and Sharks. Wow that's gonna be fuckin brutal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well one of those teams might actually try and hit him once in a while rather than just state glassy eyed at him as he cuts inside on the defence for the thirtieth time.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I genuinely can't tell if this comment is supposed to be more about Matthews, Marner, or Draisaitl.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Well one of those teams might actually try and hit him once in a while rather than just state glassy eyed at him as he cuts inside on the defence for the thirtieth time.

McDavid elbows now and everyone is scared.

Hand Knit posted:

I genuinely can't tell if this comment is supposed to be more about Matthews, Marner, or Draisaitl.

Ya its such a weird "quote" that without context its basically written by that reporter to just piss off everyone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Sure they might try, but what makes you think they'll succeed?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In hindsight, it's goddamn hilarious the Stars convinced themselves they had a real shot at the playoffs after getting 4 straight games against the Red Wings

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

it's pretty true though. other than that they're pretty much the same player.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1389257341099446272
It's crazy how much different PAS is from Pittsburgh sports media bubble

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks were way better than the Flames but Cloutier was such trash. Bertuzzi murdering Moore really sucked the wind out of the sails of a drat good team.

Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla

He was so dominant that entire run.. I love him.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
That Gelianis no-goal would count nowadays. Poor Flames.

Lol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/TomGulittiNHL/s...me-decisions%2F

Oshie’s father has been suffering massively from Alzheimer’s, I think. Nothing’s confirmed but it could’ve taken a turn for the worst.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Can confirm Matheson is just as terrible as ever, but he hasn't looked as egregiously bad since other dmen have gotten healthy and pushed him away from top opposition lines. Can't expect someone who gets paid to follow and pontificate about hockey all day to notice such a subtle thing though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matheson getting hurt is a non-event because he's of about the same quality as whatever random minor leaguer might replace him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1389257341099446272
It's crazy how much different PAS is from Pittsburgh sports media bubble

there is no conceivable metric you can use to describe Matheson's playing as "great"
I'm glad he's hurt and I hope he stays hurt
Bring on POJ who at 21 is already a better hockey player than Matheson

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fuckin' nerds and their fuckin' metrics

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shinjobi posted:

In hindsight, it's goddamn hilarious the Stars convinced themselves they had a real shot at the playoffs after getting 4 straight games against the Red Wings

Cats gonna help them tonight, Knight is starting keeper and Deroisers (who hasn't played in the NHL before) is backup. No Verhaeghe or Hornqvist still, Sam Bennett on day to day. So it's definitely not our top team out on the ice tonight for sure.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Robertson. For. Calder.

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/1389265834581839872

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No, it has to go to the guy with the bald spot because he has 2 more points.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Darnell Nurse gonna get paid next offseason.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

The question is... who by

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Matheson’s been alright on offense but I still can’t stand his defense. Bring back POJo and boom problem solved.

I still can’t believe they traded Hornqvist for him and that contract.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Tyler Seguin has been activated from IR.

I assume this is punishment for missing a team meeting.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1389272622681137154

that's a beautiful bottom six, in the sense that it costs a total of $4m and provides a ton of roster and cap flexibility that a rebuilding team can weaponize.

If only, you know, they didn't also have a 30m taxi squad.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hey anyone here a huge fan of the King's purple and gold and luc Robitaille? I found one of those McFarland figurines in a box and the thing goes for like 50-150 on ebay. I can't be assed to sell it and was going to put it on my desk until I looked it up. I'll probably still put it on my desk, but if someone here really wants it and will put up for shipping it's yours to a better home.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Am definitely not looking forward to that! Like I want the Oilers to keep him and I want Darnell to get rich, but I don't necessarily want those two things together.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DOOMocrat posted:

Tyler Seguin has been activated from IR.

I assume this is punishment for missing a team meeting.

He's got an article up on the athletic about how bad his leg got

I uh......I think the end of this season is really just a stress test for him. Between his hip and his knee his leg was in a bad way.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I don't read Saad's articles for the same reasons I don't read team media. If it was Shapiro, sorry I missed it.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Hey anyone here a huge fan of the King's purple and gold and luc Robitaille? I found one of those McFarland figurines in a box and the thing goes for like 50-150 on ebay. I can't be assed to sell it and was going to put it on my desk until I looked it up. I'll probably still put it on my desk, but if someone here really wants it and will put up for shipping it's yours to a better home.

I will happily take this and pay for shipping if still available!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Defector (aka Deadspin in Exile) is having a Senators week. So far, this is the highlight:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/isabelschmtzlr/status/1388704774749577217

this is the best micahblob chart I've ever seen

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How will McDavid and Draisaitl cope with not playing as many games against Ottawa Toronto and Montreal and instead have to play the Kings, Ducks and Sharks. Wow that's gonna be fuckin brutal.

Toronto and Montreal doing alright in the "Stop McDavid" department, but Vancouver is right up there too. With a goal per game...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
McDavid's gonna hit 100 points as long he gets in all of his games against Vancouver

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1389263740638580736?s=19

quote:

In a wide-ranging interview, Scott, who confers with general manager Chuck Fletcher every day and believes in his decision making, said he doesn’t think the team needs radical changes. He believes the Flyers need another scorer and top-pairing defenseman, and he strongly hinted that a backup goaltender is on the team’s wish list.

“I think we’re closer than our record shows,” Scott said. “If you look at it, it’s the same core group we had last season, and we took a big step under difficult circumstances, playing up in Toronto in the bubble.”
dogshit garbage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And a coach, did he mention that they need a coach

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

we're one backup goalie away from Kevin Hayes giving a poo poo

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kevin Hayes is known for giving shits in inappropriate places.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

we're one backup goalie away from Kevin Hayes giving a poo poo

“All we need is an elite scorer, top defenseman and goaltending.”

Aka, “all we need is better people in all 3 positions.” Like no poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hey cool how about fire AV and the rest of the coaching staff into the sun???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie posted:

The players certainly aren’t ignorant to the situation, of course. They know this season was a massive disappointment and an outright organizational failure, especially accounting for the sky-high expectations that preceded it. Unsurprisingly, it was the typically blunt Shayne Gostisbehere who cut right to the heart of the matter last week.

“We realize, obviously, some changes are gonna come,” he said. “We’re not stupid in that sense. It’s our lives too, we know sometimes is gonna happen.”
It wasn’t said in angry or bitter fashion — merely a statement of fact from a player who has lived through the Flyers’ 2020-21 season and knows what is likely to follow it. At this point, it would be more surprising if general manager Chuck Fletcher delivers a ho-hum, tweak-things-around-the-edges offseason than one full of eye-catching moves.

That’s not to say that Fletcher will blow up the team. But 2020-21 made it plain to see that the team’s inherent roster weaknesses — the lack of an impact right-handed blueliner, too few forwards with shooting mentalities, the absence of a viable backup plan in case of a Carter Hart regression — were significant enough that they will hold this team back from true Stanley Cup contention even in normal seasons.

The Flyers most likely aren’t this bad from a true talent standpoint — 2020-21 was something of a Murphy’s Law year. But it sure doesn’t look like they’re good enough, either. The “hope that improvements will come from within” strategy apparently isn’t going to cut it. Add in the combination of fan anger and apathy — the paid attendance for Saturday’s game was 2,683 but the numerous empty assigned seats sure made it seem like the actual attendance was far lower — and an active offseason looms as even more essential if Comcast Spectacor wants to guarantee a packed house come October when hopefully the COVID-19 situation is under enough control to allow for full attendance at games.