Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cactus posted:

well obviously. I haven't even sat down and watched it yet, I'm just ranting generally about the whole checkov's gun trope and how I don't think it has a place in modern storytelling anymore.

It's not even modern storytelling, it's just that it was written by a playwright. It is a good general rule, but it's more important for shorter length material with different limitations. If you are playing around with 1 to 4 hours of a focused story on a stage, stick to your core and don't introduce things you don't intend to pay off. If you have 8, 12, God forbid 24 hours a season where you can pop around perspectives and locales at will? You have time. You still need to remember pacing, and what a diversion can do to the flow of your story, but you don't need for everything to pay off in the overarching narrative [If you even have one].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It definitely is more applicable to literature than it is to film. It "costs" time, paragraphs or pages, to talk about a gun hung on a wall. In TV and cinema, you can have a gun on the wall and not talk about it at all. At the same time, if every scene transition into the room has a lingering shot on the gun, you drat well better fire it, or show a flashback about why it's there or something like that.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I don't wanna know anybody who watches Patriot and goes "nah"

It's objectively good don't @ me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I don't wanna know anybody who watches Patriot and goes "nah"

It's objectively good don't @ me

I always warn people that it takes two episodes to settle into its tone. The end of the first episode is really dark for John’s character, even though it sets up great pieces later.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

theflyingexecutive posted:

I always warn people that it takes two episodes to settle into its tone. The end of the first episode is really dark for John’s character, even though it sets up great pieces later.

Yeah, on rewatching it's really clear that ending was mostly done for the sake of having an "oh gently caress" moment even though it does as you say set up stuff for the future, and eventuality John does go that dark again :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think Patriot's second season is as good as season 1. There are a lot of good scenes, jokes, takes, etc. but a few of the plots go nowhere fast and it doesn't wrap up as tightly in the final episode as the first season did.

I also don't think the Paris Metro, which serves as the second season's go to metaphor, is as strong or as original as the way the previous season used piping.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05pR_4wUKw

This show looks dumb, but I’ll watch it anyway.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

I've been tentatively looking forward to this since the last season of Arrow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those are some sweaty dudes with shaved chests. I know Stephen Amell was in an actual WWE match so this has to be a passion project.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Given how many interruptions this show had, I'm surprised they managed to get all eight episodes in the can.

When's the last time STARZ renewed a freshman drama? I can only think of P-Valley. Everything else they have is either a long runner (Outlander) or a spinoff of another long runner (Power Book 2, Power Book 3, Power Book 4, LOL).

Edit: It's coming out in AUGUST? LOL way to jump the gun there, STARZ.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 3, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chairman Capone posted:

The craziest thing to me about Oak Island is that multiple people have been killed digging for the "treasure". I can't imagine, say, Skinwalker Ranch continuing to be pumped out if people died looking for whatever the hell is supposed to be there.

Oak Island is apparently a real life version of an Indiana Jones adventure. In real life when a big-rear end boulder comes rolling down at people some of them are probably going to get squashed.

I watched some of Skinwalker Ranch a couple days. With the segments being filmed and dated two years ago in 2019, it comes off as kind of a long, dull found footage movie. Like at the end we'll say, "Oh, so that's how they all ended up as dismembered, radioactive skeletons. Well, now we know."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a little jarring to see how mainstream podcasts are. Parks and Recreation wasn't that long ago and when Leslie wanted to publicize something she went on the local morning zoo radio show. Rutherford Falls takes place in a similar smalltown setting and when Ed Helms doesn't want to remove a statue he goes to record a podcast with Paul F Thompkins instead. The town might not even have a radio station.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

When's the last time STARZ renewed a freshman drama? I can only think of P-Valley.

One of my biggest regrets from last year is not hyping this show up enough. It’s real fuckin good and I highly recommend it to any of you if the premise interests you at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Stephen Amell loving loves wrestling.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

When's the last time STARZ renewed a freshman drama? I can only think of P-Valley. Everything else they have is either a long runner (Outlander) or a spinoff of another long runner (Power Book 2, Power Book 3, Power Book 4, LOL).

They did give second seasons to Counterpoint and Sweetbitter, but both were canceled in 2019.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Girlfriend Experience, too. Which actually debuted after Outlander, for some reason I thought Outlander was just three or four years old.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Girlfriend Experience, too. Which actually debuted after Outlander, for some reason I thought Outlander was just three or four years old.

There's a new season of that airing now. Not sure what inspired them to bring it back, but back it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edward Mass posted:

This looks terrible but it's not being helped at all by the horrible accents. Whoever made that call needs to be fired.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

This looks dumb as gently caress.

Kinda bummed it isn't out until august. :(

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Everyone posted:

Oak Island is apparently a real life version of an Indiana Jones adventure. In real life when a big-rear end boulder comes rolling down at people some of them are probably going to get squashed.

I watched some of Skinwalker Ranch a couple days. With the segments being filmed and dated two years ago in 2019, it comes off as kind of a long, dull found footage movie. Like at the end we'll say, "Oh, so that's how they all ended up as dismembered, radioactive skeletons. Well, now we know."

These actually sound pretty cool are they any good? Or are there others that are any good? My Dad loves any kind of aliens/ conspiracy/buried treasure/monster stuff, are there any good reality shows out now that are like that? I haven't watched reality shows since Gold Rush several years back so I haven't really been following them.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've seen every episode of The Curse Of Oak Island and I love it. I don't like any of the other History Channel shows such as Ancient Aliens, Nazi Gold, etc. Skinwalker Ranch was okay but dumb.

I like Oak Island because they lean heavily on actual science- carbon dating, seismic surveys, ground penetrating radar, etc. Every once in a while they'll have some rando theorist on who claims to have found the secret to finding the treasure using wacky poo poo like astronomical alignments, ley lines, Knights Templar/ Freemason "secrets" and so on. Sometimes they do provide useful info for the team but most of the time it's just filler.

I don't know if I'd recommend watching it from the beginning though. Anyone interested could probably just read the Oak Island wikipedia page to get the basics, then jump into the last couple of seasons of the show.

While they haven't found any real treasure, they have dug up some interesting artifacts and have raised a lot of questions about the history of the area. I think they'll find something, but I don't think it will be a huge treasure cache or the Ark of the Covenant or whatever else is rumored to be there. It's pretty amazing though, that a group of people did so much elaborate work on the island in the 1600s. Something interesting happened there, for sure. This season has been really good, and the preview for this week's finale teases a very important find.

As far as people on the show go, my favorites are Gary the metal detection guy, and Billy Gerhardt the heavy equipment operator. Rick Lagina is pretty cool too.

As long as the Lagina bros keep dumping millions into their effort, I'll keep watching.

e: several months ago there were a few episodes of a spinoff called "Beyond Oak Island", featuring the Laginas bankrolling and assisting other treasure hunters. One was a pretty cool story about a team that found a shitload - and I mean a lot - of treasure on some sunken French (?) vessels, but the French gov't won't allow them to make a salvage claim. It was cool show and I hope they do a few more.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 3, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

It definitely is more applicable to literature than it is to film. It "costs" time, paragraphs or pages, to talk about a gun hung on a wall. In TV and cinema, you can have a gun on the wall and not talk about it at all. At the same time, if every scene transition into the room has a lingering shot on the gun, you drat well better fire it, or show a flashback about why it's there or something like that.

Wasn’t it quite literally about theater and specifically set/stage instructions in plays? If you write in a script that there’s a gun on the mantle, the props department has to find or buy a prop gun, and that’s an expenditure that they have to make, so don’t force them to do that unless the gun actually has a purpose.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wasn’t it quite literally about theater and specifically set/stage instructions in plays? If you write in a script that there’s a gun on the mantle, the props department has to find or buy a prop gun, and that’s an expenditure that they have to make, so don’t force them to do that unless the gun actually has a purpose.

Yes, though I don't know that a whiny prop department was the reasoning. Anyway, it's the same reason you shouldn't have scenes in a tv show or movie that don't serve any purpose, and the poster that brought it up was talking about Shadow and Bone, which probably had a fair few of those.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Could be. My 20 second glance at Wikipedia used the word chapter, so I just assumed it started in literature and moved on from there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Yes, though I don't know that a whiny prop department was the reasoning. Anyway, it's the same reason you shouldn't have scenes in a tv show or movie that don't serve any purpose, and the poster that brought it up was talking about Shadow and Bone, which probably had a fair few of those.

I mean it’s not whiny, if you read plays a lot of them do have very detailed stage notes and there’s no point restricting the designers/set decorators with something that’s merely a bit of detail.

It makes sense as a general metaphor but I do honestly think Chekhov was saying “stop telling these folks how to do their job, the set will look fine, just say what needs to be there.”

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

Prolific Simpsons writer and noted recluse John Swartzwelder has given his first ever major interview, and its great: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

Great read right there. I thought these two bits were neat:

quote:

How much time and attention did you spend on these scripts? Another “Simpsons” writer once compared your scripts to finely tuned machines—if the wrong person mucked with them, the whole thing could blow up.

All of my time and all of my attention. It’s the only way I know how to write, darn it. But I do have a trick that makes things easier for me. Since writing is very hard and rewriting is comparatively easy and rather fun, I always write my scripts all the way through as fast as I can, the first day, if possible, putting in crap jokes and pattern dialogue—“Homer, I don’t want you to do that.” “Then I won’t do it.” Then the next day, when I get up, the script’s been written. It’s lousy, but it’s a script. The hard part is done. It’s like a crappy little elf has snuck into my office and badly done all my work for me, and then left with a tip of his crappy hat. All I have to do from that point on is fix it. So I’ve taken a very hard job, writing, and turned it into an easy one, rewriting, overnight. I advise all writers to do their scripts and other writing this way. And be sure to send me a small royalty every time you do it.

quote:

The longtime “Simpsons” showrunner Mike Reiss once told NPR that you wrote Homer Simpson as if he were a big dog. True?

Yes, he is a big talking dog. One moment he’s the saddest man in the world, because he’s just lost his job, or dropped his sandwich, or accidentally killed his family. Then, the next moment, he’s the happiest man in the world, because he’s just found a penny—maybe under one of his dead family members. He’s not actually a dog, of course—he’s smarter than that—but if you write him as a dog you’ll never go wrong.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We've checked out some shows on Peacock, and goddamn, Mr. Mercedes is a banger.

Apparently It got snapped up not too long ago after something called 'Audience' folded.

Anybody else check it out? Brendan Gleeson kills it, and while the second season was definitely weaker than the first one, it's still pretty decent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Apparently It got snapped up not too long ago after something called 'Audience' folded.

Anybody else check it out? Brendan Gleeson kills it, and while the second season was definitely weaker than the first one, it's still pretty decent.

I bought the first season a while ago when it finally went up for sale instead of being locked on AT&T’s dumb poo poo and it was really good. Haven’t gotten around to S2 yet but if it’s on Peacock I might sign up for a month to watch it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well CW renewed that Kung Fu remake for a second season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it’s not whiny, if you read plays a lot of them do have very detailed stage notes and there’s no point restricting the designers/set decorators with something that’s merely a bit of detail.

It makes sense as a general metaphor but I do honestly think Chekhov was saying “stop telling these folks how to do their job, the set will look fine, just say what needs to be there.”

No, it isn't whiny necessarily. That was a joke because the narrative implications are infinitely more important, and are the whole point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love every word in this headline

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

I love every word in this headline

Hell, same.

Jojo Rabbit was so good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

It takes place on a different level of the Dark Tower but HBO’s the Outsider makes a good companion piece to Mr. Mercedes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah first season of Mr Mecedes is fantastic. The entire cast is great but to me the standouts were Breeda Wool as Lou and Justine Lupe as Holly Gibney. The 2nd season takes a wild turn and I'm still not sure I liked it all that much. I never finished the 3rd season.

I dropped out of The Outsider before the finale. That version of Holly Gibney was great, but played very differently from the Mr Mercedes Holly.

Also, I'm really enjoying Mare of Easttown. Broken people wrapped up in a murder mystery, with Kate Winslet and Jean Smart playing off of each other? gently caress yes.

e: oh yeah Guy Pearce is in it too. Haven't seen him in a while

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I hated hated hated Sound of Metal and I think a large part of that is how unrealistic the mechanics of that metal band would be with just a drummer and singer guitarist, I know, I'm broken

I know this was a while ago but i just got caught up with the thread.

How so with the unrealistic mechanics? I know there must be some Hollywood liberties taken, but you realise this movie was somewhat based on a real band yeah?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Everyone get pumped for the new season of Mr Inbetween on May 25th. Can't loving wait!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Looten Plunder posted:

Everyone get pumped for the new season of Mr Inbetween on May 25th. Can't loving wait!

I binged Season 1 yesterday. Just couldn't get in to it. None of the characters were likeable for me. I do feel like the production value is high, the story and dialogue are tight but the main character didn't work for me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1389558766115434503
A surprisingly accurate list imo, my only real objection is Night Court at 97

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Good Place is at #46 and Better Off Ted isn't even there.

The list sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oasx posted:

The Good Place is at #46 and Better Off Ted isn't even there.

The list sucks.

Dude just made a list of 100 sitcoms and declared it the top 100 of all time. Anyone who puts the Simpsons as #1 in TYOOL 2021 has dubious credibility at best.